Final Chapter

Trade Mistakes

Sehun stared down at his feet, rocking back and forth on the heels. A cool breeze blew by and he huddled closer into his jacket, wondering how exactly a corpse was even capable of feeling the weather.

It was almost noon and, in less than fifteen minutes, she would be meeting him for their date. He leaned against the building behind him, staring up at the sparse peaks of the sky from between the silhouettes of the skyscrapers encompassing the city. His shoulders felt heavy and his mind was clouded, nothing but a short, constant, white noise filling his head.


Somewhere along the way, he had decided he wouldn’t back out of this day. He would take her out. He would bring her to all her favorite places, do all her favorite things, make sure her last day was a good day. But when it was her time, he would let her go. He would watch her die and he would take her soul and when it was all done and over with, he would leave, swiping his spirit clean of any remaining sentiment that insisted on clinging to the hole in his soul where his heart might have been. This was the most he could do. This was the most he could manage. After all, reapers were not like doctors.

"Am I late?"

He turned to see her approaching the building, clad in a simple summer dress and cardigan, a bashful smile playing on her lips.

"N-No." he stuttered, standing erect, "I was just early."

She nodded, muttering a short “oh.” He swallowed nervously, his legs twitching with uncertainty.

"So, what are we gonna do?"

His head shot up as she spoke, his lips instinctively curling in. Her eyes locked with his and she smiled, waiting patiently for an answer.

"W-well, I- uhm, I had a plan, sort of."

"Then should we get going?" she approached him, taking a hold of his hand, her fingers casually slipping through the gaps between his. He bit his lip to hold back the chill that ran through his spine as she nudged him to lead. Sehun began pacing down the street, almost forgetting where he was headed as his mind focused on the feeling of her soft palms against his skin.

"Where are we going?" he heard her call from behind him, her heels clicking quickly in attempt to keep up.

He slowed his pace, allowing her to catch up to his side. She glanced up at him, her eyes wide with curiosity. He smiled shortly, his hand tightening around hers as he mumbled, “You’ll see.”

**************************************

"What’s with that face?" she giggled, her eyes curving into small crescents.

Sehun flushed, his lips protruding petulantly as he fiddled with his fork, “Nothing.”

"You don’t like Italian food?"

He stared down at the steaming plate of chicken parmesan before him. With his fork, he cut off a piece, placing it in his mouth as he chewed thoughtfully. His features contorted, his throat tightening, as if refusing to accept the horrid food into his stomach. Apparently, his corpse was not partial to Italian cuisine.

"Why are you trying to eat it again?" she asked, the smile still faintly dancing upon her lips.

"I thought it might taste better the second time." he mumbled, placing his fork down and pushing the plate away.

"Well why’d you choose an Italian restaurant if you don’t like their food?"

He his lips, his eyes cast down at the array of appetizers and entrees spread across the table. In truth, he hadn’t even tried the food before. Sustenance was hardly something he needed to worry about. It was only because he’d seen her in such places so many times before that he’d thought to bring her to a new one. He’d figured it would be something of a last supper, a final celebration before she met her fateful end. His eyes wandered to her plate, almost entirely bare, spare for the few scallions pushed to the side.

"At least you liked it, right?"

She glanced down at her plate, chuckling lightly, “Yeah, I suppose.”

"Should we leave now, then?"

She nodded, following him as he signed the check and slipped out of the booth. He reached for her hand, his chest swelling with excitement at the contact as he guided her to the exit.

A gust of wind blew by as they made their way onto the sidewalk. It was almost twilight, and the Sun was beginning to make its way into slumber. He glanced down at his fingers intertwined with hers, feeling the warmth of her skin against his icy hands. He’d spend the entire day with her, visiting the aquarium because she liked fish, and the shopping center because she liked people watching, and the restaurant because she liked Italian food, and all the little places in between that he knew she would enjoy. He’d made sure to keep her smiling, to keep her comfortable and satisfied, all the while, pushing her death to the back of his mind. Now, as the day came to an end, his stomach churned, his fingers gripping tightly onto her flesh, the blissful euphoria he’d fallen slave to suddenly abandoning his heart as he realized he had nowhere else to take her.

"Are you okay?" she inquired, running her thumb softly over his skin. He nodded shortly, mumbling something along the lines of "It’s fine" and "It’s nothing."

She furrowed her brow, her lips pressed together as she looked ahead of the crosswalk, her features quickly brightening. “Is that a park?”

He followed her gaze to the wrought iron gates across the street, surrounding a patch of foliage.

"Do you wanna go?" she turned to him, "We can just walk for a bit. Till the sun sets."

He chewed his lip, somehow hesitant to cross the street. The light beamed red as the cars came to a stop and, before he could object, she pulled him along with her, crossing the street excitedly.

She led him into the park, strolling along the stone walkway as her eyes wandered over the willows and calla lilies, a soft sigh lifting her shoulders. Sehun tilted his head back, frowning at the trees obstructing his view of the sky.

