Chapter 2-Apples and Raindrops

Under The Rain With You [Multi-Shot]

 

“Jung Ah unni~.”

        “Neh?” Jung Ah replied meekly, raising her gaze from her novel to wherever the voice had called her from; the kitchen.

        “Would you go to the grocery please?” Bekah asked, cupboards closing with a resounding smack and opening with a squeak as she went through what little food was there.

        “For what?”

        “Gee, Jung Ah. The girl asks you to go to a grocery store; it’s a MYSTERY what she could possibly want.” Jooyeon replied smartly from the couch, not even turning to see what annoyed expression Jung Ah would have on her face.

         Jung Ah merely rolled her eyes, “What exactly do you want me to get Bekah?”
         “Hmmm, well the bananas, apples and pears are out, the milk is spoiled, the bread looks like moss, the cereal box is….well, just a box, we have no ramen and the rice is 95% finished. Oh and some candy while you’re at it.” Bekah’s voice called out cutely towards her last statement.

          Jung Ah chuckled, setting down her book and rising out of the chair, turning to glance out of the window behind her.

          Outside of their high rise apartment building gray clouds were whirling into a mix above the city, setting in a slight gloom for the later afternoon. A brisk wind shifted through the atmosphere every now and again, letting whoever outside feel a pleasantly cool chill. A sweater wouldn’t be too much right?

         “You’re lucky I love you or else you would all be starved right now.” Jung Ah said, pulling out a pink sweater from the coat closet, and picking up her keys off of the coffee table. Sliding the sweater over her body and slipping her feet into a pair of sneakers, she prepared to leave until Bekah’s voice drew her back in.

          “Oh and go to the grocery down the street. They’re having sales!”

           Offering a grunt of agreement Jung Ah’s exited the warm apartment, and into the semi-chilly hallway, glad that she was already clad in sweatpants. She trotted towards the elevator and waited until it passed the 8 floors until the ground level, and exited the elevator and the door to the apartment complex, making her way to the closest grocery.

-                                                     -                                                                      -

         20 minutes later, Jung Ah was in warm grocery store, exiting the 7th aisle that housed cereal and moving towards the fruit aisle, whistling a light tune that she had heard on the radio earlier on. She pushed the cart towards the apple stand and let it rest there; weighing two Red Deliciouses in either one of her palms, wondering which one would taste better.

          Once she decided that the apple in her right hand had better form, she placed the one in her left on top of the pyramid of apples.

             Only to have the entire display crash about her feet, red apples rolling in every direction, knocking a 3 year old boy’s ankles. Frantically Jung Ah got on her knees, picking up as many apples as she could with her arms and dumping them over the now-ruined pyramid. When she bent back down and picked up another apple, a warm and slightly calloused hand rested on top of hers. When she trailed her eyes from the person’s hand, to their arm, to their face, she was met with the same auburn haired beauty that she had seen not too many days ago.

            Kahi, that was her name right?, Jung Ah thought, as they both simultaneously rose out of their bending position and stood, both hands still resting lightly over the apple. Jung Ah blushed as she realized the position they were in, although despite being awkward, it felt comfortable. And as usual, before she could speak Kahi beat her to it.

           “Need help?” She asked, a seemingly teasing smile that exploited her gleaming teeth and impeccably gorgeous dimples.

           Jung Ah pouted, glancing around them to notice that there were indeed multiple red apples scattered around the vicinity. Avoiding the question, she in turn asked, ”Are you stalking me ma’am?”

            Kahi chuckled, taking the apple from Jung Ah’s palm and placing it back into the pyramid. “Of course not. It’s just that your thinking face was so….cute.”

            “T-Thank you.”

            “Not a problem. But I’ll think you’ll need a new apple.” Kahi noted, the one that was in Jung Ah’s hand falling from it in the process, and was now dented and oozing apple juices.

            “No, of course not. I would definitely have bought that one.” Jung Ah smiled, suddenly growing bitter at the fact that Jooyeon’s sarcasm seemed to be rubbing off and on her. Kahi looked at Jung Ah for a moment, before breaking out into another wide and dazzling smile.

            “You really are adorable.”
            “I’m 28.”

            “I’m 30, and you’re still adorable.” Kahi said, leaving Jung Ah blushing slightly once more before she grabbed a random group of apples and stuffed them into the grocery’s plastic bag. She placed them into the cart and went for the handlebar, unaware that Kahi had taken her place right beside her. Jung Ah plucked up another apple, and when she turned she could see Kahi standing next to her, smiling as adorably as it seemed she always did.

