1/1

Beauty and the Beast

~



 

Don't go looking for work at the Kim's, they said when he first arrived in town.


That place is a bad place. It's haunted, he heard in the bars and on the streets.


Only three people have ever made it there, someone told him in a hushed voice.


It's because the owner of that place is a monster


Considering all that, the three knocks on the large door felt more like three nails cast in to his coffin.

 


Never had Yunho been one to scare easily, his brave heart and his strict upbringing making him into a fine member of the society. He wasn't one to conform to fears and doubts, yet he couldn't help the eery feeling in his gut.


It's never as bad as they make it out to be, he had thought when walking to the mansion, stopping only when the walls surrounding the place let him go no further. It did seem like a fair warning but Yunho's heart was already set on the goal. If three guys had made it before, he had to work here as well.


He knocked three times, receiving no answer, and then three more, just to make sure. The door was massive, dark and unwelcoming, threatening people into submission, forcing them to face their fears and insecurities. But Yunho's heart was calm, confidence seeping through his every pore. He knocked three times more because he was brave, not stupid, and would leave if not welcomed.


This time there a response came and the door opened, the hinges creaking, giving in and revealing a small opening.


There used to live a boy. He disappeared one day


There's ghosts and spirits wandering the house. Don't go there


The owner is a hideous beast. He must always wear a mask


Voices kept swirling in Yunho's head as he walked through the big garden, quiet and dead as the the walls. There was nothing there except for a single rose bush blooming with thousand red blossoms. Taken by the beauty of them, Yunho stopped to pick one off, it prickling him with its sharp thorns.


Never take anything from that place


The price for stealing is death


You will never get away if you linger too long


Rumors rumors rumors. Yunho's feet were light, every step bringing him closer to his goal.


The closer he went, the bigger the mansion grew, it's windows as tall as a house, the walls cast in all white, a stark contrast to the ugliness hiding it from the public eye.


'Good eve' Yunho was greeted by a beautiful young man standing at the door.


'My name is Xia and I'm the resident gardener here. I'm pleased to see you have taken liking to my roses'


Guilt ridden, Yunho hid the flower away, only to tear a melodic laugher from the young man.


'A rose will bloom as beautiful whether placed in the garden of a king or near a begger's hut. That's the beauty that can be found only in the nature. It's fragile, and hard to preserve once captured'


Yunho apologized sincerely, promising to never pick flowers in this garden again, to which the gardener shook his head.


'Oh, no, that's quite alright. Don't let my scolding stop you from your goal' he smiled, motioning to the open door.


Yunho hurriedly inside but stopped once he entered the hall, the vivid paintings on the walls popping brightly, engulfing him into a living fairytale.


'You like?' a deep voice questioned and, as Yunho turned, he came face to face with another man, older by his looks but as charismatic as the one at the door.


'They are beautiful,' Yunho replied with his honest feelings, his eyes following the delicate patterns leading to yet unknown and undiscovered places.


'I'm glad to hear that' the man nodded, taking Yunho's hands in a handshake.


'I am Micky, the resident butler here. Painting's my hobby so I'm glad you can appreciate the hard work put into creating beauty'


Feeling ease setting back in his heart, Yunho smiled, surprised at how light the hand felt into his own.

'Go on' Micky grinned, pushing him in the direction of a large room.


'Thank you' he replied as he let his feet take him there.


Once inside Yunho called out, his voice reverberating off the walls. The room was dark, the only light coming from the candles placed on a long table filled with sweets and delicacies, and Yunho guessed that this must be the dining hall.


'Anyone?' he called out again but received no answer, his eyes falling on the prepared feast instead. He was feeling quite hungry so he sat down, pulling a plate in front of himself and piling it with what his hands could reach.


'Don't mind if I do' he said to no one as he was finished with the main course and noticed the chocolate cake sitting in the middle. His hand reached to take a piece.


'Does this suit your taste?' a loud voice startled him and this time it was a young tall boy watching him, his eyes sharp as an eagle's.


'I'm sorry, so sorry,' he jumped up, his cheeks burning, shame coloring them deep red, but the boy motioned for him to sit back down.