"You can’t see the sunset from here."

"Still, it’s nice, isn’t it?" she shrugged, swinging their intertwined hands back and forth. He brought his head down, glancing at her as she admired the richly toned greenery on either side of their path.

"Yeah," he mumbled, the word almost dying on his lips when she looked up at him.

"So, uhm," he cleared his throat, diverting his gaze to floor. "How did your interview go?"

"Oh," she grinned, her cheeks flushing, "It went well, I think. Hopefully, I’ll hear back from them soon."

He nodded absently, his heart contorting in his chest. He spared her a glance, her eyes now searching over the innumerable bushes lining the path. Sehun marveled at the being beside him. He couldn’t bring himself to understand how something so warm, so vital, so alive, would be lying lifeless in his arms in only a matter of hours. Or was it minutes now?

"Are you alright?" she bit her lip, her gaze flickering between his cloudy irises.

"Y-yeah." he muttered, attempting to hide the melancholy coating his voice, "I just-"

He sighed, running his free hand through his tangled hair. What could he say? That he was upset because she would be dying in a matter of moments? That he was finding this day particularly hard, for reasons he himself couldn’t fathom? That he simply didn’t like the idea of her becoming a hollow corpse, buried six feet beneath the Earth, useful only to his kind when they needed a spare body to play with? She wasn’t ready to die yet. She was so young and had so much to offer, so much to contribute to the world, and what was he? The vampire, the parasite that would gnaw away at her livelihood, the warmth right from her skin and carry her grey soul to some imaginary hell b with nothing but hopes for a better existence that would surely never come. Why did it have to be him? Why did he have to be the one to guide her there, whispering empty words of assurance as he led her into nothingness?

"I’m sorry." he whimpered, grimacing at the floor.

She stopped in her stride, turning to face him. Her voice was gentle as she searched for his gaze. “What for?”

His shoulders rose as he heaved another sigh. “I- just- I don’t know. I wish I could do something to help you, you know?”  

"I mean-" He cleared his throat, rubbing the nape of his neck as he quickly added, "With your job interview."

He bit his lip, hoping he didn’t expose himself in anyway. The thought almost made him laugh. As if she even believed a thing like him could exist.

"That’s alright." she smiled. He glanced up, wondering if perhaps the red tinge on her cheeks was just from the cold.

"Actually," she brushed her bangs behind her ear, "You’re helping a lot already."

"I am?" he frowned, his forehead creasing in confusion. She nodded, stuffing her hands into the pockets of her cardigan.

"By taking me out on this date." she gestured to their surroundings, her blush deepening.

"How’s that?" he arched a brow.

"Well," she chuckled nervously, "To be honest, I was actually a nervous wreck about the interview for the last few days."

She continued walking, taking slow steps first to ensure he was following, before returning her attention to trees around them. “I guess spending time with you, talking and stuff, sort of helped me get my mind off of it.”

Sehun nodded slowly, “Then is that how I can help you? By being a distraction?”

She hummed in affirmation, watching her heels pass over the various stone patterns on the walkway. Sehun bit his lip, as his chest constricted. He felt the heat rise to his cheeks, heat he didn’t even know he was capable of possessing.

He had helped her. Even if he didn’t know it, even if he didn’t intend to, he helped her. What’s more, he helped her feel better. Not sick, not weak, not lifeless. He hadn’t even known a thing like him could do something good for a person. He peaked up at her strolling just a couple feet ahead from beneath his lashes. He wanted to do everything for her. He wanted to save her, to ensure the grotesque hands of his kin would never claw out in search of her, to ensure she would never have to take that walk into nothingness. Again, his chest throbbed and he wondered how it was possible for his own emotions to have so much effect on this body. He wondered how it was possible for him to feel this much in the first place. He wondered is perhaps the others like him, those who had also gotten too close, felt the same sensations.

"You know," she looked at him over her shoulder, her lips twitching with a smile, "I really owe you for this."

Before he could stop himself, his fingers wrapped around the delicate bone of her wrist, tugging her to a stop. She turned back, confusion and concern and a spark of something else ridden in her eyes. His head spun and his eyesight grew tainted with small spots and he was sure his corpse was giving out on him when she said his name, and it was only then that he realized the light casting upon her features was not from the Sun. He glanced up, his heart thumping at the sight of the night sky peaking through the gaps of the trees. Her time was coming near and, suddenly, he felt as if he’d only spent a moment with her.

"What’s wrong?" she asked, taking a step closer.

His face burned hot, despite the chill night air as he replied, his voice subdued, “Can you help distract me too?”

She knit her brow and replied, “From what?”

"There’s something I have to do soon," he explained, his voice stiff in an attempt to restrain his quiver, "And I can’t stop thinking about it."

"Well, how can I help distract you?"

He bit his lip, his cheeks growing more crimson by the second. He hesitated for a moment, before mumbling, “Can you just… close your eyes for a minute? And stay still?”

