chap. 5

Past Vs. Present

Ivan slacked off at Tao's place for a week. They got more close and he's almost living with him on the apartment. Actually he already asked Tao if he can move in with him or the other way round, if Tao can move to his condo. Tao said he'll think about it because it'll be a lot of work if he moves out.

Right now, Tao is at his work and Ivan is in the apartment watching some tv while constantly sending Tao a bunch of funny jokes from the the program he's watching. Even if he knows Tao won't send any reply he still did it. He's having fun sending messages to his friend when he received a message from his manager. He finished typing the latest joke then send it to Tao before finally opening the message from his manager.

 

~~~

From: Monster Manager

Ivan you have a shoot today. Famous photographer from China requested for you. 3pm at the studio. Don't be late and don't you dare ditch this one.

~~~

 

He smiled at the message, he practically imagined his manager killing everyone on the road if he ditch again. He risked 1 photo shoot and lied to his manager about getting sick when Tao and him went to the mall to do some shopping. Then after that day they're on the news, Ivan almost got killed by his manager who turns to a monster as soon as he set foot to their office.

 

~~~

To: Monster Manager

I'll be there sir :D

~~~

 

After sending his reply he looked at the clock that was hanging just right above the tv. When he saw the time he almost falls from the couch from panicking.

"The !" he cursed.

The shoot is 3pm and it's already 2:30pm. Guess his manager is getting back at him for ditching that one photo shoot. He really deserved the contact name, he's merciless. Ivan took a 5 minute bath, he broke his record of 7 minutes. Then after that hurried to the studio that is luckily and thankfully not that far from Tao's apartment. 3pm sharp he opened the door of his manager's office while running out of breath from running as fast as he can.

"Glad you're here. You're a minute late." his manager said while pushing up his glasses.

"You're kidding." he said.

"Fix yourself. You don't want Mr. Han & Mr. Wu here to think you're a troublesome model right?" Ivan looked at the couch inside the office only to be surprised at who he saw. The two boys are all smiles to him and from the pit of his stomach he knows that this shoot is gonna be a looong and haard one.

"Hello. I believe you already know us. But I'll still introduce my self. My name is Lu Han, you can call me Lu if you want. And this is Wu YiFan, but you can call him Kris." the guy who introduced himself as LuHan said.

"It's nice to officially meet you. So you're the famous ones huh~" Ivan saw how Kris' face changed. He said that on purpose, it's not that meaningful to him but judging at the way Kris reacted he guessed he heard it in a whole different light. It's not like he cares, they came to him first. If they want war then it's war they're gonna get.

"Yes Ivan. They're so famous in China. So you kinda know them?"

"No. I just heard a lot about them from a dear friend." he said while looking at the two. "Well. It's nice to meet you again. I'll excuse myself for a while to fix my appearance. My manager is kind of a devil so I ran just to be here on time. Please excuse me."

With that, he walked out of the room with a smirk. He went to the bathroom to fix himself just like what he told to them. When he's sure that he looks perfect he took out his phone and sends a message to Tao.

 

~~~

To: Panda Bae~

Hey~ I'm at work right now. I'll bring back some Ice cream and cake later. My photographers for today are both Chinese. Wish me luck. It'll be so much fun. Can you call me when you receive this?

~~~

 

He's not planning to tell Tao. At least not until he's sure what those two guys want with him and why they approached him instead of Tao. When he entered the office again. His manager, LuHan and Kris are already discussing the theme for the shoot and everything they need to do. They chose a street style one. It's not that hard, just wearing casual clothes and just pose on the street like some teenager. He's already used to that kind of theme so it'll be easy for him. That is, if Kris and LuHan won't be a .

"Let's just do it. I know how street style shoots are working. I've already done a lot of those kind of shoots. Piece of cake." he bragged.

"Ivan! Manners! What's with you today?" his manager asked. He knows he'll get scolded later but he doesn't care. The fact that Luhan and Kris came to him, obviously with a motive looks like a declaration of war to him. He's not planning to back down, not when he's already in-love with Tao and not when Tao seems like he's falling in-love with him too.

