Chapter 1

When you mix Beastly Idols and Furry Little Creatures

Although they didn’t do it often, once in a while 2PM would go through their fanmail for fun. Today, Chansung was the bored one, and with banana in hand, he flipped through the mail, opening the ones addressed to him.

In the background, he could hear a faint voice: Junsu singing in his room, as per usual. Looking up, he spotted Wooyoung sitting on a tall chair by the counter. His arm was stretched, as he leaned over his bowl of cereal and sifted through the rack of magazines that may have been just a bit out of his reach. Chansung looked over his shoulder. Taecyeon was lying on his stomach, feet in the air, head propped up by one hand as he surfed the net with his other. Nichkhun was probably in his room, cleaning up, since their schedule for the last few days had been busier than normal so that they could have the next few days off.

Chansung turned back to his mail, and one particular envelope caught his eye. He picked it up. The address had been written with one of those pretty pens, made for calligraphy. The envelope itself was thicker than normal paper, and had that nice, expensive looking texture. Chansung almost felt sorry for cutting the envelope as he opened it.

Inside there was a matching card with a signature signed at the bottom. Chansung flipped it over. -2PM- was written at the top, and Chansung stared at the message located in the middle of the card. The single line of words was written in the same style as the address on the envelope. Thinking it was in English, he read it aloud, slowly, pronoucing the letters as accurately as possible, hoping it would make sense if he heard it. Even with his limited knowledge of the language, he figured it wasn’t in English.

He narrowed his eyes as he tilted the card for a different angle. He was sure he caught a faint circle shimmer beneath the message, before a loud popping sound made him instinctively close his eyes.

Chansung opened his eyes to a loud chirping noise. He noticed that Wooyoung had suddenly disappeared from his seat by the counter. Chansung slowly turned to look over his shoulder, almost afraid of what he'd find, or not find. In front of Taecyeon’s laptop was…

“Hyung?!” Chansung’s eyes immediately widened.

There was a cat lying down, in the exact position Taecyeon had previously occupied.

“What?” The tabby turned its head, and stared at him with unblinking eyes. “Chansung?!”

“Hyung! You’re a cat!”

“What?" The cat lowered his head to look at himself before he looked back up. "You’re a monkey!" Taecyeon shot back.

Chansung looked at his arm. He saw the fur, and the banana. Even through shock, Chansung was still hungry. He took a bite of his delicious fruit as a small brown dog trotted out of Nichkhun’s room.

“What the hell is going on?”

“I dunno, but of course you’d to be turned into a damn puppy," Taecyeon said. Although his voice filtered in Chansung's mind, he was vaguely aware of the meowing sounds that accompied the comment.

“Everyone stay calm.” A bird flew, rather awkwardly, into the room.

“Junsu, you do realize you’re a bird,” Nichkhun pointed out as the pup tilted his head.

“Taec-hyung, stop staring at Junsu-hyung," Chansung told him as Taecyeon was staring at the bird with unnecessary interest.

Nichkhun placed himself between the feline and the bird, although his small self could do nothing if the cat actually decided to pounce. “What happened to Wooyoung?” he asked.

“Last I saw he was sitting by the counter…” Chansung took another bite and pointed with his free hand.

Four pairs of eyes turned to stare at the bowl of cereal as a chipmunk’s head popped up from the side of the bowl.

“I have no idea what’s going on, but can someone get me out?” Wooyoung wailed. The milk had made the inside of the bowl too slippery for him to get out. But before anyone could do anything, the front door swung open.
 



Junho had just finished his final recording before their well-deserved two day break. The guys had decided that since the break was too short, they’d go visit Chansung’s family since the maknae lived the closest. Reaching their place, Junho noted the absence of noise that should have been seeping through their front door.

The scene in front of him as he opened the door made his eyes widen twice their size.

There was a monkey, the type that collected money in those street performances, sitting by a bunch of papers with a banana in hand. A small chocolate labrador sat by the couch, and in between them, a gray cat lay crouched by someone’s laptop.

Had he just gone crazy? Junho blinked several times. Nope. The animals were still there, and the image was quickly followed by chaos.

The monkey was shrieking. There was barking and hissing, and did he hear a chirping sound? Junho looked around for the source and spotted a bird perched on shelf. In between the noises he thought he heard high pitched squeaking. Looking around again, he spotted the… Is that a chipmunk? … in a bowl of what looked like milk and cereal. The noise was deafening.

“Okay, enough!” Reflexively, Junho put his two hands up, his fingers spread wide. To his surprise, the noise stopped. Except for the squeaks, as the chipmunk was still struggling inside the bowl of cereal.

