Draw Me

Caterpillars [Haitus]

    The next day, Jongin is dropped off at the day care at the same time is and pulled by a very excited Chanyeol. 


"Hyung, what's happening?" Jongin asked. He could see all the children sitting on the open carpet floor around a man who has a huge book in front of him. 


"Minji's friend is here!" Chanyeol answered, pointing at the man that had all the kids attention. Jongin doesn't see what's so special about him. Did he bring them food? Did he do magic tricks? Excited by the mysterious guy, Jongin let himself get dragged across the day care to where all the kids were seated. 


    Once Jongin could see clearly, what he saw was not what he was expecting. The man was drawing on a big piece of paper, but effectively blocking it with his broad back. Jongin tool a minute to stare in awe at how big the man was, who looked bigger than his dad! 
"Hyung, what's he drawing?" Jongin whispered to Chanyeol.


"Don't know," Chanyeol replied with a shrug. "He came in a while ago and said he was going to draw for us!"


"He's Minji noona's friend? What's his name."


"Yea! Yifan hyung. He's so tall!" the older explaimed. "When I'm older going to be as tall as hyung," Chanyeol said wistfully. Jongin scoffed, and told his hyung to keep wishing because he was going to be taller than both of them. He drank a lot of milk.


    Jongin was interested in what the man was drawing, but as a four-year old, his attention span wasn't always great. He started fidgeting and looking around. All the other kids were concentrated on the drawing man's back, hoping they could catch a glimpse of his creation. It wasn't everyday someone came into the day care, so all their attention was on him. Across from where Jongin and Chanyeol were sitting, Jongin caught glimpses of Kyungsoo, Tao and Sehun. He internally sighed at their distance. His attention turned back to this 'Yifan hyung' who looked like he was finishing up.    

                     
"Alright kids!" the man spoke. Jongin noticed that he talked weirdly. The blonde man was still covering the drawing as he faced the kids. "Are you guys ready to see my masterpiece?" he asked, grinning proudly. He got a bunch of nodding heads and some enthusiastic "Yeaa!"s (Chanyeol was the loudest). The older man slowly moved away, revealing an animal.


"Oohhh," the children chorused. All of them (Jongin included) studied the picture. It was a four-legged animal but no one really sure what it was supposed to be. Nonetheless, they thought it was cool.


"Oppa, is that your cow?" a girl names Sunny questioned, turning her head to the side as though the piece looked more like a cow from that angle. 


"Oppa, you have a cow?" Yoona, the girl sitting beside Sunny, joined in. It got all the other kids excited.


 "Whoa a cow."


 "I want a cow." 


"My grand-daddy has a cow." 


"My mommy says my hyung is a cow." The kids began to discuss on their own. 


"Guys, children!" The artist interrupted their chatter. He waved his hands until he had everyone's attention. "Guys, it's not a cow."


"You don't have a cow?" Sunny asked again.


"No, we're in the city, you can't have cow," he answered.

"I have a cow, it's my brother," a boy piped in. This got the kids riled again, until a chuckling Minji came to her friend's rescue.

"Okay, listen kids, I asked my friend Yifan to draw something important to him today. Tell us what you drew," she said, and everyone was paying attention once again.

"This is my dog, Ace," Yifan replied proudly.

"Is your dog an alien?" Chanyeol added. Jongin gave his hyung a confused stare. "Jeff doesn't look like that," he added. Jongin remembered that Jeff was the name of the older's puppy.               

"My dog is just really cool," Yifan huffed. Chanyeol nodded because that was a legitimate explanation.

"Just like Yifan here, today, you guys are gonna draw as well!" Minji exclaimed. "Your mission is to draw something that is important to you and we can put them up okay?"

"Okay!" the children answered in unison, excited by the new activity.

"Well, there are markers and paper all set out for you. Remember, three people per table." The children quickly left the floor to make way towards the materials. "Don't push!" Minji yelled over the thrilled exchanges between the children. 

        Chanyeol grabbed Jongin by the hand once more and pulled him towards an empty table, making sure that they wouldn't be separated. They secured a table and began talking about what they were going to draw when a confused walked past them.

"Soo!" Chanyeol yelled, waving his hands to get his attention. 

