Ohana Means Family

Internship to Love

“Get down here, Park Minjun!” You’re going to be late for the bus again. I swear, if the deputy principal pays a visit here again, dad’s going to throttle you when he comes back from China!”

I frowned after hollering to my younger brother who was doing God-knows-what upstairs.

It’s always been like this every morning. Me yelling at the top of my lungs because in some sort of miraculous way, my brother always ends up waking late every single morning, and then eventually starts throwing a teenage fit afterwards about how if you don’t get enough sleep, your skin cells don’t grow properly resulting to pimples and blah blah blah. 

Ha. Talk about teenagers and their needs to look good. Every time I think about it, I always end up smiling because it is quite funny to think how society can make you feel: self-conscious and insecure. Empathise for my brother; he just HAD to be born in an era that needs to cop with how one views oneself.

It still comes as a surprise for me how I had the energy to get out of bed today. I felt so exhausted from last night as I spent the whole night yesterday searching up entertainment companies and applying for internships for being a makeup artist’s assistant. 

All of the entertainment companies that were ACTUALLY hiring people have a certain request that it had to be male. Not that they’re ist to females but they were just cautious. I always end up pouting unconsciously whenever I read the certain requirements. Like,WHY? Either you’re a male or you’d have to be a female that’s in your mid-twenties and up.

At approximately 1:00A.M when I finally decided to call it a day and sleep, I was rudely awoken by my younger brother Minjun, and by younger I mean first year of high school younger.

Apparently someone called my phone number and asked to speak to me so he handed me my phone. 

No surprises why my phone isn’t with me in the first place anyways. Minjun probably took my phone to search the contact lists for more girls to pick up again. Some things just never change. He never learns. I know it probably sounds weird but I guess he couldn’t help it. He has a thing for older girls. I always end up shaking my head with a smile on my face out of pure amusement since the day I found out that he liked older girls. Fat chance he’s going to find any girls on my contacts list though, but he just never knows when to stop. 

Right. The reason why I’m tired today but don’t mind since I’m elated with joy. When I answered my phone call(which I think I did). I honestly didn’t know what I was doing. You probably wouldn’t know too when you’re so sleep-deprived and tired. I picked the phone up from my brother and answered the phone and I guess I could faintly remember that I heard a female’s voice saying that I got accepted and was granted an internship but I couldn’t recall it properly though. 

You know when you really want something to go in a certain way that you start dreaming about it happening? Well, that was my scenario. 

When you’re in between fantasy and reality. I call it Fantality. 

When you’re in Fantality, you just don’t know what’s happening and if it’s true or not and besides when I think about it now. Who calls in the middle of the night when they could’ve simply left a message or email? I mean, people sleep at this hour of the night. But I guess I did what a normal person did: reply with a thank you for whatever the person said, bid them goodnight and get straight back to sleep. Everyone would’ve done that though. When you’re mind is clouded with the thought of snuggling your blanket and fall straight to sleep.

I woke up this morning feeling groggy and grouchy. Don’t tell me that you aren’t like that too, because I know you’re probably lying.

Waking up and facing reality was the hardest thing to do each and every morning. The house is empty besides from the occupiers of Minjun and I. 

My dad is a renowned lawyer. He’s internationally famous. He takes in domestic cases and is based in South Korea but he also tackles the international lawsuits as well, since people from the higher social classes always contact and request for him personally to file their indictment and whatnot. He wins the cases most of the time; by all means actually. 

In a year I probably only get to see him for one week-max and when we do meet, as much as I try my hardest to be happy, I just couldn’t bring myself to genuinely laugh and smile. 

I always had to listen to him constantly about my future career and his constant concerns about my whole school life in general. He wants me to take law and order courses and earn myself a law degree like him. I practically don’t get a say in what I want. 

He’s never a father who would sit down and talk about how my life is going. Other girls would hate their dad asking and nosing about in their life but I would do anything to have my dad at least ask me once what has been happening recently to me. Show signs that he actually cares but I guess that would have to wait…wouldn’t it?

“Oi! You’re spacing out again.” Minjun exclaimed as he reached out his hand to pinch my cheek. 

“YAH!” I huffed while swatting his hand away. 

He chuckled. Sometimes I wonder who’s the older one. It’s absolutely frustrating how he always acts as if he’s the older brother. That little .

“So, today’s your first day as an intern, right?” Minjun questioned while drizzling barbecue sauce on his Frankfurts.

I wrinkled my nose. “You know it’s not going to be a surprise if you die of high cholesterol and diabetes right?” I snatched the barbecue sauce away from him.

“Why do you always do that?” He shakes his head.

“Do what?” I asked him confused.

“Do that. Answer me with another question and not answering mine. Or going off topic and not answer my question.” He munched on his toast with strawberry jam.

“You asked me a question?” I said disinterested while I slurped up my cereal. I closed my eyes and hummed in contentment. This is the way to start the day.

“Is it in relation to my internship?” I asked.

“You’re hopeless.”

“It’s my first day today, and I’m really worried. I don’t want to be stuck with a snobby idol group though. I give you permission to decapitate me before I reach insanity.” I grinned.

Minjun chuckled at me.

“Remind me how we’re related again?” he asked with a sigh.

I stuck my tongue out playfully.

Minjun then reached out and gave me a CD.

“Here…Uh…Mm… I’ve been longing to show someone who would truly enjoy what I made… and genuinely give me feedback and… it would be great if you can give this to that person.” Minjun shyly gave me the CD. 

I eyed him sceptically. Since when did he show signs of genuine sincerity.

“Who do you want me to give this to?” I drank my milk.

“You’re going to work with that person.” Minjun scratched his head.

“It’s the idol group you’re going to help do their makeup.” he mumbled.

And cue; me ungracefully spitting out milk like a park fountain. I can’t believe what my brother just said. Since when was he a fan of K-pop, this hardcore hip hop brother of mine?? And it’s a boy idol group too.

This is just priceless. I couldn’t help myself and started to laugh, my eyes crinkling at the end. This is just way to funny. I cackled for a good 5 minutes before stopping due to the fact that I started to tear up from all the excess laughing. I could develop abs if I keep this up at this rate.

Minjun glared at me before giving out the biggest scowl I ‘d ever seen from him. 

“You know dad wouldn’t be too impress to know that his only son is gay for some eyeliner-wearing boy idol.” I sniggered teasingly. Minjun kicked the leg of my chair. 

“You know I’ll always be supportive of your choice.” I reached over and patted his head. He flicked my arm forcefully.

“I’M NOT GAY FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! How hard is it for you to understand that I simply just want you to give a CD to someone? Geesh. Why are we related?” he retorted angrily.

I raised both my arms up as a surrender sign before raising one eyebrow and giving him a teasing smile. It refreshing to see this bashful side of him. He shoved the CD in my hand before shoving a toast in his mouth and leaving the house.

I smiled at the CD in my hand before cleaning up and checking my inbox to see where I’d officially go to meet my mentor. 

I wonder what company was open-minded to accept me as an intern. I just can’t wait to start.