1/1

feel good, solo day

“We need to talk.”

Mark's fingers freeze over his phone; he stills completely, wondering if he heard correctly. He's watched enough dramas to know what those words mean and what usually follows. But that can't be right, right? They were happy and they've been happy...If there was a problem he wouldn't hesitate to fix it, his happiness came from the love and sweet, sweet, sweet smiles the other boy gave him and only him. Without them, he honestly doesn't know what he would do. Mark hopes he's wrong and the “talk” is going to be about what they're going to do for dinner.

He slowly turns his head to face Jinyoung.

And he feels all the color drain out of his face. Jinyoung's expression is serious, arms crossed and shoulders tensed. He looks sad almost, but Mark can't bring himself to ask what's wrong. His throat is dry and he can't even form words—he's scared, scared of what's going to happen, scared of his heart breaking.

Mark doesn't say anything even when Jinyoung sighs, uncrosses his arms, and walks over to him. He doesn't react when Jinyoung calls out for him softly. He's expecting the worst and can't bring himself to think otherwise.

“Hyung..” Jinyoung says, playing with the hem of his shirt. It was something he did whenever he was nervous, Mark remembers. (He remembers how Jinyoung's fingers twisted and tugged at his shirt, staring everywhere but at Mark, face tinted a very pretty shade of pink, when he confessed in front of the convenience store one day after practice. He remembers how wrinkled Jinyoung's shirt was from him wringing it and the stylists scolding him for it right before their comeback stage, and how he instantly calmed down when Mark pulled him into a tight embrace. He remembers it all, but right now it just seems to hurt.)

Mark swallows the lump in his throat and manages a weak, “What is it, Jinyoung ah?” He wants to smile and pretend everything is okay, and the serious atmosphere is just a joke.

Jinyoung is silent, staring into Mark's eyes. He gives the older boy a small smile, and reaches out for one of Mark's hands, holding it between his own.

“You...you know I love you right?”

“I love you too,” he suddenly blurts out, hoping that his confession would somehow change the course of the conversation. Mark can feel the little hope he has deflate when Jinyoung looks down.

“Hyung, I......” Jinyoung tightens his hold on Mark's hand, and it makes Mark want to pull him forward, hold him, and never let him go. But he doesn't. He watches as Jinyoung looks up, a fond expression in his eyes. “I love you, and I always will. You were my first, well, everything. First love, first kiss, first time, and a lot more. So believe me when I say...when I say I want what's best for you.”

This time Jinyoung smiles, even when Mark doesn't smile back. He doesn't know how he should take what Jinyoung's telling him right now. What's best for him? What's best for him is to be with Jinyoung now and forever, but he gets the feeling Jinyoung doesn't feel the same way. So he remains silent and lets the younger boy do the talking. He doesn't trust his voice.

“Being with you was the happiest I've ever been, all the memories we made together are things I cherish and hold closely to my heart. Hyung, you're such a great person, you've made me so happy and I hope you're just as happy as me,” Jinyoung brings Mark's hand to his chest, clutching it like something precious, “And I wish, I wish upon everything that I could keep making you happy, but..”

The way Jinyoung trails off, the look in his eyes changing to something akin to pity, makes his stomach twist and his heart drop. Mark knows exactly where this is going. And he can't do anything about it, no matter how much his heart is screaming at him to do something, say something, anything. He knows exactly why he can't, because it's Jinyoung. Mark's always been weak to Jinyoung.

“I'm sorry, hyung.”

As soon as the words leave that mouth he would think about kissing every night before he went to bed, that would whisper sweet nothings to him, all he can hear is the sound of his heart shattering. It suddenly gets uncomfortably hot, his throat becomes constricted, and his eyes start to water. The feeling of despair is amplified tenfold when Jinyoung presses a simple silver ring into his free hand. Mark feels the inside of the ring, not even having to look to know that MTPJY is engraved on it. He wants to take the one on his hand off as well, there's no point in wearing it anymore evidently, but he can't do it.

Amidst it all, he manages to croak out, “Why?” Jinyoung doesn't let go of his hand, but Mark can't even feel the warmth anymore. He's cold, he's numb, he's lost.

The other boy just looks at him with such sad eyes Mark wants to stand up and scream. Why does he look sad, Mark doesn't understand. Jinyoung had time to think about this, to work things out in his head and deal with this, whereas it's just thrown in Mark's face from out of nowhere. It's not fair, it's not fair, he repeats in his head.

“There's someone else, isn't there?” He concludes quietly when Jinyoung is quiet. With the way his eyes quickly widen and the small gasp Mark hears, the elder knows he's hit the answer. Maybe if Jinyoung fell out of love with him it would be easier to handle, but he fell out of love with him...and in love with someone else. Both are equally as painful and Mark wants to get up and leave. But he doesn't.

“Who?” He asks. “Who is it, Jinyoung?”

The younger boy's initial surprise wears off and finally let's go of Mark's hand, the latter letting it drop to his lap. Jinyoung bites his lip, and tugs at his shirt again. He turns his head towards the door, calling for someone.

“H-hyung, can you come in?” Mark is half expecting Jaebum, or even Jackson, but when the new person walks in, he becomes confused. Bright blond hair, with a little pinkish tint to it, and an awful tanktop with smiley faces printed all over it. He looks vaguely familiar, but Mark can't place where he's seen him before. His face really resembles a fox, is all Mark can come up with.

It's unsettling to see Jinyoung put his arms around this new guy's waist, and rest his head against the new guy's head, to smile at the new guy and not Mark. That should still be him, and not someone else.

“Mark hyung, this is...” Jinyoung looks to the other male, waiting for him to introduce himself rather than Jinyoung doing it.

“Jung Jinyoung, pleased to meet you,” the new Jinyoung says, extending a hand towards Mark. But all Mark could do is blink. Jung Jinyoung, as in B1A4's Jung Jinyoung. Now he remembers seeing him and his group once or twice on shows, passing him a few times with their recent comeback. This sends Mark's brain into overdrive.

He's sure he's being messed with now, there's no way Jinyoung—his Jinyoung—is serious. He's tempted to look around his room, flip all the covers and look for the hidden camera he knows is planted somewhere. There's just no way.

“Hyung?” Jinyoung's voice snaps him out of his thoughts and he focuses on the two Jinyoungs in front of him again. “Are you okay?” The other Jinyoung took his hand back (Mark should've shaken it, played nice, but deep down he knows he didn't want to anyway) and is staring at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Y-yeah, I'm just—I mean, I,” He's stuttering all over the place, trying to understand what exactly happened and why. Is the universe playing some sick joke on him? “How?”

Mark doesn't like the way Jinyoung gets shy, blushing and smiling, that was only for Mark when he was being particularly sweet and romantic, not for this new guy. Sunbae or not, Mark didn't like it. He doesn't like the way his Jinyoung leans into the other Jinyoung, smiling at him. It makes Mark feel sick.

“We..we passed each other a few times during recordings and it just...clicked, you know?” His Jinyoung smiles so adoringly at other Jinyoung Mark wants to reach over and tear them apart. “It was just fate that we shared the same name, right honey?”

“That's right,” the other Jinyoung says, rubbing his nose against Jinyoung's. This can't be happening, Mark thinks. He wants to say what about their CEO? His Jinyoung shares the exact same name as JYP, but Mark refrains. Not because he wants to be nice, but because he'd rather not have those mental images.

“And,” he hears his Jinyoung say, “We thought about it and...we want to name our child Jinyoung as well!”

Wait, child? Now Mark definitely knows he's being punk'd or something. There is just no way any of this is really happening, that Jinyoung is dumping him for Jinyoung and wants to have a kid with Jinyoung named Jinyoung. Just, no. He sees the both of them wrapped up in each other's arms and just giggling at each other, hearing bits of “my fox,” and “my cute little junior” being thrown back and forth.

Mark is sure he's going to have a mental breakdown. “Child?!” His voice come out a few pitches higher than expected, ignoring (his) Jinyoung's concerned stare.

“Yes, of course,” Other Jinyoung replies, brows furrowing at the younger male. “Jinyoungie's sister has already agreed. Things are moving along and we have to start planning out future together.”

“Wait, wait you can't be serious! Jinyoung!” Mark stands up abruptly, looking to his Jinyoung even though both of them turned to look at him. (His) Jinyoung's about to say something, probably to calm him down and something about their now ended relationship, but Mark is not having any of it. “You're joking right? Neither of you can be serious. Where's the hidden camera?”

This time Mark really does walk around throwing up the covers, not noticing (his) Jinyoung's hurt expression. “Hyung, what are you doing? This isn't a joke!” He pleads.

Mark's shaking his head, he can't accept this. His dismissal or Jinyoung's request makes him tear up almost instantly, and other Jinyoung pulling him closer to him, shushing the younger one and calming him down.

“Hyung, please!” He hears Jinyoung beg, desperate for him to stop. But he doesn't. Mark knows this can't be real—there's no way. No way.

