Chapter 2

When you mix Beastly Idols and Furry Little Creatures

Junho’s head was swimming with crazy ideas. He was surrounded by five furry creatures, and he had no clue what to do. The rest of 2PM had been turned into animals. Wait, was that even possible? Or maybe these animals were just really smart, smart enough to trick him into thinking they understood him. That was probably as equally possible as his first thought. Which made it impossible.

His head hurt.

Junho suddenly blinked as monkey Chansung tried to grab his attention. Junho spied the banana peel and hesitated.

“I’ll only get you another one if you throw that out,” he tested. Chansung obliged, walking over to the garbage and throwing out his peel.

Junho sighed in defeat and walked over to the counter, grabbing a banana and throwing it over. 

“This is too weird,” he mumbled as he collapsed on the couch, placing Wooyoung the chipmunk on the arm rest beside him. Junsu flew over and perched on top of a desklight nearby, and Taecyeon hopped on the couch, eyeing both bird and rodent.

Nichkhun barked. “Umm, yeah… Hyung, I’m gonna move you. For their sake.” Hesitantly, Junho lifted the cat over and placed him on his other side.

“What now guys?” Five pairs of eyes stared at him, and then he heard them all. Heard the racket anyway.

They probably understand each other. But I have no idea what they’re saying and I’m the only non furry person left. What the hell do we do now?
 



Junho had gone to bed, as it had already been evening when he had first walked in on this whole mess.

“Junho doesn’t understand us. What are we gonna do?” Nichkhun asked their group of merry creatures.

“We can try writing a message--”

“Are you kidding Wooyoung-ah? I can barely work my laptop, how the hell do you think you’ll be able to work a pen?”

“We can try to sing different notes or tunes...”

“Junsu, everything with you is singing. Technically, Chansungie still has thumbs, maybe he can write.”

“Don’t bother, Chansung’s already asleep.” Wooyoung was right. The maknae had found someone’s sweater and was now using it as blanket and pillow.

“Yeah, I think we should all go to sleep.” The pup yawned adorably. “Taec, go sleep in your room.”

“What? Why?”

“Just cause.” The dog made a low growling noise; Nichkhun did not like the idea of letting Wooyoung and Junsu sleep near the feline.

Taecyeon hissed at him in response. “Fine.” He stood up and made his way towards his room.

Nichkhun lifted his head and looked around. Junsu had installed himself between two books that were leaning on one another like a tent, and Wooyoung had found himself a sock in the corner of the couch. The pup yawned again before placing himself to the side of the couch, closer to Taecyeon’s room. Just in case.
 



Junho awoke to more racket: barking and hissing. Above it all, he could hear the squeaks.

Wooyoung.

He sighed and rolled out of bed. Between thoughts of, "Are they really animals?" and "Is this for real?", and the noise they were making throughout the night, he hadn’t gotten much sleep. Grumpily, Junho pulled open his door.

Wooyoung was definitely the one making the most noise; the chipmunk had somehow gotten stuck on top of the kitchen cupboard. Taecyeon was on his hind feet, front paws leaning against the counter, his front teeth bared as he hissed away. Nichkhun was barking, his little body shaking with each yelp, but the little pup did nothing to faze the bigger cat. Chansung was shrieking, and Junsu looked like he still hadn’t gotten the handle of flying.

It was definitely too early for this.

“What the hell guys. Seriously,” Junho complained, reaching for a banana and throwing it over to Chansung. “Taec-hyung move.” The cat hissed back in response. “Seriously hyung, move.” Another hiss. “Hyung, are you seriously thinking of eating Wooyoung?” The cat looked like it was debating the thought before it drew its lips back to show teeth, and walked off towards the couch.

Junho sighed. This was definitely not the morning he had been looking forward to. He approached the counter, and placing his head on the cool surface, he pushed himself higher, extending his other hand towards the chipmunk. Wooyoung didn’t budge.

Junho sighed again. “Wooyoungie, I’m not gonna drop you.”

Wooyoung finally squeaked a reply, and hopped on.

