Chapter 5

Accustomed to Fame II: The Years After

"Jinyoung, you didn't black out that night. Just please tell me what I want to know. Is there any chance that kid is yours? He has your eyes; they were the first thing I noticed," you said, eyes filling with tears.

"No, you're right, I'm just really tired and you caught me off guard. Thinking about it, it's kind of ridiculous. There's no way I went that far with Min Hee that night. Baro and Channie stopped us before anything could even happen," Jinyoung said back, in deep thought.

You sighed in relief. "You could have just said that in the first place," you complained. After a long pause, you looked down and said "Forget what I said about it being just a fling. This is an issue that keeps following us everywhere, no matter what we do or how happy we are. I don't think that either of us have fully forgiven you for it, and it's starting to feel like we're never going to get past this," you said gloomily, walking out of the bedroom. 

"Please just tell me what you want me to do," Jinyoung said, running his fingers through his hair in frustration, nearly crying. 

You left the room without saying anything, and that night, the two of you slept separately.

 

The next morning, you woke up early and headed straight for the office, desperately wanting to do anything other than sitting at home and resting, per the doctors' orders. You walked into the building with Mir in mind, because he always knows how to have fun. Instead, you run into Byung Hun (L.Joe), who greets you with a warm hug and smile.

"Oh, hey, Joe!" you said excitedly, hugging him back. "I feel like I haven't seen you since the trip! How is everything?"

"Everything's going pretty well, I mi--I mean, we all miss you here," he said, scratching the back of his head.

"And what about Naeun? I feel like you guys hit it off pretty well during our trip, is that still going on?" Before he could even answer, you continued. "You know what, let's get out of here and catch up!" you said, grabbing his hand and dragging him outside.

Although Byung Hun knew he had a lot of work to do, he followed along happily.

At a nearby restaurant, the two of you had breakfast and he proceeded to update you about his status with Naeun.

"What? Didn't work out? But she's super nice, what happened?" you asked.

"I don't know, I guess she just wasn't really my type," he replied, smiling and watching you stuff your face with food.

"Not your type?" Before you could continue, you noticed him smiling and looking at you. "What? Is there something on my face?" you asked, wiping your mouth with a napkin. 

He snapped out of it. "Huh? N-no, nothing's there," he stuttered. 

"Are you okay?" you asked with concern.

"Yeah, I'm fine," he replied with a smile. Truthfully, he was just happy to see you. Despite how many years it had been, he still felt the same way about you, but he wasn't going to let you know that. Your happiness always came before his own, and he was content knowing that you were happily married, with a baby on the way. "Are things going well with Jinyoung hyung?"

"We can talk about that another time. I'm sure you have a lot of work to do, I'm sorry to drag you away so suddenly. It was so nice to catch up!" you said, finishing up your plate and leaving money on the table. "Come on, I'll walk you back to the building," you said to him.

When the two of you arrived at the building, you spotted Jinyoung's car in the parking lot, while Byung Hun saw his sister, Min Hee exiting the front door. To avoid an awkward situation, he quickly grabbed your hand and started walking with you away from the building. "On second thought, dessert?" he offered.

"At ten in the morning?" You quickly gave it another thought and couldn't refuse. "Your best idea all day," you replied, laughing.

Jinyoung could see both of you from his car, laughing and holding hands. Before he could get upset, he sees Min Hee waving shyly to him from the building door. "," he muttered. However, she only waved and didn't do anything more, and he was thankful. He wasn't prepared to face her again. He took a deep breath and sighed in relief. Too frazzled to think, Jinyoung went to the studio. Music always helped clear his mind.

After a long studio session, his mind still felt muddled but one thing was clear to him, he wanted you to be happy, and his past mistakes are keeping you from being happy. However, he wasn't the old Jinyoung who would just give up whenever things got hard in a relationship. He figured he would talk to you first, so he called you to see where you were, but you didn't answer. He figured you needed space after the argument you had last night, so he decided to go home, make dinner, and wait for you to come home. He came into the house and set his things down on the couch, and immediately after, you ran into his arms, sobbing. He hugged you tight.

"Baby, why didn't you answer my calls?" he asked, cupping your face, which was wet with tears.

You looked up at him. "Jinyoung.." you said weakly. You looked down and cried harder. "I need you to take me to the hospital."