Divine

Divine

Being in the K-pop scene wasn’t a walk in the park. And it definitely wasn’t something that you can easily enter and easily exit. It’s an uphill journey towards the top—crawling on your knees, with tears and sweat pouring down your face and blood on your palms. And once you’re there, it becomes a part of you—embedded in your whole being.

K-pop wasn’t something you can easily walk away from…

…especially if you’re part of a group—with members you’ve shared memories with, those who cried with every tear you’ve shed and who felt pain with every drop of blood you bled.

 

~+~
 

“You can’t force me to ‘voluntarily’ leave the group!” Jessica stood her ground, hands clenched into fists.

Kim Youngmin smirked inwardly at the sight of the fierce brunette. It was always refreshing to see an emotion elicited from the so-called Ice Princess. To be able to do that was a skill, per se. He reveled in pleasure of that fact.

He only sat straighter in his seat, meeting Jessica’s gaze head on.

And he waited, taking on the challenge that Jessica had put up wordlessly.

Hearing no response from the mighty CEO of SM Entertainment, Jessica’s shoulder slowly fell—a chink in her armor showed, an even more gratifying gesture for the old man.

Now, that—being able to break down Jessica’s bravado—was pure brilliance.

It was power.

It was authority.

And it was all Kim Youngmin.

Jessica knew that, of course. And she was about ready to throw her pride and plead for some consideration.

“With all due respect, sir,” she began, her voice trembling with fear and anxiety. “I can’t do what you ask of me. SNSD is my life. Please. Don’t do this to me.”

“Do what?” The old man chuckled. “This? This is all you, my dear. You did this to yourself. You asked permission to build your own company, and I allowed you. Now, I’m giving you the chance to do just that.”

“But I never asked to leave the group!!” Tears were pooling on Jessica’s eyelids, but she fought the urge to let them fall.

Not in front of him. Never in front of him.

“Yeah, well… we can’t have everything we want. But you should thank me that I’m not kicking you out of the company—though it was really tempting, at first, with you prancing around with your fashion line and all. I hated that.”

Kim Youngmin snorted as Jessica looked on, holding back her anger.

“You think you could just use SNSD’s name to build up that ty little company of yours? And when you’re all good and successful, then what? You’ll leave SM. And then, it’s chaos once again, with everyone blabbering once again about how I mistreated all my artists and that’s why they leave. Well, guess what? I won’t let that happen.”

“That wasn’t what I was trying to do,” the brunette replied, though part of his statement was true.

She planned to become successful with Blanc, and yes, she planned to leave the hellhole that is SM—but by then, she would be taking all her members with her. They would all break out of SM’s chains and cages… and they would be free, together as 9.

It was a perfect plan… but obviously, not flawless enough.

Kim Youngmin saw right through.

“Stop ting me, dear,” he retorted. “I know you. And I know what you’ve been saying behind my back. I know why you have these business meetings with Tyler Kwon. I have eyes and ears everywhere, Jung. I’m always one step ahead. And I warn you… I can make or break you, or anyone else around you. I own you, all of you! So while I’m still being nice, get out of my sight and obey my orders!”

Jessica gritted her teeth, her nails drawing blood from her palms as she clenched them tight in rage.

She swallowed her pride for a few seconds and bowed slightly at the man.

With a wounded heart, she withdrew from the waging war that Kim Youngmin has started.

He had won this round, this first battle…

 

…but not the war.

 

~+~

 

NOTICE:

As of this moment, Jessica Jung is no longer a member of SNSD. The group will continue on as an 8-member group. In line with this, Jessica will be moving out of SNSD’s dorm. This message is the final words of CEO Kim Youngmin, effective today.

 

 

8 girls received the same message.

They felt devastated, but no one felt the pain more than an eye-smiling girl, whose eyes showed nothing but sadness at that moment.

Was it a joke? A really bad nightmare? It had to be.

Before any of them could react, the front door opened, revealing the girl involved.

“Jessi!” Tiffany sobbed as soon as she saw her, launching herself on to the girl and arms wrapping tightly around her neck.

Jessica didn’t say anything and just held on to Tiffany, trying her hardest to draw some strength to get her through this obstacle.

Past Tiffany’s shoulder, her eyes met Taeyeon’s.

It didn’t work out?

The older girl communicated silently, to which Jessica responded with a single shake of her head.

 

No.

 

~+~

 

“I’m having a nightmare, aren’t I?” Tiffany croaked out as she tightly gripped Jessica’s shirt.

Jessica let out a heavy sigh and just pulled the girl closer, closing the gap between them on the bed.

“Tell me I’m having a bad dream, Jess…”

Jessica wanted to say that it was all going to be fine, but she knew it was from being true. She honestly didn’t know what to say to ease away her pain… but she could assure her one thing.

“It may seem like a bad dream… but in this dream you can’t wake up on, just dream on, love. I’ll be holding you while you sleep through this nightmare. And soon enough, when it’s all over… the moment you wake up, I’d still be here, holding you even tighter than before.” Jessica kissed her forehead, as if to seal the deal.

Tiffany sniffed, trying to stifle her sobs. “I love you, Jessi…”

“And I love you, baby.”

 

 

That’s why I’m doing this. For you. For all of us.

 

~+~
 

“What are you gonna do?”

Jessica stared at the coffee cup that Yuri had prepared for her. She couldn’t focus. Her thoughts were jumbled, and her emotions were haywire.

She could still hear Seohyun crying in her room, now being comforted by the others.

…and Tiffany…

 

Oh gods.

 

It broke Jessica’s heart to see her love crying herself into exhaustion. It was too much to handle. All of it was.

She wasn’t sure of what the future will be for her… for all of them.

But there was one thing she’d make sure of.

“This is not the end,” she said, looking up to meet the weary stares of Taeyeon, Yuri, and Hyoyeon—her strongest comrades. “I won’t let it be. Kim Youngmin may think he’s always one step ahead… but not this time. I’ll beat him in his own game.”

Taeyeon placed a hand on her shoulder, nodding once. “Do what you have to do. I know SONEs will support us all, though thick and thin.”

“We trust you, Sica,” Hyoyeon added.

Jessica nodded back, her resolve complete. “I’ll be gone… but I’ll be back.”

“You better be back, you jerk,” Yuri lightly pushed her shoulder, trying to lighten up the situation. “We don’t want to see a whiny Fany everyday.”

Jessica wistfully smiled, looking into the distance for a moment before turning back to her three buddies. “Take care of her for me.”

“You don’t have to tell us.”

 

~+~

 

The next day…

 

 

“W-We have a problem, s-sir,” a trembling man informed Kim Youngmin.

The CEO frowned, already expecting the worst. “What is it?!”

“You better take a look at this, sir.” With that, the man handed him the printed online article.

Kim Youngmin’s blood boiled with every word he read and he ended up ripping the paper to pieces.

 

DAMN YOU, JUNG!

 

Oh yes, Jessica Jung had outsmarted him.

 

~+~

 

Meanwhile… In a place unknown…

 

 

Jessica was lying down on her bed, staring up at the ceiling, just waiting for everything to unfold.

She felt her phone vibrate, and expecting whom it was from, she opened the message.

 

 

NOTICE:

SNSD’s Jessica Jung’s activities with the group are currently halted (with the release of one album). She is to do solo activities, under the strict management of SM. Meanwhile, the 8 members will continue group activities. Future plans will be decided further on. This is final, effective today.

 

 

SNSD’s Jessica Jung.

 

Seeing that lifted the corners of Jessica’s lips, and a genuine smile appeared. It felt good.

She felt relieved, and her heart felt lighter.

And though her activities with SNSD were halted for the mean time, she had faith.

SNSD was her family, her life, and her love. And it was where she truly belonged.

And with SONEs fighting alongside her and the other members, she believed that everything would be all right in the end.

Yes, the industry wasn’t a walk in the park. The uphill climb was a struggle, and there are times you fall… but if there’s someone who’s always there to help you to stand back up, then all the blood, the sweat, and the tears—it’s all worth it.

All that matters is the people you’re with, the memories, and the indestructible bond you’ve built throughout the years.

And when the wheel finally turns, and you’ve reached the end, it’s okay… because you know you’ll all end the journey together.

 

And that is forever divine.

 

~+~

 

I'm keeping the faith.. and I Prom15e to BEL13VE in Soshibond. OT9 forever.