Chapter 3

Sogyeokdong: A Tale of Uprisings and Freedom

Jieun's POV:

“Are you sure you'll be okay?”

 

“Yes umma, don't worry about me. I'll be leaving a girl, coming back a woman!” I beamed.

 

She sighed. “Here honey, let me help you adjust your collar.” Rolling my eyes with a smile, I just moved forwards so she could fix it. I can't believe it. I'm finally leaving Seoul behind. Leaving my parents, my city, my life really... all in exchange for a new one.

 

After saying my goodbyes to my mother, I turned towards my father. Holding his arms out, I raced towards him and landed firmly in his embrace. “See ya appa.”

 

“See you Peaches.” I smiled at the childhood nickname. Ever since I was young I had been called peaches due to my love for the fruit. Once, my father brought home a whole sack of them for the guests the next day and had sternly warned us not to touch them. Six year old Jieun though, took that as an invitation, and crawled onto the counter-top and opened the sack. Let's just say by the end of the day only half of the peaches were left and I was cast off to my room for a week.

 

And that was it. With my backpack on, Fluffykins in hand, and suitcase in tow, it was off to Gwangju. The southern city was inland with a substantial textile and automobile industry. It had barely over a million inhabitants. Quite a downsize compared to Seoul I suppose, but it suited me all the same. I wasn't much of a city girl I guess.

 

Stepping aboard the train, I inspected my surroundings. The train was divided into many different compartments, one on each side of the hallway. Each compartment sat a maximum of four people, as there was a seat for two people, facing each other in each of the compartments. It was more luxurious than what I had previously expected.

 

Any jubilation I had felt though was crushed with the appearance of one woman. I would soon come to know her as The Ogre, and you'll soon see as to why. Her arms were massive rocks that could swing and pull without effort. Her stubby legs gave her the foundation of an elephant, and her dark, short hair rose up in the curled tangles like Medusa's. Worst of all was her breath. She inhaled fear and exhaled pain. The Ogre reveled in inflicting punishment and was not to be messed with.

 

Of course. I was blissfully ignorant of this upon first meeting her aboard this train. Essentially, I was Lucie Manette about to be chopped up by the guillotine. Walking up to me, she breathed “where's your ticket miss?” Even the simple question seemed mocking in retrospect.

 

“Ah. Right here! Just a second” I said, sliding my backpack off and digging through the pockets.

 

I heard the slap before it came. “You dare make me wait? What an insolent child!”

 

“How dare you-”

 

“How dare I??!! Why you!!” Grabbing me by the ear, she pushed me out of the train along with my luggage before manually closing the train door. Blinking a few times I shook my head. What the hell just happened?

 

You know what? I'll just get on through another door. That crazy Ogre. I'll outsmart you. Needless to say, there were no problems this time around, and I managed to find myself an empty compartment to call home for the next few hours.

 

Now I just have to pray that crazy ajumma doesn't come around. Thing is I'm not really all that religious...let's see...how does that praying thing work again? Holding my hands together like I had seen a few Christians do before, I thus began. “Dear god. Please make sure the crazy Ogre doesn't come into my compartment. I'd very much rather get to Gwangju without a fuss...in one piece...intact...so if you please allow me to-”

 

The door began to open. “Holy shoot this praying thing isn't working” I squealed and looked frightfully up at the opening. My heart froze.

 

“Oh! Hi! Uhm, there aren't any more empty compartments so I was wondering if I could sit here haha.”

 

I breathed a huge sigh of relief. It was just a girl. She looked my age, probably going to university as well. “Uh...sure” I said gesturing to the seats in front of me. Smiling, she put her luggage away and then sat down in front of me. We were both sitting next to the window.

 

'Wow' I thought...'she's really pretty.' Her brown hair goes straight down to almost her waist and her smile was contagious.

 

 

 

 

 

Narrator's POV:

 

“Ohhhh. Is that how you met Auntie Suzy?” Yoseob yawned.

 

“Yup. It was kinda awkward the first few minutes to be honest.”

 

“Why didn't you just play music on your Walkman?” Jiyeon looked up at me.

 

“Those were the old days. No Walkman's in Korea yet.”

 

“Ewwwwww. How did you live?” They chorused simultaneously. I just laughed and shook my head.

 

“You fancy kids with all your electronic gadgets” I mocked playfully.

 

“What happened after Mommy?” Yoseob asked.

 

“Well...like I said, we sat awkwardly there for a bit at first...”

 

 

 

Jieun's POV:

 

That was, until we heard quite a loud noise in the cabin behind Suzy. We both looked at each other. “Was that...a fart?” She asked.

 

“I think so...” I began laughing, with her joining in a few seconds later.

 

“Jieun” I said extending my hand.

 

“Suzy. Going all Western style on me now are we?” She smiled shaking my hand back.

 

“Of course. We are smart peoples” I said in broken English. We both giggled and relaxed. “So, where in Seoul are you from?”

 

“Gangnam.” She said slightly apprehensively. I just nodded in reply. So she was probably poor like I was. ((Author Side Note: During the late 1970s and early 1980s Gangnam was arguably the least developed part of Seoul. Ironic right?))

 

“Sogyeokdong, in the Jongno District.”

 

Looking at my clothes, she said “We really need to get ourselves some rich boyfriends.” We both burst forwards into more laughter. I can't believe she's so forward. I have a feeling I'm going to like her quite a bit.

 

“That we do” I smiled. “That way I can get rid of these old clothes.”

 

“Shopping for clothes for the first time in our lives!”

