Mark My Skin (And My Open Mind)

Mark My Skin (And My Open Mind)

Mark My Skin (And My Open Mind)

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Don’t be surprised! Everyone is a few years older than usual! :) Enjoy!


 

 

21:38

 

Snow was falling down non-stop since the morning. A thick white layer was now covering the road and every item in the busy street. Kris refrained a sigh when he realised he had spent his day in and had had time to see the pale fluffy ice agglutinate on the concrete.

 

He quickly gazed at the clock on top of the door. He had been tattooing for more than three hour and he was feeling his client getting impatient and annoyed by the constant noise of the needle and hurt coming from it. With few words, Kris reassured the man: it was almost over.

 

Though, through the corner of his eye, he could see the large panorama of the street on the other side of the big window covering almost the totality of his shop’s facade and he suddenly had an unexplained urge to run outside and throw himself in the snow. The man’s groans of pains and weird comments on his tattooing style were staring to fall on his nerves.

 

But then, something caught Kris’s attention. Or someone. In a fraction of seconds, a boy appeared right in the middle of the large window and was now looking with big attentive eyes every movement Kris made. The boy was wearing a thick puffy orange jacket that seemed almost too hot for the snow falling outside. He had that gigantic red scarf that hid almost all his face except his curious eyes and an assorted wool beanie with a big pompom on top. Kris thought it was cute.

 

Seen the size of his front window, Kris was used to people looking at him while he was working so he just let the boy be and tried to finish his goddamned current work before he killed he man. The boy stayed a minute or two and was soon gone.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

Kris was a tattoo artist with a… peculiar style.

 

In fact, he first considered himself more as an Artist than as a tattooist. He had a unique style of expressing some things that wasn’t accessible to everybody. He first started with paintings, but it was too calm and technical for him; too long. He needed something that could be done quickly and easily.

 

That’s when in their teenage years his friends mentioned the desire to get tattoos that he started to gain interest in that practice. He had been lucky enough to convince them to let him practice on them a few times, even if no one was really fond on his… peculiar style. Chanyeol still had that kind of wolf on his shoulder blade. He said it was his lucky charm. Luhan erased his: he thought the kind of flowery unicorn on his left pectoral wasn’t suiting his manly image. Kyungsoo never let him approach his needle at less than 2 feet away from him. Too bad.

 

Kris opened his own tattoo shop about two years ago. It took him many years of cheap tattooing and attending tattoo conventions to forge his name and another two years at serving bad coffee to pile up enough money to finally open his own shop. His clients were mostly young artists in search of a fresh style. Too many times he’s seen people turn around because they didn’t like his portfolio, but he was okay with it because he knew he was unique.

 

His fellow tattooist colleagues in the field called him The Picasso of Jung District. Kris wouldn’t admit it, but he kind of liked the nickname. It made him somehow ‘renowned,’ which he definitely needed in order to achieve his goal of being a world-known Artist.

 

Kris didn’t seem like it at first, but he was a real er for arts. While serving coffee and attending tattoo events, he also obtained a major in Arts History. So much for having breaks and calm periods. That time was hectic for him, but it was the main goal in his rather boring life and he did all he could to achieve it.

 

Now everything had settled down and the only thing left to do was to perform his Art at full speed.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

8:05

 

The temperature was becoming warmer everyday and Kris was happy about it. Not that he hated winter, but the cold obliged him to wear hot pieces of clothing that were blocking his creative stream and if the snow wasn’t going away soon, he would be the one to do so. It was the same every year and every year Kris thought he was going to die from the cold reaching his (lonely, but not that lonely) heart.

 

He came in early this morning to work on new pieces for his portfolio. He had an interview for a medium-sized magazine later this week and since he had a surprising quantity of clients on his weekly agenda, his only free time remaining was during the mornings.

 

So he was seated at his drawing table at the extreme right of his tattooing room, the table facing the wall but still allowing him to look through the window if he shifted to the side.

 

His Siren of Misery was on good ways to resemble something when a shadow appeared out of nowhere in the corner of his eye. Kris finished a few traits and looked over his shoulder.

 

It was that guy. Somehow, he kept passing in front of his shop, not everyday but almost, and he always took a minute or two to look at Kris working. He wasn’t hard to miss: his gigantic big scarf always hiding his face and his funky beanie were quite noticeable. What Kris found strange though, [and Kris wonder if it was alarming that he now could tell] was that when he passed at night, the boy was clearly wide awake but in the early mornings, just as today, he seemed sleepy as if he hadn’t slept at all, if his extra-large steaming coffee could be any reliable indicator.

 

The boy looked attentively at his half finished drawing and frowned, tilting his head to the side. Then he looked at Kris and made a small finger movement designating the top of the image. That zone is weird, Kris seemed to understand and looked attentively at his work to notice that effectively the proportions weren’t totally good.

 

He turned to thank the boy, but he was already gone.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

21:28

 

Sometimes, Kris wondered why he chose tattooing as his main mean of expression as an Artist. The reason was that he totally disliked people in general. He thought they were all puppets controlled by fashions and multinationals.

 

He also disliked people who talked all the time, just as Luhan and Chanyeol, but they seem to be the only exception to his ‘quiet people’ code of frequentations.

 

That’s why he wanted to hit the woman on his chair with the thick sketchbook on his drawing table. Kris thanked the Gods that he was almost done because if he heard once again that woman’s rambling about the reasons she wanted to start over his life and how this tattoo was supposed to recall her of it, he would surely drown her in his toilet bowl and steal her money to flee to the Caribbean. Or to Canada with wild bears. He didn’t know yet. He was lucky to have a rather non-expressional face though.

 

Kris took a five second break to move his cramping hand and aching neck and looked outside. He was there again. His jacket was lighter and his funky beanie was replaced with a styled snapback. To Kris’ surprise, he wasn’t wearing his gigantic scarf today and Kris could now finally see his face. However, it was already dark outside and the streetlamps were behind the boy, sending dark shadows on his face’s relief. Kris couldn’t really move from his spot since he was working, which upset him at the highest point, but he sent a slight nod to the boy in acknowledgment. He thought he saw a flash of teeth, but when he looked again, the boy was long gone.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

21:08

 

It was early and Kris was already done with his work for the night. Thanks God. He cleaned his material and shop and sat at his drawing table. He didn’t feel like going home just yet and he had that image in his head he wanted to exploit before it went away.

 

He got his pencils out and started sketching. He would call it The Mirror’s Backside and it would represent two different points of view one can get on a same situation without really knowing every detail about each option. So much for the signification, he just wanted to draw what was on his mind.

 

He jumped a little when someone knocked on the window. Holding his heart in case it would flee, he twirled his chair and fell face to face with the boy laughing at him. It was dark again but Kris was closer and was able to clearly see his face. He seemed so young! Almost too young to be out every night like he was.

 

The boy regained his countenance and pointed at Kris’ sketchbook. Kris took it and showed him through the window. The boy intently looked at it, his eyes scanning the sheet. His mouth did that little pout of agreement when he nodded at Kris. That’s a good piece, he seemed to mean. Kris had a light half-smile of satisfaction. Then, the boy looked at the time on his phone and waved goodbye. Kris barely had time to make a sign of his own that the boy was already gone.

 

Kris was looking at the people passing by his window, lost in his thoughts. Who was that boy? Had he any peculiar reasons of passing in front of his shop almost everyday? And why was he always so tired when he saw him in the morning? Kris wouldn’t admit it, but maybe that boy was fascinating him a little.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

8:07

 

It was early again and Kris was waiting for a client who preferred early appointments. Who on Earth was functional before 9? His material already ready, Kris started a new piece for his portfolio in order to kill time efficiently.

 

The MindTwirler was more complex than how he first thought it would be. Fully focused, it took him good time to notice the presence on the other side of the window.

 

Kris was surprised for a second. The boy was actually older than he appeared in the dark! Today, his short dark hair was lightly spiked up and his tanktop was showing his sharp collarbones. Kris had to admit that he had style. He had style, but it looked like his usual extra-large coffee wouldn’t be enough to keep him awake. Was he okay?

 

Kris furrowed his eyebrows and sent him a short sign with his head. U okay? The boy raised his coffee and showed his backpack. Did he mean he had things to do and he was tired? Kris nodded and showed him his new drawing like the boy usually asked him to do at night.

 

The boy looked at it as he usually did, but then something flashed in his eyes and he smiled as if he knew something Kris ignored. Kris was confused but the boy kept his smile and waved him goodbye after seeing the time on his phone.

 

Kris was still confused.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

22:11

 

“I think it’s time for you to go out and get laid” Luhan chirped through the phone.

 

“And I think it’s time for you to shut up and mind your own business.” Kris replied while sweeping his shop’s floor. His customer had just left [finally!] and he thought it could be a good idea to get some news from Luhan since it had been a long time. He now believed he should have called Kyungsoo instead.

 

“You can be sure I definitely won’t mind my own business when I see my best friend work his health out and stay a for the rest of his life!!”

 

“Hey! Excuse you! I’m not a ! And when I’ll feel the need to get laid, I’ll get laid okay? I can have who I want.”

 

“Says the one who’s never been in a serious relationship. And seriously, Kris, That one time thing with Joonmyun doesn’t really count as ‘experience’ in my book.”

 

Kris sighed. Why was he friend with Luhan in the first place if he was always messing with him?

 

“Look, if you’re just going to annoy me I’ll call Kyungsoo instead.”

 

“Sorry, sorry.” He didn’t sound sorry, honestly. “So we’re going out Saturday night and you’re coming. It’s an order. I won’t accept any excuse. You need a break and dance a little will help you evacuate the stress, got it?”

 

“Yes, mom.”

 

Right then, a familiar figure appeared in front of the window. The boy had been running and his breath was short, his face shining with sweat. He looked into the shop but he saw that Kris wasn’t working anymore so he just waved at him and started running again.

 

He’s late tonight. That’s rare.

 

“…is! Kris! Are you still there?” Kris forgot he was still on the phone.

 

“Oh, yeah sorry. The boy was late tonight, I was wondering why. What were you saying again?”

 

“Boy? What boy? Are you seeing someone without telling me, Kris?”

 

Kris cursed. He forgot he still have not mentioned the boy to any of his friends.

 

“Oh, no, it’s not that! There’s just that boy who passes every night in front of my shop and stops about a minute or two to look at my work, nothing else!” Kris didn’t know why he was so defensive all of a sudden.

 

“Oh!? You have a fan! Finally!” Luhan laughed.

 

“Yah! I have plenty! You’re just too dumb to see the extend of my talent!” Kris’ ego replied.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” Luhan brushed him off. “Sorry, I gotta go! I’ll text you the information for Saturday night! Don’t be late and don’t force me to come and get you ‘cuz you won’t like it!! Bye, Picasso!”

 

“Yeah, bye!” Kris hung up and shook his head in disbelief. Luhan was going to be the end of him.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

23:38

 

Kris was late on Saturday. When he entered the nightclub, his ears were assaulted by heavily based pop music and he cringed at all the disgraceful sounds he would still be hearing the next morning.

 

He found his friends because Chanyeol was about half a head taller than everyone. Not that he couldn’t see above the crowd in the first place anyways. Kyungsoo was sitting with manners like he always was. He saluted him with a nod and resumed his ‘predator’ activity of eying the crowd in hope of finding someone interesting to flirt with. He might not look like it, but he was surely the boldest of them all: he was just wise enough to control himself.

 

Just as Kris was about to yell to ask them where Luhan was, a weight landed on his back and his friend’s voice invaded his ear.

 

“You’re late, !!”

 

“I’m not late, you’re the early one!” he replied and pushed the other off his back. Clearly, Luhan already had a few shots because never in his sober state he would have thrown himself on a still-sober-and-able-to-kick-his- Kris. Not taken aback by his friend’s words, Luhan pulled Kris with him towards the bar.

 

“C’mon! Let’s get you something to drink!” Kris followed.

 

“Minseok!” Luhan yelled once the reached the bar and as the barman approached them to take their order, Kris felt his eyes grow big and his mouth open in a surprised expression. “4 vodka shooters and two beers please!” Luhan yelled again and that’s when he finally noticed Kris’ expression. “What’s wrong!?” He asked, almost panicked because it was rare Kris moved any muscle of his face.

 

“That’s the boy…” Kris spoke, but because of the music, Luhan almost didn’t hear him.

 

“What boy? Your fan? Where!!?” Luhan tiptoed in an attempt to see on top of the crowd. Kris pointed at the bartender.

 

Because it was him, the boy. Kris connected the dots. He was tired in the morning because he worked all night! That was so logical Kris almost wanted to hide. That didn’t explain why he seemed to like his Art, though.

 

“Minseok? Minseok is your fan!!??”

 

“Wait, you know him?”

 

“Well, I come here every weeks. And he’s always working on Saturday nights so we befriended, in a way.

 

“Jesus, Luhan! Why didn’t you tell me earlier!”

 

“Why didn’t YOU tell me earlier!? I could have dropped by your shop and see if I knew him. You know I’m such a good social butterfly!~~”

 

Kris rubbed his face with his hands. He didn’t know what to do. He really wanted to ask the boy, Minseok, why he had such understanding of his work, but in the same time what if he didn’t want to talk to him or didn’t recognize him?

 

Luhan knocked him out of his thoughts with slap on the back.

 

“C’mon! Bottoms up! We’ll go and talk to him during his break.” Luhan cheered and pushed a full shooter glass in his hand and a bottle of beer in his other. He didn’t even think of asking how on Earth Luhan did know when the bartender’s break was.

 

So 4 shooters of vodka and two beers later, Kris was starting to feel the familiar yet still light tingle of alcohol in his fingertips. He went to dance with Kyungsoo a few minutes ago but the latter ditched him in order to seduce a tall young blonde and bored looking boy (A/N: Sehun). He was now alone in the crowd of dwarfs surrounding him and with nothing to keep him focussed on something else, the only thing he could think about was the bartender who was actually ‘the boy’ and his eyes ended up searching him at the other side of the room.

 

It felt like he danced for hours before Luhan popped up from nowhere and dragged him off the dance floor.

 

“Time to interrogate your fan~” Luhan almost skipped in front of him. “I never thought Minseok would have such weird artistic tastes!” Kris didn’t feel offended by that last comment: he already knew Luhan preferred baroque instead of abstract Arts.

 

Luhan dragged Kris out of the bar. The air was chilly due to the noticeable contrast between the hot moisture of sweat of the establishment and the dry sunless night air. Kris shivered. From expectation or because of the cold, he couldn’t tell.

 

They reached the alley behind the building where the service door was kept open with a box of empty bottles of beer. An old metal exterior light was emitting a constant and hypnotizing electric buzz, occasionally flashing. A bit further on the left, half lighted by the weak lamp was the boy, smoking. He was wearing dark clothes and around his waist was an apron and the typical short leather multi-pocketed apron waiters use to put money and pens. They boy had a different aura, a mature and blasé one Kris never thought would fit his image, but it was definitely perfect for the ambiance. He seemed lost in peaceful thoughts, smoking absentmindedly, his back against the bricked wall.

 

“Minseok!” Luhan called out once they were close enough not to yell. Said guy raised his gaze from the old pavement of the alley and searched for the origin of the call. His face lightened a bit when he saw Luhan. The friendly aura came back.

 

“Hey, Lu. What’s up?” he greeted with that manly handshake and shoulder bump proper to cool young men.

 

“Not much. How is it tonight? It’s crowded. You seem drained.” Luhan noticed.

 

“There’s a girl turning 19 so she celebrates with her friends. They’re dead drunk and won’t stop coming back for more drinks. They tip well, though, I can’t complain.” He took a second to take a drag on his cigarette before he added, “you brought a great guest tonight, Lu.” He looked at Kris in the eyes. “It’s nice finally meeting you, Kris.”

 

Kris almost asked how the other knew his name, but then he remembered it was written in capital letters on the façade of his shop. He extended his hand in order to shake the other’s. He almost made it disappear in his palm. “Same here. I deduce you’re Minseok?” The other nodded.

 

“Hey! Min! Luhan butted in before Kris had time to ask anything else. “Did you look over for that competition I was talking about last week?” Dance competition? Kris did know that Luhan liked to dance a little in his free time. Did it mean Minseok was dancing too?

 

“Hm. Not really” Minseok threw his cigarette on the pavement “I had to study. Exams are soon and I can’t afford to redo a class.” Classes?

 

“You have to join us on this one! We can’t win without you!” Luhan clinged to the small guy in a way that was supposed to be cute. It was not.

 

“I can’t promise, Lu” He then took out his phone and cursed behind his teeth. “I have to go back now. I’ll think about that competition, but nothing’s for sure. Walk me home and I’ll answer your questions, Kris.”

 

With that said, he was already gone. Kris vaguely wondered if he was a ninja in a previous life. He seemed to have a tendency to disappear very quickly without anybody noticing.

 

“How did he know I had questions?” Kris wondered out loud.

 

“Minseok is special. He just knows.” Came Luhan’s helpful answer. “C’mon, let’s go back in. It’s freezing!”

 

When they came back to their seats, Kyungsoo was hungrily eating face with the young boy from earlier. Someone would get lucky tonight, it seemed. Kris rolled his eyes. He couldn’t stand the sight: he honestly didn’t want to know how good of a kisser his friend was. He stood up and spotted Chanyeol happily exchanging with a short brunet in tight jeans (A/N: Jongdae). He decided not to disturb them.

 

He found himself back on the dance floor again. He was approached by a classy looking guy with a dimple digging his right cheek (A/N: Yixing, obviously^^). The guy was dancing rather fluidly and sensually compared with Kris’ long limbs wiggling and if he didn’t already have plans, he would surely have brought the guy back to his flat. But it was not his style and he already had plans. When that guy tried to drag him our, he made him understand that he wouldn’t leave with him. The other rolled his eyes and went back to hunt.

 

The music was starting to fall on Kris’ nerves when they finally shouted the last call. That meant he only have to wait another hour before he could finally know. Kyungsoo had left a while ago with his young victim of the night, leaving Kris in the pleasant company of Luhan whining because he didn’t have any ‘touches’ while Chanyeol was now chatting with the same brunet as earlier and what seemed to be a friend of said brunet (A/N: Baekhyun). The place was starting to empty and Kris vaguely wondered if he would have the pleasure to witness a catfight between Chanyeol’s two ‘new friends’ or if they would be okay with being three on their way back home.

 

“Lu, would you please shut up before I ditch you on a random sidewalk?” Kris kindly asked in a tired and desperate tone.

 

“You wouldn’t dare to do that! That would mean I’m really not attractive anymooore…” tipsy Luhan complained again. Kris stopped listening after that. Minseok was cleaning the counter and glasses while exchanging with his colleagues as if he had been doing it all his life. Yet again, he seemed so young. Kris’ leg started to jump in impatience. He couldn’t wait to get out of here and finally understand.

 

As soon as he could, he pushed Luhan in a cab. The latter protested, arguing that the other didn’t love him anymore. Kris sighed and promised to call him the next day when they would both be sober and rested. Kris watched as the taxi turned the corner and took a deep breath. The street was almost silent and Kris’ tired body and abused ears welcomed the calmness with an intense pleasure. That reminded him why he didn’t really go out in the first place.

 

“Oh! You waited!” Someone talked right behind him and Kris jumped in surprise. He didn’t hear anyone coming. He patted his heard and breathed to blow the shock away. “I didn’t think you would really stay.” Minseok continued. “Come, it’s this way.”

 

Kris followed the smaller and walked faster so they would walk side by side. Minseok was, as Kris started to understand, a very cheerful person. Even after his long night shift, the boy was still smiling. Tiredly, but it was a smile nonetheless. “So, how was your night? Did you have fun? I saw you dancing with Yixing earlier. Why didn’t you leave with him?”

 

“Well, you said you would answer my questions so…” Kris scratched the back of his head. Minesok pushed him in a friendly manner, laughing.

 

“You really are a curious one, uh?!” the smaller teased.

 

“Of course I am! I’m an Artist!” Kris replied with pride. “Now, light my lanterns. Tell me: who are you?” Minseok chuckled.

 

“There’s nothing much to say, really. Kim Minseok, 27, barman at night, graduate in the morning.

 

“You’re older than me!?” Kris’ brain stuck on the other’s age. He honestly thought he was not older that 23. Stupid young-looking Asian genetics.

 

“I am?” Minseok seemed equally surprised. “Aren’t you 28?”

 

“I’m 26”

 

“Wow.” They stayed silent as they walked in front of the familiar sight of Kris’ shop. Minseok broke the silence. “Do you want to know why I always stop in front of your shop?”

 

“To be honest, I wonder everyday.” Kris admitted.

 

Minseok chuckled. He seemed to be doing that a lot. “It’s because I love Arts. I can’t draw or pain to save my life, but I love watching the other’s work. I feel like I can understand them. My guilty pleasure is to try and guess every feeling behind the pieces. That’s why I minor in Arts History.”

 

“But why my tattoos then? They’re abstract stuff. Others are way cooler and clearer than mine!” Kris kind of didn’t understand how a ‘real’ Art fan would spend time on his modest work.

 

“Because cubism is my favourite current. Every piece has his meaning and cubism is a little harder to decipher. They don’t call you Picasso for nothing! Your works are as tricky as his. But my strong empathy can’t be fouled and I just understand everything you do.”

 

Kris didn’t know what to answer to that. He had a real fan. Not someone who only respects him for a unique artistic sense. He felt like dancing. “Thank you.”

 

“What for?”

 

“For respecting my work…… But hey! Why didn’t you enter? I could have shown you more of my sketches.”

 

“Well, I didn’t have lots of time… and…” He seemed to hesitate before he spoke again “I’m kind of afraid of needles.” Minseok looked away.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, really! Don’t give me that look!” Minseok sulked.

 

“Sorry. It’s just that you don’t seem the kind of person to be afraid of anything.”

 

“You’re right, I’m not. I just have a really traumatizing history with needles so I prefer staying as far as possible from them.

 

“Oh, yeah. It’s okay. I’ll show you my sketches another way.”

 

“Yeah. I’d like to see them.” Minseok stopped in front of a high apartment complex. “This is me. Thanks for walking me home. I’ll see you through the window of your shop on Monday.”

 

“You’re welcome. Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight, Kris.”

 

Kris waited for the other to enter the security pass code and enter his building before finally heading home. As he walked through the streets, he made a mental note to really call Luhan in the afternoon to thank him for forcing him out last night. Despite the tiredness, a light smile was risking his way on the side of his mouth. He had a fan. And maybe a friend.

 

Things could have turned out worse.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

21:41

 

Autumn was slowly creeping its way into the streets. People were walking a little faster in a vain attempt to keep the upcoming cold at bay. Through the weeks that followed their encounter at Minseok’s working place, the two Arts fans met almost daily at Kris’ shop. The Artist in, working on new concepts or actually tattooing; the Arts fan outside, observing the Artist’s every move. It seemed that without even having a proper conversation, both of them considered the other as a friend. The sings were enough.

 

A few times already Kris found himself relying on the smaller’s opinion to finish a drawing. It was subtle, almost imperceptible; that desire of wanting to please the other. The tall tattooist had always made a point in never taking the public opinion as a reference for his work since he knew he wasn’t really the most accessible one. But for his defence, Minseok’s knowledge was enough to give Kris reassurance.

 

He had just completed tattooing a young lady and was applying antiseptics when Minseok stopped in front of his window. The latter was strolling down the street, almost dancing to the music of his IPod. He was wearing a light worn out jacket, one of those that one like so much that he just can’t throw it away: the comfy style. The lively male took a look at the tattoo the young woman was now abhorring on his thigh. Minseok’s brows furrowed.

 

Kris tilted his head. He didn’t see why Minseok would make such a face. The latter made a wavering hand sign. It’s more or less good, he seemed to mean. What?

 

Unfortunately, Minseok didn’t take time to explain any further, since he once again looked at the time on his phone and signalled he had to go, waving goodbye.

 

Kris’ customer paid and thanked him before taking her leave. Kris tried to stay professional and send her off correctly, but all he could think about was the negative feeling his new friend had sent him a few minutes earlier. The tattoo was technically correct and the woman was satisfied with it so why was the boy not agreeing on this one?

 

That new rejection of his Art left a bitter taste in Kris’ mouth. He knew it was a bad idea to let someone this close to his works. He had always managed to stay strong. Even when the most popular tattooists and his closest friends were mocking him, he had been able to forge his own renown. What was different this time?

 

He locked the front door of his shop and walked back home.

 

Maybe a good night sleep would kick his pride back to its original strength.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

8:01

 

It had been a week since Minseok had frowned at his work. Kris didn’t find any valuable reason for it to happen no matter how much he turned and returned the question in his mind. He finally decided to drop the subject and move forward.

 

Still, he was a little more reluctant to show his drawings to Minseok. Earlier this week, the latter wanted to take a look at what Kris was working on. Kris pretended the drawing was too ‘draft’ to be shown. Minseok accepted the excuse, but little did he know, the piece was almost finished. Kris just wanted to keep his mind out of external influences for this one, as he had always done.

 

That morning, he was inspired in drawing a large landscape so he came in early to spill his main lines on the paper before his first client arrived. He had sketched the main traits when his phone vibrated in his pocket, making him jump. A texto this early in the morning was rare and highly unexpected. As he took his device out, he gazed outside, noticing at the same time Minseok on the other side of the window. He smiled and looked at the texto.

 

From: Unknown number

 

Hi! ^_^ I stole your number from Luhan’s phone yesterday, I hope you don’t mind. Didn’t see any of your sketches for a whole weeeeek! :o Meet me for lunch so I can see some? :)

         8:01AM

 

 

It took Kris a second to make the link between the unknown number and the big eyes in front of his window. Should he go? What if he gets a negative answer again?

 

Kris mentally beat himself for thinking that way. He wasn’t risking anything, for God’ sake!! He nodded at the boy and pointed somewhere higher on the street. Let’s go to that café at the corner? The boy nodded and typed on his phone.

 

Fom: Unknown number

 

Awesome! My class ends at 11. Meet you there at 11:30. Bye!

         8:03AM

 

Minseok waved goodbye and left. He had acted as if nothing had happened.

 

 Maybe Kris should do the same.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

11 :34

 

 

Minseok pushed the door of the little café and a draft of cold air brushed around Kris’ ankles.

 

“Hey! Did you wait too long?”

 

“No, I just arrived.”

 

“Great. My gosh, I’m so tired! I usually go back home and sleep after my morning class! Let’s eat before I fall asleep on the table!”

 

The two men ordered to the tall dark haired waiter (A/N: Tao).

 

“So, did you bring your sketchbook?” Minseok happily chirped while sipping the glass of water the tall waiter brought them when he took their order.

 

“Hm, yeah, I did. But may I ask you something first?” It was now or never, Kris thought.

 

“Yes, of course.”

 

“Why did you frown when you saw that girl’s tattoo last week?”

 

“To be honest, I think it wasn’t her style. The meaning was a little dissonant with what the girl projected. Like… it wasn’t the good feeling?” So it wasn’t the tattoo itself, after all. Kris was delighted.

