price tag

what a mess

“Jinyoung, please,” the voice on the phone begs.

“No,” Jinyoung sighs, running a hand through his hair—his bangs were getting longer, he'd have to call his hairdresser soon. “I can't, I'm sorry.”

“Jinyoung!” The voice starts to sound desperate and Jinyoung resists the urge to sigh again. He briefly wonders what he should order for lunch. “I wouldn't be asking this if I had other options—”

“You could've asked someone else maybe. And I still don't understand why you can't do it yourself.”

“You know how my boyfriend is, and we've had this date planned for ages,” there's a pause before the voice starts to speak again. “I only ask you because well, you're practically perfect for it.”

“I don't know how I'm supposed to take that,” Jinyoung replies. “But no matter what you say the answer is no.”

Jinyoung,” the speaker on the other end sounds a little more forceful now, clearly not liking where the conversation ended up. Which made two of them, Jinyoung thinks, while he flips through the book he has on his nightstand. Maybe after he picks up dinner he'll head over to the bookstore to see if they have anything new. But before any of that can happen, he needs this phone call to end.

Suzy,” he responds, equally as exasperated. “I don't understand how your date still can't happen, the whole point of it is a date in the end.”

“The whole point is raising money, not a date,” The voice, Jinyoung's childhood friend, Bae Suzy, corrects. “And that's not why I can't do it! It's the fact that I'm taken and have been for a while and don't want other people bidding!”

“Aren't you confident about your looks,” Jinyoung comments, inspecting his nails. “Wouldn't it be a good thing to have multiple bids? Your boyfriend is going to be the highest bidder anyway, and like you said: raising money is the point.”

“Yes, but...”

“Are you saying you don't want to help raise money to fund the new hospital?”

“Park Jinyoung don't you dare guilt me!” Suzy huffs through the phone, and Jinyoung can picture her stomping her foot like she used to when they were eight and she didn't her way. Still the princess, he supposes. “I'll get you the Swarovski eagles that you want, and a new watch!” She tries to reason with him.

“Bribing me won't work, Suzy,” he sighs for the third time during this conversation. Sure the “gifts” would have been nice, but did she not think that he could get it himself? Plus, he really didn't want to do this.

“Alright, a new MCM wallet too! Thanks so much Jinyoungie you're the best!” Suzy declares happily, her light giggles traveling through the phone.

“Wait, no I—”

“Remember, tomorrow night at the plaza, 6PM sharp! Look your best!”

Before Jinyoung can protest, Suzy hangs up. He stares at his phone in disbelief; nearly two decades of friendship and Suzy doesn't even give him a say in this. He doesn't even know if he should even call back, not when he's sure she's already calling the host and the organizer about the change in lineup.

Jinyoung sighs, and glances at his closet. Forget dinner, he'll just have two bottles of wine for the night.





“Jaebum hyung, you know you're the love of my life, right?”

“And you don't know where you'd be without me, et cetera et cetera,” Jaebum continues for him, sounding half smug and half resigned. Jinyoung knew if there was one person he could count on to know what he's thinking, it's his best friend.

“Don't forget that you're my other half, hyung,” he laughs into the phone, moving to hold it between his ear and shoulder while he buttons up his shirt.

“Your better half, you mean,” the light teasing tone of the elder's voice puts a smile on his face, in spite of the dreadful event that looms over his head, less than twelve hours away.

“Yes of course..” he trails off, now moving towards his closet to look for his favorite oversized cardigan. Breakfast at the quaint cafe down the street didn't require dressing up, but Jinyoung often liked to anyway. What use was a large wardrobe if he couldn't show off?

“I'm sensing you need a favor from your “better half,” Jaebum says. There's a rustling on papers on the other side, probably from the paper Jaebum absolutely has to read every morning with a cup of Vietnamese coffee. Jinyoung resists the urge to roll his eyes remembering how Jaebum had lectured him on the importance of taste and blend, and how amazing condensed milk in coffee was. (No matter how sweet his coffee was, Jaebum is always more bitter than sweet. But Jinyoung loved him nonetheless, going strong for eleven years.)

