It Started Like Any Other Night

Life of an Assassin

“What a fantastic night,” Himchan said to Jongup, who was lying beside him on the grass, while gazing up at the starry night sky.  The moonlight shone down upon the meadow, leaving everything in a silvery glow.  A light, warm summer breeze flowed through the tall grass.

 “It is.  I could get used to having the night off,” Jongup replied while glancing towards Himchan with a small smile on his face.  Himchan glanced back and gave a smile in return.

 “I wish I could spend every night lying next to you like th-” Himchan began to say before abruptly rushing to his feet and looking at the nearby tree line with a serious, cold stare.

 “What’s the mat-“ Jongup began to say before noticing that Himchan had his hand on his sword hilt.  He quickly clamored to his feet and put his back against Himchans’ while slowing drawing his katana.  “Looks like we don’t get the night off after all.”

 Himchan glanced toward Jongup, “The life of assassins is never quiet for long.”

 The snap of twigs within the tree line began as a large party of soldiers in battle gear emerged out onto the open meadow.  Jongup and Himchan quickly scanned the men that were closing the distance between them whilst still surrounding them.

 “Only 50 this time. I am a little hurt they would send so few,” Jongup said after several moments of silence.

 “At least these are actual soldiers this time and not a band of mercenaries,” Himchan said with a slight chuckle in response.  “Don’t go dying on me, we still have many more nights to spend with each other.”

 Jongup gave a light-hearted chuckle, “I remember saving you last time.”

 “That doesn’t count,” Himchan said hastily back, “You had to deal with less people.”

 “It still counts as one,” Jongup replied while nudging Himchans’ back with his elbow.

 “By order of the King,” a man began to say while stepping out of line with the rest of the soldiers, “Any member of Caer Venom, the notorious assassin clan that has been exterminating local Lords shall be deemed guilty of crimes against the country and sente-“ the high-pitched sound of a sword slicing through armor resounded against the trees as the man fell to the ground lifeless.

 The soldiers saw the silhouette of a man crouched next to the man’s corpse on the ground as Himchan slowly stood and swung his sword to remove the blood from it.  “That was annoying.”

 The expression on the soldiers’ faces changed from horror to rage.  Himchan gave a cold smirk to the men standing not 10 feet from him as both sides charged.

 The sounds of swords clashing and the screams of agony break the past night silence.

 An unknown amount of time passed and the once silvery moonlit meadow was now tainted red.  The two assassins, both not seriously wounded, slowly walked towards each other with a relieved smile on both their faces.  “Glad you didn’t die on me,” Jongup said once they were within a few feet of each other.

 Himchan just continued smiling as they met face to face.  Himchan slowly reached up and put his hand on the back of Jongups’ head.  “I’m glad as well,” he said while slowing pulling Jongups’ head closer to his and finally stopping as their foreheads touch and were locked eye to eye.

 “Let’s go ho-“ Jongup began to say before both men sharply turned around to a very faint yet distinct slow clapping sound coming from within the forest.  Two men, dressed in similar clothing to their own, emerged onto the field, stepping on and over the dead men.

 “I must say I am impressed,” the man on the right said.  “Indeed. Worthy of a challenge,” the man on the right said.  “Before you die, let’s be civil.  My name’s Daehyun,” the man on the right said. “Youngjae,” the man on the left said.

“Himchan.”

“Jongu-” is all he was able to get out before dropping to the ground lifeless with a dagger in his chest.  Himchan didn’t have time to react before he was pushed onto his back, Daehyun pinning him to the ground with a dagger to his throat.

“Accomplished,”  Daehyun said while dragging a now bound Himchan, who was internally screaming and crying about Jongup who was laying in a growing puddle of his blood, into the forest.