one

Aloof
Please log in to read the full chapter

He always see her. She always seem so lost and alone. She didn’t smile much, she didn’t talk much. She always sat at her usual place, at the back of the class, without care of world. While waited for the lecturer to arrived, everyone seems to talk with each other, sharing information, feelings, jokes and just anything random. But she was different. She would usually seen with her review notes or book. If not, she would take a nap. She doesn’t make an effort to be with world. He was curious. At first, he thought that she was pitiful because she was a loner. However, the more he looked at her, the more she looks normal being this way. The silence and her matched quite well. She doesn’t look awkward being by herself.

But he noticed something was missing. He noticed that hopeful feelings radiated from her every time someone tried to talk to her. Her smile and how her eyes twinkled while talking to other people, even for short conversations. She looks pretty, he thought.

He was curious of the quiet girl in the class. .

...... 

She always wanted to befriend someone. But she never had the courage. She doesn’t know how to befriend people. Her classmates were her acquaintances. She only have a few close friends. She was always polite with people, there were no people to be crazy, to be random together. Sometimes, she felt so lonely. ‘How life can be so lonely? Where’s the adventure in life? Why can’t life be more like in books or movies? I just want to talk to someone. Just anyone.”

.......

He was looking at her again. She looks depressed today. Did she has any problem with her studies? Did someone upset her? He thought. I really want to go and talk to her. But what should I talk with her? Will she talk to me? Or will I scare her? And in the end, he just looked from far, his heart ached. ........

Everything has taken its toll on her. She feel so lifeless these days. Studying is never fun anymore. She thought about people a lot. Why people didn’t want to get closer with her? Did she intimidate them? Or is there nothing likeable about her? Maybe she should shut everyone off, she thought. Instead of being hopeful and ended up getting hurt, she want to just ignore everybody. They wont do anything for her either. Since we come and go alone in life, there’s nothing weird to stay all alone like this. If they wont like her, she wont like any of them either.

.......

From that day, the smile and twinkle eyes were long gone from her face. She became so distant and cold. She never greet anyone either. She stayed alone and never look happy. He was worried. What happened? He asked nobody in particular. He wanted to find out. He gathered his courage and walked towards her.

........

“Hey.” She looked up and she saw him. Without even trying to smile, she replied back. “Hey.” 

She continued to read her notes. ‘Just go away, I’m not in the mood to talk with people now.’ she thought. 

“So, how’s your study now? Is it okay?” he asked.

She nodded.

“Is there any problem? Did you find it hard to study?”

She shook her head.

“Are you feeling okay? You don’t look good.”

“Why don’t you leave me alone. I’m trying to study here.” she snapped.

He was surprised by her sudden outburst but he kept his cool. “Okay....well, if you have any problem, you could always talk to me.” he smiled.

Her eyes never leaves her notes but her heart is beating frantically.

When he left, she looked up and saw him walked away. Why? She wondered. Before she could make any assumption, she pushed her feelings quickly. I don’t need anyone, she assured herself.

........

“Hey!” he greeted. This time, she smiled a little. His heart bursts with happiness. ‘At least she responded today.’ he thought.

“How are you today?’ he tried again. He wanted to know more about this girl, he decided.

“I’m good.” she smiled awkwardly but to him it was a pretty sight to see. She was smiling at him. He high-fived himself on his mind.

“That’s good. Well, see you around.”

She nodded. She watched him walking away and she smiled sincerely for the first time in a while.

.......

“Wait!” he screamed for her.

She was walking at hallway, it was time to go home. She stopped on her track and turned around, her face showed she was confused. “Yes?” she asked him when he stopped in front of her, catching his breath from running.

“Where are

Please log in to read the full chapter