“You know me so well,” he hums, grabbing a random book from his bookshelf to place in his bag. “I need you to buy me.” And there it is, out into the open with no ease-in or anything.

There's silence on the other end, and Jinyoung huffs, calling out to Jaebum to see if he's still there.

“You want me to what?” he finally responds, disbelief evident in his voice. Jinyoung can imagine the slack jawed look on his face; a hand on his coffee and the other one holding his phone while his face is painted a comical shade of pure confusion.

“You heard me, hyung,” Jinyoung says. He checks himself in the mirror, brushing his fringe out of his eyes. Maybe today is a hat day.

“You're going out for breakfast aren't you? I'll meet you.” And for the second time in less than 24 hours, he gets hung up on. People these days didn't give any warning anymore, or was it just his best friends? Jinyoung frowns at the mirror, deciding on second thought, no hat today. He quickly texts the address of his cafe of the week to his better half, the idiot that forgot to ask where he was going before he so graciously hung up, and walks out the door.



“That smells good,” a voice says from over his shoulder, causing Jinyoung to jolt in his seat. Jaebum barely manages to move his head away before Jinyoung's shoulder collides with his chin.

“Do I need to replace one of those earrings with a bell, holy hell,” Jinyoung says, holding a hand over his chest. Jaebum takes a seat before him, taking his sunglasses off when he settles in.

“Maybe if you get Chrome Hearts to custom make it I'll consider receiving it from you,” the elder smirks, his chin propped up on his palm. Jinyoung just rolls his eyes and holds out a fork with a piece of his French omelette. He didn't order much, just an omelette with a few slices of toast and an iced americano, but it wasn't too little he couldn't share with his dearest friend.

He lets Jaebum swipe a piece of toast off his plate after calling over a waitress for a cafe latte. The other may not have planned to meet him so early in the morning, but way he looked made it seem he had some business to attend to: a plain black dress shirt, probably designer like most of their clothing, an equally black pair of slacks folded at the ends coupled with a thin white belt, a pair of black leather dress shoes to tie it all together. Of course Jaebum would wear half his collection of accessories out as well, all the rings and bracelets and earrings were reflecting the entire sun into Jinyoung's poor eyes.

“If I didn't know better, it looks like you have a shoot later today or something,” he mentions offhandedly, spreading butter on his toast before taking a generous bite.

“The world is a runway, isn't it?” He grins over the straw of his newly arrived cafe latte. “But I didn't come here to talk about me. Now about that favor you asked me earlier...”

“Mhmmm,” Jinyoung continues to eat his breakfast, “What about it?”

Buy you?” Jaebum looks at him curiously, an eyebrow quirked up in inquiry. “I'm not going to assume anything or agree until you tell me the full story here.”

“It's nothing like that...just, ugh. Suzy roped me into something I don't particularly want to participate in and you're basically my only hope.”

“Aren't I always your only hope, dear?” Jaebum only laughs when Jinyoung kicks him under the table.

“You know the charity auction tonight?” He asks once the table is cleared of his plate, leaving only their drinks and Jaebum's sunglasses. Jinyoung swirls the ice around in his drink, wondering if he should order another one just so he could have the caffeine in his system.

“Mhm, Hyorin noona practically threatened me into going,” the other replies, nodding slowly. Jinyoung watches the indifferent expression on his best friend's face morph into one of realization; his eyes widened and his eyebrows practically shot into space. “Wait, by “buy you” you don't mean—”

“Thanks to one Bae Suzy I do,” he sighs, running a hand through his hair. “You're looking at auction number 14.”

“I don't know if I should laugh or pity you,” Jaebum ends up laughing when Jinyoung pouts, moving to pat the younger man's hand in a display of comfort. “How did she even get you to take her place?”

Jinyoung doesn't even get a word out when he just groans into his hands. “She made the decision for me, really. Do I seem like I would like to be paraded around on a stage and get bid on?”

“Well now you don't have a choice do you?”

“You're not helping.”

Yet,” he says before taking a long sip of his coffee.

“You mean you'll buy me?” Jinyoung leans forward in his seat, the hope rising in his chest. He tries to keep the grin off his face by biting his lip in case Jaebum's messing with him (he's not or else Jinyoung would commit homicide right in the cafe) and he pulls Jaebum's hand to hold in between his own.

