In which we are introduced to the love life around SME

Memoirs of a fellow spy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                   

 

[A/N]: Before y'alls combust, just want to say, this IS a TAORIS and XIUHAN. But the ships will sail later in the story so y'alls gotta deal with how this is progressing. Also, it's like 2 am and I'm half dead with sleep, so if there's any mistakes, please chock it up to casual delerium and hope I don't die on my way to uni tomorrow. Much appreciated ;) And finally, Thank you for reading. I sincerely hope you enjoy.

UPDATE: It's 2:30 am. I'm too scared to un-hide the chapter. But oh well, here goes...

                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Tao was the best in the business. His work exuded a certain finesse that none could overlook. Which was why, when said spy was brought into the grand meeting room, everyone expected him to come out as their new head of department.

Now of course if that were the case, would I be writing this memoir? It would be quite boring don’t you think?

No, Huang Zitao, in all his 185 cm glory, was standing in the meeting room overshadowed by a man who looked more like a fairy. And was a good head shorter than him.

“Agent Tao, this is Agent Luhan. He’s new” Tao looked at Luhan and noticed said spy examining his cuticles.

“Uh huh…” Tao waited for the computer to finally get to the reason why Tao was summoned. He had better things to do.

“Well, since he is new, he needs a mentor and a partner. Someone who will show him the ropes-” The computer was cut off as Tao let out a frustrated groan and dragged his hands down his face.

“Why me? I don’t need a partner, nor do I like working with others. I’m Huang Zitao, dammit! I have a reputation. The lone wolf won’t be the lone wolf if he has someone tagging along!”

“Like I was saying” The computer ploughed on, as if nothing had happened. “he needs someone to show him the ropes and data suggests that you are the only one without a team or partner. Moreover, recent files in my database have indicated a spike in your activity on the field. If my data is anything to go by, and my calculations correct, you will soon be swamped with more field work than you can manage by yourself. Hence a partner.”

Tao scowled at Luhan who seemed to now be looking out the bulletproof glass windows of the meeting room, as if he were home alone.  He had yet to see the new spy’s face. Maybe he’s ugly and doesn’t want me to see his face. Tao smirked to himself.

“Luhan’s files show him to have graduated top of his classes. His references were very strong and his physical trainer personally called in to recommend Luhan as a potential employee. And you know Choi Seunghyun never compliments anyone easily.” The computer droned on.

Tao had half a mind to rip the control panel off the wall and smash the computer screen in.  Unfortunately, HYUK – as big of a troublemaker as he may be – was loved by everyone in the office. Even Tao, though he was loathe to admit it most days. And no matter how scared everyone was of Tao, they would have his head if even a scratch befell the beloved computer.

HYUK was not only the main computer/database for SME (Spies, Masterminds and Engineers) but also Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s brainchild. The two top software engineers of SME lovingly called him Athena. He lovingly called them idiots, and not so silently wished for pseudopods to punch the two in their faces. A wish Kyungsoo best mastermind in the business was more than inclined to provide on days Chanyeol and his boyfriend decided to act too couple-y. Only Joonmyun was able to keep Kyungsoo and his fits of temper in check, but having left on a honeymoon with Sehun, his partner (in more ways than one), there was only Kim Jongin left to bear the brunt of Kyungsoo’s rage.

Tao shook himself out of his thoughts as he heard HYUK finish “…starting tomorrow.” He blinked twice, trying to get a grasp on the conversation he had zoned out on.

“You totally zoned out.” Tao jumped as a soft voice spoke beside his ear. He turned to see Luhan smirking at him, and… damn. “Don’t drool.” Luhan winked.

To scrunched up his nose. He was usually the master of his emotions and expressions, and here the new recruit was making him feel all kinds of things just by whispering in his ear.  Tao blinked repeatedly, trying to clear his head.

