Chapter 2

The girl at the back of the class

Chapter 2:

Eun Gi’s POV:

The next day was as per usual, I was about to walk into class when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around. It was Yuna, the queenka of the school. She dragged me to the corner and took out my headphones before smashing it on the ground. I said nothing. She sneered, “You’re the one in the same group as them right? Just stay as project mates and nothing else so you better stay away from my Myung Soo or you’ll get it from me. I assure you. Understand?” I said nothing and picked up my headphones, that was already broken, on the floor. Before I left, she added, “You’re a nobody who doesn’t even dare to talk in class so you better know your limits.” I felt like shouting at her, I felt like punching her, but I did nothing. I walked back to class, visibly embarrassed as I held onto my headphones. I sat down at the back of the class and images of her shouting at me filled my mind. I tried so hard to not say anything in class so that I would never have to face her or face anyone shouting at me. But it still happened. I should have known that news will spread into her ears and I should have known that being in the same group as Myung Soo was the worst ever problem and I should have known better than to even talk to him… I was quiet but I have my dignity and my pride. I don’t dress up with make-up and look like dolls but I have my dignity and my pride. I don’t flirt with kingkas of the school but I also have feelings. I am known as “the girl at the back of the class” but I also have feelings. I felt like I needed an escape and hurriedly fixed the pieces of my headphones back together. Just then, Myung soo and Sunggyu stepped into the classroom and sat down. Somehow, the class quietens down when they walk in and girls just seem to have their eyes fixed on them. Myung Soo turned around to ask me about the project. I knew that I was not doing anything wrong but I also knew that I could not ever win Yuna. With her one move, my high school life could just be ruined by her. I looked at Myung Soo and said coldly, “Let’s not meet today. I’ll finish off the powerpoint slides before I email you.” He looked at me, and then said, “Why are you so cold today?” I replied, “Please don’t forget, I’m the girl at the back of the class that everyone says I am.”

Myung Soo’s POV:

I looked at her. She was different today. I tapped Sunggyu’s shoulder and told him not to meet today and that I would not be home for lunch that day. He nodded and reminded me to study for the Maths test the next day. I gave nod but my mind was elsewhere. I was thinking of what happened to Eun Gi. She was always quiet but I was sure that there was something wrong. Just then, Mrs Kim walked into class and started lessons.

-

During break time, everyone stood up and headed for the cafeteria. Sunggyu and I left the classroom, leaving only Eun Gi. We bought our food and sat down and were quickly joined by Yuna and her girl-friends. “Oppa…” she cooed, “it sure is hard for you to work with that girl isn’t it? Too bad we didn’t take the same major or we can be in the same class.” I secretly rolled my eyes and replied, “I think I’m thankful we didn’t take the same major.” Yuna stood up and folded her arms. “OPPA! HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS? I SHALL TAKE IT THAT YOU’RE IN A BAD MOOD TODAY AND FORGIVE YOU. HMPH!” With that, she stormed off with her girl-friends and Sunggyu patted me on my shoulder, signaling me a good sign. That day after class, I didn’t head home, but instead went to find Yuna.

“Oppa, were you looking for me?”

“Yuna, I want to make this clear. I don’t like you and I think you should spend time on some other guy or something. You’re.. just not my type.”

“Don’t speak too soon oppa. I will make you fall really hard. For me.”

I shook my head and left. And my legs just decided to carry me to Eun Gi’s house. I really wanted to ask her what had happened…

EunGi POV:

I headed straight home from school and called Soo Young from her room. Immediately, I burst into tears and I told her about what had happened. “The headphones were bought by Father for my birthday and the next day, the car accident happened. That was the only thing they left behind except this house and money.” Just then, the doorbell rang. Soo Young went to see who it was. She turned around and said, “It’s him. Don’t worry. I’ll talk to him.” I smiled and thanked Soo Young. She nodded before leaving the house.

Soo Young’s POV:

“What are you doing here? Eun Gi mentioned that she would email you the slides, didn’t she?” I questioned him. He nodded and told me that Eun Gi seemed rather weird today and that he just wanted to find out if anything had happened.

“You know, the headphones were the only thing they left behind.”

“What?”

“Nothing. It’s alright. Please take your leave now, we’re busy.”

I turned and left and headed back inside. I walked up to Eun Gi and consoled her. I was the only one who knew her and how she was feeling. She seems tough and cool on the outside, but on the inside, her heart had long been broken since the accident. Now, she was just living to put the broken pieces of her heart back together, to heal the broken heart and the perfect life. She shuts the world out, hoping that she wouldn’t have to feel anything again because that pain she felt 3 years ago, it was enough to kill her. She wished she had died rather than to live with this stinging pain, but she knew that the fact was that the angels didn’t take her away…

Eun Gi POV:

I sat there and stared at the photo in the photo frame on the television table. I miss you.