"Mr. Shin, it's okay. We understand his attitude towards us. It is true that we kinda know him. Can we talk to him before we do the shoot? Please tell your crews to prepare everything, we'll be out when you're done with the preparations." LuHan said charmingly.

"Okay." Ivan's manager looked at him before standing up to his seat with a hesitation. He nods in agreement and he smiled slightly to assure his manager that he won't do anything that will cause any trouble. "I'll leave you then." he exited the office with a doubt. Kris still looks like an angry bear at the moment while LuHan is all smiles. A devilish smile that is. Ivan is so ready to face the war, he crossed his arms like a boss and looked at them while smirking.

"So?" he asked them.

"You're smart. You immediately figured what we're here for." LuHan said.

"Well yes I'm smart of course but that's not the reason I found out. You're just TOO obvious."

"We are?" Luhan asked and Ivan nods. "Well. We just want to know if you can give Tao's number to us?"

"And why would I do that? No. I won't give it to you."

"Judging by the way you react to us. Guess Tao already told you what happened 5 years ago."

"Yes. He told me how you played with him and made fun of him. How you and your classmates call him a 'disgusting gay.' he told me everything."

"He's wrong! He misunderstood!" Kris said angrily.

"Kris. Will calm down please?" LuHan said as he push Kris back to his seat.

"I don't care if he misunderstood. What's clear to me is you hurt him and that's why he came here. He's happy now, he's free. Yes, he's gay but there's a lot of guys who would kill themselves just to get in his pants. If you really care for him, you will stop destroying the perfect world he created for himself. STOP HURTING HIM!! He's been hurt enough, if you really feel sorry for him then just stop whatever it is your planning to do." Ivan walked away.

Kris and LuHan was left in the room with a whole new puzzle that will bug them for a while. Ivan was right, Tao had been hurt enough. He's happy now and everything in his life is perfect, then they appear in front of him again. They know that Tao is hurt and scared, but here they are, instead of leaving him alone, they're making a plan just to mess him up again.

"Maybe he's right Lu. Maybe we should back off. If Tao is happy now then I don't mind hurting for the rest of my life. If he's happy, then I'll be fine."

"NO! he doesn't know anything Kris. We still have to tell Tao what happened. If we don't then he will live in a lie for the rest of his life. We're not doing this to hurt him again Kris, we're doing this because we love him and we care. We're doing this because we want him to be happy, for real."

"But I don't want to hurt him. I love him so much Lu. I just can't take to see him crying again. I'd rather die than to see him like that." LuHan didn't answer, he just watch Kris become all gloomy on his seat.

LuHan will admit it now, he's hurt. Not because his best friend is hurting but because of his unrequited love for Kris. Yes, he's in-love with Kris, ever since he met him, ever since Kris asked him to become his best friend. He thinks he's insane too because no matter how much Kris tell him that he loves Tao and no matter how many times Kris hurts him with those words he never once stopped loving him. He supported him, he comforted him, he did everything for him.

That day when Tao confessed to Kris, he was ready to give up. But those things happened and even if he wanted to scold himself from thinking it's destiny, he still thought it is destiny. Don't get him wrong, he didn't plan anything, it just happened and he didn't do anything to stop it. That is until he saw how hurt Kris was. The guilt he felt was double, because he let it happen, he didn't do anything because he was actually relieved. Now, he was so angry at himself for putting Kris and Tao on this situation just because of his selfishness.

While they are both being guilty to themselves for the 1,000th time already. They didn't know that Ivan didn't left. He's there at the door, quietly listening to whatever they are gonna talk about when he left. He smiled to himself, now he knows that those two are sincere about saying sorry to Tao. Yes, he's in-love with Tao and yes, he's ready to do anything for him. If Kris and Luhan will make his first true love happy, then he'll be fine. He's ready to give up, he's ready to get hurt, he's ready to quietly love Tao from afar.