'It's alright, the master doesn't mind,' he said as he sat down beside him, 'I'm Changmin, by the way,' he took a bite out of a chicken leg, interested more in the food than talking, 'and I help in the kitchen'


'Oh. You made all this?' Yunho gasped, his senses tingling with warmth when he popped a piece of the cake in his mouth. The boy rolled his eyes, finding the whole situation exhausting.


'No, I told you, I just helped out. But it's the hidden beauty of things that make you enjoy them the most and something something yada yada' he yawned, his disinterest showing.


They ate in silence until Yunho couldn't resist asking.


'Should I go on?' he wondered, a feeling of uncertainty setting in his heart.


'You want to? Then do it' the boy shrugged without even looking at him.


Confused and uncomfortable, Yunho stood up, leaving from one dark room to another. He soon found himself wandering the empty halls, the place being cold and unloved. He looked into every crook and corner but nowhere did he see a single living soul.


'Hello?' he called out one time too many, his voice strained and his throat sore, 'I would like to work here?'


Without an answer he wandered on, hall after hall and room after room, all of them engulfing him in their dark glory.


Finally, when his hopes were lost and he thought of turning back, he noticed a faint light coming under one of the doors and hurried towards it.


'Excuse me?' he opened it, excited at the sign of life in the deserted place, but his voice stilled when he was greeted by a lone figure sitting at a table.


'Come inside', the voice beckoned, the owner of it looking up at him.


The man was mysterious indeed, wearing a dark grey hood which hid most of his hair and face, what's left of it being covered by a jeweled mask.


'I hope my servants didn't scare you' he smiled but his eyes were cold and unkind.


'No, not at all' Yunho replied, taking another step inside, unable to tear his eyes from the stranger. What kind of scars was he hiding behind those covers? What kind of a man lived his life locking himself in such dark walls? Yunho felt curious more than he felt scared, and the soft voice felt pleasant to his ears.


'Sit down, please, and tell me what your wish is'


Yunho took the offered chair without hesitation, staring at the hooded figure openly. He had cherry pink lips and long lashes and Yunho felt himself entranced by those distinct features. What kind of a monster was that?


'I wanted to work for you' he said, remembering his original goal. His gaze never left the other's face and, when the cold eyes fell on him, Yunho didn't flinch or look away. The owner looked at him for a long time before reaching out, a hand touching Yunho's face, soft fingertips traveling down his cheek.


'You're brave,' the man's eyes flickered close, a small smile gracing those lips again, 'and beautiful. You can be my personal assistant'

 



~
 

 

There's a lot of paperwork involved, Yunho thought as he stacked the third pack of documents away for today, to manage a ghost house, because he was convinced that this was one.


There was always food on the table, the roses bloomed whether it was cold or warm, and the house was clean like thousand maids went through it every day but he had never seen the butler sweeping, the gardener cutting, or the cook cooking.


'It's the elves' Xia joked when asked about it.


'Or there could be ghosts' Micky added, looking like was thinking about it real hard.


'Or maybe it's all the hired help' Changmin deadpanned, passing the curios company without as much as a glance.


So that's what all the paperwork's about, Yunho realized, laughing at himself for being a fool.
 


~
 


The life in the mansion was calm, the tasks simple, and the only times he saw the owner was at the dining table when he joined him for supper. It was usually just the two of them, the rest always making excuses.

Busy busy busy, they buzzed like a beehive from one to another, scaring Yunho away whenever he talked to them.

Used to the weird antics, he accepted the inevitable and spent his days alone.


'Don't you enjoy my company?' the owner asked him one evening when Yunho was almost finished with the dessert. He looked up at the man, wondering what had prompted him to ask that question.


'It's just that you keep requesting for the others' he continued, his voice now so small and sad it could hardly be heard.

Yunho blinked, feeling that something had changed since the first time they met. Before the man would rarely look at him, barely acknowledging his presence, but lately they had been talking more, even laughing together, and he must have hurt him somehow. The light from the chandelier was shining down on them, illuminating the owner's jeweled mask, making it seem like it was made out of pure diamonds.


