Prologue Pt 1

Family First

"" Chanyeol mutters as he checks to see what caused his phone to rumble continuously.    

"What is it?" A girl lying on top of his asks. She'd come over to accompany the first year in his doings. She was 5 years older than him and she wasn't down to commitment.      

"It's my girlfriend." Hes panicking. "Should I pick it up?"

"Of course, what if she's outside your apartment right now. I'd hate to get caught." She rests her chin on his bare chest waiting for him to answer.

"Babe what's up?" He asks.

Amidst the heavy and crowded hustle of the city's main streets is a girl who hides her face and avoids eye contacts with passing pedestrians. Mixed sounds of car horns and chattering adults ready to go home or go far contort and shroud around her soft voice. Fragile fingers grasp the phone near her ear, slightly shaking. 

"Something happened and.. I just need someone to talk to. Can you pick me up?" The girl manages to string together a loud sentence through the stress that she had been feeling in the past hour.

"At this time of day? Where are you?" His voice echoes through the phone.

"In the city, I just.. I just need someone right now, please." She begs trying to hold back her tears.

"Ara, I'm kind of busy studying for the exams coming up. You know I have little time to waste. Could you catch the train back home or?" The girl still lying on top of him smirks and mouths "exams, really?" He shoots her a playful glare.

"I guess I could then." Her heart sinks. "Goodluck for your exams."

"Thanks babe and I'm so sorry you understand right?"

"Yeah, completely... Well.. bye." she struggles to grasp every word that emits from as the muscles near her eyes strain and cups to prevent tears once again.

But she realizes that she can't go home. Knowing what would be awaiting her there. 

"Taxi!" she gets in the vehicle and gives the driver the address.. of her boyfriends place.


She's dropped off right in front of his apartment block. "Thank you". On the 2nd floor she waits outside his room. Not sure whether she should knock or call him first. 

It's too late because when she reaches for the doorknob. The door is already pulled open and she almost stumbles.

A girl that looks like she could be a mother locks direct contact with Ara's eyes. "I am so sorry."

Her mind stops registering for a second but goes back into reality when she sees her boyfriend of 3 years.

"Ara I.. I" he tries to come closer but she backs away as fast as she can and runs like she's being chased. 

He tries to catch up to her "wait! Ara! please!" But she closes the emergency exit door on him, still running as fast as she possibly can. She finds it harder to breathe balancing the short breathes from her defeated state with her running. She reaches the lobby. By now it all has taken over her, a panick attack sends her struggling to find direction. She's near the main reception desk and a receptionist quickly leaves her place to check if she was okay.

"Shhh" she comforts the girl. "Breathe in, breathe out." The girl starts to calm down. "That's good, just keep breathing in and out." She smiles at the girl. "Still in uniform, panic attack... oh." The receptionist interprets the situation right away. "We need to get you home."


When she gets home, she tries her best to make her way up to her room as quickly as possible,. Her parents were still up, which she expected as they wouldn't be resting in this situation. She closes the door behind her and goes straight to her bed, putting her face into a pillow and letting the rest of her tears flow into the sheets.

There's a soft knock at her door before her mum lets herself in. Her mum sits beside her, her hair. 

"I know for one fact, that you couldn't be this distraught even  if you found out your brother and his girlfriend have left to who knows where in the world so, who was it?" 

Her mum points to a photo of Chanyeol on a photo frame sitting on her bedside table and she slowly nods behind the pillow.

"What did he do?" Her mum raises an eyebrow, questioning the extent of his actions. "Does he need a good beating?" She tries to lighten up her daughter but it doesn't work.

"ual harassment?" 

"No"

"Gay?"

"No"

 
"Cheat?"
 
"..."
 
"That son of a-"
 
She ducks her head over her pillow. "It's okay mum, don't worry."
 
"No I have to worry, because it's my daughter and she's still young and she shouldn't be-"
 
"You should be worrying about Kyungsoo, I decided to get into a relationship in the first place, it's my problem." She takes a deep breath and collects her thoughts back.
 
"Honey."
 
"Maybe we can talk about it later mum, for now you have other things to worry about. I just want to be left alone right now." 
 
"Okay, but tell me if you need anything okay darling?" Her mum hugs her, rubbing her back for reassurance.
 
"Thanks, I will" she hugs her back.
 
Her mum leaves the room and there's a pause of silence before she continues to shed the tears that had
pained her for the past few hours.
 
Suddenly, her phone goes off in the text message tune. She thinks "if it's him, I'm not replying" as she reaches for her hand phone. 
 
 
 
Kyungsoo has just sent you a message.