A few more hours and the photo shoot starts. Kris and Luhan are both professionals when it comes to their work. Ivan is the same, none of them brought their personal problems to work so it all easily ended. Ivan will admit, Kris and Luhan are both great photographers. There are some pictures that he thought would be good to be put up in a museum, not because he's the model but because it was just too good and somehow, meaningful.

Luhan and Kris will admit too that Ivan is a great model. Yes, they're good photographers and they're used to giving orders to the model to do some fitting pose for the theme. But Ivan is different, he knows what he's doing and he knows how to move his body without them telling him. His expressions are just too good. With that they didn't really had a hard time completing the shoot. Before they all knew it, they're already wrapping up and all getting ready to go home.

Ivan's manager is more than happy that it ended fast, he invited everyone for a dinner which of course Kris and Luhan wouldn't turn down. Everyone is the same when it comes to food. Free food is the most delicious type of food. Ivan, Mr. Shin; his manager, LuHan and Kris are all on the same van while the other crews are on the other 2 vans. Ivan is quiet and just observing LuHan who's continuously conversing with his manager and Kris is just staring out of the window and obviously on a very deep thought.

Suddenly, his phone rang. He immediately took it out of his pocket because everyone's attention is on him. Why? Because his ringtone is Tao, laughing and calling him an idiot.

"Hello?" he answered the call. Luhan continued his conversation with the manager awkwardly while Kris is glaring at him now. He looks like he's ready to kill him any moment.

"Sorry~ I was so busy and I just checked my phone now. Is it important? I'm really sorry."

"It's okay Panda. It's not that important. I just want to hear your voice. I miss you." he said while looking at Kris. Ivan is a kid, he likes teasing and provoking Kris.

"What is that?" Tao laughed at the other line obviously getting shy. "We saw each other this morning remember? Why do you miss me already?"

"Don't ask me, I don't know myself." he chuckled. Now his manager is glaring at him too, it's not like he cares since he's not forbidden to be in a relationship. "I'll have dinner with the manager and the rest of the crew. Are you going to be fine? Should I go home early to eat with you?"

"Oh~ don't worry about me. I'm used to eating alone. Just have fun with everyone. I'll eat out, I think."

"Yah~ stop eating at fast food chains. That's not healthy." he scolded. Tao just laughed at him. "wait for me, I'll bring back some REAL food for you."

"Okay then. And . ..you said something about an ice cream and cake earlier?" he asked shyly. Ivan wanted to squish Tao so hard right now. He's just too cute for anyone to handle. Specially when he's all shy like that about asking for something he loves. To stop himself from squealing like a high school girl, and to prevent getting hardly judged by his manager and the two photographers, he grabbed the pillow just beside his seat and squeezed it with all his might.

"You're cute." he said while smiling like an idiot. "thanks for reminding me. I'll buy the ice cream and cake. Do you have a flavor in mind or the same ones again?" he asked like he's asking a 5 year old kid.

"Same ones are fine. I love strawberries. I'll go now, I still need to finish encoding. I'll wait for you at home okay? Have lots of fun and go home early."

"Got it. Bye bye~" he said cutely. He's waiting for the call to get cut off but Tao is not cutting it. "Panda?" he called when after a minute it's still on.

"I. ..I miss you too." after that. Tao ended the call.

Ivan blushed like a teenage girl, he didn't saw that one coming so, yeah. He looked at Kris who he forgot because of Tao's cuteness. The older is glaring at him so hard right now and his fist are clenched. He looks like he's about to explode any minute now. He's not scared though, it's just he's not in a mood for a trouble. Not after that conversation with Tao. Not when Tao said "I miss you too" to him. No one can ruin his happiness at the moment and he won't let anyone ruin it.

