The unsaid goodbye

The Book of the Dragon

I went home feeling way more frustrated than when I left. I wished I never went to that house. Though, after calming myself and thinking about what happened that night I realized all the things I discovered at their house about myself and those images that I kept seeing. I hurried inside Iron's room and he were already asleep. It were in the middle of the night so I couldn't really blame him. I considered if I should let him sleep and tell him in the morning or wake him up. I decided to let him sleep and bent over to plant a gentle goodnight kiss on his forehead. I made a weak scream as two hands grabbed my arms. Iron chuckled lightly and slowly opened his eyes "So you didn't feel like sleeping alone tonight?" He flashed an annoying grin and I tried to get his hands off me and keep a serious face. "You know, nice girls don't sneak into mens' beds at night" He laughed and let go of his grib o my arms. "I never qualified as a nice girl anyway!" I said and my face broke into a smile and I decided to sit down beside him. "So you are here to cuddle or what is your purpose?" He grinned and got up to sit beside me. "I just came bak from the Kims' house..." I said silently. Iron looked at me with a surprised expression "So that is where you went all night? Why?" I looked at the floor and wondered if it would be a good idea to tell Iron about the money problem or that would just make him stressed out like myself. On the other hand it would be easier to decide on a way to help the mothers with his help rather than expecting myself to do it all alone. In the end I decided to tell him about the money problem and that I went to the Kims. Iron scratched the back of his neck in frustration "Wait so you decided to sell yourself?" I looked away in shame "Don't say it like that Iron..." Iron tightened his fists "There must be other ways. No matter what, you selling yourself like some cheap gisaeng is not- and should not be an option!" I felt dirty by his words and harsh tone of his voice. I knew he just wanted to take care of me but I selt so ashamed and dirty. I couldn't understand why he couldn't see I just wanted to save this place. As that Jin guy said I should also consider the life of those who took care of me my whole life. But of course I wouldn't marry that Bobby guy I've never met who were too big a coward to show himself. Something must've been really wrong with this guy since he had to buy a wife and not let her see him. I wonder what horrors must've been reason behind it and what that Bobby guy were hiding and why. I held him tight. He wrapped his arms around me and said "Please don't mary him just for money. For any cost I will get those money okay? I am not giving you up for anything." He held me tighter.


I whispered "Iron there is one more thing I need to talk to you about" He pulled away and asked "What is it?" "I think I know what those images in my head is. I think they are linked to the Kims' family history way back to the Iron Age" Iron blinked a few times "So you say it IS possible this is about a previous life and you somehow have a connection to the Kims? That is really sounds too much of a coincidence to me." I rested my head on his shoulder "There must be a connection to this and why the Kims want me. I wonder how they could possibly know. It's impossible. That can't possibly know." Iron turned his head "Let's not think too much about it. I'm sure everything will work out. I'm here so nothing will happen to you." He wrapped an arm around me to comfort me.


About a month later Iron and I have worked hard to save money but were nothing even close to what we needed. Iron had been fancing his whole life and were pretty good so when he got qualified to the finals it felt like there were hope afterall. The price money wasn't enough but it were a lot so it sure could help the mothers and be enough to save us for now. We were so happy and we spent everyday training. One day after school Iron pulled me over and showed e the just released poster of the finals. "Look at this Jieun. Look at the other guy!" The finalists' faces wasn't shown as the pictures were taken from competitions and they were wearing masks, but Iron's name were there and "Kim SeokJin?" I asked and looked at Iron. Iron nodded "It's THAT SeokJin!" All his time as professional fencer Iron always lost to Kim SeokJin. He were the best fencer in Korea, maybe even world wide and got all the big sponsors behind him. He were the golden kid when it came to this sport and he were Iron's sworn enem and nemisis. Thanks to this guy Iron never won and never got a chance to go further with his fencing because this one guy were enough for the whole nation. Ususally big names in sports are seen as heroes and stars and become really famous but this guy were an odd one. He just fanced bt you never see him do anything else. He stated to a few interviews that he only wanted to focus on his fencing and everything else as fame didn't matter to him. His myserious being made girls fall for him like those idols you see dancing on tv all the time. Iron have seen that guy without his uniform and mast though and actually told me that guy were really good looking. He looked lie a model or some actor from a mainstream drama. I've never seen him myself and I never really cared about it either. Iron threw the poster. "This time I refuse to lose to him!" He yelled in anger. I wouldn't admit it but I slightly felt a drop in hopes of those money. "Let's just train harder than evr before Iron! I believe in you!" I said with a smile and tied to encourage him. This were our last chance so we couldn't give up. We trained really hard all day that last week till the final. I believed the determination we both felt could make him win. We had so much to lose.


The day of the final came and the gym were so crowded by school girls. Not all were there for SeokJin, even though the majority was, a few girls were actually there for Iron as well. Iron did have fangirls following him in his fencing career. I didn't feel too bothered by it. I stood there watching the fencing going on and that other guy seemed really passive. Iron went on strong and fast with each hit so it seemed like SeokJin had no other choice but to keep defending himself from the hits with no chance to hit back. A wide hopeful smile appeared on my lips as Iron got a really nice hit in, and got the first points of the game. Time passed and after a really long time Iron got absolutely no hits in but were still too fast for SeokJin to attack back. I looked at the time and there were only a few minutes left. Since Iron were the only one who got a point so far that would make him the winner. The only chance for SeokJin to win would be if he hit Iron twice but there wasn't enough time for that. I folded my hands and prayed for the time to pass as quick as possible. I closed my eyes and prayed with all my heart. I heard the bell and everyone were quiet. Since most people were rooting for SeokJin the silence would mean Iron won so I opened my eyes with a big smile and starting to yell and cheer with those few others who started celebrating the victory. I took a closer look and stopped as I saw Iron were knocked out and SeokJin actually won. I ran to Iron to see if he were alright and he threw his sword and mask and went to change. He looked really frustrated. I were speechless. The other guy looked at me and i could almost feel it. I looked at him and saw a glimse of that blindfolded knight from my vision that night at the Kims. SeokJin. I thought that name over in my head before calling out "Jin?" the guy just walked away after recieving his trophy and money. I knew that were the Jin from the Kims', I just knew it. But why did the Kims keep haunting me and making my life a living hell. I walked out of the gym and tears fell from my cheeks. All hope were gone now. This were our only chance of saving the orphange. I felt like we've let down everyone. I had absolutely no idea what to do now.


I sat at home looking at the black window. It were late and Iron still haven't showed up yet. I were sure he felt as down as me and just needed his time to calm down. He stormed in with a book in his hands. He grabbed my arm and pulled me to my room. He handed me the book "Read this. This is the book about the Family Legend of the Kim family." I looked at it and look at Iron who seemed to be crying. "Iron what happened?" He avoided me with his eyes. "SeokJin handed it over to me. It says that a Dragon ripped out the King's heart and thanks to some curse over the family that Dragon will come back to kill the King in this century. The only way to save the Kind is by killing the dragon or make an Angel break the curse" I looked at the book and asked "And what are you trying to say?" He looked me straight into the eyes and grabbed my shoulders "Since you were abandoned in a church they might believe you are the angel who can break this curse. However since you saw yourself ripping out the heart of the king in the vision and all your other odd visions and that ability to kill by a single touch.." "You are saying you believe I am an evil creature from the Iron age? That I am a demon fated to kill?" I pushed him away and cried "How can you even think that of me? Do you see me as a demon? Do you think I am a murderer?" He held my tight in his arms "We can't deny the fact you already killed people unintentionally and in self defence. I do not believe you are evil but if the Kims find out they will kill you." I tried to push him away but his grib were too strong and I just cried. "Then what do you want me to do?" He answered with a weak and shaky whisper "If you marry Bobby they might not suspect you to be the Dragon. They are such a powerful family I really doubt they would kill their own daughter." I slapped him as hard as I could "How dare you say all these things!" "I do it to protect you! You would be safer with them!" I slapped him again and ran away.


I were running on the dark streets. Black streets were surrounding me. I didn't relly keep in track wih where I ran till a hand grabbed my arm. "Hey cutie. You look thisty! Let daddy take care of you" I paniced and suddenly the guy dropped dead on the streets. I froze and felt like I couldn't breathe. Two came running at me yelling "Hey! What did you do to him you little ??" I tried to run away but some guy stopped me "Did you kill him?" He grabbed my neck tight but dropped dead as well. I were scared and tried to run back home. A police car passed by and stopped by my side and asked "Are you okay miss?" I cried "No please help me! I wanna go home!" The two guys grabbed my arm and looked at the officers "She killed two of out men!" One of the men tried to pull me away and I tied to push him away but he also dropped dead. The officers hurried out of their car to arrenst me and i ran away. I ran as fast as I could. I reached the gate at the Kims' and had no idea what to do. Jin came running and grabbed my arm "Miss Song what have you done?" I tried to pull my hand out of his grib till he grabbed his walkie talkie "Yes I got her here!" He took out some handcuffs and I paniced since I wouldn't spend lifetime in prison. I rested my palm on his face but nothing happened. I kept touching is face and neck and hands but nothing happened and he handcuffed me. It were like that vision wih the blindfolded knight. Is Jin that Knight and somehow my powers do not work on him? How could that be?


I watched the officers arriving and dragging me into their car arresting me for killing three men. If I did not end in prison I were going to die anyway since now the Kim family would know I am the Dragon. I closed my eyes as the officers drove me away in their police car. I tought everthing through and Iron were right. I were the dragon. I were the evil spirit coming back only to kill the Kims. Once I realized it I felt at peace like I finally got all answers of the questions I've asked myself all these years. Sure it were all a crazy story but it just made so much sense in a world where nothing makes sense at all. I wish I could just have turned back time and just have listened to Iron. Now it's too late.