Tripping over words

Tripping over words

Birds chirping, the soft breeze in your hair as the warmth of the sun tickled your skin; you felt truly blessed to be part of this peaceful moment in the otherwise busy streets of Seoul. You and Seunghyun had found a place in Olympic park to hide from all the traffic, the passerby’s…anything really. It was needed. Stress had been eating both of you up alive. Even though the two of were, much against your own approval, just friends; it had been quite a hassle to keep yourselves from being spotted in public. Seunghun’s words had been clear: he wanted to avoid rumors popping up here and there about Big Bang’s TOP and his supposedly new girlfriend. Logically, you couldn’t exactly blame him. Unfortunately it did fuel the fear you felt inside of your heart; the fear that he might not feel the same way about you as you did about him.

Ever since the two of you met through shared friends, you had hoped for more. And oh, there had been plenty of times in which you believed it was ‘le moment supreme’ as some would call it.. Moments in which he came closer, making you see his face up close, making you pick up his perfume as he inched closer every second. You could’ve sworn every time that he would go on and kiss you…But nothing. It had been very upsetting to say the least, especially since so many signs had led you to think he really did feel something for you. Just like how he was now resting his head on your lap while you leaned against a tree. Surely he didn’t do this with just any girl, right?

“The weather should be this nice every day.” He commented with his eyes closed. It was nice to see him like this, making it so that you could just stare at him a bit without him noticing. And it was as if the curve of his lips was entrancing you, and the way he smiled ever so softly as you chuckled made your heart skip a beat. “Right, because that’s totally logical weather at the beginning of autumn.” You sarcastically replied, acquiring a mild slap against your side from him that had you chuckle once more. “I just want it to be this nice, okay? I’m well aware of the fact that it’s impossible.” He replied with a tone of amusement to his voice. Nodding softly, you hummed in reply to his words. “If it means we get to hang out like this more often, I’m definitely in.” you grinned, trying hard not to make your cheeks go red. But your words made him open his eyes and look up at you. That was definitely making it more difficult not to blush. “Oh you like it?” he smirked, moving to sit up straight. Instantly you regretted your own words. How could you have scared him of so easily? Was it that hard to keep your big mouth shut and just not make it so utterly obvious you have a crush on him? Ugh.

“Well I mean like.. It’s so relaxing! How could I not like it?” you tried to save whatever was left of the moment you two had shared just now; fearing it would be long gone in a second. “I agree.” he then said; making you arch your eyebrows for a small moment until you recovered back into a pokerface. “And that’s why we should make sure it’ll stay in our memory forever.” Your heard his words; unsure of what he meant by them. Forever in your memory? “Okay, let us take a selca.” He then continued, making your head snap to the side with a huge smile on your face. He did not just…

“Don’t look at me like that, okay? Taking a selca is totally normal business and it is a perfect way to capture this moment forever.” He started going of as if he had to explain himself. Truth was, you couldn’t be happier with this suggestion; finally a picture of the two of you would exist! But it simply came as a surprise to hear him suggest it all of a sudden. “Or don’t you want to go on a picture with me?” he then continued, adding a pout to make himself look even sadder; instantly winning you over. “Don’t be silly, of course I do!” you reacted instantly, moving so that you were properly sitting next to him now and ready to take a picture.

“Okay. One two three…” a soft click was heard as the two of you looked up at Seunghyun’s smartphone for the picture. Within seconds he had it flipped around and was he intently staring at it. “Oh I look like crap. Another one.” He continued, holding it up again. “The way you’re holding it, it makes for an awkward angle from your side.” You dryly commented, aware of how he slightly tilted it too downwards. It was good to make your eyes appear even bigger, but with his hair, it made his forehead look huge too. “What are you, a selca- pro?” he grinned, the hint of slight sarcasm unmistakable in his voice. “Just give me that and watch the master work her magic.” You teased right back, amused by how both his eyes and smile widened visibly before he handed you his precious phone. “You better impress me.” He laughed, looking back up as you reached out to take the picture yourself.

It didn’t take long before you found the right angle and quickly captured the moment. Seunghyun himself was left with wide eyes as he took in the picture. “Okay damn.” “Told you I was good.” You laughed, blessing yourself for the insane amount of selca’s you took over all those years. At least they had a very special use right now. “Oh please, let’s see if you can do that again!” he remarked, handing you the phone back and obviously waiting for you to take another picture. And so you did.

Staring at the two of you on the screen, you tried to find the best angle… only to see Seunghyun looking away, towards your own face. “Seunghyun? What… What are you doing? I’m trying to take a pi-“You  started to complain about his obvious lack of focus in that moment, only to be silenced as you looked to your side; right into his eyes… which were surprisingly close to your own. “Wh—Wha-what are you doing?” you mumbled; now completely positive you were probably looking like a tomato. “You’re so pretty, do you know that?” “I…What?” Needless to say he had rendered you speechless in this very moment. How on earth did he suddenly came to the decision to blurt this out to you? Not that you weren’t flattered, but the unexpected nature of the situation simply had you unable to reply properly. “You’re pretty… Insanely gorgeous actually. And I’m not just saying that because the picture was pretty.. I’m saying that because..” he suddenly stopped, seemingly tripping over his own words as if he couldn’t get them out fully. “Because.. I.. Euhm. How to put this.” He mumbled, suddenly turning into the different kind of Seunghyun than you were used to. You adored this cute and shy side of him; and needless to say all of it warmed your heart even more. “I..Euhm.. It remembered- I re..It reminded me of how I always thought that and I.. I just really… Would you like to go on a date with me, _____-ah?” he blurted out in such a ramble of words you almost missed the last part. Were it not that he had said that particular ending surprisingly loud.

However before you could say anything he had already fallen back into the grass with a loud grunt. “I officially . I can’t even properly ask out the girl I like.” He complained with aggravation apparent in his voice. Meanwhile, your insides were going crazy; butterflies going in overdrive as you tried not to scream out loud from happiness. “I don’t think you .” You replied, lying down next to him on your side and resting your face on your hand so you could look at him. “You know why?” you continued as he opened one eye again to glance at you. “Because…I …Euh… I just really… Would like to say yes.” You played, exaggerating the stuttering in a way that had him glare at you before a smile spread across your face. “Ha – Ha very funny….” He started, suddenly moving forward with his face to yours; lips locking quickly. The whole scene surprised you so hard, you inevitable moved backwards in an automatic reaction to him approaching so rapidly; only causing you to end up falling back with a loud thud against the tree. It was painful, but the remaining feeling of his lips on yours; no matter how short it was; had you feel as if you couldn’t be happier. Laughter erupted as Seunghyun came to sit by your side as you rubbed your head. “You’re mean.” You complained, now it was you glaring at him. “You totally deserved that one for making fun of me... But you’ll still go out with me…Right?” he pleaded, giving you that pout once again that made your legs feel like jelly. “How could I ever say no to you, hu?” you sighed, feeling weak as he happily smiled and took your hand in his; fingers softly intertwining. Peaceful days like this definitely needed to happen more often.