“Just to save you the embarrassment of no bids at all,” he laughs, and continues when Jinyoung slaps the hand he has captive.

“I'll make an honest man out of you, Im Jaebum,” he declares, moving their hands so he can slot his fingers in between the elder's, clamping his fingers down when Jaebum tugs at their joined hands.

“I bet you'll be a terrible date.”

“Have a little more faith in me, love.”





Black and white is always a good way to go for formal events, he decides while he's standing in the middle of his walk-in. Though, it's a pity he can't just wear his light blue blazer—he looks super cute in it if he does say so himself. He pulls out a Comme des Garcon dress shirt, similar to the one Jaebum wore that morning. (They're both black and have buttons, there's not much else for comparison there.) He digs around here and there with the shirt draped on his arm, leaving the walk-in with black slacks and a white blazer.

His appearance didn't matter too much since it's Jaebum taking him out, and they were probably going to go to a steak restaurant and a karaoke bar later. A little smidge of eyeliner and a comb through his hair, he's ready to go. A quick glance at his dresser makes him grab a few silver rings to put on—Jaebum's into that kind of stuff. He might as well appeal to the one guy he's going to go home with.

Jinyoung sighs and looks at his phone, tempted to send Suzy a picture of him and his utter disdain for the upcoming event. The least she could do is check in on him, since it's her he's filling in for. But instead, Jinyoung unlocks his phone and starts searching for clutches; his best friend's latest obsession.

A token of appreciation, rather than a bribe.





“4,500,000₩ !”

“4,750,000₩ back here!”

“Is there a 5,000,000₩ ?”

“Congratulations bidder 12! You've won yourself...” Jinyoung tunes out Kibum's voice, sighing. He has a few more people before him and then he can leave. Luckily he isn't one of the last few like Kibum, having to be the MC and last “auction piece.” It's not that Jinyoung isn't all for charity, he would rather just attend and donate or something. Not be auctioned off as a date. He waves at Cha Sunwoo before he walks up to the stage, and before Kibum starts his long winded introduction of “Baro.”

Jinyoung leans back in his chair and looks around; they're hidden away behind the stage until they're called up and then people start shouting numbers. He thinks it's impressive how high some people go, and how lucky the hospital is going to be with the amount of funding they'll receive. People are clustered together here and there, glasses of champagne in their hands and gossiping about the guests and their potential dates. The evening air makes Jinyoung feel calm, sitting under the sky and people watching.

He holds up his glass in greeting when he catches Baek Yerin's eyes, smiling fondly at her glass of apple juice.

Taking a sip, Jinyoung wonders how much Jaebum will bid.




“And next we have Park Jinyoung! Just take a moment folks to take in this handsome young man, I don't need to say much else right?” Kibum says into the microphone, a wide smile on his face. Jinyoung has a matching smile on his face, his eyes screaming at Kibum when he turns to look at the other. The sly has the audacity to win and suddenly spin him around. “Looks like the backside is just as good as the front, folks!” There's a hoot from someone that suspiciously sounds like Jaebum.

When he turns back around, a smile wide enough to break his face into pieces and eyes crinkled that he can barely see the crowd, he pinches Kibum's side. “So let's get started, what'll be the starting bid on this lovely gentlemen?”

“2,550,000₩!” He sees Jaebum grin, raising his little paddle with a big blue “26” in the center. Jinyoung thinks in his mind its a reasonable number, but he still feels a little cheap. He sends a pleasant smile his best friend's way, looking to the rest of the crowd to keep appearances up.

“Not bad, is there anyone who will up that?” Jinyoung keeps the smile on his face and folds his hands behind his back, fingers crossed.

“3,500,000₩,” a voice says from the back of the crowd. A low “oooh” comes from beside Jinyoung—Kibum always got excited when things picked up—and he has to try really hard from gaping at the crowd. Who the hell is bidding on him?!

“3,750,000₩,” Jaebum shouts, giving Jinyoung a thumbs up. And Jinyoung thanks whatever god is up there that his best friend isn't cheaping out on him...much, anyway.

