Chapter 1

Deceit & Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hey Eunji, wanna know something?” Kai asks me.

“What?” I reply, not really caring.

“I love you.”

 

That’s when I wake up from what I would call a nightmare. Kim Jongin was once a great friend of mine. We grew up as neighbors since day one and did practically everything together. Now though, he was the biggest player in school.

 

It all started freshman year. That’s all I know. I don’t know how or why it started, but that’s when it started. December 6th, 2008 was when I found the list of girls in our grade. June 11th, 2008 was when I found ten of those names crossed off. And the last day of school that year, was when all hell broke loose.

 

But he still, somehow, managed to swoon every girl, and rule the school. Yes, we were once great friends, but since freshman year, I haven’t spoken to him.

*FLASHBACK*

I sat on Kai’ bed, waiting for him to finish getting dressed so that we could go catch the bus. A red notebook on his nightstand caught my eye. It was the same notebook from before, the one with the list. I slowly open it to the list page and notice another three of the names crossed off. Now it’s at thirteen girls done and who knows how many to go. I scan the list of done girls and see who’s next.

 

Life seemed to zoom by after that. I spot my name, drop the notebook and Kai walks in. I stand up and storm out of his room, running out the door crying.

 

Later, at lunch, Kai found me sitting in the hallways, away from everyone.

 

“what did I do?” he asks, giving me a comforting arm which I shook off instantly.

“just stay away from me Kai.” I state, venom dripping off of my tongue.

“again, what did I do?”

"You know.”

“No, I don’t.”

“Your stupid goal, Kai! Your stupid goal and your stupid list!” I yelled at him. There was only about a minute until the bell would start ringing so the hallways had crowded quite a bit. Everyone paused and stared at us.

“shh.” Kai says, to shut me up, "You just about blew my cover.”

 

“oh, does it look like I give a crap about your cover?!” a tear was pushing its way out of my eye, "You promised Kai. You promised you would never put me on your list.” He stood there, speechless and I just pushed past him to class, never to speak to him again.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

And now, with one week of senior year left, I was the last one on his list. The final bell for the day rings and I rush to my locker to put my heavy books away for the day.

 

“hey.” I turn to the voice and see no other than Kim Jongin himself standing next to my locker. I walk around him and unlock the door. “Can we talk, please?” He sounded all-sorry but the instant I looked into his eyes I saw nothing. No emotion whatsoever. There wasn’t love or hate, lust or depression. Nothing.

 

I start to walk away from him without saying a word. He grabs my hand and pulls me back, “okay, can I talk, please?” he rephrases his question. I take back my hand, shrug, and continue to walk to my car. “Eunji, you can’t ignore me forever!” he calls after me.

 

“no,” I mutter to myself, “but I can for one more week.” I open the door to my mustang and drive home only to find that he beat me there.

 

"You’re not getting into your house without hearing me out.” He says, blocking my front door. I raise my eyebrows at him and laugh before turning on my heel and walking to my back yard. His footsteps are loud as he chases after me. Quickly tossing my bag up to my balcony, I jump and grab onto the lowest branch of my apple tree, swinging myself up. Once on the branch, I carefully walk to the end and jump to my balcony. I spot Kai by the tree and just smirk. This wasn’t the first time he tried to get my attention, but he was being much more persistent this week, that’s for sure. And I knew the reason for that.

 

I don’t really have any friends at school. Sure, there are people I talk to on a daily basis because they sit next to me or what not, but we’ve never hung out outside of school. In sophomore year, I had a ton of friends. One by one, each of the girls fell for Kai, got with Kai and got dumped by Kai. They never ever believed me when I told them what he was up to and insisted that he was the sweetest boy ever. After getting dumped, none of them would face me to even tell me I was right.

 

Last year I had somehow managed to keep some of my guy friends close by. But that too disappeared by the end of the school year. Luhan, my first and last boyfriend broke up with me after about four months of dating. I didn’t quite understand why, but just accepted it for what it was, it wasn’t like we were going to get married or anything. The day after he broke up with me, Kai sent me one of his evil smirks and I just knew he had something to do with it. So, like any curious girl, I approached Luhan about it. He kept denying it until I final threatened that I would tell my brothers what happened (they won’t let any guy hurt me…) Luhan was quite afraid of my brothers and finally broke, telling me that Kai did threaten him if he didn’t break up with me. Ever since that week though, I haven’t really talked to the guys.

 

And that, my readers, is why I sit alone at lunch in the library. It’s why my house is in perfect shape, and the reason behind my perfect GPA. Kim Jongin is the reason why I don’t go out on weekends, weekdays, or any other minute of my life.

 

I lay down on my bed and stare out the window until I heard voices downstairs. I knew those voices and knew that they would be talking about me. I quietly sneak to the top of the stairs to hear better. Suho, my 20 year old brother was talking to Kai at the door.

 

“I don’t know dude. She really doesn’t want to talk to you.” Suho says. I could tell he was feeling uneasy about this conversation.

 

“I just need one minute with her.”

Suho laughs, "You know her better than that Kai. One minute wouldn’t give you enough time to say anything.”

 

“what do you suggest then? Just randomly kiss her or something?” Kai suggests.

Suho puts his hand up to stop Kai, “first of all, she is my sister, so I’d be careful about what you say around me. and second, she’s not just going to run into your arms, even if you do apologize.”

 

“but-“

“there’s no buts to it Kai. You know I’m right. This isn’t an easy target like the rest of the girls in your class, for once; you’re actually going to have to work to get her.” With that Suho closed the door and I slowly walked downstairs.

“hey.” I whisper, sliding into the kitchen where Suho, and my oldest brother, Xiumin, were.

“well hello ghost.” Xiumin says, smiling.

“psh, I’m no ghost.”

“I’m in college yet I’m around here more than you are.” Xiumin says.

Suho nods in agreement, “he’s right, we barely see you anymore. Everything okay?” he asks.

 

“nope.” I say, grabbing an apple and sitting on top of the counter. “but that’s life. Not everything is supposed to be okay.” I tell them, taking a bite of the apple.

 

“right.” Suho says, not believing a word I tell him, “want to tell me why Kai was just at the door.”

 

I shrug. Both Suho and Xiumin knew about the list and the goal, but never really thought anything of it. “one week left of school” I say, as if that’s an excuse.

 

They both nod and walk into the living room, I finish the apple and walk back to my room, ready for sleep.

********

The week passed by slowly. Every day Kai would follow me around and I would ignore him. He has yet to tell me what he wanted to tell me. But today is the last day of school and tomorrow will end the list, and even though it takes all the strength in me to not talk to him, I would be able to do it for two more day.

 

I grab my math book from my locker and start walking to class. Suddenly, I’m pulled into a closet and the light turns on. I roll my eyes as I see Kai standing in front of me.

 

“now you have to listen.” He says, smirking.

 

Ha, he totally underestimates my intelligence. I slide my hand up and down his arm, smiling apologetically. Kai was so shocked that I was able to use my other hand to open the door. I give him one last smirk before I walk out of the closet and continue down the hall. “Eunji!” he screams after me, but like always, I ignore him.

 

School was over after Science, and I couldn’t be more than happy to be done with high school all together. I’m surprised, that, except for the closet incident, Kai has not tried today. One more day, and not only would I be done with high school and graduated, I would also be done with Kim Jongin.

 

“Eunji! Wake up!” Xiumin screams into my ear.

I grab my pillow and throw it at him, hard, “What the hell Xiumin!?”

“graduation baby! Our f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter