Dark Reality

Dark Reality

The night was as dark as black, only the moonlight lit the place with its light. Her almond eyes stared into the young man's eyes, yet his eyes were dark and hard to be read. The young lady's feet started to move backwards as the man shifted from his place closer to the lady. He hesitated before his lips parted to ask, "Why can't you believe me?"


She remained silent, still staring at the man but his eyes were desperate for a response. At least to hear her voice he had been longing for was enough to satisfy him. He'd always miss seeing her, holding her and even listening to the sound of her breathing. Before she could reply, the man asked in his deep voice, "Why, Jieun?"


Her fist formed into a ball as she whispered back, a hint of hatred evident in her voice. "You lied." Hundreds of thoughts filled her cluttered and messy mind. She wished to tell him everything on her mind, but she was afraid of bursting into tears in front of him. She didn't expect this to happen, opening her eyes to the painful reality.


His hands were shuddering, trying to hold her hands tightly in his. She stared back at him coldly, face void of any emotions at all. It felt like as if millions of knives were ed into his heart while he read her eyes. He knew things would never be the same after that single, selfish mistake he had should not have done.

 

His lips parted as he uttered softly, "I-i don't know what happened.." She pushed him away as he backed away too. The past started starting her up and as the wounds were still bleeding in his heart, thousands of glass shards were stabbing her altogether. "I nearly died because of you.." she muttered, only for herself to hear. However, his ears were sharp enough to catch what she muttered and he felt the guilt eat him up all over again.
He shook his head and held her arms tightly, desperate to convince her. "No, it wasn't me, my love. I-it's him!" He retorted loudly, in an attempt to defend himself. She was taken back with his sudden words, her eyebrows raised as she stared at him with a disgusted look. "I'm not your wife anymore, Kim Himchan! It's not his fault so stop pushing the blame on him! You've been deceiving me for the past two years!!" She screamed and breathed heavily, gripping in the table when she felt his nails starting to bury into her soft skin.


"It was his fault! Remember that!" His voiced echoed loudly in her ears. Those words hit her hard, as her hand landed on his face on instinct. "Don't you ever say that to him. Not to my Yongguk." She muttered again and stood firmly with hatred burning in her eyes. His right cheek burnt as her palm which was there earlier turned red almost immediately. Despite being slapped, she earned herself a press on both her cheeks, his hands were still shuddering as he pressed it with his right fingers. "Listen to me. Your memories are deceiving you." He said sternly yet in a calm voice, continuing to press her cheeks harder. Lifting her hands to push away his, she her heels and walked away immediately.


A strong grip latched onto her wrist as she was turned around to see him with a begging look, begging for her to come back to him. She brushed off his hand harshly and stomped on his foot with her high heels, hearing a loud groan from him. Before he could pull her closer to him, she grabbed the opportunity to run away from him.

 

She knew that he had locked the main door of their shared house. With that, she ran to their room, looking for the keys. She had no idea what to do, but the main thing screaming in her mind right now was to run for her life. Staying with him would only make her more miserable and imprisoned like a bird, he was not someone worth dying for. The past two years were a big lie. If she continued staying there, it would be her worst nightmare, a living hell. And she will definitely regret, for not escaping her worst nightmare, for not doing anything. For not opening her eyes to the truth.


He groaned loudly again when he lost sight of her. He was known for being stubborn and competitive as he brought his feet to each room, scanning them in search of her. She heard his hurried footsteps, he was running too. She ran out of them room, keys tightly held in her hands. "No no no, I can't let him take me." She whispered, looking around when she knew he was getting nearer and nearer. Seeing the vases, figurines and portraits along the hallway, she pushed them to the floor, breaking everything and not leaving any space to be stepped on before running away. She was away that it would be hard for him pass since he was only wearing socks. He would be crazy if he ran onto it knowing full well what would happen to him. Just to get her back, he would do anything. Even if it meant having his feet bloody and injured. He would keep her by his side.

 

She opened the door with haste using the keys she had found and ran out to where the parked car was waiting outside. "Please.. please.." She whispered again, opening the door to get in and turned the engine in. Her eyes widened when she saw him running out, screaming and calling out her name. His socks was covered in red with blood, he had stepped on the broken glass pieces just to get what belonged to him. He attempted to break the car's window with a rock. Feeling scared, she was already pale as she saw his desperate eyes. Driving away successfully, he broke the driver's car window and reached for her arm, giving her a small scratch.
The memories were all too blurred, so blurred to the point that the only thing she could remember was one particular place, the fountain. Turning left to head to the park, she stepped down hard on the brakes when she reached. Getting out of the car, she ran towards the fountain in the middle of the park, mumbling to herself, "He must be here.." The lady scanned around the place when she was reaching. She did not notice it until she felt something warm on her cheeks, her tears. "Can't I just turn back time.." she whispered softly.


She walked around the fountain and saw a beggar holding a cup. Wiping her tears with the back of her hands, she sat beside him and tried holding his hand. Somehow, it looked familiar to her. He was wearing a raggy hood and torn clothes. "Uhm.. do you want to have some food?" She asked in concern and tried to look at his face but he was busy covering his own face. He stood up and tried to walk away before he fell to his knees. Her eyes widened and she knelt down to check if he was alright. "Are you okay?"


The clouds, unable to take it any longer, started to drop beads of rainwater. As they fell one by one onto them, their clothes started to get wet. She tried to cover him up with her fur coat but he only moved away from her. She was speechless with his harsh action, until she was pulled away by someone to a place, a place near the park.


A loud scream pierced through the silence of the rainy day in the whole city. Neither anyone was able to hear nor were they there to help her, not a single human being. Her lifeless and limpless body covered in a pool of rainwater and blood, lied on the ground. The beggar sat down beside her body with tears rolling down his cheeks, mixing with the rain as it all poured onto the ground. "Why did you cheat on me, my Jieun?"