“4,000,000₩,” the same mysterious voice counters. If Jinyoung squints, he can make out a green “19” in the back of the crowd. It's getting a little worrisome, and maybe Jinyoung will have to throw in a new pair of shoes for Jaebum if the numbers keep going up. By if he means he prays Jaebum will up the bid and not leave him in the hands of a more unfamiliar rich .

“4,25—4,500,000₩!” Jinyoung sends Jaebum a small glare, noticing that slip in numbers. Was he that stingy? If Jaebum were in his place he wouldn't hesitate to go all in and bid 5,000,000₩! (The Swarovski eagles Suzy promised him would give him a return of 1,000,000₩ anyway, so it would all work out. That is, if it were Jaebum in his place. Unfortunately, he's not.) So Jinyoung grins and bears it, smiling and waving to familiar faces in the crowd.

“4,505,000₩” This time a female bidder chimes in, a blue “10” held proudly in the air.

“Min ssi with an outstanding raise of 5,000₩!” Kibum laughs into the microphone, and a majority of the guests follow suit.

“What can I say, his adorable face got me!” Jinyoung rolls his eyes, nevertheless giving his noona a cheeky little wave. He wouldn't mind if Min noona took him out, but he has a feeling it would end up the same way the last time she invited him over, he dogsitting and cooking while she watched her dramas and gossiped with Jo Kwon hyung.

So he looks over one last time at Jaebum, hoping he could up it by maybe 100,000₩ at least and hopefully end it. And the love of his life as he is—Jinyoung could honestly leap off the stage and kiss him; the spectacle of the year—sends him a wink before he moves to raise his paddle to bid again.

“6,500,000₩,” a voice that most certainly does not belong to Jaebum says. A wave of “ooooh” washes over the crowd as people start whispering and turning around to see who the high bidder is.

“Wow, an incredible 6,500,000₩ for our Jinyoung here from bidder 19! Will anyone outbid this?”

Jinyoung looks just in time to see Jaebum's apology grin and a shrug of the shoulders. He just turns way and sticks his nose in the air, both of them know very well Jaebum could easily bid more; Jinyoung would if he could bid on himself!

“Congratulations bidder 19, you've earned the company of our amazing Park Jinyoung for the night! Thank you for your generous donation, on behalf of....” Kibum's voice goes on and on as Jinyoung walks down the stage, smoothing down his blazer and brushing a few stray hairs away from his eyes.

He immediately goes to find Jaebum, and with no surprise to anyone, is standing off to the side with a nearly empty glass in his hand. As if he sense Jinyoung stomping towards him, Jaebum quickly downs the remainder of his glass and grins at the younger man.

What he isn't prepared for is jinyoung shoving his shoulder, hard.

“Honey, you're a cheapskate!” He hisses, grabbing two glasses of champagne from a passing waiter and handing one to his best friend.

“Don't be like that Jirongie,” he coos, using Jinyoung's childhood nickname against him. It earns him another shove, but much lighter than the first one. “I tried didn't I?”

“I hate you,” he grumbles.

“Love you too.”



The remainder of the event goes well, the two mainly staying together off to the side, not to big on socializing. Yugyeom, Jimin, and Yerin drop by their table to exchange greetings, and Yerin expressing her surprise Jaebum didn't win the bid for Jinyoung.

“It's a best friend's job to keep them out of bad hands you know,” Jimin says, holding onto to Yerin's arm while giving Yugyeom an “I'm watching you” sign. Jinyoung laughs, tipping his glass back.

“You hear that, Jaebummie hyung?”

“Your bidder is not so bad himself, you know,” Yugyeom says, a knowing glint in his eyes. Jinyoung can't tell if it's because he knows something he doesn't, or the fact he's about to tug on Jimin's hair.

It could be both; the tall boy winks at him before he runs, shouting about finding Kunpimook with Jimin hot on his heels. Yerin excuses herself to hastily walk after he friends, covering the smile on her face with a hand.

“Ah youth,” Jaebum says fondly, keeping an eye on the trio weaving their way through the crowd.



“Sir,” a waiter comes up to Jinyoung, handing him a slip of paper before he can ask who it's from.
 

Meet me at the terrace at 9:00PM.



Simple instructions printed on folded sheet of paper. How absolutely romantic, Jinyoung thinks, rolling his eyes. The person couldn't just find him and tell him directly? They are, after all, in the same place and not leaving until the event ended.

“What's that?” Jaebum asks, after bidding Hyorin noona a goodnight. He leans over to pluck the paper out of Jinyoung's hands, raising an eyebrow when he reads over the contents.

“Are you part of some secret organization now?”

Jinyoung shrugs, hailing another waiter over to grab a small sandwich off the plate. “A waiter gave it to me while you were chatting it up over there.”

“Suspicious,” Jaebum hums. “You have me on speed dial, and if that doesn't work, there's always 112 I suppose.”

“Ever so supportive,” he grins, leaning over to give Jaebum's hand a squeeze. “It's already 8:50PM.”

“So it is.”

“Don't forget me if I end up dead at the bottom of the Han River.”

“Never, and I'll visit your grave every day, remembering what a great person you were.”

“Oh, Jaebum.”

“Be safe, Jinyoung.”

“You guys are gross.”

“Yugyeom shut up, it was getting good!”

“You two....”

“Hyung ah, do you think our kids will be like that?” Jinyoung says, a hand propping his chin up and the other hand still on top of Jaebum's. He stares at his three dongsaengs trying to hide behind one of the light poles.

“I'm sure having any child with you will be a delight,” he winks, playing it up as much as possible for their spectators. Jinyoung laughs and playfully smacks Jaebum, much to Yugyeom's displeasure and Jimin's excitement. Yerin just shakes her head, dragging the two away from hiding to stand before her elder brothers again.

“Having fun, Yerin?” Jinyoung asks, taking a quick look at the clock in the middle of the plaza. Five more minutes.

“Oh of course, I enjoy charity events very much,” the girl responds, tucking a hair behind her ear while her companions continue to bicker in the background. "It's a good place to see everyone again."

“I see your usual quartet is just a trio today,” Jaebum comments. He makes eye contact with Yugyeom, who only sticks his tongue out in response.

“Bambam is over there flirting with every lady he sets his eyes on!” Jimin all but shouts, outing their friend to Jaebum and Jinyoung. The two snicker when Yerin hushes her and a loud “hey!” comes from the middle of the crowd.

“As much as I enjoy your company, I have to go now,” Jinyoung says, getting up from the table. He gives Yerin an apologetic smile and pats both Jimin and Yugyeom on the head.

“Careful on your date!” Jaebum shouts to him before he goes, holding up his phone as if telling him to call if he needs anything. Yugyeom rolls his eyes, “You'll be fine, hyung. Who knows, you might like them.”

And there's that glint in the younger's eyes again, but if he stays any longer, he'll be late. Despite it being a stranger, he can't possible keep someone that donated 6,500,000₩ because of him waiting. So he decides messing with Yugyeom can wait until next week, when they have lunch together.



He arrives at the garden terrace at exactly 9:00PM, if the bells in the distance weren't an indication. Jinyoung honestly doesn't know what he's expecting when he's greeted by another waiter, and is led to a more secluded area away from where he came from.

The décor is nice enough, lights hanging off the wood beams overhead, and a few flowers here and there. Perhaps the owner was going for a fairy garden kind of thing, Jinyoung didn't really know. Pretty, though. He's lead to a table where a man is already sitting...with another.

Jinyoung isn't going to expect the worst, but he's already gripping the phone in his pocket, fingers ready to swipe his screen open and call Jaebum.

The waiter pulls out the chair for him, returning the smile Jinyoung gives him. And it's not until he sits down Jinyoung realizes he just sat into a candlelit dinner. Two candles, sitting in the middle of the table next to a large bottle or red wine. He has a plate, as does the man in front of him, but not the one on the left. Who, coincidentally decides to talk as soon as Jinyoung makes eye contact with him.

“Good evening Jinyoung ssi,” the man greets, holding a hand out that Jinyoung takes. “Just Jinyoung is fine,” he smiles, they looked close enough in age for it to be fine. The man sitting across from him still hasn't said anything, instead watching their exchange with amused eyes.