She pressed her lips together, eying him suspiciously before straightening up, her eyelids fluttering shut. Sehun took a step closer, his eyes running over her incessantly, desperately, trying to engrave every scar, every etch on her body into his mind. Her cheeks flushed a vivid hue of pink and he marveled at the beauty, the warmth emanating from her skin, the pure life coursing through her veins. He leaned in closer and, without realizing it, pressed his lip gently upon hers, feeling her shudder with a sharp intake of breath. His fingers traced along her arms, trailing up to her shoulders before one hand finally rested at the nape of her neck, the other reaching up cup her cheek. His lips molded with hers, relishing in the subtly sweet taste of her flesh, pulling away just enough to let her breathe before caressing her lips once more.

Sehun had seen humans kissing before and had never quite understood the action, why it was so addicting, why they enjoyed it so much, until now. He liked it. He liked kissing her. He liked having her close, her body pressing against his, her hands wrapped around his broad torso. He liked hearing her heart beat, pumping life into her body. He liked feeling her soul while it was still a part of her, pushing her closer to him, urging her to return his kisses. It made him feel strangely content. It made him feel almost whole, as if he wasn’t a mere reaper, encased in the hollow corpse of a dead human, but a person all his own; a person with rosy cheeks, and warm fingers, and a thumping heart.

He pulled away gently, still dazed from the intoxicating flavor of her lips. His cheeks flushed as he mumbled an incoherent apology, hesitantly letting her go. She took a staggering step back, her own cheeks flushed a deep garnet as she stammered, “It’s okay.”

He ran a hand through his hair, shoving the tousled locks from his forehead, hoping the wind might cool his skin. She brushed her bangs back into place behind her ear, clearing .

"Do you- uhm- wanna get a drink or-or something?" she stuttered, keeping her eyes cast on the floor.

He hummed absentmindedly, his feet moving of their own accord as she began to make her way down the path. His mind spun with recollections of the kiss, her warm breath against his cheek, her fingers trailing over his collarbones, and that feeling, that unfathomable sensation of being alive. His heart raced at the memory, every atom in his body aching for it again. He thought back to her words from before, the adrenaline rushing through his veins. She was right. Perhaps he did have a choice. Perhaps he wouldn’t have to do this any longer. Perhaps he could be more than a messenger of death. Perhaps, this soul of his, tattered and tainted as it was, could do more than what it was created for. And what was he created for anyways? He was better than the others, the ones who’d gotten too close. He had found another way, another purpose.

As the thoughts ran through his mind, he followed behind her, just a few feet away. She reached the end of the walkway, lingering by the crosswalk. His heart fluttered at the sight of her, cheeks still pink, lips still ruddy, glancing at him for a moment before shyly turning back to face the street. He approached the sidewalk slowly, as she tapped her foot impatiently. One second, two seconds, three, four, five-

The red hand blinked away to the silver figure of a walking man. She took a step onto the crosswalk, turning around once more to see him still a foot away. He looked up to meet her gaze, his fluttering heart dropping to his stomach. His skin grew cold. His lungs contorted and then he realized, this was it. She opened her lips to call his name, the sound of her voice overwhelmed by the deafening truck horn, growing louder and closer by the second. She inhaled sharply, closing her eyes. He reached for her arm, pulling her aside, a trembling, cold breath escaping his lungs as he felt the hard metal collide with his body. In an instant, his world went black.

*************************

The sounds of her screams reached his ears. With all his power, he opened his eyes, just enough to see the blurry silhouette of her body hovering over his, a hand covering , her voice, that beautiful voice that he couldn’t seem to get enough of, shrieking his name between her sobs.

It almost felt as if he were watching himself, observing like a passerby as his corpse pooled with blood and heaved in shattering breaths in the hopes of living a few moments longer. Yet, the pain was all too real, and very much there. He felt the cracks in his bones, the shards of his ribs stabbing mercilessly into his heart, the poor, pathetic thing, beating still, and ever faster, desperately clinging onto its owner.

 This was the punishment for his kind, the ones who had gotten too close. They wouldn’t suffer in hell, surrounded by flames at their flesh for eternity. They wouldn’t be shackled and whipped by their Gods and their Devils for disobeying orders. They wouldn’t be shunned to the emptiness of a purgatory, a blank veil between this world and the next. They would simply die. Their hollow vessels would become their permanent resting place and they would feel, for the first and final time, what their clients had felt so many times before at their own hands. Because the world was very balanced, and all creatures would do their jobs, one way or the other. And as Sehun felt the edges of his soul weaving itself into perpetual harmony with the body of the boy who’d died of emphysema years ago, he felt everything. He felt the tears in his flesh. He felt the scars in his lungs. He felt the metallic blood dripping from his lips. But, despite it all, as his eyes creaked shut, and the sound of her quivering voice screaming his name faded into silence, he couldn’t help but smile. She was right, again, he thought. It really was worth it to save her life.