 

“But she asked for it. I mean, she agreed on the design. Isn’t it her fault then?” Kris wondered how it would be to have Minseok’s empathy. Would he be able to create more suitable pieces then?

 

“Maybe. Time will tell. Now, show me those sketches!” Minseok greedily brushed the uneasy subject.

 

His eyes were roaming on every page, taking in as much details as he could.

 

“They’re all wonderful, Kris.” He said in a small voice, as if talking too loud would tear apart the drawing sheets between his hands.

 

“Hm. Thank you.”

 

“In fact, watching from outside the window and holding the real thing in my hands feel so different.”

 

“How so?”

 

“I don’t know. It’s more… intense? I can’t put words on it…” That was a rare occurrence.

 

“Oh”

 

Somehow, Kris found that he was almost talking uniquely by monosyllables. Not that he could really place a line though: Minseok was talking almost non-stop, halting only to listen to Kris’ monosyllables. Maybe Minseok was another exception to his ‘quiet people’ code of frequentations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minseok had almost finished his minestrone soup when he finally asked what he wanted to ask when he invited the Artist for lunch, the sketches being only an excuse. He did want to see them, but that question was more important to him than the lines on the paper.

 

He cleared his throat. “In fact, I didn’t invite you only to look at your sketches.” Kris looked at him interrogatively.

 

“Really? Why? What is it?” Kris imagined the worst.

 

“I wanted to ask you… would you… design me something?”

 

“You mean a tattoo?” Kris asked, surprised. Minseok nodded.

 

“Yes. I’ve been considering it for a while now.” Minseok confirmed with confidence.

 

“But aren’t you… scared of needles?”

 

“I am. But I think it’s time for me to face my fears. I’m a grown man now. I can’t let my past control my life. And I want a tattoo. I find them cool.”

 

“Oh. Yes, yes of course.” Kris answered dumbly. “It would be a pleasure to create something for you. Do you have any preferences?”

 

“Surprise me.” Minseok dared.

 

“Hell yeah, I sure will!” Kris replied the dare with an overly confident attitude before he added more casually: “Maybe you can drop by when I tattoo someone. Like that, maybe you’ll get used to the sound of the needle. It might make the experience a little less frightening. Like mental preparation or something. Maybe. I don’t know!”

 

“I will.” A smile stretched Minseok’s face, shaping his eyes in tiny little crescents.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

13:42

 

“What are you doing inside at this hour!? Come play in the leaves with us! Chanyeol wants his revenge for the sumo battle he lost last year! Bring your here ASAP!”

 

Luhan pulled Kris out of his artistic trance on this sunny autumn afternoon. Kris was cloistered at home trying to work on Minseok’s request, but nothing good was coming out. He had almost filled his bin with crumpled drawing sheets, but all of his ideas were good for nothing. Maybe he didn’t know the other enough yet. They had had lunch together a few times during the last few weeks, every time on the same day at the same hour considering Minseok’s irregular schedule. They talked about nothing and everything, but somehow always managed to end up exchanging about the last exposition at the national gallery or that promising sculptor or painter working in the ‘underground’ new wave of Artists. Finally, Kris had found someone with whom sharing his Love for Arts. He sure had a few university friends, but none of them were as connoisseur as Minseok.

 

“KRIS!! For Christ’ sake! Don’t make me come and get you because you won’t like it!!” Luhan menaced again. He had the same threats since forever and Kris never saw them in action. Kris chuckled.

 

“As if you could scare me. I’ll be there in 30 minutes.” On that, he hung up. He didn’t want to hear Luhan whine anymore.

 

He knew inspiration wouldn’t come today again, so why not spend a little time with his dearest friends since he had a long, free weekend ahead.

 

“YAH!” Was Luhan’s kind way of welcoming him. “You hung up on me!! And why didn’t you answer earlier! I called you three times!”

 

“You called three times?” Kris had only heard his phone once. His incoming call history was indeed displaying three missed call in a bright aggressive red.

 

“Uh, yeeaah! What were you doing? Watching so loud you didn’t even hear your phone?” Luhan was as crude as always. Kris rolled his eyes.

 

“I was drawing okay! Minseok asked me to design him something and I can’t even finish a sketch, they all !” He said in an exasperated tone.

 

“What’s wrong, hyung? Did he ask you for something impossible?” Chanyeol enquired.

 

“No, he gave me carte blanche, that’s the problem! How am I supposed to know what he wants?” Kris sighed and thought that he was putting a little too much pressure on himself. It was only a tattoo.

 

“Why don’t you just draw about what he likes? Flowers or cats or anything.” Kyungsoo butted in with his blaze face.

 

“I’m trying, Kyungsoo. All we ever talk about is Arts…Wait. That’s perfect actually.” And his three friends saw Kris’ gaze go far, far away in the labyrinth of his brain in an intense thinking session. He blinked two minutes after and smiled. “Thanks, dudes.”

 

They pushed him into the pile of leaves they were trying to sweep up.

 

And Chanyeol lost his sumo battle.

 

Again.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

11:43

 

Kris was having lunch with Minseok again. He looked with amusement as the other pulled off his beanie with a huge pompom. Temperature was dropping everyday and Kris wondered when he would have the pleasure to see the Red Scarf again.

 

“How are you?” He asked to the smaller who was almost hitting his head on the table. “Rough exams period?”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” Minseok retorted. “This teacher is going to drive me crazy! How does he want me to write those stupid 20 pages for next week!!”

