One-shot: Eunhae

Streetbusker Romance
Please log in to read the full chapter

1930

Donghae exits the office, a black briefcase in hand, his dark undereye circles seemingly even more obvious than before. He rushes home, anxious to complete the assignment his boss asked him to submit by the next day. It's going to be another one of those sleepless nights, he thinks to himself as he brisk-walks past the neighbouring coffee store. He doesn't have time to grab coffee today.

Sweat beads start to form on his forehead as he picks up his pace, not even wasting a second to glance at his surroundings. All that's on his mind is the tight deadline, the chance of being promoted if this assignment is done to his boss' satisfaction. It must be done perfectly, there must be no flaws worth criticising, worth taking a risk for, in this assignment. Perfect. That is what his boss expects his work to be. A role model for the interns.

 

1940

He doesn't stop to look at the crippled old man begging for money, nor the white-haired old lady sitting on the wheelchair, trying hard to sell at least a few packets of tissue paper before the day ends. He doesn't even stop to feel pity for them. He doesn't have time to feel pity for them. Back in the past, others would have called him a heartless man, who doesn't have emotions, doesn't have a soul. But right now, everyone's the same. Living, walking machines that pass by these beggars everyday, never giving a cent, not even on the hundreth "meeting". Machines that have been designed to create nothing less than perfect.

 

1945

The sound of bagpipes makes its way to Donghae's ears. He stops momentarily, forgets about the burdens on his shoulders. His head feels light, perhaps from the disappearance of the pressing deadlines and expectations. He hasn't heard the sound of bagpipes in a long time. It makes him feel like a child again. Childhood memories flood Donghae's mind in an instant. Grandma used to play that song for me when I was feeling down. He remembers sitting down in front of the fireplace, warming up to the fire, his grandmother sitting in the living room armchair, playing his favourite song. Even long after his grandmother had passed on, he would still remember, fondly, how his grandmother would have a huge smile plastered on her face everytime she played the bagpipes for him.

That was before he was put into the cage of education. Donghae was a smart child growing up, and learned much faster than others his age. His parents placed immense pressure on him, getting admitted to high school at the mere age of thirteen, and learning university material at the age of sixteen. He was what people called a genius. 

 

1947

Donghae makes his way slowly to the owner of the bagpipes, to his astonishment, it is not a elderly man or woman playing it. Instead there stood a middle-aged man, perhaps just a few years older than him. Rags hang loosely on his skinny body, and he wears tattered brown shoes. Donghae look down instinctively at his own shiny, polished shoes. He compared the smart-looking suit he has on him with the bagpipe player's, only to notice a jarring difference.

Before he knows it, he is introducing himself.

"I'm Lee Donghae. You?"

"I'm Lee Eunhyuk. It's nice to meet you, sir."

Donghae tells him there is no need for honorifics, as he is much younger than Eunhyuk. Of course, Eunhyuk is surprised. Especially during peak hours, no one would stop by and actually introduce themselves; they are too busy trying to catch the next bus or train home, much too busy to stop by for a second to appreciate the music.

1950

Donghae finds himself chatting to the bagpipe player like old friends, not minding the weird looks from other commuters. After all, why would two such people be together. Their physical images were an extreme contrast. 

He was ready to pop the question anytime soon. After all, he did not stop by just to enjoy a few minutes of casual conversation with a total stranger. Donghae was a very objective-based person, almost all the things he did had an objective. He does not enjoy wasting time on things that will result in an unbenefitting consequence.

"How much are you selling this bagpipe for?"

Eunhyuk turns to look at Donghae curiously. What would a young and aspiring businessman like him want a bagpipe for? He found the idea totally ridiculous and almost let out a scoff, but decided not to upon seeing Donghae's serious expression.

"I'm not selling it. This bagpipe's been in my family for years, I can't sell it. It kind of holds...a special meaning for me."

Donghae looks desperately at Eunhyuk. He really wanted the bagpipe, though it was just for keepsake.  

 

1955

Shindong strolls along the busy street, freshly-brewed Starbucks latte in hand, taking time to enjoy the night breeze as he walked from the office to the nearest train station. He grinned evily, thinking about ho

Please log in to read the full chapter