“Right Jinyoung then,” Jinyoung's attention is back on the caramel haired man, “This is Mark Tuan, or bidder 19 if that works better for you,” he introduces. Tuan?

This Mark Tuan stands up, leaning forward to extend a hand to him as the other man did earlier, a friendly smile on his face. He's practically all teeth, Jinyoung thinks as he gets up as well, moving to shake his “date's” hand.

“And,” the man continues when both Jinyoung and Mark are in their seats again. “My name is Kevin Woo. I'll be your translator for tonight.”

Wait, excuse me?



Mark Tuan, 24, lives in California, US, father is the CEO of the Bank of Taiwan, and is currently in Seoul for vacation. Jinyoung nods as Kevin translates for him what Mark says about the Seoulscape, smiling in the right places when he hears something positive about the city. It's not like Jinyoung can't understand most of what Mark's saying; he did study a lot when he was in university, but...neither Mark nor Kevin need to know that.

“So, how did you get picked to be an “auction piece,” so to speak,” Kevin asks, Mark also looking at Jinyoung curiously. Jinyoung figures this was going to come up eventually, it's not an outrageous story from what he can tell and from Jaebum's reaction to it, but he takes a long sip of the wine before he answers anyway.

“It was supposed to be one of my friends here, but..” he trails off, giving Kevin time to whisper to Mark what he's said so far, “something came up and here I am.” Jinyoung finishes with a smile, just in time as their dinner came. (Steak—Mark seems to have good taste.)

“Well, I guess I got lucky then.”

“He says that's too bad, but he's glad you're here.” Jinyoung nearly chokes on his salad, one from Mark's response and two from Kevin's translation of it. He catches Mark's eyes, seeing amusement flicker through before it's replaced with a lot, and Jinyoung means a lot of concern. He almost feels bad for choking. Kevin rubs his back as he wipes his mouth, asking for a glass of water to clear his throat before apologizing to the two.

“It's fine...just took us by surprise, you know?” Kevin smiles at him reassuringly. Jinyoung nods and tries to steer the conversation back, and tries to forget Mark's...interesting comment. It's hard, when whenever Jinyoung looks up Mark is staring right at him.

“So what brings you to the charity auction? I don't think this is the type of vacation activity one would normal do for fun,” he asks, picking up a knife and fork to cut into the steak. On his left Kevin is calmly sipping his own glass of wine as he waits to do his job.

Mark's talking, but if what he says is only get translated to him later, Jinyoung doesn't really need to pay attention to him—only look like he is. He takes the time to just look at Mark, blame the shallow part of him, but he isn't half bad to look at. Mark is definitely handsome, he'll admit, maybe not as handsome as Jaebum (hashtag husband material), but just the kind of handsome Jinyoung likes. His face is a little long, and his smile is really all teeth, but there's something that won't let go of Jinyoung's attention. Maybe because despite the long face all his features fit together, and even though his smile is all teeth it's such a big smile it makes Jinyoung smile too?

“...and so his friend invited him here,” Kevin finishes, snapping him out of his Mark induced daze. He has no idea what Kevin just said to him, and hopes it wasn't terribly obvious he wasn't paying attention. So he pulls the oldest trick in the book and smiles, laughs a little, and says “Oh!”

And if Mark notices, he doesn't say anything. Instead he offers to pour Jinyoung more wine, which he accepts.

“I hope you're not trying to get me drunk,” he accidentally lets slip out, color rising to his cheeks as soon as he realizes what he's said. Kevin, the sweet, sensible translator that he is, doesn't hesitate to translate. (A very concise translation, to boot. Is it just him or Kevin is biased? He'll ask Jaebum later.)

Mark starts to laugh, his mouth open wide behind his hand and his eyes become halved in size when he understands what Jinyoung's said. It only makes Jinyoung feel a little more embarrassed, hiding behind his very clear wine glass.

“Don't worry, Mark swears he's not,” Kevin says, missing the wink Mark sends Jinyoung's way. He's beginning to get a decent impression of this American guy, handsome and flirty.