 

“You’re talking about the one giving the ‘Modern and Contemporary Arts’ class?”

 

“The one and unique” Minseok grumbled.

 

“I had him too. He tends to give the instructions at the last minute since he knows nobody do the work early anyways. I pulled an all-nighter or two but I managed. You’ll get through it.”

 

“Yeah, considering the fact that I pull all-nighters everyday!”

 

They laughed wholeheartedly at the irony.

 

“So, how are you doing with my sketch?” Minseok asked curiously. He was getting more and more excited every time he asked about it.

 

It had been six weeks since Minseok asked him for a tattoo. It had been five weeks since Kris’ illumination while sweeping up autumn leaves with his friends and it had been four weeks and six days since Kris started working on his concept.

 

He first started by a general sketching of the main lines and principal elements. Then he did it again in a more precise way; and he did it another time and another time until the drawing was precise and detailed, just as he wanted.

 

“I’m progressing. I’m working on something else for the moment. I want to look at it with a fresh mind before adding the colours and missing details.”

 

“When will it be ready?”

 

“I can’t tell. Soon.”

 

“Okay.” Kris could see Minseok’s excitation though the latter was trying to stay calm and composed.

 

Kris almost felt guilty to make him wait like this, but there was no way he would present a ‘draft’ work to this connoisseur. He had too much pride and a reputation to maintain.

 

And maybe he wanted to impress him too.

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

11:28

 

Instead of going for their usual lunch meeting, Minseok had dropped by Kris’ shop.

 

It was his first time setting foot in such a place and what first hit him were Kris’ drawings in bigger or smaller format hanging on the walls. He felt like he had just entered a gallery.

 

Then, a constant and shrilling sound reached his hears and he realised it was the needle. The needle. He took a deep breath before he called out for Kris. He saw him earlier when he passed in front of the window. He was currently with a client, but Minseok guessed he wouldn’t mind taking a minute break to welcome him.

 

Just as he guessed, he saw Kris coming from behind the thin screen separating the work area from the waiting room. The Artist seemed surprised.

 

“Hey, Minseok! What are you doing here? Something wrong?”

 

“No. I’m fine. I just thought I’d drop by to, you know, get used to the needle and everything like we said the other day…”

 

“Oh, right! Come.” Kris invited him on the other side of the screen. “You have a nice scarf, by the way” he added with a wink and Minseok was happy he had it to hide his lightly colouring embarrassed face. “Jongin-ssi, would you mind if my friend watched as I finish your tattoo?” Kris asked his customer who was waiting for him in the marine blue leather chair. Minseok thought he would be the one sitting there soon. He gulped.

 

Said Jongin shook his head and smiled timidly. “I don’t mind.”

 

Minseok took off his scarf, beanie and winter jacket and sat in a corner. Not too close, but not too far. He had already seen Kris at work, but with the sound it was…unique. That assaulting noise was highly unpleasant and Minseok thought he wouldn’t be able to endure it any longer when Kris finished and finally stopped his machine. He next cleaned and bandaged the abused skin of is client before sending him off. Minseok saw the client, Jongin, almost dancing when he passed in front of the window. Minseok refrained a smile: Kris’ Art had such an effect on people.

 

“Come here, I’ll show you how it works.” Minseok quickly turned his head towards him. He was not sure he wanted to see the tools up close, but he came anyways. Kris wouldn’t do him any bad, would he?

 

And as Kris patiently showed him and explained how every part of the equipment worked, Minseok found himself thinking that it wouldn’t actually be that bad. The needle was so small compared to a syringe’s one. Minseok decided that the practice was safe. He wasn’t sure he would still think the same when he would be the one sitting on the big marine blue leather chair though.

 

Kris saw his sceptical face. “Don’t worry, I’ll show you again when I tattoo you.” He said calmly and patted his head. Minseok nodded and yawned. It was time to go to bed.

 

When Minseok reached home, he added to his agenda under the ‘December 20th’ in a bright red mark ‘TATTOO!!! 13h’

 

 

X~X~X~X

 

12:58

 

Kris heard the tilting of the bell on top of the door. He was waiting for Minseok Today was the day.

 

The small Art fan pulled off his scarf and beanie, beaming.

 

“Hi!”

 

“Hey! So today’s the big day. Are you ready?” Kris asked as he hung Minseok’s jacked on a hook.

 

“Physically, yes. Mentally, not a single bit.”

 

“Come on, I’ll show you the place and material again.” Kris didn’t lose any time. He knew that if he allowed himself to be distracted, Minseok would start feeling uneasy and would want to back up. He knew because he had been working for a while now and people who were scared like Misneok shouldn’t be left thinking about everything in the wild. Minseok had taken place on the marine blue leather chair. Kris was about to ask his new client to pull off his shirt when he changed his mind at the last second. “Do you want to see the sketch before I start?”

 

“No. It’s a surprise, remember? “

 

“Oh, right. I’ll need you to take off your shirt now. Or only a sleeve if you prefer. It’s a little cold because of the window. I just need to have access to your left ribs and pectoral.” The proper patch of skin exposed, Kris started by washing it before he ‘printed’ with a temporary tattoo the main guidelines on the zone he had decided to cover in his deep-skin ink drawings. “I’ll start the machine now. Don’t be surprised. If there’s anything, you stop me immediately, okay?” Kris waited for the other’s nod before he moved slowly not to make him panic.

 

Minseok almost jump when the needle made the first contact with his skin. He fisted the armrests of the leather chair. He felt the scratching on the thin flesh under his pectoral and across his higher ribs. His heart was beating a little faster than usual from anticipation to a new foreign scary experience. Last time he was this scared, he remembered, was when he had tried that giant roller coaster with his cousin when he was 24.

 

He didn’t look. He wanted to because when Kris was working, he was taking this concentrated straight face that made Minseok want to pinch his cheeks and pull the skin so it would smile. Minseok believed Kris was handsome when he smiled. He did not look, because he knew that he would feel bad or was risking of provoking a panic attack since he wasn’t calm at all for the moment. He was letting the needle touch him, he wasn’t going to look at it on top of that! He thought he had made a great effort. 

 

Minseok spent all the process looking around the place. Kris was maintaining a light conversation, thing that he would never have done by himself seeing the present situation. The latter asked him how he did on his final exams, what he would do for Christmas and lots of things with more or less interest. Minseok just knew Kris was keeping his mind busy with a conversation so he wouldn’t think of what he was enduring at the moment.

 

Though even with a slight conversation, Minseok started to become bored. Bored and on his nerves. He wanted to ask when he it would finally be over, but his pride prevented it, thinking it was way too childish to do so. His feet were moving impatiently, which Kris obviously noticed.

 

“It’s almost done. Just 10 more minutes and it should be good.” He reassured and sent a light smile towards Minseok who, for once, looked at him, too happy to hear the news.

 

“Okay.”

 

The next 10 minutes were pure torture: Minseok wasn’t used to staying still for such a long time. Moreover, he could feel his heartbeat in his freshly tattooed skin. Hopefully the throbbing would go away soon. A silence filled by the buzzing of the needle echoed into the shop until Kris announced he was done. Finally. Minseok almost laughed a crazy laugh of delight.

 

“I’m done. I’ll put antiseptic on it and then you can see it. Are you excited.” Minseok nodded furiously.

 

Minseok grabbed the mirror Kris handed him and walked in front of the shop’s giant one, happy to finally move after a long ‘posing’ session. He did not know what he was expecting to see. All he knew was that his eyes widened when he realised just what Kris had put on his chest.

 

He spent long seconds traveling his gaze on every part of the tattoo, analyzing it.

 

His eyes watered in emotion but he did not cry.

 

“Kris… how did you know?… You put a whole world on my chest. It’s me through the window and it’s you looking at the world. It’s my walks through the snow, my scarf, late nights at the bar, the underground Arts. You put Arthur Dove’s landscapes in Kandinsky’s colours and shapes, all lost it Picasso’s grotesque. It’s… it’s… how?” (A/N: Don’t ask me what it looks like, I have no idea! Kris is so unpredictable….¬_¬)

 

“May I remind you that all your conversations revolve around those Artists?” Minseok scratched the back of his head and smiled sheepishly. “You frowned at an unsuitable tattoo and asked me to surprise you. I had to tattoo you. Not any idea that would have popped up in my head out of the blue. I’m sorry it took so long.”

 

“It’s okay, it’s… thank you.” Minseok was out of words.

 

“No. Thank you. You’re my biggest fan and through your eyes, I’ve got a new vision of my own Art. I could never thank you enough for that. This is my work for you and you alone. As a sincere thanks.”

 

“Your work is worth it, Kris. No matter what they say, I’ll keep following your progresses.”

 

“Thank you”

 

They stared at each other for a moment, not really having anything else to say, both a little lost in their thoughts. Miseok was the first to come back to reality. He made a move in order to reach for his wallet, but Kris stopped him.

 

“You don’t owe me anything. I told you, it’s a gift.”

 

“But I can’t accept! It’s too much! I would feel bad. I insist!”

 

“I won’t accept any form of monetary compensation coming from you, Kim Minseok.” Kris replied, firm on his ideas. Minseok almost felt bad, but Kris’ next words made the uneasiness disappear. “If you really want to thank me, just come over for Christmas. The boys and I are having the traditional mature session of beer abuse and anti-Christmas spirit action movies.”

 

“I wouldn’t want to intrude…” Minseok was definitely a too polite fellow.

 

“Don’t tell me you’re shy!! You know Luhan and you met Chanyeol and Kyungsoo at the bar already. There’s no pressure here! And we all like you so it there’s no need to worry about such details.”

 

“Really?” Minsek raised his big eyes towards Kris, a little intimidated. ‘We all like you.’ Do you really, Kris?

                       

“Really.” Kris answered and patted his head. “You’re coming, it’s an order.”

 

“Okay.” Minseok beamed and started clothing himself to brave the cold. “Goodbye, Kris. See you on Sunday then. And… Thank you.”

 

“Don’t mention it. See you soon. And don’t forget! 7pm.”

 

“I won’t.” Minseok smiled and left.

 

The small Art fan waved goodbye from the other side of Kris’s shop window, his winter garment only letting show his eyes. Kris waved back and smiled. He was happy.

 

Happy to have found someone who truly understood him. Someone whom he thought wasn’t even existing.

 

Someone he could call a friend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(A/N: Don’t get me wrong here!! :o Kris truly considers Luhan, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo as his friends!!!! Minseok just understands the functioning of his brain better! That’s part of what a friend is, I believe. Someone whom you understand and who understands you back! It’s also part of the dating thing. Did you see the small hints I left through the text…? :p)


A/N: Aaaaaaannd there you go! I hoped you liked it dear readers because It took me so much time and honnestly it was so much better in my head! ¬_¬ But! I did it!  If the author's note break the vibe in the text, just say it and I'll remove them ^_^

Comments are looooved! In a constructive way! :D

Thankd for taking time! And I hope to see you soon! ^__^ <3