Chapter 2

Shading Concepts

//First of all, sorry. So sorry. Second of all, I'm not quite sure what I was trying to achieve with this chapter? or even story? Man, I just at plots. Oh well. Enjoy! And please, drop a comment if you can!


I slept through most of the next day, surprisingly. Then it was Monday, and I rolled out of bed with much difficulty and force. Perhaps suppressing the angry days only made the tiring days come sooner. Still, I couldn’t do anything but get out of bed, head towards the bathroom with my clothes and get ready for the day. Not that it was going to be much of a day anyways, with me mostly bumming around the house and leafing through a few books or going on the internet until my mother looked like she would cry at any moment upon seeing me laying on the floor in front of the television when she got home from work, upon which I would head outside for an hour or so on my own. Today she found me scrolling through Facebook, sitting at the kitchen table. 

 

“Did you eat?” she asked, knowing what answer she would receive, and also knowing that answer was a lie. 

 

“Yeah. I did. I’m going to go out for a bit,” I answered anyways, standing up after closing my computer and grabbing my backpack. 

 

“Oh, alright. Are you going to be seeing some friends?” again, the rhetorical question. 

 

“Of course,” I answered with a grimace. What I didn’t realize was that it wasn’t such a lie, if I could even call him close enough to be my friend. 

 

“Then have fun,” she called after me. 

 

“Yeah,” I said, lying even though she couldn’t hear me anymore. Maybe I was doing for my own benefit, at this point. 

 

 


 

I ended up at the small cafe not too far away from home. I ended up here a lot, it was right down the street of the big coffee shop that most of the other kids went to, so it was far less crowded. It was less expensive here as well. I sighed as I sat there, sipping my coffee and scrolling through my newsfeed, again. Nothing interesting, as usual. Just idiots posting idiot posts. I dropped my head onto the table with a thud, tugging on my hair as I cleared my already empty mind. 

 

“Would you like a refill, sir?” the waiter came and asked. That was the other reason I liked this place. No pity smiles. They didn’t know my story, and even if their smiles were a requirement on the job, at least it wasn't out of pity. Like some others…

 

“Yes, please. Thank you,” was my short answer as I sat back up and tried to look respectable. Although, what was the point, really? There was nobody in the cafe but him and me, and all the staff had seen me looking much worse than this I was sure. Rubbing my hand on my face and my hair, I sighed yet another time and gulped down the drink, ignoring the burning heat of the coffee. I dropped my mug back on the table with a sigh and continued my weary staring out the window. I didn’t have very much else to do. I couldn’t contemplate my non-existent life, and I didn’t want to think about the past. And so my day passed. Or rather, my day should have passed. 

 

“One cup of ginger tea, please. Thank you.” I startled at the familiar voice, and found myself calling out to him. 

 

“Hey, you! What are you doing here?” I asked, completely breezing past the fact that the cashier was trying to complete the transaction and hand him his drink. Which was probably why he ignored me until he had gathered his belongings and walked to a table. I probably deserved it, too, but my processing was a little slow that day. “Hey, you. Stop ignoring me, I’m talking to you! How’d you know I’d be here?” I pressed on. 

 

“I didn’t,” was his calm as ever answer. He pulled up the cup to his mouth, not even bothering to look in my direction. But then again, he was blind, so I couldn’t exactly blame him. Ouch, that cam out wrong even in my mind. 

 

“Oh.”

 

“The world doesn’t revolve around you, you know. But it is nice to meet you again, Jaebum,” he replied. 

 

“Wait, wait. How did you know my name then?” I questioned, vaguely remembering I had been rude enough to forget to introduce myself. “And I know the world doesn’t involve me.” At least, I know now. 

 

At this question, he seemed to get a little flustered, and coughed before setting his drink down as he answered, “You seemed… Friendly, so I asked my mom if… she knew you?” His voice petered out as his answer slowly grew hesitant. 

 

“Your mom knows me?” I asked incredulously, raising a brow in a perfected expression of confusion, which he sadly couldn’t see. Still it seemed he was able to understand it through my voice.

 

“Heh, yeah… About that. Well, just promise me not to get my mom in trouble? I know that it’s against policy to hand out information on patients and such, but my mom is, you know, the usual overprotective mother, and she’s a bit especially overprotective because of my obvious situation, as you can obviously see, heheh…. But yeah, so she wants me to have some friends and she’s always encouraging that so I asked her about you since I saw you coming out of her office and maybe she knew you and it turns out that she did and—“ Youngjae paused to take a breath in his rambling, allowing me to stop him from spending the whole day explaining the situation.

 

“Please stop talking before I punch you,” I stated bluntly, face drawn back into its usual resting face. When Youngjae flinched and slouched down in his seat, I rethought my words and corrected myself. “Sorry, it’s not like that. I just. You were rambling,” I tugged at my hair as I though carefully through my next words. “So, how much about me do you know then? Since it seems like you know that… Well, that your mother is my therapist.”

 

“Not, not that much. Just… Your name, age and, well… Address,” he said softly, fidgeting in his seat. “But I promise I just wanted to be friends with you! Please won’t you let me be your friend, I’ve never had anybody listen to me and even talk to me that much, I was just curious.”

 

I sighed and shook my head. What was even happening? “Okay.” Why the hell not. My mother was on my case on looking for friends as well, and now it seemed my counselor would be too. Although, wasn’t that a bit illegal? Whatever. 

 

The bright smile returned to Youngjae’s face at my response. “That’s great! So, what do friends do?”