001 - Welcome to KAIST

Socially Awkward
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One
// Welcome to KAIST //
 

 

"Welcome to KAIST, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, one of the best Science and Technology Universities around the world. 

Established in 1971, KAIST's purpose is to model a research focused university and to foster elite human resources in science and technology needed by the nation. Currently, KAIST has successfully become a well-respected member of the worldwide science community. In the future, KAIST must become a university in which the world lays its eye upon, by discovering the best leaders, offering the best education, and becoming the envy of the academic world, not only within Korea but all over the world through the university’s inventions—"

 

 

 

 

I sighed. This is probably the ten millionth time I am reading this welcome brochure. I still cannot believe this is really happening. For all I know, this might be some oddly realistic dream I have and when I wake up, I'd probably be dozing off at the school library again. Standing here, at the very gates of KAIST, is just completely surreal to me. My whole life I've been struggling for this moment. All those long years of hard work and perseverance has finally paid off. The other passengers at the train earlier must've thought I was crazy after seeing me smile and giggle to myself like a lunatic, but you couldn't blame me. 
 


The butterflies in my stomach were stirring widly, and I felt like I was about to faint, but I can't pass out now. This is one of the most defining moments of my uninteresting life and I can't ruin it by letting myself lose consciousness. Get a hold of yourself, Sandara.

 

in a deep breath, I took one step forward into the gates of my future— no, my present, and I felt a rush of exhilaration surge through my system. At that very instant, I knew this is where everything about my future will be determined. This is where I'll discover myself and unfold even further in the college life. As the corner of my lips begin to raise, I ventured further into the campus, my suitcase and several other bags in tow, and my curious gaze darting in every direction.

 

Everyone around looked so...preoccupied with their own passions, determined to sharpen and polish them to utmost perfection. I could spot what looks like the football team jogging around the campus, also, the future veterinarians walking dogs, the engineers fiddling with the electricity powered bus and everyone else busily heading towards their dormitories. Everyone had their own parts to play. And I do hope that I will find my own soon...

 

You that feeling when what's going finally sinks in? Like you had just wrapped your head around what's going on because before that you were too paralyzed with happiness? Well this is it— it is really happening! Let me break it down for you: I am now officially a Physics scholar at KAIST, my dream university, the very one that I worked my off just to get into. I couldn't help put stop in the middle of my pace and dance happily. Who wouldn't after so many torturous years of dealing with creepy teachers, numerous odd part time jobs and heaps of studies? Any sane person would do the same after they've cleaned as many toilets and studied as hard as I have. 

 

When suddenly, an obnoxious snicker interuppted my mini victory party, and I froze.

 

No way—

 

"She's so cute!"

 

And then there comes the sound of cameras clicking away. I discreetly looked around, and there they were, an entire amused audience of passers-by watching me make a fool out of myself. Some were even videotaping it with their phones. (Curse you technology!) And in less than 0.1 seconds, my face turned as red as a brick and I darted away with my hood covering most of my face.

 

Oh God.

 

People saw me.  

 

Walk away and pretend it never happened. Yes. Just walk away and pretend it never happened. Erase, erase! Delete! I cannot afford to be noticed by people. The plan is to blend in and study. Blend in and study. Oh my God, Tthis is so embarrassing. Remind me to nev— 

 

"Aish, get out of the way!" A voice yelled from behind. I looked back and before I knew it, there was a shock of silver hair bulleting towards my direction. 

 

"Ouch, hey!" 

 

 

I landed first on the ground, my belongings— scattered, and there was the sight of three obnoxious males speeding past me on their skateboards while cackling like deranged hyenas. And for ten whole seconds, I sat there, gaping in shock, before finally recovering and angrily collecting my stuff. 

 

How— How rude! I scoffed and brushed off the dirt on my jeans as I glared at their figures, most especially at the slender, silver-haired dude in the loose gray tank top who was the one who pushed me, then limped towards the dormitories. 

 

Their backs will forever be embedded into my brain; I mean it. F-O-R-E-V-E-R. 

 

Hmph—

 

 

 

 

"YOU MUST BE SANDARA!"

 

For the love of God, I am not in the mood right now. 

 

A tanned, chinky-eyed blonde girl suddenly ran up to me and gives me a hug as soon as I stepped in my dorm room. I stiffened in her hold, then awkwardly hugged her back just to be polite.

 

"Do— do I know you?" I blinked as I hestitantly pat the girl's back, an utter look of confusion playing on my features. "No, silly!" She giggled and pulled away to send me a bright grin, "I'm your new roommate! My name's Lee Chaerin, but you can call me CL, and I'm a Biological Science major." 

 

"Oh. Uh— Nice to meet you, I'm— I'm— Dara but I guess you already know that, and I— physics."

 

Stuttering again? Really?

 

Fighting back a sigh, I awkwardly stretched out a hand as I mustered a tiny smile. "A physics major, huh?" She looked down at my hand and snorted like it's the most ridiculous thing she has ever seen. "Seriously? You're going to shake my hand when I just hugged you like we're best friends? I'm hurt, Dara-sshi."   

 

"Wha-what?" I widened my eyes in shock whilst bowing repeatedly in apology. "Omo, no! I'm so sorry! Do— do you want a hug? I'm really sorry! I didn't mean to offend you, CL-sshi. I'm so sorry" For a few seconds, she stared at me, slowly beginning to beam at me, then she burst out laughing and pat my head. "Aw, you'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter