Chapter Ten

Family man
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How did the raccoon get to the bottom of the hill?”

Several groans responded in unison. Dara sat back in her office chair looking at the tall boy who sprawled before her. He wore his hair clipped short all over, the style usually accented the bleakness in his brown eyes. Today, though, they were alight with humor.

“I give, B.I. How?”

“On the end of the fender.”

“Sick, Kim. Really sick.”

The gibe came from Jenny Kim, and was made affectionately as she finger-combed her dark mane out of her almond eyes. She sat across Dara, next to Hanbin, swinging her foot rhythmically back and forth. Once again, Dara was impressed with how nice the three kids before her could be so nice to one another, though Hanbin remained the most distant.

“Any more jokes to start the session?” Dara asked.

Song Mino hooked a straight chair with his foot, turned it around and straddled it to become part of the semi-circle. At only seventeen he was almost six feet tall. His unruly blonde hair skimmed his ears and fell rakishly over his chocolate brown eyes. He wore his usual deep brown leather jacket.

“No please, Teach, yours was almost as bad as Hanbin’s.” Mino often taunted B.I by using his real name the other boy detested. His smile took the sting away. It was said around school that that grin had gotten him in more trouble with teachers, and into more girl’s pants, than anyone could count. Although the kids’ crudity still shocked Dara at times, the description was apt.

“How’s everyone doing today?” Dara casually guided the talk around to why they were all there.

Shoveling a chocolate chip cookie into his mouth, Mino reached for another of Park’s Cache, as they had dubbed her treats.

“Aw, just the usual depression, a little schizophrenia, one or two suicide warning signs popping up here and there.”

Again his grin softened his sarcasm and Dara made a mental note to thank him later for breaking the ice. He’d done it often in the six weeks they’d been meeting. These three students were high risk, potential suicide candidates who’d been referred last year before Dara came to Yon sang High. The number of suicidal teenagers at the school had spurred hiring someone specifically trained in this area.

Jenny was about to make a comment, when there was a knock on the door. Dara frowned, knowing the secretaries had specific instructions not to interrupt these sessions. She rose from the chair, opened the door and came face-to-face with Kwon Hayi.

The young girl stood tall before her and only the trembling of her lower lip indicated how scared she really was. Dara’s heart sank at seeing her. Much as Hayi needed the help this group could give her, she could not be included over the resistance of her father. Damn his stubborn pride. Excusing herself, Dara stepped into the hall to explain this to Hayi, only to come face to face with the hide she just cursed. She was so surprised that she was momentarily speechless.

“Hi,” Jiyong said, his tone oddly humble. “I hope it’s not too late for Hayi. To make this session, I mean.”

The statement was fraught with other meaning. Standing before her was a proud man who had overcome his own fears to admit his daughter needed help that he couldn’t give her. Hayi was sure it was one of the most difficult things he’d ever done.

“Of course it’s not too late. We just got started.” She smiled warmly, then addressed Hayi, “You ready for this?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, I think you are.” Dara turned to open the door, but saw, from the corner of her eye, Jiyong reach for Hayi and give her an encouraging hug. He whispered something in her ear, the backed away.

Inside, Dara seated Hayi next to her and began the introductions. “This is Kwon Hayi. I mentioned last time that we might possibly have a new member soon and here she is. How about some introductions?”

Silence reigned. Hayi’s wary eyes were glued to the schoolbooks she held on too tightly. At last, someone spoke up.

“Hi, Hayi. I’m Song Mino. Don’t believe all you hear about me from the other kids, except what a cool dude I am.” Then he winked at her, his eyes sparkling.

Dara smiled, noting Hayi’s blush. She could have hugged Mino for his teasing.

“Jenny Park,” a sultry voice put in. “Glad we got another chick to even out the odds here, no offense, Ms. P”

“None taken.”

Dara turned to the last member of the group and arched an eyebrow.

“B.I” was all he said, but his cold clipped tone spoke volumes. Dara saw Hayi’s whole body tense in reaction.

“Don’t mind Hanbin,” Mino told her, “He’s just p-sorry, ticked off that we don’t like his joke for the day.”

A good place to start. Dara folded her hands in front of her to present a relaxed pose. “We usually begin with a joke every time, Hayi, and B.I’s was particularly, ah, sick, today.” The teenagers chuckled and Dara continued. “Then we go around the table and tell how we’ve been doing since the last session. Usually, we find something to zero in on for the remainder of the hour and a half.”

Hayi lifted her eyes from her books. “Okay.”

“If anyone wants to pass, he or she can,” Dara added and smiled encouragingly at the girl. “You can just listen today to get the lay of the land, if it’s okay with the rest of you.” Dara scanned the group, holding her breath they’d agree. She knew how important it was for them to make decisions and feel ownership of their time together, but she was hoping they’d take pity on the youngest and newest member. Mino jerked his chin upward.

“I’m cool.”

“Yo,” Jenny agreed, staring at Hayi with assessing eyes.

Dara knew she was taking stock of the browned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter