Picking up strays (Intro)

Who knew kittens could be bullies? (On hold)

Luhan didn’t know much about cats but he figured they were a little like humans. Humans didn’t tend to linger around in the rain or cold, and most certainly not both. The little tabby however, didn’t seem to mind. It lay complacent on the second-hand welcome mat, it’s short tail unmoving.

Don't misunderstand; his mother had warned him enough as a child not to play with strange animals but the little thing looked so pathetic. Plus, Luhan doubted it would do much damage if it actually did attack his pale ankles. For those reasons alone he allowed it enough time to walk in behind him before the front door was locked and bolted shut. Sure enough, the kitten did.

Work had finished a little later than expected. It was a busier time of year. The November-onwards months brought in late shoppers and women who wanted to look a little more glamorous for Christmas-themed parties. Working in a hair and beauty shop rarely brought any perks apart from a few ladies sliding their numbers to him. At first, that was great. Knowing a couple more good-looking girls made nights out a little more enjoyable. But after a while, the young man saw how the girls got to be so beautiful; all the make-up, hair extensions, tinted face creams made them lose their appeal to him. Long dark hair and pretty skin used to be the only prerequisite to getting Luhan’s attention, but that had changed over the two years. Who knew he’d ever get sick of beautiful girls? Not him and definately not his father, that’s for sure. He’d nearly had a hemorrhage when his son had told him that he didn’t quite like girls so much.

He never said he liked boys, mind you, but he hadn’t needed to. Luhan’s father had not spoken to him in months but he would come around eventually… or so his mother and brothers said. 

The kitten, which actually had small highlights of auburn/orange in it’s fur now that the lights were on, was settling down in the kitchen. It’s large eyes didn’t stray from Luhan but the stare wasn’t unnerving. It was adorable to be truthful. Luhan was sure that if it stayed whilst the days continued to get shorter and darker, the little ball of fur would bring some warmth into his small –very small- house.

Said house may have lacked space but it made up for it in style. The Chinese man’s mother made sure of that. The comely decor compensated for the two week delay in moving in.

Fluff, which was the ingenious name Luhan had given to the probably-temporary pet, had started moving around. Despite its small, chubby legs, the cat moved elegantly amongst the few items strewn on the floor. Luhan should’ve probably cleaned up, but that could wait. Plus, the cat didn’t seem to mind as it curled into the bathrobe that had been dropped there that morning. Soon, a small string of purrs filled the cold kitchen before quietening down.

After dropping his sports bag onto the ground, Luhan couldn’t help but notice that despite the dampness on the small creature’s fur, it seemed pretty clean. Like, recently-been-pampered clean. It was very pretty for a stray and soon enough, Luhan began to realise that it probably wasn’t one. But what could he do? Luhan couldn’t spot a collar of any sort and the local residencies were flats and rented houses, which didn’t allow pets. If he ever decided to actively help find the cat’s owner, it would be when he had enough time to make posters. It also had to be warm enough to for him to spend hour walking around. The 12th of November at 9:17pm certainly wasn’t that time.