Junho relaxed and set him down on the counter in front of him. He knew how tired he probably was, but this morning’s events had definitely woken him up. Lazily, he walked over and opened the fridge to take out some juice. Reaching towards the cupboard with his right hand, he grabbed a cup and dropped it when he suddenly heard a yell. 
 



Wooyoung didn’t know how he had gotten up there, but he knew that he didn’t want to come down. The aggressive feline that was supposed to be Taecyeon was staring up at him, yelling at him between hisses, and Wooyoung's creature instinct to panic was on an all time high.

“Wooyoung get down! What are you doing up there?”

“Hyung go away! Go away! Someone help me!”

“Taec leave Wooyoung alone!” Nichkhun shouted/barked.

“What are you talking about? Wooyoung come down!”

“Go away! Leave me alone you damn cat!”

“What are you guys doing? If we make too much noise, Junho’s gonna get grumpy and not feed us…”

“Taec leave him alone!”

“Help meeeeeeeeee!”

Junho had finally struggled out of his room and eyed the scene in front of him, before feeding Chansung, and convinving the cat otherwise of his potential meal. Leaning towards Wooyoung, Junho extended his hand.

“You’re quite high up Wooyoung-ah. Junho can barely reach you," Junsu tweeted from where he had settled back on the bookshelf.

“Junsu, that’s not helping him.”

“You’re not that high up Wooyoungie,” commented Chansung off handedly. Half of his banana was already gone.

“How would you guys know? You’re not as small as we are. The world looks so different when you’re this size, and this high off the ground.”

“How can you tell Junsu? You can't even fly straight, you almost hit something," Nickhun commented not unkindly.

They all heard a sigh coming from the single human in the dorm.

“Wooyoungie, I’m not gonna drop you.”

“You better not.”

After finally setting Wooyoung on the table, Junho made his way towards the fridge.

“Seriously Junho. On the ground. I don’t wanna watch you eat, and what are we gonna eat?” The chipmunk started pacing the table, looking for a safe way down.

“Yeah. I’m still hungry. How can monkeys just eat bananas all day?”

“Chansung, you’re the only one who's had something to eat today,” Taecyeon remarked, stretching out as cats often do.

“You can’t just eat in front of us Junho-ah. We’re hungry and we all need breakfast too …” Wooyoung rambled to the younger boy’s back. “Geez, seriously Junho … JUNHO!!”
 



Junho caught the cup that had left his hand in surprise, and the furry creatures all froze from his reaction. Junho slowly turned towards the chipmunk.

“Junho? Did you just hear that?” the chipmunk squeaked in question.

Junho blinked, blank expression still written all over his face. Wooyoung hesitated, narrowing his eyes. What had he just done? Carefully focusing on Junho, he tried again.

“Junho, can you hear me?”

Junho slowly broke into his famous eye-smile. “What the heck. So now you talk to me?”

The room suddenly burst with noise at his response and Junho winced in protest. “Guys, you’re making no sense.”

Junsu flew over and landed on the magazine rack. “Wooyoung-ah. What did you do?”

“I dunno. I just concentrated hard on him and…” 

Another burst of noise; everyone was yelling Junho’s name.

Junho automatically clamped his hands to the sides of his head. “Argh, I can hear you now, just shut up already.” When Junho was sure the noise level had gone down, he removed his hands, and rubbed his temple. “So anyone wanna tell me what’s going on?”

“Other than the fact that we’ve been turned into animals," Taecyeon commented wryly.

“Taec, not the time for jokes," Nickhun responded.

“Junho-ah. We’re running low on food.”

“Shouldn’t we be worrying about how to get you guys back to normal?" Junho asked, rubbing the back of his neck. "I mean, this isn’t permanent… Is it?” 

No one said anything, and the silence stretched on. Deciding to interrupt the rapidly declining mood, Nichkhun trotted over to his human band member. 

“Umm. Junho-ah. Can you scratch my belly?”

Junho looked down at the pup. “Seriously hyung?”

“Yeah. I dunno. Just an urge.”

“We better find a solution quick,” added Taecyeon, as he started to wash his face with his paw. “These feline instincts feel weird.”