His Jinyoung is not one for violence, but he knew nothing about the other Jinyoung. So it isn't expected when the hand on his shoulder turns him around and a fist is in his face. “Hyung!” He hears in the background, but he can't tell who Jinyoung is calling for it. It probably isn't him, because as he's falling on to the bed behind him, about to close his eyes, he doesn't feel anyone coming to his side.

So that's really it.

“Have fun on your solo day, Mark,” is the last thing he hears before he knocks out.






Mark's eyes open immediately and he shoots up, and hand going up to clutch his head. He's breathing heavily, still shocked from the dream he just had. He looks over to see if he woke up his roommate, but Jackson's snores tell him all he needs to know.

He's still sitting in bed, wondering where that particular dream come from. Where B1A4's leader came from, he would never know, or why Jinyoung would leave him for the aforementioned person. Mark runs his hand through his hair and down his face, subtly checking if he had a bruise or a swollen eye. (It didn't hurt to check.)

He thinks he should stop sneaking snacks before bed.

Mark fingers the ring on his right hand before deciding what he's going to do next. He won't lie, the dream scared him—despite the absolute ridiculousness of it—he doesn't know what he would do if Jinyoung ever broke up with him. As stupid and sappy as it sounded, the younger boy is a huge part of his life now and without him, well, Mark just doesn't know.

He kicks the covers off and swings his legs off the bed. As quietly as possible, he pads across the room to the door, looking back every so often to make sure Jackson is still asleep. Mark sneaks down the hall and into Jinyoung's room, pushing the door as slowly and quietly as possible not to wake the other. He smiles when he reaches the bed, looking down at Jinyoung almost curled in on himself, facing the wall and clutching his bear.

Not wanting to stand all night, he slowly climbs in behind Jinyoung, pulling him up against his chest and wrapping an arm around his middle. It feels comfortable and warm, and Jinyoung's scent that is just purely Jinyoung, makes him feel like he's come home. Mark tries not to wake the younger boy up, but with the way he's nuzzling his face into Jinyoung's neck and entwining their fingers together, playing lightly with the other ring on Jinyoung's finger, it's hard not to be a little roused by it.

“Hyung?” A sleepy voice reaches Mark's ears and the body in his arms shifts so Jinyoung is facing Mark. The younger boy's eyes are barely open, but he seeks out Mark's hand again, lacing their fingers together and bringing it in between the two of them. Even in his sleepy state, Jinyoung remains the cutest thing in Mark's world. His other hand finds it's way under Jinyoung's head and around his shoulders, bringing the two even closer together.

“Go back to sleep,” Mark whispers, giving Jinyoung's hand a light squeeze. His body shakes in silent laughter when Jinyoung whines.

Mark's rubbing Jinyoung's shoulder in a soothing manner, lulling the other boy back to bed. His lips are pressed against Jinyoung's forehead and he can feel little puffs of breath against his neck, it tickles, but it doesn't bother Mark at all.

“I love you,” he suddenly says. He says it just to say it, regardless if Jinyoung hears him or not. Mark doesn't know why, maybe he just wanted to hear himself, to tell the walls, tell the darkness, so they know too. It's no secret.

“Love you too,” comes the sleepy reply. It's a little slurred and maybe too quiet, but Mark catches it. He moves closer to the other boy, tangling his legs with Jinyoung's and leans down to nuzzle his cheek with his nose. Jinyoung's content sigh makes Mark smile.

“More than B1A4?” (He has to ask.) And maybe Jinyoung's too tired to realize how strange the question is, but he answers back with a low affirmative grunt.

“And you won't leave me for another Jinyoung?” Mark prods, loosening his grip on Jinyoung to check if the boy completely passed out on him. His answer came in the way Jinyoung almost instantly moves closer to Mark and catches the front of his shirt in a light grip. The breathy way he says “love Mark” makes Mark's heart swell and grow two sizes bigger. He laughs quietly and presses a lingering kiss to the sleeping boy's forehead. He really loves Jinyoung. The Jinyoung he has in his arms, and not any other.

“And if we ever have a kid, lets name him Mark,” he muses, trying to right all that was wrong with his dream from earlier. There's a groan from the boy resting against his chest and Mark feels one of Jinyong's leg kick him. “Hyung, sleep.”

“Alright, alright, Baby. Goodnight.”

That night, Mark dreams of Jinyoung and midnight dates and kisses under stars.

 


 

if you didn't know, solo day and baby goodnight are b1a4 songs (thank you for reading this)