Chapter 4

Sogyeokdong: A Tale of Uprisings and Freedom

Jieun's POV:
 

Rays of sunshine were sparse by the time we had arrived at Gwangju. And like we had previously planned, Suzy and I were sharing a dorm. Upon entering, my eyes widened in surprise. I had expected that since this was a college dorm, it would be far smaller than my house at home. But nope, the apartment was quite spacious.

 

“Wow this place is huge” Suzy breathed. I just nodded. Amazing.

 

The apartment surely was charming. The windowsill was extended and supported a couch like I had only seen before in the movies. Perfect place to read.

 

“Well. This is going to be a good year” I smiled, picking one of the two rooms and unpacking my bags.

 

“You bet! I didn't expect it to be so nice. We just paid what most people would have in Seoul.”

 

“Must be cheaper real estate” I hummed, collocating picture frames of my family on the night table. There was this one picture that had always been my favorite. It was the four of us, my family and I. It was a trip that my parents had saved for, saved for years: a trip to Jeju. The moment captured in the frame was of us in the meadows of a cliff overlooking the shining seas of the island. I can even recall the distinct smell of the salty ocean lapping upon the shores. And the lone eagle that soared up to the sun, talons outstretched, before swooping down to attack the encroaching snake below. Then the sun shone just a bit brighter. The island was a paradise we had worked to see, before returning to the realities of Seoul.

 

“Hey! Jieun!”

 

“Yeah?” I answered, turning towards Suzy.

 

“Some girl just came knocking on our door saying that everyone is expected to show up for a school wide welcoming assembly in about an hour” she shrugged.

 

“Eh. I guess we should go then. Maybe we'll meet Suzy's hubby there” I snorted.

 

“Yah!”she shouted I ducked the oncoming pillow before racing to the door of the apartment. Right when I had my hand on the knob, a knock came.

 

Scrunching my nose in confusion, I opened it up to be greeted by a smiling girl. Her short brown hair went down to her shoulders, and her eyesmile added to her natural beauty. Accompanied by a pink purse with a long strap- actually scratch that- most if not all of her outfit was decorated in shades of pink.

 

“Hey! I'm Tiffany!” She said bowing. “I'm your neighbor. I just wanted to say hi and see who was going to be next door.”

 

I blinked a few times, surprised. She was just so...bubbly. Torn between joining her mood or being creeped out, I chose the former and returned the smile.

 

“Hi! I'm Jieun, nice to meet you, my roomate and I just moved in.”

 

“I see, I see. You freshmen will have a ton of fun here, I'll make sure of it” she beamed gently patting me head.

 

“So...do you have a roommate as well?”

 

“Yeah! She's my best friend. Her name's Bora. Speaking of which, I should probably head back before she destroys something in the apartment” she winced.

 

“Ah. One of those types.”

 

“Yup. She's worse than me.”

 

“Oh god” I said laughing with her joining in. It felt nice. I was initially afraid it would be hard to make friends but I already have three! Suzy, Jongin and now Tiffany!

 

“Well anyways, see ya later at the assembly! Have fun unpacking!”

 

I looked at her retreating figure in confusion. “Wait! What assembly?” Turning back to stare at me, Tiffany frowned.

 

“The assembly. There's one at the beginning of every year hear. It's weird, I know, but we have to go. School policy.”

 

“Oh...ok...”

 

“You don't know where the auditorium is, do you?” I just shook my head bashfully staring down at my feet.

 

She walked back smiling. “Wow. They should have told you this when you arrived. Uhm, well just head out the front doors and it's three buildings down to the left. You're sure to find it.”

 

Smiling gratefully, I looked up and nodded a thanks before we parted our ways into our respective apartments.

 

“Suzy yah!” I said throwing a pillow at the figure sitting by the television.

 

“Did you just yah me?”

 

“Maybe I did” I said smirking. Evil jieun mode out muahaha.

 

“You want to take it back?”

 

“Nah. I'm good.”

 

“Suit yourself” Suzy said nonchalantly before whipping another pillow straight at my face sending me backwards a few centimeters.

 

“Eh. I guess I deserved that one” I said smiling.

 

“You most certainty did.” Suzy sat upright and mockingly tried to be offended only to fail miserably and burst into giggles.

 

“Anyways, we're supposed to go to some assembly...” I groaned, plopping down onto the couch next to her.

 

“What? What assembly? No one ever told us about that.” Suzy said looking at me with a confused face.

 

“Well. Apparently we have one in about an hour or so.”

 

Suzy sighed before attempting to get up. “Nope. I don't have the energy. Maybe next time Jieun” she waved and proceeded to plop down back on the couch. “This is sooo much more comfy.”

 

“Fine. You chose the hard way.” Racing forward, I jumped onto the couch and began to tickle her, running my fingers across her feet.

 

“Stoooooop!” Suzy jumped up off the couch and started racing towards her new room. “I'll go I'll go! Give me 10 minutes!”

 

I laughed and cataloged the fact that she's ticklish in my memory. It will probably be of some use later.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Half an hour later, for it took longer than we had anticipated to get ready, we finally were making our way down to the auditorium. The campus was large and well maintained. Freshly cut lawns and beautiful gardens surrounded our every side. Bending down by a few flowers, I picked one up and put it in my hair.

 

“You like?”

 

Suzy nodded. “Definitely.”

 

“Let's match!” I smiled, grabbing another flower and attaching it to Suzy's hair.

 

Turning, Suzy posed making a peace sign by her cheek. “And me?”

 

“Perfect” a deep voice came behind us. Who could that possibly be? Twirling around, I came face to face with no other than Kim Jongin. The other kid from the train.

“Jongin!” I shouted happily. “Are you coming to the assembly as well?”

 

“Yup. What's it about?”

 

“Uhhh....” well shoot. “No clue really haha. We should sit together!” He just nodded as we began to file into the room.

 

“Speaking of which Jongin,” Suzy began “Have you met your roomate?”

 

“Yeah! He's a nice kid. Nichkhun I think was his name.”

 

“Ah. Well that's good.”
 

“Yup” he replied. Small talk was all that occurred throughout the next half an hour. The time ticked on endlessly, and when the speaker began the minutes seemed to turn into months.

 

Just as the assembly was ending, I peered to my right catching a glimpse of familiar hair. Eyes widening, I realized I knew that kid. I've seen him before. He was Jang Wooyoung.