Chapter 1

Freakshow

“Welcome to the Marionette Circus-” The man trailed off, prompting Chen for his name.

“Chen.”

“Welcome, Chen.” The man grinned. “I’m the ringleader. My name is Kim Youngmin, but everyone calls me ringleader.”

Chen nodded, glancing around him at the colorful tents and trailers he would now call home. Posters advertising the various acts were scattered about, stapled to walls, furniture, almost everything. The largest tent, the big top, was visible beyond the living spaces, bright flags waving in the breeze of the sunny day.

“You’ll be sharing with Xiumin, our many-limbed man. There he is! Xiumin, come here!” Youngmin called. A small man turned at the sound of his name. He was slightly hunched. He walked over on his three legs, four arms swinging as he scurried over.

“Yes, ringleader?” Xiumin asked, not even looking at Chen.

“This is your new roommate. Show him around, won’t you? I have to return to my paperwork.” Youngmin said, stating more than questioning.

Xiumin turned to Chen, smiling slightly. “Of course, sir. I’ll see you then tonight if that’s all.”

“See me in my office once you’re finished, won’t you?” Youngmin asked Xiumin. The smaller man stiffened a bit, nodding tensely. Youngmin smiled at Chen and made his depart, walking towards the offices.

“Hi, I’m Chen.” Chen greeted after a moment of silence.

“As you probably heard, I’m Xiumin. Come with me, I’ll show you around.” Xiumin scurried on his legs, Chen following after.

Chen watched Xiumin’s legs, seeing them move in an unnatural way. They knocked into each other, causing Xiumin to trip slightly before regaining his balance.

“Does that hurt?” Chen asked. He was no doctor, but the muscles in the man’s legs were arranged strangely, almost as if they weren’t meant to be there at all.

“Does what hurt?” Xiumin asked, slowing to a stop. Chen noticed that Xiumin was panting slightly. They hadn’t moved far but the way Xiumin walked must be exhausting.

“Walking.”

Xiumin raised his eyebrows, looking to Chen for an explanation.

Chen scratched the back of his head shyly and offered a sheepish smile. “Your muscles are kind of strange, and you keep tripping over yourself.”

“Oh.” Xiumin glanced at his legs. He shrugged. “It kinda hurts, but it’s alright.”

“I can carry you.” Chen offered. Xiumin looked at him wide-eyed.

“No no no no no, don’t worry about it, I’m heavier than I look.” Xiumin denied quickly.

Chen rolled his eyes as Xiumin scrambled away, catching up quickly and picking Xiumin up. The many-limbed man felt like a feather compared to the trucks he’d lifted before.

Chen shifted Xiumin until the man was on his back, the smaller squeaking indignantly as he was manhandled (softly) into a piggy-back position.

“Unless you weigh more than 5 tons, I have no problem carrying you,” Chen smirked, glancing to the blushing man on his back, “You never asked ringleader what act I am, did you?”

“...no.” Xiumin admitted quietly.

“I’m the new strong man.” Chen informed him. “I’ve carried more than one sixteen-wheeler at a time. People are no problem for me.”

“But you’re...”

“Not that muscular? Yeah, everyone expects me to look like a bodybuilder. I don’t know why I don’t look like that,” Chen replied, “Now where do we go?”

“That way.” Xiumin mumbled, pointing.

Chen followed Xiumin’s directions as the man became louder and calmer, obviously unused to being carried everywhere.

“This is Tao’s place. He’s the tall man.” Xiumin explained, pointing to a trailer.

“You mean those guys who walk around on stilts?” Chen asked, looking to the obnoxiously tall trailer.

“I guess, but Tao’s different. He doesn’t use stilts,” Xiumin said, “He used to, but he doesn’t need them anymore.”

“What do you mean?” Chen asked, confused.

“Well... See for yourself. Tao! We have a new guy!” Xiumin called.

“I’m coming, hyung!” There was a crash and the door opened. The man came out, blue hair slightly covering his sharp eyes, dark circles under his eyes bringing more attention to his face.

But then he stood up.

Chen had to crane his neck to look at the man’s face. He was easily more than 10 feet tall, legs making up most of the height. Chen was on eye level with his knees. “Wow.” Chen muttered.

“My name’s Tao.” The panda-like man smiled.

“I’m Chen.” The strong-man muttered, shell-shocked.

“What’s your act?” Tao asked.

“Strong man.” Chen replied in a daze. He shook his head to get out of it.

“It’s fine, most people react that way.” Tao smiled. “I’m heading in, my legs hurt.” He waved to Xiumin and Chen and clambered back into his trailer, slouching to fit properly.

“What’s with his legs?” Chen asked Xiumin as the two walked towards the next trailer. “Why do they hurt?”

“He gets... extensions, I guess you could call them, for his legs. He’s still getting used to them, and his legs can’t support his weight well so he doesn’t stand all too much or it hurts really badly.” Xiumin explained. “That’s why he doesn’t use stilts.”

Chen nodded. “Oh.”

“Over here.” Xiumin directed. “They’re not coming out or it could potentially be dangerous, but I thought you should meet them.” The trailer they had stopped at had barred windows and a metal door, with multiple locks and a bar across the doorway.

Suddenly, a voice sounded out from the trailer. “I smell human.”

“So do I.” Another voice tuned in.

“Smells like a lost twin.”

“And a muscled man with wide eyes.”

Something slammed against the door, causing Chen to jump a bit. A new dent formed.

“Who is it?”

“Who came here?”

“Who smells like sadness?

“And who smells like fear?”

Two faces appeared at the window, twin smiles showing off razor-sharp teeth. One was significantly taller than the other, pointed ears and wide eyes with red hair atop his head. The other was more feminine in comparison, raven black hair sitting much more calmly.

“This is Chen.” Xiumin introduced, seemingly not fazed by the two. “You can’t eat him, he’s a new act and you know how ringleader gets when you eat the acts.”

“Dammit.” The two chimed in unison, disappointed frowns appearing, and then they slipped out of sight.

“The red haired one is Chanyeol and the other is Baekhyun. They’re cannibals, but they’re not usually allowed to eat human.”

“Usually?” Chen asked, glancing back as they walked away.

“Ringleader sometimes gets them some. Don’t ask how, I don’t know. Rule number one of this circus is don’t ask questions, just do as you’re told and you’ll be okay.”

“Um...okay.” Chen said, utterly confused.

“Over there, over there! I want you to meet Lay and Suho, Lay’s super nice.” Xiumin said, pointing towards a trailer.

“Is Suho not?” Chen questioned, taking him in the direction pointed.

Xiumin ignored him. “Lay!”

A brown-haired head popped out and the man grinned, showing off dimples. “Hey Xiumin! A new act?” Xiumin nodded. “Lemme grab Suho, one second.”

The door closed and a few moments later, it opened again to reveal Lay with a man on his back. “This is Suho. He’s a marionette. My name’s Lay, I work with the tigers.” Lay smiled and Suho did as well.

“Hey.” Suho greeted. His body was limp, but his face worked, it seemed.

“You’re awake! That’s a surprise. You lucked out, Chen.” Xiumin smiled.

“I’m Chen, I’m a strong man.” Chen greeted. “What do you mean by marionette?”

“I’m... well, I’m a marionette. For shows I have ribbons tied around my wrists and ankles and other joints and then they make me dance. I never actually touch the ground so it’s not painful. I’m paralyzed from the head down. I used to be a acrobat, but I fell, and things went wrong.” Suho shrugged. “So now I’m here. Lay takes really good care of me.”

“Speaking of which, I have to give Suho a shower. See you guys around!” Lay smiled, taking Suho inside.

Xiumin guided him to another tent as they waved. Chen was happy for the normality of the two after meeting the cannibals from before.

“This is Sehun and Kai’s trailer. Kai is usually at his partner’s tent, so he might not be here.” Xiumin explained as Chen knocked.

The door opened to reveal a very annoyed looking man. He had rainbow streaks in blonde hair and a peeved expression. Black cat ears twitched atop his head. A tanned man with dark hair peeked out from behind.

“What do you want?” The blonde demanded.

“This is Chen, he’s a new act. I’m showing him around.”

“Of course you’re showing him around during my nap.” The blonde huffed and stomped inside, collapsing on a bed and curling in on himself.

“Well, I’m Kai and that’s Sehun. He’s part cat and part chameleon, and I’m a contortionist. I have to go practice with Taemin now, so I’ll see you around.” The darker skinned one greeted and walked past them, in a hurry to get to a tent in the distance.

Chen stared after Kai, confused.

“They’re always like that. C’mon, I’ll introduce you to the last one.” Xiumin tugged at Chen’s shoulder, and he turned to go to the last trailer.

It turned out to be a man with pale skin and dark red hair. “I’m Kyungsoo.”

Chen tried very hard not to stare at the horns and tail. “Chen.”

“I’ll tell you this,” Kyungsoo started, “One, you’ll get used to deformations around here. Two, come here if you want real food. The food they serve here is horrible.” Kyungsoo and Xiumin waved and Kyungsoo shut the door.

Chen began the walk back to the trailer he shared with Xiumin, thinking the whole way about the people and what he’d learned.

“So what do you think?” Xiumin asked as they reached their trailer.

“It’s...interesting here.” Chen replied, setting Xiumin on the bed and smiling slightly at him.

If only he knew how much more ‘interesting’ it would get.


A/N: Okay, so that's the first chapter. I'm not going to post anymore until I finish To Be Loved. Other chapters probably won't be nearly as long. See you guys!!!