        Kyungsoo, having heard his name, turned around to find Chanyeol guesturing him to come to his table. He wanted to go sit with his hyung, but seeing as Jongin was there too made him a bit hesitant. He had gotten along with Tao and Sehun and was planning on joining them, but he couldn't say no to his over-friendly. So in the end, he decided towards Chanyeol and Jongin. Maybe I could try to make friends with Jongin, for Chanyeol hyung, he thought.

       Jongin, on the other hand, was surprised when he saw the person he was planning avoiding shyly heading towards his table. As he saw the older boy walking with his head down, he didn't look as scary to Jongin as he had on their first meeting. Maybe he is just really shy, Jongin considered. He wouldn't be able to tell Kyungsoo to go find another table because that would be mean, so he decided to just accept it and focus on his drawing. 

       Meanwhile, Chanyeol was mentally patting himself on his shoulders for having started his plan to get the youngers' to get along. His lunch plan may not have worked the other day, but this time the other two will have to speak to each other, Chanyeol himself swore that he would make that happen. 
When Kyungsoo got to the small round table, he sat between the other two boys, but moved closer towards the older. He looked up and caught Jongin's eyes and decided to attempt to smile at him, which the other replied with a shy nod before going back to inspect the colors in the middle of the table. 

"So Kyungsoo," Chanyeol interrupted their brief interaction, "what are you going to draw?"
 

Kyungsoo thought hard about what he wanted to draw, but he couldn't think of anything besides his parents. "What are you drawing hyung?" he asked instead.

"Me? I'm going to draw Jeff!"

"Your puppy?"

Chanyeol nodded, looking for a brown crayon for Jeff's hair. He saw Jongin holding the crayon he wanted.

"Jonginie, pass me the brown," Chanyeol demanded

"But I need it for Taeminie's hair," Jongin murmured.

"You're going to draw your friend?" the older asked curiously. He recalled Jongin mentioning his friend from his neighborhood.

"I'm going to draw me and Taemin at the park," he explained, coloring on his half-drawn picture. Chanyeol hummed in response, forgetting about Kyungoo's unanswered question, and moved along to some greens and reds to draw his backyard while the brown was being used. 

     The sound of crayons on paper played in the background as the children concentrated on their works. However, unnoticed to the engaged kids, Kyungsoo stared at his blank paper with furrowed eyebrows, unsure of what he would draw. He wanted to ask for suggestions from his table mates, but he didn't want to be a distraction. So instead, he continued scraping though his memories for anything interesting he could draw besides his parents (of whom he had over twenty drawings.)


Chanyeol was the first to notice him. He had meant to ask the younger if he'd seen the pink, but instead found the other stewing in confusion.

"Kyungsoo, what's wrong?"he whispered, nudging said boy lightly with his knees. 

Kyungsoo was startled out of his trance and met with a worried Chanyeol. "Nothing," he pouted. Jongin, who had been diligently drawing a slide, looked up picking up on the conversation.

"You haven't drawn anything!" Chanyeol noticed, pulling the blank sheet towards himself to inspect. Kyungsoo tugged it back towards him.

"I don't know what to draw," he mumbled.
"What?" 

"He said he doesn't know what to draw hyung," Jongin helped. Chanyeol let out a small 'ohhhh'.

"You can just draw us Kyung!" Chanyeol offered.

"I can?" Kyungsoo asked.

"Of course, we're your friend and friends are important," the older quipped. "Right Jongin?"

     Jongin was caught of guard when his name popped up, but he recovered and answered, "of course hyung."
Kyungsoo looked at him unsurely. They had been trying to avoid one another. So as reassurance, Jongin gave him a friendly smile and nodded enthusiastically. Kyungsoo's pout curved into a bright smile, that left Jongin thinking, he doesn't seem so scary anymore.

With new-found inspiration, Kyungsoo piled a whole punch of crayons beside him and started to draw. But then something sharp poked his forearm.

"Make my hair yellow, like Yifan hyung's," Chanyeol said.

"Ohh, make mine blue then hyung!" Jongin thrilled.

Kyungsoo giggled and got lost in the clanking of crayon on thin paper and his creativity, feeling slightly lighter.      

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

a/n

School...too much school