The Prince of Ira

Destiny

I The Prince of Ira



I was born from the womb of my Korean mother which, apparently, is one of the races that isn't found that much during these times. My father, being the leader of Ira, didn't have time for me, nor for his other five children. I was the youngest of them all. And I was the most hated of them all. But of course, no one really cares in Ira. When you grow up in a place like this, you learn how to take care of yourself.

When I was born, my eyes were dark brown, and my father was looking for the Miracle descendant. The only way you can tell is if their eyes are a pearl sapphire blue. So when seeing me at my birth, my mother explained, he looked at me with a disappointed scowl and left. He treated me just like the rest of his kids. But he treated me the worst. He would hit us all to "discipline" us, but he'd always hurt me the most. I learned that the youngest would be brutally beaten if disobeying him. That's how I got scars.

My father's name is Brutus. You could imagine why.

Everything changed, however, during my tenth birth year. After turning nine, things started to change. Whenever I saw my reflection, I noticed my eyes being a purplish color. And soon, it started becoming blue.

Pearl sapphire blue.

And when he lined up his six children, including myself, for disciplinary lessons a few days after it was fully blue, he looked me straight in the eyes. That's when he started to treat me differently. He treated me nicer, and the second youngest, Bruno, became the victim of beatings.

My older siblings hated me even more after what happened.

The six of us had always tried to get Brutus's attention by doing the most bad things you could think of as a child, but to no avail. So they envied the fact that I was a Miracle, not them. But even when I was already proven to be his new favorite, they still tried to get his attention. Their hatred only grew stronger, especially Bruno's.

Brutus let me train under his wing of "guidance" and helped me learn how to use my powers. I didn't even need to try to get his attention. Yet I still continued doing the things I was raised to do, and I'm not at all proud of them.

But that's where it starts. With me jumping out of the window of a girl I had slept with the night before.

I landed on the dusty ground and quickly got on my feet, staring up at the window while brushing dirt off my black leather jacket and black jeans. The girl's father came to the window and looked down at me, scorning.

"Stay away from my daughter, you rat!" he shouted.

I only smirked and shrugged. "I don't know, man. You're daughter's pretty cute."

"Why, you little—" He threatened to jump out the window himself and get me, but his daughter pulled him back. I snickered.

"Yeah, let yourself be held by back by a girl," I mocked. Before he or she could do anything, I ran off, trying hard to not let any form of guilt surge through me. I'm not so sure if that's what happens with anybody else, but I figured it was because I'm a Miracle. I almost always feel a sense of guilt when committing something wrong. But that's what got me thinking if Brutus ever felt the same.

Should we even be called Miracles anymore?

I walked into the big house and passed my brother, Ichiro. He got more of his features from Brutus instead of his mother, who was Japanese. He had a set of green eyes and golden hair. My siblings looked more Causasian than me. I look more like my mother, having those Asian type of eyes. Or at least that's what Ichiro told me once when I was eight. I didn't even know what that meant.

Ichiro glanced at me with glaring eyes and said in a cold tone, "Father was looking for you."

I shrugged and kept walking without a word. I had just about as much reasons to hate him as much as he did to hat me. Not only did Brutus give me the harder beating, but I was also the weakest from my brothers, so they decided to let out their own anger on me, including Ichiro.

"Respond to your older brother, stupid Cho," he angrily uttered.

My mother's surname is Cho, and I decided to go with that instead of Brutus's last name. She's more important to me and tended to my needs more than Brutus ever will. I turned my head to him. "Respect who I am, Ichiro. I can do things to you that you can't do to me." Before leaving him enraged, I said, "You don't deserve to say my mother's name, you pitiful dog."

He was about to shout some swearing words, but I blocked out the sound by closing the door as I walked into the other hallway. I walked past the women who were my father's servants, or how my mother always called them, "slaves". You didn't have to be a genius to tell Brutus was a disturbing man. He did whatever he wanted to and everyone feared him because of his powers. I didn't exactly want to be the same.

I opened one of the doors in the hall and peeked my head in to see my mother lying down in bed, looking terribly sick. Her skin was pale and she was sweating, but when she saw me, she managed a smile. She always did that.

"Kyuhyun," she called out with a hoarse voice.

I walked over to the bed and pulled a chair closer. After sitting down, I put her hand in mine. "Mom, how are you doing?"

She coughed a little and answered, "I've been the same, sweetheart."

I put on a sad smile. Even as I got older, she always treated me with love and affection—the only kind I've ever known. She was the only woman I respected and loved. And she was the best part of my life so far. But she got very sick and not even Brutus could find a cure. When she got sick, I demanded for something to cure it, and because I hold the Miracle blood, he simply did try, but didn't achieve anything. The least he could do was let her stay in a room in his house. And my powers cannot heal the sick or injured. My powers destroy.

She coughed again and I immediately got the bottle of water on the desk next to the bed. I opened it and let her drink. "You should rest a little more, mom." She nodded slightly as I stood up, not letting go of her feeble hand. I put her hand at her side and kissed my two fingers, then put them on her forehead. "I'll come back later."

I left the room and heaved a sigh after closing the door. I was surprised to see Bruno standing in front of me, his black hair spiked up like his anger towards me and his dark brown eyes glaring at me with hate. I rolled my eyes, annoyed just by seeing it. "What do you want, Bruno?"

"Father is looking for you," he said, just like Ichiro. "He wants you in his office. Now."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I heard," I muttered, shoving past him. "I'll go right now." I walked, hearing Bruno's heavy steps behind me. Bruno's probably the most muscular of us six and he can easily hurt me. Unfortunately for him though, I can easily kill him.

We approached two black doors and opened them before walking in the dark room. The air smelled of smoke and the sound of a machine working enacted in the dark as night room. The lights and I saw Brutus standing near a gun-looking machine with an engineer working in the circuit board.

Now, Ira may be the most cruel place to live in, but we had certain things the other colonies didn't have and that was engineers and technicians. They were able to get electircity working, but these engineers had only learned certain things that their ancestors had taught them. We would get blackouts many times. But Brutus wasn't focusing on things like that.

He found an interest for those who could work with machinary because he wanted to create war-machines. It sounded crazy to many, but he had grown tired of hearing about the Kaliroo and how their land is the most nourishing of all. He wanted to take it, as he had told me.

At first, I wasn't too fond of the idea, but then he said something about finding a cure to my mother's sickness. And I was hooked.

"Kyuhyun, my boy!" Brutus shouted at me. He gestured with his hand for me to come closer. "Put your index finger out."

"What?" I questioned as I walked near the machine. Without another word, he quickly grabbed my wrist and pulled my hand near the machine. I felt a sting on my finger as a needle had pricked it, my blood into the device. "Ah!" The machine grumbled and moaned until finally, a blue light shined in it. I tilted my head and walked to the side of the big gun. "What was that?"

"It's for this," Brutus said with a smirk. He moved the big turret and aimed it at a pre-located target. He pressed a button and a blast of blue energy fired out of the gun and destroyed the target into thousands of tiny bits.

My jaw dropped instantly, and I could tell that Bruno had the same reaction. I closed my mouth and looked at my bloody finger. "So it took the power from my blood..."

"Yes!" Brutus exclaimed. "But that's not all I brought you here for." He walked to me and nodded at his workers to get out of the room. They quickly obeyed with their heads down. I watched as the door closed, Bruno still in the room. I glanced at my father and he looked at me seriously. "I have a task for you." He put his hand on my back as we started walking to a table. I could hear Bruno's footsteps as he followed.

"Kyuhyun, I realized that it doesn't have to be so hard with war-machines and whatnot to take over the land of Kaliroo," he told me, sitting me down. He sat down in front of me. "The leader of Kaliroo has a son, Park Jungsu. This Jungsu kid is the Miracle descendant. So if he's dead, there's no Miracle to take the place as the leader."

I processed what he was saying and I realized what he wanted me to do. "You want me to go to Kaliroo and kill Jungsu?"

He nodded at me. "Besides, you'll get there quickly, get the job done, and have enough time to find a cure for you mother, Kyuhyun. She's going to die if she doesn't have a medicine of some sorts soon. The Kalirians probably have something."

I immediately agreed to doing it as soon as he was finished. If there's any chance to find a cure for my mother's illness, I was going to take it.

—⇔♦⇔—

I stood at the top of the cliff and glanced down at the town, where the lights flickered every now and then, due to our amateur engineers. With my hands in my pockets, I breathed in the cold night air and stared at the pale moon. The stars shined bright that night, I just had to take it all in. And far away from the town, away from my disapproving brothers, away from my power crazy father was all I needed.