Yunho's heart fluttered in excitement and he smiled without meaning to.


'No, I like being with you best' he said, the cold eyes across him lighting up, or maybe it was just him mind playing tricks on him.


'I just didn't want the other to feel left out'


Yunho couldn't quite say what he expected or what he really wanted but, whenever the other was around, he felt happy.


~

 

Days passed and formed into weeks, the weeks piled up into months, and Yunho grew more and more curious. His mind was filled with visions of the masked man, poisoning him with questions he dared not to ask. Did he ever take the mask off? Had anyone seen how he looked like? What kind of scars was he hiding? Were they really that bad?


The man had such beautiful lips and such lovely form that Yunho couldn't imagine himself minding whatever was hidden away.


'Don't do it' Changmin warned him as he passed by.


'Don't do what?' Yunho yelled but in vain, the tall boy never answering his question.


'Patience is virtue' Xia said as he arranged a bouquet of roses, skipping off when Yunho wanted to ask some more.


'You cannot master a skill in a day,' Micky commented while painting a cherry tree on one of the walls, 'just like you cannot gain trust in a short time'


Yunho nodded, painfully obvious of what they all were talking about.


He knew he should be patient and obedient and calm, yet his heart was uneasy and hurting. Weeks passed and every day did he look forward to the evenings, hoping that maybe one day the man would appear without his cloak or his mask but the day never came and never did he catch a glimpse of anyting more than just the tempting lips and the cold eyes.


He dreamed about them during the nights and longed for them during the days.


Finally, one day, Yunho had had enough.


'I'm tired' he said, unable to hide the frustration in his voice as he stood up. The man looked at him in surprise, his lips parting and Yunho lingered, giving him a chance to speak. When all that followed was silence, he walked off.


That night he lay sleepless in his bed, the full moon and his own demons keeping him awake. He tossed and turned, reasoning with himself and then denying his own reasons, until he threw the covers off, deciding to confront the man.


He can't blame me for being curious, Yunho though as he sneaked along the halls, careful not to wake the others up. He stopped only at the desired door, it squeaking in betrayal as he pushed it open. Quickly, he went inside, his heart pulsing in excitement. He looked at the bed where the man was sleeping but with the blinds drawn he couldn't see a thing. His sanity was telling him to leave but his heart urged him to go on and he promised himself he would just take an quick glance and leave. One quick glimpse of what caused him so much suffering without ever hurting him. 


Carefully not to make a sound, Yunho went over to the window, drawing back the heavy curtains, the light from the moon painting the room in heavenly blaze. With his hands trembling he turned around, taking the few steps to the bed.


There, in the pale moonlight, was sleeping a man as beautiful as an angel, his dark hair splayed across the pillow in stark contrast to his white skin. The rosy red lips were the same he'd dreamed about so many times at nights and, before he managed to stop himself, he was leaning down, kissing them gently. The man stirred awake, his eyes opening.


'No!' he yelled and sat up, startling Yunho as he pushed him away, 'Why?' his voice sounded broken as he hid his face behind his palms.


Yunho was lost, his mind a whirlwind, the beautiful being in the bed making him ache like he never had before.


'Why would you do this to me?' the man asked again, this time turning to face him, his eyes cold and angry and as unkind as he had seen them the first time.


Lost in his answers, Yunho reached out but his hand was slapped away.


'But there's no scars on your face' he mumbled, confusion setting in. There was nothing but perfection, nothing but soft pale skin. Why would someone so beautiful be called hideous? Why would he hide away? Why would he build these walls and drive people away?


'Because there never were any' the man answered, shaking his head. The anger was gone but sadness had set in his features instead, his hands falling to where his heart was.


'All my scars are here, Yunho'


Finally realizing what all of them had tried to warn him about, Yunho fell on his knees.


'I'm sorry,' he whispered as he stared at the floor without daring to look up. His entire being was screaming for the other's touch but he reminded still, 'I couldn't resist. I was not patient enough. But don't blame a fool in love for being foolish'


The man was watching him, observing. Yunho could feel the cold eyes on him but he didn't want to see them. The eyes which had warmed toward him, which had given him many smiles, had turned guarded once again.


