Prologue (I guess)

Shading Concepts

//See! I'm horrible at titles TT I hope you guys like it! 


I was back in the hospital again. It had been two months since the last time I was in here for an actual sickness or injury, which was not bad, considering my past records. 

 

“-should be more careful, Jaebum. Jaebum, are you even listening to me?" I was snapped out of my thoughts as I looked up from my wrist to my mother's face. 

 

"I'm sorry, Mom. I didn't mean to, I promise," I pleaded, truly feeling guilty. I knew she had trouble working to pay for what little we had as a single mother; I just felt even worse when she tried to act as if I weren't a burden for how often I had to be hospitalized. Luckily, the doctor came back in before my mother could get her sad eyes on again. 

 

"You're going to need a cast, but not for long as it's only a small fracture. And I want you to come back every week for the next month so Dr. Choi can check up on you regularly, do you understand, Jaebum?" the doctor said as he patted my shoulder, trying to seem as kind and gentle as he could. 

 

"Yeah," I said, giving a small nod. I didn't bother with the fake smiles because I knew he didn't really care. Plus, I've heard it scares people more when I smile. 

 

"Well, if that's it, why don't you go get yourself something to eat, you must be tired," my mother said. "I'll take care of some things first, then I'll come down after you, okay?" She tried with the fake smile, but it wasn't a very good one, as it snapped back down the minute she turned away from me. You know, I saw that. 

 

"Okay," was all I could say, even though I had so many thoughts of what I wanted to tell her and promise her. But I couldn't; I wouldn't lie to my mother like that. I slipped out of the door and walked as fast as I could, where ever my feet took me. Reaching the end of the hall, I decided to take the stairs and only went down a few steps before slouching down on the floor. I had been sitting there for a moment when I heard a door open somewhere down below me. Somebody must have entered the stairwell, and they must have been singing. I could hear their voice bouncing off the walls and echoing up to me. 

"I never felt nothing in the world like this before

Now I'm missing you and I'm wishing that you would come back through my door

Why did you have to go?

You could have let me know

So now I'm all alone"

 

I didn't know how somebody could make such depressing lyrics sound so happy. 

 

"Oh my, are these stairs? I must have gone through the wrong door. Ah, well, I could use some exercise," I heard the voice say before it resumed singing. It was slowly approaching me, and I could hear their footsteps now. I figured I should have stood up and gone on my way, but at that point I was too tired from the whole day to care what somebody thought of me. I was, well, I wouldn't say I was surprised, as I didn't have any particular expectations, but the person who came around the corner had a face that seemed younger than the powerful singing voice matched. I was also a bit unsettled by his gaze, which was quite piercing, but at the same time directed at nothing. He didn't seem to notice me, though, and continued his singing. Or maybe, like me, he didn't care. His hand slid along the wall as he stepped forward step after step until he was nearly on top of me. The next event was what was more shocking. 

 

"Oh my goodness, I am so sorry, I didn't realize you were there," he apologized after I let out a squeak upon being stepped on.

 

"What the hell was that?!" I exploded, nearly swinging my fist at him but being restricted due to the cast. It had been a long day and I did not need some douche bag stepping me. "Can't you watch where you're going? There's plenty of room anyways," I huffed, standing and brushing off my pants. The boy apologized again, and I was about to stomp down the stairs, when I suddenly noticed his fumbling. His hand finally touched the railing, and he turned to go on his way when he tripped over the step in front of him. I managed to steady him before he fell, commenting, "Watch where you're going. Jesus christ, are you blind or something?"

 

"Oh! Thank you," he said, before he began giggling to himself. 

 

"What's so ing funny," I growled. I hated when people laughed at me, and I couldn't tell what he was laughing at. 

 

"Nothing, nothing at all. It's just that, you're exactly right," he gasped through his laughs. By now, he was on the floor. “Although, the funny part is, people usually aren't so rude about it."

 

"What?" I asked, completely lost now. 

 

Finally having calmed himself, he answered quite simply, “I am blind," before walking off. 

 

I could only stand there in shock as he went on his way. ". . I’m a ing . .”