I never realized just how crazy he truly was. Of course, I noticed he was disturbing—very disturbing, but to the point where he wants me to kill another man was just insane. And I've hurt many people without a care in the world, or maybe a tiny bit of care. I don't ever recall killing anyone, though. I know I try to seem tough, but if I'm truly honest with myself, I know I'm nothing like my father at all. While he doesn't care if someone's blood is in his hands, I really let my my thoughts get the best of me, or my Miracle side get the best of me. The more I think about it, the more I think I had gotten from my mother. I couldn't have possibly gotten anything useful in life from Brutus, with the exception of self-defense and how to use my powers.

I gazed down at the dusty old buildings of Ira before hearing steps behind me. I reached over and behind my back, grabbing the end of the sword that was in its sheath on my back. The footsteps stopped as I swiftly pulled out the katana and turned to point the sword at the person.

"It's just me!" the woman exclaimed in surprise.

I sighed and out the sword back in its sheath. "Damn it, Sonia, I told you not to do that kind of thing." I turned my back to her, hearing her scoff.

Sonia was a friend of mine growing up. Her mother and my mother were good friends, thus the reason of why we met. Brutus never approved of her, but my mother was the one taking care of me, not him. However, when he found out I'm the Miracle descendant, he took me to live with him and I didn't really see her again much. And that was when I was ten. Then another ten years of my life passed and I met her again down at the pub. It was a nice little reunion, but it would've been longer if she wasn't a worker there.

For the next six years, we had been hanging out whenever we could. Although recently, I've been trying to distance myself away from her because she had confessed of loving me in a way that I didn't feel the same with. Heck, I wasn't sure if I loved her just as a friend. I appreciated her would be correct wording.

And on top of that, love like that never crossed my mind, especially since I grew up in a place like Ira. Marriage, true love—they were a bunch of myths to me.

"So I can't even surprise you with a friendly, 'hey'?" she asked me, a hint of irritation in her voice.

I shrugged a bit. "Not when fathers of girls I slept with are after me." I looked off into the flickering lights of Ira.

"Well then here's a thought: stop sleeping with girls," she retorted.

"I'm going to have to stop anyways," I told her, crossing my arms. "I will be traveling to Kaliroo in a few days to 'take care' of the Miracle descendant over there."

Sonia looked at me, dismayed with the news. "You're going to kill someone?"

"It's what Brutus wants me to do," I immediately answered, turning my back on her again and taking a few steps away.

"And what—you're actually going to follow him?" she inquired loudly, almost about to yell.

I turned my head in a quick motion of anger. "It's not like I want to, okay? I just want to get to Kaliroo and find some cure for my mother's illness, that's it!"

"Then why are you going to kill someone?"

"Because if I come back without the blood of the Miracle descendant in my hands, I'll disappoint Brutus, and he'll do something bad to my mother!" I had fully turned around this time, my eyes full of confusion and rage meeting her eyes filled with disappointment. I sighed softly and put my hands on her shoulders. "You and I both know he is a ruthless man who will stop at nothing to get his way. He will do many horrible things just to get what he wants, even kill an old, helpless woman who can't take care of herself anymore. That's why I'm doing it."

She nodded slowly. "Sure. Okay." She seemed like she didn't know what to say, which contradicts her whole talkative personality.

My hands fell down to my sides as I heard a loud boom coming from the town. Both Sonia and I walked to the edge of the cliff to see smoke coming from a building. A quick flash of blue light appeared before another boom sounded. I knew exactly what machine was causing this. I cursed under my breath and ran down the hill with Sonia following me.

I reached the smoky building in time to see Ichiro holding what seemed to be a gun. It was like a shotgun, but just a bit bigger.

"Ichiro!" I shouted. "What is the meaning of this?"

Ichiro had a sly little grin I wanted to slap off. "Father gave this to me and told me to try it out."

I glanced at the building and realized it the old pub. "But—"

"The bartender refused to give me my drink for free, so I decided to use this bad boy." Ichiro pointed it towards me. "I wonder if it's enough to kill a Miracle."

I glared at him. "You won't have any time to try it out anyways." I reached out my hand and stuck my index finger and middle finger out with my thumb up, making a small little gun out of my hand. My eyes started to glow, the way they would when I used my powers. The veins in my arm I was holding up started glowing from my shoulder, slowly making its way to my hand. Finally, it reached my fingers and blue energy blasted out, destroying the gun and pushing Ichiro to fall on his back.

My eyes stopped glowing and so did my veins as I walked towards my half-brother. "Foolish act done by a stupid person." I looked down at him. "If you want to fight, you should just say so. I'll even make it a bit easier by not using my powers."

His eyes looked up at me, hatred visible in his pupils. "Okay, I want to fight!"

I wasn't ready for when he kicked my leg, causing me to fall down. I grunted and quickly got up the same time he did. He stood in a fighting stance, his hands up and ready to tackle. I put up my own fists and got ready. He stepped with his left foot, throwing his right fist directly to my face. I swiftly evaded the punch by moving a bit to the left. Then I grabbed his wrist that was right next to my ear and jabbed him on the side with my right arm.

He grabbed his side in pain and stepped back away from me a bit. I tried to get the best of that by lifting my leg to kick, but he grabbed my foot and yanked me forward. I staggered towards him without balance and felt his fist meet my face. I stumbled backwards, my vision becoming blurry and my head pounding. But I shook my head, letting my vision recover.

While I was recovering from the blow, he kicked my in the stomach with his knee. I bent over with my hands at my stomach in pain, then took another blow to the face with an uppercut. First, my head went up, then my body flew up after. I fell down on my back. Refusing to give up now, I got up again and threw a punch to his face.

He grabbed my fist and started to twist my arm. He was grinning, thinking he would be victiorious.

But I had panicked a bit and put my two fingers to his jaw, quickly blasting the blue energy through his head, ending his miserable life. It was a trick I learned from Brutus. Ichiro's grip on my fist was gone, and his lifeless body flew to the building and smashed against it. My eyes widened with shock as I stepped over to his pale corpse.

"Ichiro...?"

I knew he wouldn't answer me.

—⇔♦⇔—

Ichiro's body was buried the day after. Surpsingly, yet predictably, Brutus wasn't hurt at all. He didn't care. In fact, he congradulated me. But my four other siblings had glared at me with more hatred than before, if that was even possible. I couldn't care less about them, though. The only one I truly cared about was my mother. And when she heard the news, she was extremely disappointed in me.

It broke my heart to see a tear drop from her eye as she told me that this was not what she wanted from me. I was ashamed too.

Sonia didn't care about Ichiro, but she did care about I felt with what my mother told me, and she comforted me. I was grateful for Sonia. My other friends weren't much of a help. I don't even think I could call them "friends" exactly.

"You were acting pretty stupid!" Kangin, one of them, had said. "Next time, if there even is a next time, you should totally think twice." He said this with his mouth full of soft bread and red meat. I figured thinking twice in life was different when it came to food.

"Well, thanks for the guidance," I told him sarcastically.

Then the twins, Donghae and Eunhyuk, approached us.

"We heard the news," Donghae said, sitting down next to us. "I think it's terrible, what happened."

"Yeah," Eunhyuk agreed. "We think you were acting so stupid."

I groaned aloud and threw my head in my hands. These guys and I are the only Koreans in Ira, other than our parents of course. So it felt pretty much like nature to become friends with each other, since we were all alike in different ways. They're cool most of the time, but they also make me want to pull my hair out. But we're guys. We're stupid and crazy sometimes—or maybe a lot of the time.

"You guys aren't helping!" I shouted.

"Hey, don't blame us," Kangin responded. "At least we don't go around killing family members."

I threatened to punch him by holding up my fist, but Donghae pulled it down. "He was just joking, Kyuhyun, good grief."

"If I was your mother, I'd also be disappointed," Eunhyuk mentioned out of nowhere. He then jumped up and started to run once he saw the look on my face. I chased him, but I let him get away in the end.

Donghae touched my shoulder and I glanced at him. "Aren't you leaving for Kaliroo soon?"

I nodded as I remembered my task again. Kill the Miracle desendant in Kaliroo.

This was my duty as the "prince" of Ira.

    Author's note:

      Brutus is a very disturbing man, isn't he? Guys, just so you know, this is where everyone speaks English. The only traditional Korean things would be names. There will be no using honorifics. No "oppa" or "hyung" or anything like that. And if you don't already know, Miracles can have only one Miracle descendant, aiiight? We cool on that? Good! ^^

credit