They are still in the middle of the dinner but Ivan already said goodbye to everyone. He said a dear friend is waiting for him and he can't ditch him because he promised to bring food. His manager is in a good mood thanks to LuHan who never stopped talking to him, he actually let Ivan go and even told his talent to order anything for takeout and he'll pay for it too. When Ivan is about to start the engine of his car, which he let the crews use because his manager forced him to the van. He suddenly remembered the conversation of Kris and Luhan earlier that day. He went out of the car again and went inside the restaurant. "Hey!" he called LuHan who immediately went to where he is.

"What is it? Did you forget anything?" he friendly asked.

"Yes. I forgot to ask for your number." he said smiling. LuHan's expression changed from friendly to cautious and full of question marks face. "Just give it to me." he said then he gave his phone to Luhan who hesitated a little to type his number.

"What're you gonna do with that?" Luhan asked.

"What do you think?" he answered. He knows what LuHan is thinking. He's thinking he's hitting on him, but he's wrong. "don't tell Kris I asked for your number. Wait for my call first then you can tell him." He went back to his car after that. He saved LuHan's number then took off to Tao's apartment. He's just wishing Luhan will listen to him, he doesn't want to ruin the fun.

Tao gave him a spare key so there's no need to knock anymore. Tao is there lying on the couch, patiently waiting for him while hugging his Panda plushie. His headphones are on his ears, his eyes are closer and he's smiling while listening to music. Sometimes he would hum too, Ivan recognized the song from his humming, it's "Can't Leave" by SHINee a Korean boy band which Tao loves.

He sat on the floor and watch Tao as he sing along with the rap part. Tao is a good rapper, he's just hiding it since he doesn't look like a guy who's good at it. When he finished rapping he opened his eyes. He almost jumped out of the couch when he saw Ivan staring at him.

"Oh my God! Why didn't you say you're already here? I thought you're.. ."

".. .a ghost?" Ivan asked laughing.

"Yes! A ghost! oh my God! My heart is beating so fast!"

"Here's your Ice cream and cake and the REAL food I was talking about earlier." Tao punched his arms as a joke and also as a little revenge for the fright.

"Thanks. I'll prepare this." Tao said then took the paper bag from Ivan's hands.

"Tao~" he called while he's following him to the kitchen. Tao hummed as an answer. "Do you know I'm half Chinese?"

"I don't. But I kinda suspected you are. It's kinda obvious when I'm looking at your features. I was thinking you're Korean too, or Taiwanese or maybe Japanese. Why are you asking all of a sudden?"

"Nothing. I just want to ask." he said before sitting on the chair and watch Tao prepare the food. "I'm just thinking what should I do if you go back to China. Maybe I should follow you there."

"I wouldn't go back." he rejected the idea flatly.

"I said IF."

"Even if it's an 'IF' I still wouldn't!" he said frowning. "What's with you?"

"I'm kind of scared to think that my first best friend will leave me. You've become too precious to me." he said with a hint of sadness.

"I. ..I won't leave you." Tao said blushing. "IF I ever go back to China." Ivan suddenly looked at him. "It's an IF okay?" he waited for Ivan to nod before resuming what he's about to say. Ivan nods to him still looking sad and gloomy. ". ..If I go back.. .then I'll take you with me."

"Yes." he looked down with happiness. He's smiling but he doesn't want Tao to see how glad he is. ".. .let's do that."

Tao still thinks Ivan is moody so he leaves the food and walked to Ivan. He hugged him from the back and he sways their body to cheer the other up. Ivan chuckled at the action. He suddenly remembered his mother who likes doing that when he's depressed.

"Cheer up already." he said cutely.

"If you give me a kiss then I'll cheer up faster." Ivan joked.

It was a joke, but Tao takes it seriously. He didn't say anything for a while then after the weird silence, he suddenly kissed his cheek. Of course Ivan is surprised, he didn't saw that one coming again.

"Just because your sad okay." Tao said before walking away with the food.

Ivan laughed because Tao is blushing and he can see it clearly even if he's trying to hide it. He followed Tao to the living room and he a lot for the sudden kiss. He's in a good mood now, thanks to Tao who never fails to surprise him.