prologue

the runaways
 
 
 
 
Thunderous footsteps echo outside his bedroom. Thinking it is only his brother throwing a tantrum over something petty, he ignores the disturbing noise and concentrantes on his homework. His bedroom door bursts open. He looks up in annoyance, ready to give his brother a piece of his mind, but his eyes meet his boyfriend's teary ones. Pushing his school materials away, he rushes to his boyfriend's side, enveloping him in a hug. "What happened?" He frowns. "Jaejoongah, why are you crying?"

Seeing how the other is having a hard time responding, he tries to understand and gives him a little more time, rubbing his back comfortingly.

Fifteen minutes later and when both are cuddled up in Yunho's bed, Jaejoong is ready to speak. "I stole something." Yunho stiffens but does not speak. He lets Jaejoong explain. "I-- I passed by a convenience store and walked inside not planning to buy anything, I was just strolling around the aisles when my eyes zoomed in on a magazine." Jaejoong sniffles and buries his face on Yunho's chest wanting to be comforted. "I didn't want it. I know I didn't and I certainly didn't need it but I started feeling so uneasy. I was so restless. I... I had to get it. I know I had to. I couldn't breathe and I just had to do something. No matter how much I wanted to just turn around and leave, I couldn't. Something was holding me back and I don't know what i was, Yunhoyah. I was so scared. Then I grabbed it. When I was sure that no one was looking my way I hid it inside my bag. I instantly felt relieved after that. I could breathe again and I... it felt so good, Yunho." He does not know how to react but he does not push him away. Instead, he pulls him closer. What Jaejoong says next shocks him. "This isn't the first time I did that."

This time, he gently pushes Jaejoong away and asks for an explanation. After he assures the guy that he is not mad and would not leave him, Jaejoong bares his soul.

Apparently, it has been two years since Jaejoong started his habit. It is something he could not control. Everytime he resists the urge, he ends up getting sick. It's something I'm very ashamed of, Jaejoong tells him. Having been together for three years, Yunho thought he already knows Jaejoong inside and out. Rather than feeling betrayed, he tries to understand. He does not judge him. He could not bring himself to do so. There is a reason why Jaejoong kept it from him and he is grateful that his lover trusts him enough to tell him the truth even if it took him quite a long time. It does not matter now. What matters is that he is going to do everything to help Jaejoong and make him feel that they are in this together.

"Does anyone else know?"

Jaejoong shakes his head, face still buried deep in his chest. "Just you."

"The things you take... where do you put them?"

"I put them inside a box. Sometimes I sell them."

"What's the most expensive thing you..." Yunho trails off.

"A diamond ring." He gasps. "It was so, so pretty, Yunhoyah. I had to take it." Yunho nods, holding the slightly trembling boy closer. "Do you hate me now?" Yunho hears him mumble, voice muffled by his shirt.

"No. No baby, of course not. You're my angel. Nothing you do can make me think otherwise. I'm not saying what you're doing is alright, but that won't make me love you less."

What could be possibly wrong with Jaejoong? Yunho asks himself. It must be some kind of a psychological disorder considering how the boy admitted that it's something he's unwilling to do and yet he cannot control the urge.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Jaejoong's soft voice breaks his train of thoughts. He looks at his lover and smiles softly, leaning closer to kiss his tear-stained cheek.

"I think you need professional help, baby." At the mention of help, Jaejoong starts to shake. He clutches on to Yunho's shirt, shaking his head rapidly as he whispers a mantra of no, please don't. Yunho would have panicked, but he knows better. He wraps both arms around Jaejoong and holds him real close. "Okay, love, no help. We are not getting any help, I promise. Calm down. That's right. Breathe in, breathe out... there we go baby, you're doing a great job."

Jaejoong eventually calms down and dozes off.

"Hyung slept over?" asks Yunho's brother when he finds him eating breakfast in the kitchen the next morning.

He nods. "Cereal again?"

"Hmm. Mom still isn't back from her office trip so it's all we got, bro."

Yunho takes a seat across his brother and pours some cereal on his bowl. "Say Changminah, what do you call that kind of thingamajig wherein you steal?"

"Theft?"

"No, . When someone can't control the urge to steal. What's it called again?"

He ignores the scoff directed at him and waits for a reply. "I'm not sure but I think it's kleptomania. Why?"

Satisfied at the answer, he nods and takes a spoonful of his breakfast. "Just wondering."





Jaejoong wakes up at around eleven and volunteers to cook lunch. Yunho browses through a fashion magazine as Jaejoong floats around the kitchen. A smile spreads across his face when Jaejoong pulls his chair away from the table and plants himself on his lap. "Done?" he asks.

"No. Just letting it simmer for a while." The smaller man wraps Yunho's arms around his middle as takes over the magazine flipping. Resting his chin on his lover's shoulder, Yunho watches as Jaejoong's expressions change every time he turns a page. He is simply adorable. Somehow, he still finds it hard to believe that someone like Jaejoong is capable of doing things that he does.

"I want this."

"Huh?" He looks at what Jaejoong is pointing at and frowns. "What do you mean you want that?"

"I want this, Yunho. Hero's rings and bracelets. I'm sure there's more where it came from."

"Jaejoong..."

"I want it, Yunho. Please let me have it." Jaejoong clenches his fists as he stares rather intensely at the rockstar's photo. Those accessories probably cost thousands of dollars, but prices do not matter to him. He just needs to have it, to get a hold of it. He could feel his body burning in need. As he thinks about it, he does not need Yunho's permission. But now that he has told him about his problem, as the most important person in his life, Yunho's opinion is just as important as his own. He will do whatever it takes for his beloved to agree. "You said you wanted to help me."

Yunho is so conflicted. Everything is wrong on so many levels. He is not one to do illegal things, and just the thought of sneaking in a celebrity's house to steal things scares him to no end. But then there is Jaejoong, the person he loves the most. He saw how hard it was for the man to deal with it on his own. Being his boyfriend, it is just right for him to stick with him through thick and thin. "Jaejoong, I..." He sighs. 
He does not want to support him in this and yet he cannot let Jaejoong do it by himself. Whatever happens, happens, and if Jaejoong is going down, he's going down with him. "What do you need me to do?"

Jaejoong's million-dollar smile temporarily washes his worries away. "Find Hero's address for me, please."

His frown is back. They have not even started and he is already failing Jaejoong. "I... I don't know how."

"Google?"

"Exactly. Let me go ask Changmin for that. You continue cooking and I'll talk to my brother."

"I don't want to involve Changmin in this, Yunho."

"Trust me, he would be more than willing to help us." Not waiting for any more response, he heads towards Changmin's room only to have a pillow thrown at his face as soon as he explains the real deal.

"Have you really lost your sanity?! I know you love Jaejoong hyung. Trust me, I do too, just not romantically. But this isn't the help he needs. This is helping him get worse, do you understand that?"

Yunho would cry if he could. His stress level is almost at its peak and he does not know what to do anymore. He could not say no to Jaejoong, afraid that he would do something that would put him in more danger. He knows Changmin is right but this is not about what is right and what is wrong. It is about Jaejoong and helping him in the way he wants to be helped. "I am not asking you to join us when we act out the plan. I just want you to help me find the address. That's it. Changmin, please. I'd beg on my knees if I have to."

It takes Changmin a whole minute to respond and Yunho does not mind the stinging pain on his arm when Changmin punches him for tackling him on the floor for a hug. "I'm only doing this just because I love you both and I don't want you to get in trouble. Count me in your little group as the tracker and lookout."



 

 




a/n: hi. this is loosely based on the bling ring as stated on the foreword. tell me how is it before i continue on with the first chapter >< anyway, i hope you aren't expecting intense action in here bcs i honestly cannot write that. but i would try. or something. oh btw, the summary is subject to change :)