A whisper from the past

The Book of the Dragon

Since as far as I remembed I had always had these strange images of historical scenes appearing in my head. It almost felt like a long lost memory of something that never happened to me. I kept brushing it off like it were just a weird thought that suddenly hit me. Sometimes they would appear in my dreams like an aweful nightmare. Those images were hardly ever nice. They were always about dark things like people dying or people in grief. The worst part must be the feeling of joy and satisfaction that were linked to all these images. I always though to myself that this would make me go insane one day. One day I might hurt others and instead of regret I would feel the way these horrorfying images makes me feel. If that were just all of my problems.


I have the ability to kill by a simple thought and a single touch. If I truely wish for someone to die a simple touch will make anyone fall to the ground dead. I don't now how, why and when this happened to me but it have been like this as long as I remember. Maybe that's why I grew up on an orphanage. I don't have any memories of my parents at all. They say I was left at a church almost right efter being born. I grew up with this guy named Iron. We are the only two left from our generation who never got adobted, and now we're almost adults and help taking care of the young kids. Iron is like me, he also have these strange images showing up in his head, but he do not have anything extraordinary about him like my ability to kill. We always stick together because we are the only ones that understand each other. Who wouldn't think we were crazy to see images of something taken from a fantasy historical drama? Iron's images however is slightly different from my own. He keep seeing angels along with images of war and grief. He don't feel satisfaction or excitement over these images, he feel this suffocating guilt and pain. Maybe it is just the truth of who we are, that I am actually a real bad person who is ment to hurt others. No matter what, I will fight that feeling of joy towards other people's missery.


Iron were a bit older when he arrived at the orphanage. His father was a criminal and his mother were too poor and sick to take care of him. He were around the age of 5 when he came here. From the moment we looked into each other's eyes we had a feeling we had a special connection and that we share those stange memories. We believe it might be a past life, but even so, why does it keep haunting us? And why am I a deadly weapon?

 

It were just a regular day at high school. I were about to eat lunch with Iron as always when I noticed he were later than usual. I took a look at the clock and half of the break already passed. I decided to start eating by myself, wondering what he might've been doing at that time. He arrived and took seat by my side "Where have you been?" I asked him. He looked at me "Can we please talk at home?" I blinked for a moment and nodded. The bell ran and I quickly fed Iron the rest of my food before we went each our ways to class. I didn't think too much during class, it were just like any other day and any other class. I just kept looking at the clock hoping for time to pass by quick as I were bored.


Finally class ended and as I stepped out the door Iron were there waiting for me. "Let's get home" He said and took my hand. As we walked further away from the school he took a deep breath "Something happened today..." I looked at him with a worried expression wondering what could possibly affect him since he were a mentally strong guy. "I bumped into this girl today. The moment I looked into her eyes it were like a whole lifetime passed through my eyes. Then she whispered 'Don't make any more promises you can't keep'. The images are so clear to me now and they keep hauting me like never before." I could hear his breath getting heavy and his eyes turning slightly red. I gave his hand a soft squeeze "What did you see?" I asked carefully. I wasn't sure if it were a good idea as I had never seen Iron being this emotional. I wondered who that was and what her relation to Iron were but it seemed to me like he didn't knew it himself. "This one angel that keeps appearing in my visions. She makes me feel like I've never felt before. I feel like something aweful happened to her because of me. There is something I am missing but I don't know what. Something about her makes my heart ache so bad and I can't make it stop. Like, if I have done something terrible." He took a strong grib on my shoulders and looked me in the eyes tearing up. "I need to find her Jieun. It's like a part of me is missing and only she can make this pain inside of me stop! It's like it's my purpose in life to find her." I were paralyzed as this was the first time he ever expressed so strong emotions. I had no idea what to do or what to say.


When we got home Iron went straight to look after the young kids like nothing happened but something were odd about him. I could clearly see he wasn't his usual self. I helped the mothers cooking for everyone. "Jieun, the Kim's came here again today." One of my mothers said and I sighed deeply. The Kims were a noble family and were some of the most powerful people in Seoul. That famiy were not only powerful businessmen but some of them were even very influential politians. They had been coming here often to adobt me as their daughter, but I keep rejecting their offer. Something was just not right about such a powerful family adobting a young adult who is to absolutely no use for them. I would only be one more mouth to feed and not to mention clothes and school and everything. I didn't know anything about business nor politics. If they had troubles having children on their own I suppose they would rather adobt a baby to hide the fact that their heir is not their own flesh and blood. I am too old to learn all that stuff. I already checked up on them and they even had one or two sons already. It were way too fishy and why would they want me so badly? They never asked to take any of the other girls or Iron and they certainly did not take no for an answer. I wondered if they knew about my ability to kill people by one single touch but I never told anyone but Iron so they couldn't possibly know. Each time I see one of them I have this feeling inside telling me to hate them, like they are my sworn enemies. I hate each and every one of them with their power and money and think they can have everything their way. They keep offering me so much money I couldn't possibly spent on a lifetime, like I were a thing or a e they can just buy for money. They made me feel sick.


We all ate together and Iron acted like his whole self but I couldn't help feeling it were forced. I wondered how much pain he must hide deep inside. I wish there were anything I could do. I kept wondering why that angel were so important to him. It all either happened in a past life or didn't happen at all but why would he feel so strongly about her now? He never met her. Why couldn't I make him feel complete? I were real. I were right there. Is it that she were this image of this pure saint and I am like a creature from hell with the purpose to do evil? I felt stupid for thinking too much about someone none of us have ever met. She is just an image in his head. But who were that girl he met who talked about a promise? I wondered if we would ever find out what all this were all about. I left the dinner table early because I managed to upset myself by thinking too much about everything. I walked into my room and Iron followed me. "Jieun, what is wrong?" I teared up "I just don't know- All this is just stressing me out. Why do all these things happen to us? The Kim's upset me as well. I'm tired and frustrated." He held me in his arms and dried away my tears with his fingertips. "It's going to be okay Jieun. At least you are not alone. At least we have each other, right?" I looked up at him and he pulled me closer and planted a gentle kiss on my lips. My heart went crazy and I turned my head away "I should help the mothers do the dishes." I stuttered and walked out. For some reason I couldn't hold back a litte smile on my lips.


I walked past the office and were about to say goodnight when I heard one of them crying. "-but where are we going to find that much money?" One of them said. I kept my breath and kept listening "There is absolutely nothing we can do." "Where should all the children go if this place goes down?" I couldn't believe my ears. Our home, our dear orphange will close down. I wish there were something I could do for the mothers and all these children. We need this pace. This is our home. I thought for a moment and realized there were only one thing to do. I went outside and ran as fast as I could. I got to a huge house and looked at the sign "It's here" I whispered to myself and took a deep breath as I dialed a number on my phone "Hello, Mr. Kim... I am Song Jieun. I'm standing by your gate..."