“And eventually Taec-hyung’s gonna end up eating Wooyoung or Junsu.. or both.” Chansung added, scratching his head.
 



Junho felt a little awkward as he sat down cross-legged and scratched Nichkhun’s belly. “So exactly what happened to you guys? This obviously happened after manager-hyung left," he pointed out.

“I remember a loud popping sound.”

“And after that, we could all still hear you chirping away Junsu," Taecyeon recalled.

Junho waved the thought away with a hand. “Okay, forget what happened after. What were you all doing right before?”

“I was net surfing as usual.” Taecyeon nodded towards his closed laptop.

“I was cleaning my room. Wow. Now I understand why dogs always love getting their stomachs rubbed.”

Wooyoung turned his little head towards Junho. “You found me in a cereal bowl. What do you think I was doing?”

“I was eating, and reading fanmail.”

“I was practicing Do for Love.”

“By Mario?” Taecyeon asked the bird.

“Yeah.”

“Nice.”

“Anyway,” Junho interrupted, “so this was just some random thing that happened?”

Chansung perked up, suddenly remembering something. “I read something weird off a card right before the popping sound, and animal changing thing...” He trailed off, walking over to a pile of letters. He picked one out, and handed it over to Junho. 

Junho examined the card and narrowed his eyes. “This isn’t supposed to be in english, is it?” he asked, double checking with Nichkhun.

“Definitely not english," the pup replied as he blinked.

Junho opened his mouth and started reading out loud before Wooyoung cut him off. “Woah. Are you sure that’s a good idea? What if you turn into some kind of mole or something?” Junho stopped.

That would be horrible, and turn this already bad situation even worse. He shook the thought out of his head.

"Mole?" Junsu asked.

"You know, with the tiny non-existant eyes..."

Junho heard a low rumble of noises that signified the animals' laughter, and the human rolled his eyes. He turned his attention back on the card and turned it over. At the bottom, there was a neat signature. “Anyone know what a… Zi-ca-na… is?

“Lemme see.” Nichkhun sat up. “Zycannah. No idea. Taec?”

The cat hopped over to Junho's side. “Dunno. Junho-ah, search it up on my laptop.” 

Junho reached for Taecyeon’s laptop and put the name in the search engine.

“Are you serious?” Taecyeon’s cat eyes widened as he stared at the screen.

“What? What?” the others chorused, slight panic hinted on the edge of the tone.

“I dunno if it’s some cruel joke, but this Zycannah thing, it’s a magic show.”

“Do you believe in magic hyung?” asked Junho, a smile playing on his lips.

“Oh shut up Junho. You don’t have to keep pushing thoughts of how a bird might taste out of your head.”

“That’s not funny Taec,” Junsu grumbled.

“Sorry sorry. Anyway. No phone, but there’s an address. It’s one of those moving carnivals. I think it’s nearby.”

Junho pulled himself up. “Guess I’ll go check it out.”

“Wait, without us??” Nichkhun looked up at him. Even as an animal, Nichkhun looked adorably cute.

“What if we need to be there to be changed back?” Taecyeon asked, still eyeing the computer screen.

“And I wanna go outside. This place is way too crowded,” Wooyoung added, puffing his cheeks and trying to look as cute as Nichkhun the puppy. Junho had to admit, it was working.

“How can this place be crowded when you’re that small?” Chansung inquired.

“Chansung-ah, this place is a lot messier than you think. You’d agree with me if you saw it from my point of view,” Junsu  replied from his shelftop.

“Wait, you guys all wanna go outside?” Junho asked, and there were nods all around.

“I really don’t think that’s good idea. I know I’m not as popular as you guys,” Junho scratched his head, “but eventually someone’s gonna recognize me. Even a normal guy with a bunch of animals would attract attention…”

“My sense of smell went up by like ten-fold. Did you know this place smells weird?”

“Junho-ah. Animals aren’t meant to be stuck indoors.”

“Oh, what I'd do for just a breath of fresh air…”

Junho massaged his temples and sighed. He wasn’t gonna argue with his hyungs. “So how’s this gonna work?”