             “You don’t mind if I tag along do you?” Kahi asked.

             “Um, n-no, not at all.” Jung Ah said without much thought, surprised when Kahi rested both of her hands on top of Jung Ah’s that were on the handlebars as well, giving her a smile and continued pushing the cart.”Is that all you’re getting?”
              “Yes. My roommates are fatties.” Jung Ah grumbled as they both pushed the cart towards the checkout counter.

             “How subtle of you.” Kahi chuckled, as they both found a cashier and parked the cart behind the other sole occupant of the line.

             “Can I ask you something?”

              “You just did.”

              A glare from Jung Ah, that was more cute than threatening, caused Kahi to laugh again.” Yes, you can ask me a question.”

               “Why are you being so…friendly? Even though we just met once.”

                “I’m not usually this friendly. My cousin describes me as a dragon on its period.”

                At this Jung Ah burst out laughing, her eyes curving up into crescents that twinkled under the grocery lighting.”Then why are you being friendly to me?”
                Kahi shrugged, the shoulders of her plaid shirt riding up as she did so, ”I don’t know. Maybe I like you.” She said, pushing the cart ahead as the customer before them was finished.

               Jung Ah was surprised. Surely she had not meant it the way Jung Ah had interpreted it, but it made her flutter on the inside all of the while. Jung Ah shrugged it off, reaching into the cart and taking out the box of cereal and placing it on the moving platform, as Kahi did the same with the small bag of rice.

                “27,588 won.” The chubby cashier said, once both women had piled the groceries onto the platform, had them scanned and had them packed into bags.

                Jung Ah handed him her credit card, waited for the payment transaction to be complete and received a smile, a ‘Have a Good Day’ and her credit card back. As she slid it into her back pocket, she was also surprised when she saw Kahi pile a good portion of the shopping bags into her hands, leaving only two for Jung Ah to carry.  The cashier leaned over to her and whispered,” You have a wonderful girlfriend.”

                “S-S-She’s not my girlfriend.” Jung Ah said, hastily, to which the cashier only continued smiling.

                “Oh. Well, whoever gets her will surely be lucky.” He added, with a wink. Jung Ah smiled nervously, picking up both bags and gesturing to Kahi, who was pushing the cart, that they should exit.

                “What was he talking to you about?” Kahi asked as they walked towards the exit, jealousy not so easily hidden in her voice.

                “Just discounts and such.” As they reached the covered waited area, Jung Ah could already feel the wavering mist of rain carried by wind as it hit her face, the rhythmic pattering being associated with the cars of the parking lot that crashed through the beginning to form puddles. The rain was starting to come down hard, harder than it had the last time. The clouds had already grown darker and the rain was beginning to seep towards her feet.

                 She cursed, ”Why does this always happen when I’m dressed like this? Seriously!”

                 Behind her she heard an all too familiar chuckled, and a click and a whoosh accompanied by it, and she turned to see Kahi who seemed to have procured an umbrella out of nowhere.

                 “It’s fate!” She declared, fixing the bags onto her forearms and grabbing hold of the open umbrella as she walked towards Jung Ah.”May I see you to your car~?” she added, with such a fake manly accent that Jung Ah couldn’t help but laugh.

                 “I walked here.”

                 “Oh. Well then. May I see you to your home~?”

                 “Why would I allow that?” Jung Ah asked, half joking, half serious.

                  “Because I have your groceries…..and an umbrella.”

                  “Fine. You got me with the umbrella.”

                  “So your groceries mean nothing to you?” Kahi, said, faking a gasp, as she and Jung Ah walked underneath the umbrella, into the full power of the pounding rain, thunder erupting from the skies like a lion’s roar.

                   “Yes. Well, except my bananas. No one touches my bananas.”

                    “I have your bananas.”

                    “Well yes, but if I took out my wrath against you for having my bananas, then I’d have to walk alone.” The words slipped out of Jung AH’s mouth before she could even put thought behind, only did Kahi’s smug smile.

                     “So, you enjoy walking with me, eh?”
                     “If I say yes, would that kill this topic?”

                     “Possibly.”

                      “Then, yes.” Another, much louder clap of thunder shook the city, startling Jung Ah into Kahi’s arms, with the older girl’s hand firmly placed around her waist, their shoulders now touching.

                       Kahi said nothing, simply enjoying the feeling of the other girl wet, body placed upon hers. Their steps moved in sync, the shoes squishing against the wet cement road, their faces moist with droplets of water that escaped the umbrella’s protective padding.

                      “So, Kahi-sshi. Umm, you’re a dancer right?” Jung Ah asked, obviously trying to pry away any discomfort that she then felt.

                       “Yes. I hope to become like BoA-sshi one day.” Kahi said, eyes misting over at the thought of her dream coming true. This Jung Ah noticed, and she immediately inferred that Kahi was a goal-oriented person.”What do you do?” Kahi countered.

                       “I…erm…uh…breathe?”

                       “No kidding? I do that too!”

                       “Don’t mock me.” Jung Ah pouted, pressing herself against Kahi’s side to veer her around a corner, secretly wanting an excuse to get closer to her.

                        “But you’re so cute when you pout.”

                        “Do you enjoy calling me cute?”
                        “Do you enjoy breathing?”

                         “Yes.”

                         “Then that’s my answer.” Kahi smiled once again, feeling victorious when Jung Ah absentmindedly rested her head on Kahi’s shoulder.

                          “Are you always this Casanova-ish?”
                          “No. It just came out a burst of thin air. I’m good right?”

                           Jung Ah chuckled,” Sure. Why don’t you tell me more about yourself, so that this conversation won’t just consist of you calling me cute.”
                           “What a letdown. Anyway, there isn’t much to me. I own a dance studio, I wish to become a professional dancer and singer and I like rain.”

                            “No wonder I always see you when it rains.”

                            “It was only twice.”

                            “Call me out, why don’t you.”

                            “Are you sure you don’t sing?” Kahi asked suddenly, being veered to a large brick apartment building that she assumed was Jung Ah’s. They walked towards the steps of the building, wet grass and moistening cement following them with the every step. Kahi walked Jung Ah underneath the covered entrance of the apartment building, where she would be dry from rain, and stepped back.

                             “Why do you ask?”
                             “Your voice is pretty.” Kahi handed her the grocery bags that she had, to which Jung Ah gracefully accepted.

                              “You sure you can handle that?” Kahi joked.

                              “I’m stronger than I look thank you very much.”

                              “Just checking. Well um… see you around?”

                              Jung Ah thought a minute, looked at Kahi’s pouting face, and then decided.

                              “Yeah, you will.”

-                                                                 -                                                              -

                              “FOOD!” Jooyeon and Bekah nearly tackled Jung Ah as she stepped through the threshold, abducting every bag that she had in her arms. Both starving humans ran towards the kitchen, hunger taking over all sense of human mentality as they tore through the bags for food. Jung Ah inspected her body, and once she had assured herself that she had all of her appendages in the right places she followed them to the kitchen.

                              Jooyeon was already chewing on an apple, bringing Jung Ah memories of the few minutes that she had with Kahi, making her smile at the thought.

                             “Jung Ah yah~, what are you smiling about?” Jooyeon said, breaking Jung Ah from her trance to be greeted with a suspicious expression.

                             “What are you talking about, Giblet?” Jung Ah asked, using every bit of self control she had to not stutter at being caught in the act.

                              “You know what I’m talking about. Does it have anything to do with that lady from downstairs?”

                                “H-How do you know about that?!” Jung Ah screeched, where as Jooyeon just shrugged and moved over to Bekah, attempting to steal one of her chocolates, but failing as her hand got slapped away.

                                “There was a package downstairs. When I went to get it, you were out there flirting it up with some hottie.”

                                “I-I-I, W-W-We… THAT WAS NOT FLIRTING!” She defended hastily, not noticing her increasing octaves.

                                “Please. If you hadn’t entered the building, you would have eaten her face.”

                                “Unnie~, is that true?” Bekah piped up, finding this conversation was getting quite interesting.

                                “No, Bekah. Never listen to Jooyeonnie. She has ‘issues’.” Jung Ah retaliated, smirking when Jooyeon made a ‘You die’ gesture.”It was just a friend who lent me her umbrella, that’s all” Jung Ah plucked off a banana and trailed into the living room ,preparing to immerse herself in her book once more.

                                 Once she was out of ear shot, Bekah whispered to Jooyeon, ”Do you really think it’sjust a friend?”

                                 “Not a chance.”

    

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N U GUSTAAAA?

LOL I'm a terrible updater aren't I ):

I'm sorry but, it's hard balancing my messed up love life,with my school work, with my guitar lessons, with community service, with my soccer, with my exams and with my three fanfics. but Hey I tried!        

So I hoped you guys gusta'd and stuff, so I can end this soon and focus on my two other stories

ByeByes~