'I trusted you,' the man said, his voice calm now, 'but you don't know what you have done'


Ashamed, Yunho nodded. He pulled himself up from the floor, taking a step back. He was not wanted here anymore.

Before he left the room, he looked at the man one last time, hoping he would be granted an answer despite not deserving it.


'Can I come back? Sometime? I will if only you let me'


The moon shone over the white sheets and the being inside of them seemed almost eternal, almost like something he shouldn't have been allowed to see. So he waited and waited, unwilling to give up so easily and lose that one last hope that he had. Finally, the man spoke.


'Fine. Come back after a year,' he said, his voice clear and confident, 'if you dare. But for now you must leave not only this house but this town and everyone you know behind. Go and travel and spend everything you have earned, and then, when you have nothing else left, return to me. But if you do then you have to stay with me forever'


On his way back Yunho felt cold and ashamed, the dark walls glaring at him. Everything seemed like a nightmare, his heart aching with unbearable pain. For a year he was forbidden to see what his heart was longing for the most. The three servants were waiting for him at the door, disapproval written all over their faces.


'If only you had waited for a couple more weeks,' Micky sighed, shaking his head.


'I was really rooting for you' Xia pouted, his usually happy face pulled in a frown.


'Moron' Changmin deadpanned, opening the door for him.


Guilty and humbled, Yunho left without looking back.


~

 

He did as the man had told him, leaving the town and going around to see the world. The places he visited were beautiful and the people nice but nothing he saw was ever so breathtaking as that night and nobody he ever met made him feel as happy as the man had.


The autumn grew into winter, winter melted into spring and when red roses were blossoming again Yunho returned.


He always had thought of himself as a confident man but his steps were heavy and his heart was cold. Like an invisible hand, fear was clutching at his heart, leaving him not one moment of peace. What if he was not welcomed back? What if he was not worthy enough?


But the closer he got to the mansion, the lighter his heart became. Huge was his surprised when he didn't see the high walls that had once guarded the place, instead of them the garden was now filled with people and joy and laughter. Roses among roses were blooming as he passed them without ever stopping. He rushed to the house where Xia was already waiting for him at the door.


'May I?' he quietly asked and, only after receiving a nod, did he rush inside. Past the vivid drawings, past the large table filled with foods, past door after door, his heart longing for the one who could set him free. Room after room was filled with light and flowers, the place never having looked more beautiful but everything seemed dark to him without the light he had once seen. He broke into a run as he hurried on, stopping in front of the door where he had lost his heart.


He knocked three times, waiting to receive an answer, before he went inside.


With his eyes fixed on the floor, Yunho stood there.

First there was silence, then sound. Someone moved in front of him and a slender finger slid down his cheek, lifting his chin up.


'Hey' soft brown eyes met his own and they both smiled. The man's face was not obstructed or hidden anymore, the only obstacle being the soft bangs falling over his eyes.


'I was worried you wouldn't come' he laughed, looking at Yunho who now noticed the doubts and the fears and the hesitations written all over the sculpted face.


His own tiredness disappearing, he leaned in, brushing his lips against the pink ones and drawing the light body in his arms.


'How could I not' he whispered, his hands cupping the white cheeks, 'if you were waiting here for me to heal all of your scars'

 

~

 

That evening Yunho spent laughing and sharing stories about his travels among all five of them. His hand was tightly gripping his beautiful lover's, never once letting him go as if fearing he could disappear.


'So I really was not wrong about you' Xia grinned, happily bouncing in his seat.


'You have so much to make up for' Micky added, elbowing Yunho in the side, making both of them blush.


'And to think you don't even know his name...' Changmin rolled his eyes, having enough with these beings and their hopeless flaws.


Now that the angel had found his human, he hoped he could return to the spirit world soon enough.


~


fin

 

 


 

 

a/n: I don't even know. I just wanted to write it.

Also, there will be a prequel explaining a lot of things.