 

“Wait! Aren't most rich guys either jerks or old?” I asked.

 

“You're right if dramas are anything to go buy” Suzy pretended to be serious.

 

“Of course. So no rich guys.” We shook on our ridiculous promise and smiled. The nonsensical talk continued for much of the train ride.

 

“Have any siblings?” Suzy asked unwrapping a pouch of cookies. I stared. I mean who wouldn't? Cookieeeees.

 

“Uh, yeah. I have a little brother. We don't talk to much though. He likes to ignore me, but I still love him to bits.”

 

“Same! By the way, you're going to Gwangju for university right?”

 

“Yup! I'm off to Jeonnam University.”

 

“Uh...I know we just met but...want to be roommates? I kinda don't know anyone else.” Suzy scratched her head nervously.

 

“Of course! I don't know anyone either! We can be clueless together!” I beamed. Just then, the door flew open and a guy stumbled in with his belongings. I'm assuming he was a university student as well. Suzy and I just looked at him in shock.

 

“Uh, can I” he stopped to catch his breath “Can I sit with you guys?” We both nodded awkwardly. Where did he come from though? The train had started moving shortly after Suzy had sat down and hadn't stopped since.

 

“So...is everything okay uh..” I asked him not knowing his name.

 

“Yup” he replied, still heavily panting. “Just got in a little scuffle, but fine now” he said slumping down into the seat next to Suzy. This gave me a chance to inspect him closely, and boy was he gorgeous. His brown hair was waved across his head, and he had dark chocolate hair to match. His lips curved slightly upwards and his tan skin was...to be blunt, quite attractive. Plus, he had muscles.

 

Suzy and I exchanged looks and giggled silently. Dear lord this is even more awkward than before. After about a minute the boy's breathing slowed and he looked towards us. “So...my name's Jongin” he said signaling for us to share as well.

 

“I'm Suzy.”

 

“Jieun.”

 

We sat there for about another minute awkwardly before I looked eyes with Suzy's pouch once more. SHE WAS STILL EATING COOKIES! “Oh Suzy” I said with fake sweetness. “Are you going to share with me?”

 

At this Jongin looked over and noticed them. I could tell he wanted the cookies as well. They looked really good. Still hot and homemade, with chocolate oozing out. Unfortunately for the two of us, Suzy just smirked. “Share what?” She said while slowly chewing on her desert.

 

“I think she means the cookies you have” Jongin said pointing to the pouch.

 

“Ohhh. You mean these?” She asked waving the pouch. We both nodded. “Sorry, I heard your name has to start with the letter 'S' in order to digest cookies properly.”

 

Jongin and I both stared at one another. “What kind of ridiculous excuse is that?”

 

“I'm joking” she smiled. “But we should play a game! In order for us to get to know each other better, I'll ask one question, and if you get it right, you get a cookie.” Jongin and I nodded.

 

“Hmm. Ok, my question will be, what's my favorite color?”

 

“Pink!” Jongin shouted.

 

Stupid me to be different shouted “Yellow!”

 

“Yellow wtf?” Jongin said. I just stuck my tongue out at him.

 

My face wilted though when Suzy passed a cookie right to Jongin. His ego was just palpable at this point. Thankfully though, Mr. Fluffykins saved me. “Oooo. Is that a stuffed animal?” I nodded. “It's cute! Here” she laughed handing me a cookie. “I would've given you one anyways.” I smiled and took it appreciatively while she held my stuffed animal for a bit before returning it.

 

“Wow, these are really good Suzy” I said.

 

“Yeah! Did you make them?” asked Jongin. She nodded shyly.

 

“Yeah, my older sister and I made them this morning.” I gave her a thumbs up and kept eating.

 

An hour passed until it happened. She came. The Ogre. Three knocks were heard on the door first. “Open up!”

 

“Holy shoot!” I whispered. “Hide me please! Don't tell her I'm here!” Quickly, I climbed up to where the luggage was on the rack and hid. When I gave the thumbs up, Jongin opened the door, and quickly sat on the opposite side so he wasn't next to Suzy.

 

“Well, well, what do we have here?” breathed the Ogre. Her nostrils flared as she entered. “A lonely lady with a guy? How inappropriate” she sneered.

 

“If you must know” Suzy defiantly looked her in the eyes, he's my cousin and we're riding together.”

 

She side-eyed Suzy before deciding she wasn't worth it and slammed the door, footsteps fading into the distance. “Yah! Jieun!” Suzy shouted.

 

“Yeah?” I asked climbing down.

 

“You left us to that monster!” Suzy laughed.

 

“I believe the proper term is, 'The Ogre.'” I retorted sending us all into giggles.

 

“Wow, her breath really stinks. The Ogre it is.” Jongin nodded.

 

“I just really hope she doesn't work at the university...” I whispered.

 

“Nah. She's a train Ogre. She couldn't be haunting the campus too” Suzy said.

 

“I'm with Suzy on this one” said Jongin pointing “for my nose's sake” bringing us to laughter again.

 

“Hey come on,” I said. “Maybe she just needs a cookie.”

 

“Or a man” snickered Suzy.

 

“Maybe she's just cranky about her pay. A bundle of Won makes the Ogre happy!” By this point we had attracted the attention of the next door room, whose inhabitants promptly told us to shut up sending us into further giggles.

 

“I think we should get some shut eye” said Jongin.

 

“I agree” I yawned. Still a few more hours to Gwanju.

 

“Goodnight!” said Suzy. And that was the last I heard before descending into the land of dreams.