Happy Birthday!

Surprise!

“A few more steps to the left, ok ok wait, take one back… ah yes, perfect.”

        “What exactly did you say you had to show me again? Better not be another— Oh my God!”

        A large banner, covered in sloppy mediocre drawings, hung across the living room. Streamers and other various decorations line the walls. Balloons littered making it seem as if the carpet was completely gone. And then there was my husband, still frozen where I’d left him standing. Not what I’m guessing he expected to come home from after a long day of work.

        “Oh, Hongbin~” I cooed, not yet done with all the surprises. He looked right at me, trying to cover up the fact that he was nearly in tears by clearing his throat. “Yes, dear?”

        “The fun’s not over yet.” I grinned mischievously, that tell-tale gleam shining in my eyes. And just then, our six-year-old son appeared from thin air, wrapping himself around his father’s legs. “Happy birthday, daddy~!” Then the popper went off, the contained rainbow confetti falling more so on his own head that the floor.

        “Did you- did you two really do all this… for me?” I wasn’t sure why he was asking that, clearly the house was all decked out in birthday décor, and it certainly wasn’t either of ours. I giggled, making him narrow his eyes, as if to emphasize that he would like his question answered.

        “No, Bin, I set up a welcome party for the Tooth Fairy.” I then unceremoniously stuck my tongue out at him, squealing when I nearly tripped as he pulled me close for an embrace. “I love you so, so much.” Hongbin repeatedly pecked my lips, and I doubt he would’ve stopped if not for our son’s whining.

        “Ew, cooties! Mommy and Daddy sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G!”

        “That’s enough, Hyun Bin.” I began to scold him, only to be cut off by another kiss, met with another round of complaints. “Theresh shtill more though,” I mumbled against Hongbin’s lips, rolling my eyes at his proud grin.

        “Lead the way, then,” he pleaded with those dimples, our son’s exact replica appearing as he knew what would be coming next. Leading them both to the kitchen, I showed them what I liked to call “Dessert Sanctuary”. I may have gotten a little carried away with the baking… and the recipe was bigger than I’d realized.

        In addition to about 18 Red Velvet cupcakes we’d end up having to share with friends and family, and keep away from Hyun’s little grabby hands, there was a cake awaiting the birthday boy— err man. Navy and white icing, just the way he likes, with cake some decorations I’d bought to represent his taste: a basketball, a guitar, and of course I had to add a Park Hyo Shin sticker as well.

        My train of thought was interrupted by a chorus of ooh’s and aah’s, coming from both of the males I lived with. “It’s beautiful! Did you make that yourself?” Hongbin asked and I nodded, smirking because I was so proud all the effort was worth it in the end. “It’s pretty just like mommy!” Hyun Bin added, and Hongbin hummed in agreeance, making me blush.

        I quickly grabbed the two number candles, two digits representing how old my husband would now be, until next year comes rolling right along. We ran through the course of the Happy Birthday song in both Korean and English, before Hongbin leaned down to blow out the candles. That didn’t end very well, however, as our son decided it’d be fun to push his face onto the cake. That resulted in big Bin chasing little Bin around the house until he caught up to him and rubbed the chocolate onto his face as well.

        “Now look at the mess you’ve made!” I playfully scolded. “Go wash your faces and THEN we’ll cut the cake.”

        “Yes, mom,” they both sighed and trudged over to the bathroom, most likely getting more water on the floor and sink than their faces by the sounds of it. Moments later, they emerged, Hongbin piggybacking Hyun Bin, and both laughing genuinely.

        “Well the, boys, who’s ready for cake?” “Me!” Both exclaimed, and I couldn’t tell who was happier. Hongbin was given distribution duty, assigning who got what part of the cake and how much. He’d decided he’d eat his own name, whereas Hyun and I got “Happy” and “Birthday” respectively.

        After a nice, long chat, full of humor and stories, the cake was put away and long forgotten after the dishes were cleaned. A few balloons would be heard popping every now and again, and some streamers got knocked over during our heated 3-way “balloon volleyball extreme tournament” to work off that cake. And after the work out? A break, of course!

        As we lay on the couch, watching one of the latest Transformers movies on TV, I heard a soft snoring sound, and found Hyun Bin sound asleep between us. Hongbin carried him to his room upstairs, and we decided a nice nap was in order for us as well after we tucked him in.

        I pulled up the covers and dove under quickly, curling up in the familiar comfort of the blue cotton sheets. Hongbin did the same, wrapping his arms around my waist to pull me so close my nose touched his chest.

        “Hey, Hongbin?”

        “Yeah?”

        “Happy birthday, love.”

        “The fact that you’d go to such lengths for me means the world to me, I hope you know that.”

        “Oh, I know,” I smiled sleepily. “But remember to thank Hyun Bin for the banner though, he drew that himself.”

        “I guess the creative gene runs in the family,” Hongbin muttered happily, then pressing a soft kiss to my forehead.

        The two of us laid in a comfortable silence, each other’s arms around the other’s body, until he started humming a soft melody. But I guess our cat took that as an invitation as she jumped onto the bed, burrowing her way in between us.

        “Ugh, YingYing, I thought you usually slept in Hyun’s room!” Hongbin whined as she used her to try to pry us enough to fit herself.”

        “Guess she wanted to wish you a happy birthday too—wait did you call her YingYing? Isn’t it just Ying?”

        All I could make out in the darkness was a deer-in-the-headlights type of expression, making me chuckle and snort. “Just go to sleep, BinBin~” I teased.

        “I mean, my family had a cat named YangYang so I thought… I’m never gonna live this down, am I?”

        “That’s cute. I’ll be reminding you of this on your next birthday.”

        “Jagiya~” Hongbin’s protests would have to wait until we woke up, because I was already fast asleep in the comfortable warmth of sheets, cat and husband.