Chapter: 1

Superman is Back?

Kai kept a remarkably serious face for most of the military discharge ceremony. He's an expert at looking pretentious and soulless. Years of working long restless hours in the business world can do that to you . But as soon as the military formalities ended, Kai's callous demeanour turned tables as he excitedly sprinted towards his awaiting wife with the biggest smile plastered on his face.

"God I missed you so much Hana!" He lifted and bearhugged his wife who he hasn't seen for so long.

"Aigoo people are looking!" Hana laughed, though she couldn't help but notice how much her husband changed. Kai was a lot more darker, probably sunkissed from all the outdoor exercise.His faced was slimmer that you could even see his cheek bones. He was tall and thin as usual, but a bit too lean for her liking. When they embraced, she became worried as she felt his tough body. All muscle, no fat at all. Military time must be that hard.

"Oh my Kai, you need to eat.." Hana frowned as she offered to carry one of Kai's rucksacks."But don't worry, me and mom just cooked a feast at home. You wont fit in your pants again in no time!"

"You worry too much honey, I'll be fine.." Kai smiled

 

 

"So..Um, hows my baby girl?" Kai looked out the car window. The skies were still dark, dominated by dim hues of  grey and navy.

"Oh she's at home.." Hana mumbled, not taking her eyes off the road.She offered to drive this time."Probably sleeping or pestering her grandma. It was too early today so I decided not to bring her."

"Does she know me?" Kai definately felt uncomfortable blurting it out but he couldn't help it. Now that an awkward silence resulted he  kind of regretted saying such words.

"I mention you everyday Kai.." Hana muttered. "But, oh well we'll see.."

"She probably won't.."Kai sighed.

"Well you were never there.." Hana quietly replied.

"Yeah."Kai chuckled weakly. "I'm quite a horrible father.."

"But we love you either way.." she retorted. "..And the way you worked hard to give our daughter such a privilaged life is reasons enough for her to cherish you in the future"

Kai smiled. He could always count on his wife to say the right words. It definately made him feel a tad better. But nevertheless, he was still a bundle of nerves, and the frosty weather and bumpy roads wasn't helping calm his nervous deep thoughts.

 

He vividly remembered the day his wife announced her pregnancy. It was in a crowded and noisy conference hall minutes before a big meeting.He was sleep deprived, months away from home and terribly stressed in meeting with countless investors and businessmen.

"What! I can't hear you!" Kai was shouting over his phone.

"Honey I'm pregnant.." Hana croaked, she was too traumatised herself to raise her voice.

"What! Speak up!" Kai grew irritated as he walked out of the crowded hall.

"Honey...I'm pregnant.."

" For f#ck sake Hana!! Speak the f-"

"IM PREGNANT KAI!!" His wife shrieked before sobbing into tears leaving Kai speechless that he almost dropped his phone.

He stood there for a minute before his coworkers found him.

"Sir, the meeting is starting now.." One of them announced.

"Uh, y-yes, I'll be there.." Kai stuttered before turning to his phone. 

"We'll talk when I come home next week. For now, call your mom and hang in there.."

From then on, his negligence grew from bad to worse.

He blames himself everyday remembering how he wasn't there for her daughters early birth. There he was abroad in China, convincing some company president with a partnership deal over countless strong alcohols. Laughing drunk with the other businessman and callgirls over the sharp clinking of glasses and the karaoke instrumentals. Completely oblivious that in a hospital Hana was screaming in pain as they injected her with anesthesia to prepare for an emergency ceasarean section. 

If it wasn't bad enough, the moments he finally got to see his daughter, his own father, forced him to army conscription. Depriving him of his baby's first words, first anything really.

So, he was pretty sure the words "Who is he?" or "Why is there a stranger in the living room?" will definately come out of her daughters mouth once he makes his grand apprearance. Hana noticed Kai tensing up, and was quick to respond by tenderly holding his hand.

"You worry too much.It'll be ok.."She assured Kai for the umpteenth time.

The car turned downhill and soon markets,boutiques and local eateries were quickly replaced with 2-3 storey houses. It was the rich neighbourhood, owned by people who can afford their own house and plot, regardless of Korea's extremely tiny landmass. It was thanks to Kai and his wifes occupations that they were able to afford such a house.

" Home sweet home, you never changed at all.." Kai smiled as they parked infront. Extremely elated and impatient Kai was the first to exit the car, much to his wifes annoyance. Now she has to take out all of his luggage.

Unlocking and swinging the door open, Kai was suddenly taken aback.

"Everything's changed..." Kai silently chuckled at the sight of his (unintentionally) redecorated house. The shelves where they kept their shoes now included a tiny space for his daughters slippers and sneakers. A stroller stood by the coat room while the stairs and balistrades are sectioned by knee high safety gates. Kai oggled at the state of his living room. What was once his neat and tidy is now cluttered with childrens toys and countless blankets and pillows.

"Yeah, its changed alright....Now why won't you stop standing there and actually help me carry your (huff) heavy bags...God what did you put in here..." Hana panted as she helplessly dragged one of Kai's duffle army bag. 

"Oh God, I'm so sorry I'll help you right away.." Kai shuffled to take the bag of his wofes hands when suddenly, he heard a cry.

"Mama!!"

Kai gulped as he saw his chubby little daughter woddle her way to his direction only to totally freeze up at the site of her dad standing at the door.