“It's a shame, I wouldn't have minded,” he says, taking a bite of his food. This time Kevin gets flustered, and Jinyoung knows Mark knows. Something passes by on his face and Jinyoung can tell the other understood what he said.

“You kids these days are so forward,” he hears Kevin mutter as he fans his cheeks, making Jinyoung laugh into his fist.

They ease into a conversation about their hobbies and interests, Kevin doing quite a good job to translate Korean and English, hardly ever having trouble finding the right words. Jinyoung learns a few more things about the CEO to be, that he loves dogs but never owned one because his sister is allergic, and loves skateboarding—his face helps him blend in with all the kids a the park, to which Jinyoung laughed at—and has all the Marvel movies on DVD because he likes all he special effects. Jinyoung ended up revealing bits and pieces about himself too: that he loves to read and spends 80% of his time in the bookstore near his penthouse or in a cafe somewhere with a good book, his favorite drink is a mint chocolate frappuccino, and used to love cooking until he discovered a very good chicken place that delivered at all times of the day.



Later into their dinner Kevin excuses himself to use the restroom, leaving Mark and Jinyoung alone.

“It's a nice night isn't it?” Mark suddenly says, ignoring the fact Jinyoung is mid-chew. He isn't as surprised at that than him speaking to him in Korean now rather than at the start of their “date.”

“You can speak Korean,” Jinyoung states more than questions, as soon as he's swallowed the piece of steak. Mark's teasing smile makes him want to lean over and wipe it off.

“Not fluently, but enough to get by.”

“Why didn't you just say you could?”

“You never asked,” Mark says easily, leaning back in his chair with an equally relaxed smile on his face. Jinyoung doesn't know how he should react; smash his face in with his plate or splash wine in his face. He settles for the third option: be civil.

“So Kevin is here because...?”

“Like I said, I'm not fluent. I like having a safety net, I guess. Especially since I'm talking to someone as cute as you.”

“Flattering,” he says rolling his eyes. His sarcasm is betrayed by the smiling on his lips, which only fuels Mark even further.

“Calling it like I see it,” he says and this time Jinyoung laughs at the clicheness of it all.

“I hope you don't treat all your charity dates like this,” Jinyoung hums, leaning forward in his seat, thinking Mark is a lot more interesting without a translator relaying his every word.

“Would you believe me if I said no?”

“Do you think I do?”

“Well, I guess I'll have to try harder next time.”

“Oh, there's going to be a next time now?”

“I'm sorry for that,” Kevin says as he sits back down, apologizing a second time in English to Mark. “But at least you two can get along without me,” he laughs. At first he doesn't know what Kevin's talking about, as far as their translator knows neither of them can communicate without him, and then oh. It's the big stupid grin he has on his face and the same one on Mark's face. Jinyoung hadn't even noticed.

“It's getting late,” the other says, glancing at his watch. The two are mostly finished with their meal; just a few bits of meat and potato are left on Jinyoung's plate, pieces he has no intention of finishing.

“Should we call it a night then?” He suggests, wiping his mouth and ignoring the look Mark gives him across the table. Pleasant company as Mark was, Jinyoung also had no intention of returning home late into the night.

“What do you think,” Kevin asks Mark, taking the older male's attention off him and giving him an opportunity to see what Mark thinks of cutting the date off. The thought makes me smile a little, enjoying the feeling of having someone pine for his attention. He watches him sigh and run a hand through his carefully gelled hair, muttering something under his breath and nodding.

“Would you mind getting the check for us, I'm sorry you just sat back down,” he asks.

“It's no problem, I'll be right back,” Kevin smiles back at them both after translating to Jinyoung that he was going to go find the waiter.

Looks like this is it,” Jinyoung says, swirling around the leftover wine in his glass. Seeing the surprised look on Mark's face is worth withholding his language abilities until now.

You can speak English,” he says, impressed. He leans in to prop his chin up on his palm, as if assessing Jinyoung.

You never asked,” he replies cheekily, using the same line the other used on him. Mark chuckles and Jinyoung smiles.

Touche,” The other says, his free hand slowly sliding across the table to stop before his own. Jinyoung glances down and back up to Mark, raising an eyebrow but not backing away, curious to see what the older is going to do. “About that next time...