“You blink a lot when you’re out of your element, don’t you?” Luhan had moved close enough to Tao by now that his hair tickled the other spy’s cheek as he leaned in to whisper. Meanwhile, an oblivious HYUK droned out about – Tao finally caught on – a mission him and Luhan were supposed to go on. Nothing too much since Luhan was new, but nothing so simple that Tao would get bored.

“I really don’t want a partner.” Tao groaned quietly as he moved away from Luhan, unable to stop a pout from forming on his face. He dragged his palm down his face as HYUK heard the last part and decided to lecture him on the importance of “teamwork”.

Tao tried to pay attention and not be distracted by the sound of muffled laughter that somehow managed to remind him of spring – his favorite season.

“This will be…” Luhan tilted his head slightly once out of the meeting room, tapping his chin thoughtfully, “interesting.” With a twinkle in his eyes, he waved goodbye.

Interesting indeed.

Kim Jongin found him standing by the doors of the meeting room, blinking repeatedly. He silently patted the other spy’s back, hoping whatever it was that was bothering him, resolved soon. Huang Zitao was so ed.

“Jongin!” Jongin turned around to come face to face – or rather, face to air above face- with Do Kyungsoo, mastermind at SME.

“Hey hyung!” Jongin smiled at Kyungsoo.

“I need a favor.” Kyungsoo cut to the chase. He really didn’t have time to waste with silly chit-chat.

“I know. The tone of your voice gave it away.” Jongin grinned.

“Right. Forgot your freaky ability to read people.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

“So, what did Chanyeol do this time?” Jongin couldn’t help but chuckle as Kyungsoo scowled.

“It’s not him, it’s Baekhyun. I mean, if I didn’t know any better, I would say that he was doing this on purpose. Like, honestly! Why does he need to cling onto Chanyeol and Jongdae so much? I don’t understand skinship.”

For a mastermind, Kyungsoo could be exceptionally dense. Emotions had a tendency to evade him at times. Jongin smiled fondly at his favorite hyung.

“So, how may I be of service?”  Jongin asked.

“Normally I would ask you to beat up Chanyeol, but he’s our best engineer along with Baek and it’s against company rules to murder one another so… I just need help.” Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin who was frowning a bit.

“Hyung, I really don’t know how to help you. Maybe you two can talk about this?” Jongin shrugged helplessly.

“Honestly Jongin? How are you so innocent and naiive? I’m asking you to help me make Baek jealous. Or atleast realize that he can’t keep getting all touchy feely with other people when he already has a goddam boyfriend!” Kyungsoo seethed.

“Oh. How do we do that?” Jongin scratched his head. He really needed to get going soon, he had an early flight to catch tomorrow and his target was not going to monitor itself.

“Just…follow my lead.” Kyungsoo reached out and grasped Jongin’s large hands into his smaller ones and strode purposefully towards the engineering wing of the headquarters.

SME was divided into three wings. The spies, the masterminds and the engineering wings. While the spy wing was nothing except multiple floors of training rooms, classes, computer labs and mission stimulation rooms, the masterminds had large lounges to themselves, accompanied by tech rooms and various offices that housed perhaps the most conniving people in the world. There were other parts to the mastermind’s offices, but no one other than the masterminds knew what they housed. Mostly because there were intricate puzzles, riddles and problems that one needed to solve to enter them, set up by the masterminds just for pure enjoyment and aimless fun. Sometimes, they would catch a stray engineer or spy and make them try to solve the puzzle, then laugh as everyone failed miserably. Ah, masterminds.

Now the engineers, they had perhaps the best part of the building. Labs upon labs down hallways and in basements. Well lit, light cream colored walls covered by art that looked more like a jumble of symbols to those not very well versed with the world of physics and mathematics the engineers resided in. Glass doors that slid open with an airy swish (designed by Chanyeol because he liked that nice “Star Trekky” noise they made) and pristine sterile labs where gadgets and tools were made. Rooms where chemicals and gadgets were stored, and areas where the engineers can just sit, relax, and pwn each other in a nice, total

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter