Chapter 1

The girl at the back of the class

Chapter 1:

Eun Gi’s POV:

I woke up and immediately got dressed. It was the first day of the school term and I wanted to be early enough to get my favourite seat. “haru haru…” I sang to ‘Haru Haru’ by Big Bang as I went to take a bath. I decided to wear a comfortable grey knitted long sleeve top together with black slacks and a black bagpack. All dressed up, I turned to look at Soo Young who was still sound asleep on her bed. “Soo Young ah! Wake up, it’s already 6.40am! If you don’t get ready by 7 I will leave without you ah!” I shouted at Soo Young before making my way to the dining table to have breakfast.

 

Soo Young’s POV:

“What?! It’s 6.40am already? OMG! ” I exclaimed as I rushed to the toilet and took a quick bath. I put on a checkered button-down top and denim shorts before grabbing my sling bag. I dashed to the dining area where Eun Gi was sitting, “Morning Eun Gi… It’s 7.02 now. I knew you’d wait for me. You always do.” Chuckling, Eun Gi and I left home and headed for school. As soon as we reached the crossroad, we bid farewell as we headed for our own high school.

Myung Soo’s POV:

I headed to the kitchen where the aroma of pancakes greeted me. Sunggyu, who was tossing pancakes in the air, said, “Count yourself lucky you have such an awesome cook in the house!” I smirked as we sat down to eat breakfast together. We casually started talking about Choi Yuna. The school’s supposed Queenka who is like HEAD OVER HEELS about me. Seriously. I definitely don’t have plans to accept her but neither does she have plans to give up. After having breakfast, we left for school. Upon arrival, a group of girls swarmed up to us and “welcomed” us with their high pitched, “OPPAAAAA!!!!!” Sunggyu and I gave a slight smile as we squeezed through them. Before I could carry on walking, a girl in a y black mini dress and RED lipstick stood in front of me. I looked up and immediately recognised Yuna. She looked at the girls who “welcomed” us and as if by magic, they all dispersed and went back to their classes. Power of the Queenka eh. Satisfied, Yuna started to say, “Oppa… I really missed seeing you for the past month… What do you think of this new dress?” I forced a slight smile and looked at Sunggyu and requested for help with my pleading eyes. Sunggyu walked over and dragged me away and told Yuna, “Sorry. Gotta go.” With that, we ran to our designated class. As we were the last 2 to enter the class, we sat at the last 2 empty seats, in front of Eun Gi a.k.a “The girl at the back of the class” (that’s what everyone said she was called). 

Eun Gi’s POV:

“Kingkas in this class? More drama…” I thought to myself. Just then, Mrs Kim stepped into the class and announced, “Good to see everyone! I’m Mrs Kim and I will be your teacher for the whole year. This is not your first year here so I believe we can just start work right?” We gave a nod and Mrs Kim started with lessons.

-

Just before class ended, Mrs Kim continued, “Alright. For the history project that I talked to you about earlier, I will be choosing your groups of three.” The whole class grunted while I sat and awaited for my name to be called along with my 2 other members. Just then, I heard Myung Soo call out to Sunggyu saying, “Wow. She really is the girl at the back of the class. Like what everyone said. Totally quiet. Doesn’t she even talk?” I sighed. Being sociable was never my forte and I would always prefer to keep it in. “Alright, here are your groups, Yuri with Minhyuk and Mina, So yoon with Yongguk and Jin hee..   …  … … Lastly, Myung soo, Sunggyu and Eun Gi. Don’t forget that the project will be due in 3 days. It is an important project, so do well. Class dismissed.” Mrs Kim said. I sighed. WHY THEM. NOW THE QUEENKA AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO WISH THEY COULD BE IN MY PLACE WILL HUNT ME DOWN AND KILL ME. As usual, I kept that in me and kept a straight face. The class slowly emptied and was only left with Sunggyu, Myung soo and me. “What? Why her? If she isn’t going to talk how are we going to work together?” Myung soo whispered loud enough for me to hear to Sunggyu. Chuckling, Sunggyu replied, “Ah, chill. She’s the smartest kid, she’ll help us ace it. Trust me.” I put on my headphones and carried my bag, ready to leave the class when Myungsoo took off my headphones, “Meet at the old oak tree behind the back gate. Less people.” With that, he put my headphones back and I walked to the meeting venue.