Jinyoung hums, waiting for him to go on. If Mark Tuan asks him out, who knows, maybe he'll be inclined to accept.

“Sorry for the delay,” Kevin announces his presence, interrupting once again. Jinyoung's pleased he doesn't look as disappointed as Mark does, a rather cross expression marring his usually calm demeanor. He's tempted to reach over and pinch his cheek.

Kevin places the bill in front of Mark, tutting when Jinyoung reaches out for it. “Mark is the one footing the bill tonight, Jinyoung,” He smiles—god, is this man even capable of feeling sadness, “You are his date, after all.”

“Ah yes, I suppose that's true,” He says, watching Mark pull out a shiny looking card out of an expensive looking wallet. “What a gentleman.” Jinyoung smirks when he sees the ends of the elder's lips tug up in a smile. A gentleman and a er for compliments as well.

“Thank you for your services tonight,” Jinyoung stands to shake Kevin's hand one more time, “I hope our conversation wasn't too much of a hassle for you.”

“No, of course not, it's all part of the job. Though I don't think either of you need a translator for the looks you were exchanging,” the man laughs, patting Jinyoung on the shoulder as he walks past to stand beside Mark. Oh, oh. Jinyoung never liked being obvious; that was a real kicker to know he was making stupid faces as well. He rips up a spare napkin in annoyance.



The three leave the garden terrace together, heading back to the plaza to take their respective cars home. Jinyoung notices Mark trailing a little ways behind Kevin while maintaining their conversation, but he can tell the other just wants to talk to him. (Call him vain, but it's not like Jinyoung doesn't want to talk to Mark alone either. What can he say, he's become quite taken in the span of one dinner.)

..thank you for coming out tonight,” Mark says to Kevin, “I don't know what I would've done without you.

It's nothing, I was free anyway,” the man laughs, patting Mark's back. “Glad I could help with your date.

Ah yes, help. Jinyoung hides his laughter by coughing, causing the two in front of him to turn back. One in worry, the other in amusement.

“Sorry, it must be the air,” he excuses himself as they both turn back to their conversation.

Well thanks again, and drive safely,” Mark says, sending the other off when they reach the entrance. Jinyoung bows and sends Kevin off with a small wave.

“Good night,” he says. And then the lanky caramel haired man disappears into the night.

“Thanks for all the help, hm?” Jinyoung teases, brushing off some imaginary dust looking as nonchalant as possible.

“Maybe he was a little...unnecessary,” Mark slowly replies, “but can you blame a man for wanting to be careful?”

“I suppose not, and the gesture is appreciated,” he laughs, turning to face Mark. “Thank you for the “date,” Mr. Tuan.

“It was my pleasure, Mr. Park,” the handsome American man grins, showing off all those white teeth again. But before he can say something, something about a “next time” again, Jinyoung beats him to it.

“How about next time,” he leans in close to the other man's ear, nearly chest-to-chest and his hand on Mark's shoulder, “you don't bring the translator along, hm?” And just as quickly, he's walking away from his dumbfounded bidder, leaving a folded napkin with a few numbers scribbled on in his hand.

“Until next time,” he winks, blowing Mark a kiss before he gets into his car.

 

 



(And next time comes a week later, with Mark and Jinyoung in the bathroom of an opera house, the elder showing him just how differently he treats him from his “charity dates.”)

 


so i basically wrote this just so i could make this note and ask my question because i feel like im lying when i "update" this with not an actual update if that makes sense lmao so excuse the quality of this welp

but anyway question for anyone that takes the time to read all the way to the authors note and comments: is there any au you would want a continuation/follow up of? of the ones i've already done of course because as nice as taking requests would be you can already see how slow i am (and i already have one request and i am still...on that) but that isn't to say i'm not open to suggestions for aus because i like aus a lot hahHAha

and if there's any preference for chaptered stuff versus one shots! just...curious.........

i have a bunch of things started but like i said im soo slow and i appreciate all of you that read the things i write even though lately they're all pretty much pre-relationship status things haaahah i realized halfway through i already did auctions in that pirate/mermaid au lmao damn it

and please leave a comment or anything if you can it makes me : -)