*Flashback 3 years ago*

It was a Sunday afternoon and I was going to celebrate my birthday by with my parents. “Mum, Dad! Let’s go, or we’ll be late for the movie.” I exclaimed. We hurriedly entered the car and headed for the cinema. Suddenly, a teenager from nowhere dashed across the road. Father swerved to the side to avoid knocking into him, causing the car to drive right into the tree. “AHH!” that was all I heard before she out after the car crashed. When I woke up, I was lying on the hospital bed with Soo Young next to me.

“Soo Young, where am I?”

“This is the hospital. You and your parents met with a car accident.”

“I remember now. Father swerved to avoid knocking down the teenage boy. My parents are fine right?”

“Eun Gi… your… they didn’t survive the crash.”

“You’re lying. My parents are well and good aren’t they? Tell me you’re lying! Tell me! Soo Young!”

For the next 6 months I spent my time staying at home. I couldn’t face up to the fact that my parents were so cruel to me alone in this world. I had a perfect family. Wonderful parents. They promised that we would travel to London together someday. But they left me when I was 16. No last words and nothing except a big house and loads of money. I wanted none of that, just their love and care and their presence was enough. I didn’t dare to be open to the world after that. I always kept my emotions within me so I would never have to reveal the imperfect side of me. I didn’t need people to laugh over my misfortune and my loss. I only had Soo Young then… I walked out of that painful darkness finally after 6 months but I could never smile and laugh as care-freely as before anymore. What if I hadn’t rushed my parents to leave as soon as possible? We wouldn’t have met the teenager and the accident wouldn’t have happened. What if I didn’t say I wanted to watch the movie? What if….

*End of flashback*

“Eun Gi!” Soo Young called.

I was jolted back to the present. I told Soo Young not to worry and that I’d be talking a walk in the park. She agreed and told me to be careful. I took my coat and headed for the park.

Myung Soo’s POV:

I walked slowly as I left Eun Gi’s house. I was sure she was keeping something from me. I wanted to know her story. I needed to know her story.  I made my way to a nearby coffee house to purchase a cup of coffee. As I walked out, I saw her sitting by the park on the bench, looking down, and her hair swaying freely in the wind. I wanted to walk up and speak to her but something held me back. It was fear. I was the Kingka of the school and I had never felt this momentary fear in my life before. What exactly does Eun Gi have to make me feel this way? I decided to head back home without speaking to her. 

“you’re finally back. Where did you go?”

“just took a walk and did some window shopping” I lied.

-

Eun Gi POV:

The next day morning, I woke up and went to take a long refreshing bath. I thought about all the problems in life and how I wished Mum and Dad were still here with me.  I came out of the shower and picked a long-sleeved white button down top with a black skater skirt along with black lace-up pumps. Not the typical kind of girl who spends hours putting on make-up and choosing a y enough dress to wear to school, I immediately woke Soo Young up. “SOO YOUNGGGGGGG…..” I shouted into her ear. “yah! What time is it now? Am I late again?” She asked. “It’s 6.45am. What do you think? You turned off both your previous alarms!” She jumped out of bed and dashed to the toilet, as she always does.   I made my way to the living room and decided to whip up a simple cereal breakfast to eat before we made our way to school. A few moments later, Soo Young emerged from her room dressed in a simple tee and jeans. “breakfast? Yay!” she exclaimed. We ate hurriedly before heading for school. Before we headed for different directions, Soo Young said, “Eun Gi ah, remember always that you’re a human and you have your rights to speak up for yourself.” I nodded my head before I headed for class. I sat down and started to just recap some formulas for that day’s maths test. Soon, Mrs Kim stepped into class and requested to meet me in private outside the class. I walked out, curious about what Mrs Kim wanted to tell me.

“Eun Gi, the school has decided to send you for a 6-month university scholarship program in England. You’re the only one who has been selected to go so I hope you can make a wise decision. Here’s the program booklet. You have a few days to think about it. Ok?” Mrs Kim started. I nodded my head and clutched tightly onto the paper. Was I ready to just let go of all I had here?

-

During break time, I was about to make my way to the cafeteria when Yuna pulled me towards a corner. Before I could even question her, she snarled, “I warned you to stay away from my Myung Soo. Why didn’t you heed my advice?” “I did.” I replied. “AS IF. Who are you lying? Why was he following you home then?  Don’t think I don’t know. I know everything.” I remembered what Soo Young said to me that morning.

“Eun Gi ah, remember always that you’re a human and you have your rights to speak up for yourself.”

I felt a sudden courage built-up inside me. I answered back, “I don’t know why did he follow me back but I know something. And that is that you have absolutely no right to interfere with friends I make.” Yuna sent her hand flying right to my face and gave me a tight slap. I fell to the floor, shocked by her sudden action. I held onto my burning red cheek and stood up. “This shall teach you a lesson for talking back to me. Don’t bother looking for any eye witnesses or cameras. This staircase has none.” With that, Yuna walked away, leaving me rooted to the ground. Perhaps you really shouldn’t stay here. I thought to myself.

 

Myung soo’s POV:

I looked around but she was nowhere in the cafeteria. Sunggyu patted on my shoulder and asked, “Who are you looking for?” I shook my head and told him I was just looking around. “Are you ok? You’ve been looking really listless these few days.” Sunggyu asked me.

“I don’t know. I just have this sudden something for Eun Gi. It’s like I have this feeling that there should be something about her I should know. Something that I should find out.”

“I guess you’re thinking too much. She’s the girl at the back of the class. Do you really think she’d open up to everyone? Probably just that friend… Soo Young was it?”

I nodded and muttered under my breath, “She’s special.”

Eun Gi’s POV:

That day after school, while I was on the way home, I thought about what happened earlier in the day. I was previously hesitant about the scholarship but what happened earlier made me feel even more certain that I should go for the scholarship. When I reached home, I decided to tell Soo Young everything that happened. Afterall, she was the only one I could really confide in.

“So you’re really going to go?”

“Perhaps this school was never meant for me. Maybe a break from this school for 6 months would do me good. But you’ll be alone…”

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine. Go inform your teacher tomorrow that you’re ready to leave next month.”

I looked at Soo Young, hoping to guess how she was truly feeling. She gave me a definite nod, and I knew she had my interests at heart.

1 month flew past so quickly, before I knew it, it was the morning of my travel.

I woke up all fresh and excited, but also with a nostalgic feel about leaving Soo Young. I got dressed in a black chiffon cross-backed spaghetti striped top with white pants and a simple cardigan.

“I’ll miss you a lot.” I cried as I stood at the doorstep, hugging Soo Young.

“Me too. Go on, don’t miss your flight.”

I waved goodbye as I hailed for a cab and headed for the airport. I looked out of the window and memories of the place flooded my mind. Suddenly, my phone buzzed. It was a message from Myung Soo : I just knew that you were leaving. The past month knowing you was amazing. Wish I knew you were leaving earlier so I could woo you. Safe flight, be back soon. I’ll be waiting. xx

I smiled. I remember how I decided to not care about Yuna and live my life to the fullest, but also reminding myself never to fall in love with him because I’d be opening too much to him. But now, this feeling of missing him flooded my heart and I thought about how we bonded together the past month. Soon,  I arrived at the Incheon International Airport and before I knew it, I was in the plane on the way to England.

Myung Soo’s POV:

Mrs Kim stepped into class and announced, “Class, I am proud to announce that Eun Gi from our class is going to England for her scholarship today.” The class clapped, but I wondered why Eun Gi didn’t tell me anything about it. I secretly took out my phone and sent her a message.

-

That day after class, I was about to head home when I saw Soo Young. She waved anxiously at me and walked over, “Hi! This is letter from Eun Gi. She wanted me to pass it to you.” After handing over the letter, she bid goodbye and walked away. As soon as I reached home, I opened the letter. It read :

Dear Myung Soo,

By the time you receive this letter, I would already be on the plane, on my way to England. My land of dreams and hope. I’m sorry for not telling you in advance that I’d be leaving. I didn’t want to spoil the simple yet beautiful friendship we had built throughout the past one month. Thank you for accompanying me going kite flying, studying together, and helping me to build my confidence. Truthfully, Yuna has been looking for me frequently this past month. Haha, I’ve been slapped by her, pushed by her, scolded by her, laughed at by her, but I never retaliated. I’ll just take it that she was jealous of me. All my life, I believed that one is truly pretty not based on outer appearances but inner beauty. I was going to give up on this belief, until you came into my life. Please, don’t scold or shout at her as a form of “avenging” for me. Just stay true to yourself, always. I don’t wish to lie to you anymore, my parents aren’t overseas. They’re in heaven already. They passed away in a car accident 3 years ago. Now, I can answer your question about why I don’t talk in school. I don’t want to show them the scarred side of me. I guess that’s all I want to say.

Live well.

Eun Gi.

So this was the truth behind the girl at the back of the class.

-end of chapter 2