Myung Soo POV:

“What? Why her? If she isn’t going to talk how are we going to work together?” I whispered to Sunggyu. He assured me that it’d be fine. Before I could even tell her anything, Eun Gi put on her headphones, ready to leave the class. I told her to meet us at a quiet place, or she’d definitely be chopped into pieces by Yuna. Not literally, but you get the idea. Awhile after she left the class, Sunggyu and I headed for the oak tree at the school’s back gate too. When we were there, she was already there, seemingly immersed in the song she was listening to. Her lips moved slightly as she mouthed the words, and in that moment, I saw something in her I never expected to see. I didn’t know what it was, just that simple aura around her… Just then, she turned around and waved at us. We walked over and looked around. No signs of Yuna. “Yuna eh?” she asked, as though she knew clearly what was happening. Sunggyu nodded. “Why are all girls crazy over you guys?” she asked, somewhat innocently. Sunggyu and I looked at her, offended. “Okay, okay, I’m sorry.” She said, chuckling. “Is there a way we can get to your house without passing the main school gate?” I asked Eun Gi. She looked at me, silent, before nodding her head. She led us through a small garden and a short walk before reaching her house. It was a house that wasn’t too big or small, but not something that one person would live in.

 

 

 

I guess she sensed a sense of uncertainty among Sunggyu and I so she quickly added, “The house was bought by my parents. They’re overseas so this is all they can give me. I stay with my friend who goes to another school.” Sunggyu looked at me, surprised that my family story was similar to hers. “Myung soo’s parents are overseas too, so we live together.” Sunggyu added.  Nodding, the three of us stood outside her house. “Aren’t you going to invite us in?” I asked. “You didn’t say we were going to do the project in my house.” She replied. With that, she opened the door and invited us in.

Eun Gi’s POV:
I invited them in and shouted, “Soo Young ah..” Soo young came down from her room and looked at me before fixing her eyes on Myung Soo and Sunggyu. “er.. this is myung soo and sunggyu. They’re here for a history project. You’ll probably see more of them the next 2 days.” Soo young nodded and introduced herself to them before going back to her room. I told them to get started while I cooked something for lunch. I rushed to the kitchen and decided to cook a simple spicy kimchi soup that would take just about 30 minutes.

As soon as I was done, I brought the kimchi soup with 4 bowls of rice out to the dining area. I called for Soo young to join us but she was doing her schoolwork so she said she’d only eat it later. Settling down at the dining table, I ate quietly and didn’t utter a word until Sunggyu received a phone call. “What happened?” I asked, concerned. He exclaimed anxiously, “My uncle is in the hospital. I need to rush there. Please fill me in on the project later. Mianhe!” With that, he left hurriedly, leaving only Myungsoo and me. “Why don’t you talk in school? You seem friendlier with people out of school than in school.” He asked. I stuttered, “err…err…err… let’s just eat quickly so we can finish the project.” He nodded and we ate quietly.

“We’re working on Singapore right?” Myung Soo asked.

“Yup.” I replied.

“When did Singapore gain its full independence?”

“9 August 1965! Didn’t you know?”

“I’m not the smartest kid in high school!”

-

Soon, 2 hours had passed and we were just left with the final powerpoint slides. Deciding to call it a day, Myung Soo left and we agreed to meet outside my house again the next day to complete the project.

 

Myung Soo’s POV:

I looked back as she stood there, waving goodbye. Her hair cascaded down her back as it was blown by the wind. I waved back before walking back home. She was different. Special. I don’t know, she wasn’t my ideal type – the pretty kind who’d be dolling up with make-up and the bad-girl kind. She was the shy one who would make sure she wouldn’t reveal too much of her story and only save her story for those she thinks are willing to listen. Mind in a whirl, I took a slow walk home. Why did she make such a big impact on me? She was just “the girl at the back of the class”, and I have many other suitors. I decided to stop thinking about it and entered the house. I gave a quick call to Sunggyu to find out that is Uncle had fallen down and only suffered some superficial wounds, not to worry. I went back to my room when I suddenly remembered I didn’t ask for Eun Gi’s number. I smacked my head as I lay on my bed.

Soo Young’s POV:

“Ahhh… Our dear Eun Gi brought two kingkas back home ahh…” I teased Eun Gi.

“YAH! SOO YOUNG! PROJECT! PROJECT! PROJECT!”

“How was your couple time after Sunggyu left?”

“Carry on asking and I won’t wake you up tomorrow even if you’re late”

“Fine! Wake me up k.”

Eun Gi and I sat down by the sofa.

“Eun Gi ah... why didn’t you reply when he asked you why you never talked in school?”

“He didn’t need to know.”

“Did you tell him too that your parents are overseas?”

“Yup. Heaven is just another country my parents are in.”

“Cheer up girl, you have me!!! Talking of which, I need to ask you some Math questions. Hehe.”

I nodded my head as I looked at her math questions, while I thought about my parents.

  • Chapter 1 end