Junho hesitated. Weren't they getting a break? He didn’t remember a slot in the schedule that could have been dedicated to a hidden camera event.

After another minute of scanning the room, and non-stop squeaking, Junho slowly approached the counter.  He looked down at the chipmunk in front of him who had lessened but had not stopped its noise-making.

"Crap, I’m gonna get bitten aren’t I?” he muttered to himself as he eyed the creature. Was he crazy for what he was going to do next? “Please don’t bite me?”

The chipmunk squeaked a reply and Junho’s eyes darted to the corners of the kitchen. Nope, no cameras. Still cautious, he moved his hands slowly towards the bowl. With a slight pause, he cupped the little creature in his hands and lifted it out. He moved cautiously towards the sink; afraid the chipmunk would bite and jump out of his hands.

As he approached the sink, he looked down at his little captive.

“I’m gonna turn on the tap and wash you okay?” Another squeak and Junho’s eyes moved again. Still nothing.

“Great. Now I’m talking to animals,” he muttered. As he the tap water, he noticed the racket had returned, but this time at lower decibels, and did it actually sound more civilized?
 



“What are we gonna do? Junho can’t hear us!” Taecyeon said as he turned towards Nichkhun and Chansung, tearing his eyes off the bird.

Chansung had just finished his banana. “I think he can hyung, more like he can’t understand us.”

“Yes, thank you for the obvious Chansung,” Junsu replied from his spot on the shelf.

“I think the bigger problem at the moment is the fact that we’re animals,” Nichkhun put in.

“This is weird, and kinda fun! … Ouch.” Junho had flinched because of Wooyoung’s squeaks.

“Wooyoungie, you better not say anything. It's making Junho nervous.”

“Khun’s right. Plus your logic isn’t helping either. Taec stop staring at me!”

The cat blinked its eyes. “I can’t help it! I keep imagining you as a snack.”

“And I’m resisting the urge to bark and chase you around Taec.”

“Guys I’m hungry!"

They were all interrupted by Junho’s voice as their only human member call echooed through the dorm.

“Chansung-ah! Wooyoungie! Khun-hyung! … Anybody?”
 



Junho was done cleaning the milk and cereal off the small creature and off his own hands. He was almost surprised that he was able to complete the task unscathed. He'd never heard of trained chipmunks before.

He could hear a bark here, a chirp there. Even the chipmunk he was holding was part of this strange conversation, and its squeak had startled him.

He grabbed a paper towel and was drying the chipmunk’s fur when he realized that he hadn’t heard a word from any of his bandmates, who were all supposed to be home. The shock at finding animals in the dorm had finally subsided, just a little bit, for him to think straight.

“Chansung-ah! Wooyoungie! Khun-hyung! … Anybody?”

The lights were on in Nichkhun and Junsu’s rooms. Still holding the chipmunk gently in his hands, he headed towards Nichkhun’s room.

“Khun-hyung!” The dog barked in response, and Junho looked down.

“I’ll be back." Great, he was reasoning with the dog now. "I’m just going to see-- ” Another bark cut in the middle of his sentence.

Junho hesitated. “You know where Khun-hyung is?” The dog whined. Was he actually conversing with it now?

“Well, I’m going to check Nichkhun’s--” The dog barked again, louder, interrupting his sentence for the second time.

Junho hesitated, and his eyebrows furrowed as a sudden thought hit him. No way. No flipping way.

“Khun-hyung?” he asked quietly. The dog whined again, laying down and putting his head on his paws. There was only a moment’s hesitation before the other animals exploded in chirps, shrieking and the like.

“Woah, woah, woah!” Junho cried out, and almost unexpectantly, there was quiet.

What were the chances of animals understanding human speech?

“So, you’re…” He faltered with the thought. “Khun-hyung?” The dog barked in reply.

Junho's eyes slowly moved to the cat and he opened his mouth to ask, but it had already pulled its lips back, showing a row of sharp… “Taec-hyung."

He swallowed, bringing his hands up to eye level and slowly opened them, palms upward. As he eyed the furry little creature, it blinked at him, and puffed its cheeks.

“Wooyoung.” Junho let him sit on one of his open palms hands as he let his other hand casually swing down to his side. He didn’t even have to look at the monkey twice.

“Chansung, and that would make you Junsu-hyung,” he concluded, motioning to the bird. He got two chirps in response.

Great. Just great.

Junho had absolutely no idea what was going on. His two day break had just started and somehow Junho felt like he was in a bizarre show at a circus. What were the chances that all of his band members had actually been turned into a bunch of furry creatures?