When Alice met the Rabbit

Alice and the Hatter

I was seven years old when I first saw the man wearing a white suit, I just caught a glimpse of him, I could feel his gaze everytime I went out of the castle. I tried to follow him but one of the maids stopped me from going into the forest, she said it was dangerous and that people often disappeared when they tried to cross it. I always wondered why they disappeared and why would a man go back and forth to see me, was it really just to see me?

It's been 4 years since I last saw him, after my seventeenth birthday he stopped stalking me, I was never able to talk to him, he would always disappear before I could reach him, the first time I almost caught him I fainted as soon as I touched him. Last night he appeared in my dreams, I was able to see what I think was his face, he was handsome and his white suit was so bright, he held out his hand to me and asked me to follow him and help him, I kept asking myself why did I have such a weird dream and why was he asking me to help him, help him to do what?

I had breakfast with my father in the morning, he was talking to me about the issues in the kingdom, but as always I wasn't completely listening to him.

"And then Lord Kahler is telling me to give your hand to his son, but of course I have to ask you first."

I was staring outside the wide window in the dining room.

"Krystal?"

I didn't listen.

"Krystal!"

I got startled and looked at him.

"Yes, father?"

"Why won't you listen to your father? My God. I was going to ask you what you thought about Harry Kahler."

"Why?"

"Because his father told me he wanted you to get married to him."

"I see, I really don't picture myself and Harry together as a married couple."

"Why not? Several people have told me you would make a lovely couple."

"I don't think the same way as them, besides, you know what he said about my mother last month."

"You're always defending your deceased mother."

"I have to."

"Would you like to go to the town?"

"I'd rather go for a walk in the garden."

"I wanted to go with you."

"You have to work, father. Perhaps tomorrow."

"It's a promise, no, it's an order from the King."

"Father! Don't use that title against me."

"Against?"

He started laughing, I did the same. I said goodbye to him and then walked out to the garden, there was a fence to divide the forest and the castle's limits, there was a door that allowed people to walk into the forest but there was another fence that was as far as you could walk into the forest because of the continuous disappearances. I walked into the forest and sat beneath a tree to read. I spent a couple hours there, but then I heard a sound that scared me, I turned around and saw the man I had dreamt, he wasn't wearing a white suit, it was a black one. He looked at me, it didn't look as if he had the intention to run away.

"Who are you?"

"My name is Minho, at least that's my name here."

"What do you mean?"

"It looks like you don't remember, Alice."

"Alice?"

My head started hurting, I shut my eyes and tried to control the pain, I looked at Minho and he was walking forward turning his back to me, I unconsciously stood up and followed him. I had no control over my body and his voice calling me Alice kept echoing in my head, visions of a colorful happy land filled my mind. He stopped in front of the fence, with a kick he broke the wooden fence and kept walking, he took out a pocket watch and looked at the time. He clicked his tongue.

"We'll be late."

"Late for what?" I thought to myself.

"We're supposed to meet someone in 10 minutes, but since you walk so slow we'll probably be there in an hour.

I frowned but got scared when I realized he had read my mind.

"Just keep walking."

He stopped in front of a huge hole, then looked at me.

"Ladies first."

I got back the control over my body and I looked at him.

"Where do I go?"

"You really don't remember?"

"What should I remember?"

He got closer to me and put his hand on my back.

"Just fall, Alice."

He pushed me into the hole, but as I fell down I started loosing consciousness again, and I think I took an hour to regain it. Minho was in front of me when I woke up,

"You finally look like Alice."

"What are you saying?"

I sat down and realized I was wearing another dress, it was a black dress. I stood up and fixed my hair but then I noticed it was blonde, why was my hair blonde?

"What happened to me?"

"Nothing, you came back where you belong."

"Where I belong?"

"You'll understand it later. Hurry up and stand up, we're an hour late as I predicted."

I followed him and we were in a dark grey forest, small white flowers on the ground and big dry trees, we followed a path that lead to a big round table prepared for a tea party. And then I saw him...