Chapter 4

Accustomed to Fame II: The Years After

"Why can't I do this.." you complained, struggling to button your shirt up as you dressed for work.

"Maybe because you're four months pregant already?" Jinyoung said, getting up to help you. "Do you really have to go to work? I worry about you, you know that? I know that work is important to you and all but-"

You pressed your lips againt his as an attempt to silence him, which proved to be effective. "We talked about this already. I told everyone that I'd take my leave at the five month mark, so please. Just one more month. It's not like I do a lot of physical stuff there anyways. I'll be fine," you smiled and slipped into your pumps.

Disappointed, Jinyoung grabbed your purse and car keys for you. "You sure you don't want me to drive you?"

"I'm fine," you said and patted his shoulder. "See you tonight," you waved.

 

When you arrived to your office, a stack of folders and various papers stood before you, waiting to be taken care of. Confident that you would be able to finish everything before the day ended, you took on the tasks one by one, juggling numerous phone calls in between. About halfway through the workload your vision blurred for a moment, but you ignored it and continued on. You eyed the amount of work that remained untouched. You bit your lip, sighed, and ran your fingers through your hair. You figured a drink of water would be helpful, so you stood up to head for the water cooler but an unfamiliar pain shot through you mid-body, causing you to sit back down quickly clutching your stomach. Immediately you pressed a button on your phone, breathing in and out. Shortly after, Mir came in.

"You called for me?"

"Oppa, I'm having pains right here," you said in between breaths.

"Oh I got you," he said, going towards the water cooler. "Man, but that's normal right? What are they called? Conraptions?"

"Contractions," you said with struggle, still clutching your stomach. "But it's too early for those. Oppa, hospital. Now," you said firmly.

Mir immediately turned around at the remark to your pale face, perspiration dripping down along your temples. Dropping the cup of water, he ran toward you and helped you up while dialing for an ambulance. "It's gonna be okay, just breathe," he said, trying to hide his panic, wishing he could believe his own words.

 

Jinyoung came running into the emergency room just minutes after you arrived with Mir, the worry on his face clearly marked. "What happened?" he asked Mir, but looking at you and grasping your hand.

"She said she was having pain so I took her here but the doctor hasn't said anything so we're still waiting," he responded, scanning the place for the doctor, worried as well.

"You'll be alright.." he said, sliding his hand over your belly. "Both of you." Then to Mir: "Thanks man, I really appreciate it." He reached out to give him a firm handshake.

"No, it's all good. Anything for her," he said in response, giving Jinyoung a nod. 

"Oh," Jinyoung bowed. Mir turned around and saw the stereotypical looking doctor with a stethoscope around his neck and a clipboard in his hands. The doctor bowed to both of them in reciprocal. "How is she, sir? What about the baby?" your husband asked quickly.

"She's fine, they're both fine." Both of the men before you sighed in relief.

"What happened? Why was she like that?" Mir then asked.

"Has she been under any stress lately? Perhaps something related to work?" the doctor inquired.

They all looked toward you. You nodded and let out a soft and guitly "Yes."

"That's what I figured," the doctor continued. "You cannot be under that much stress now. It could be harmful for both you and your baby. From here on out I suggest you take time off from work until the baby is born. Please rest at home."

Hesistant, you replied, "Yes, I understand."

When the doctor left, Jinyoung faced you with his displeased expression. Mir sensed that he no longer needed to be there so he wished you well and excused himself. 

"What did I say? Didn't I tell you to just take your leave already? Why are you so stubborn?" 

You looked down in guilt and remained silent.

He sighed in frustration and disappoitment. "Let's go home," Jinyoung said after some silence. He helped you up and loosely held your hand.

In the car, you broke the ongoing silence. "I'm sorry. I should have listened to you. I'll take my leave right away."

"You know I didn't mean to yell at you right?" he said, keeping his eyes on the road.

You nodded.

"I just really want to make sure that you're okay, you know? If you're not okay then the baby won't be and.." he trailed off, shaking his head.

"I know, you just want the best for us. Thank you."

"I'm glad you know."

 

When you got home, Jinyoung let you get comfortable in bed and told you he would call you once dinner was ready. Once he left the room you grabbed your phone and called your father.

"Dad, hey."

"Oh hey, how are you and your husband?"

"We're good, we're good. But I have to take my leave early, and I just wanted to check back with you on my replacement. You said you had someone in mind?"

"Yeah I do, I can set up a meeting with her if you want."

"No, that's okay. You know I trust your judgement. Please just let her know that she has to start as soon as possible."

"Okay. I'll text you her contact information if you have questions for her."

"Thanks dad, love you. Jinyoung and I will come visit soon."

 

Jinyoung came into the room right after you put your phone down. 

"Who was that?" he asked while fixing his hair in the mirror.

"My dad. I just want to make sure that I'm leaving the company on solid ground," you replied.

"Workaholic," he teased, getting on the bed to lay beside you, allowing you to rest your head on his arm.

"Whatever," you rolled your eyes. "You are too."

"I really am aren't I? I don't even realize it because making music doesn't feel like work to me, but I seriously do it twenty four seven."

Your phone lit up to signal a text message. "This phone number looks familiar," you said as you stared at the contact information your father sent you.

"Who's is it?" Jinyoung asked.

"The person who's going to be in charge at work while I'm gone."

"What's her name?"

"I actually have no idea.. Maybe I should call her to introduce myself," you thought aloud.

"Go ahead and do that. I'm just gonna go check on the stove okay?" 

You punched the digits into your device and clicked call and speakerphone.

"Hello?" said a voice that was all too familiar.

"No way.." you said softly. "Min Hee..?"

"Hey, Mi Hyun.." she responded sheepishly.

"You're my replacement?" you asked.

"I am. I was waiting for you to call. I know I said I wouldn't appear in front of any of you again but your dad reached out to me saying that he needed me while you were gone and so I felt like I owed it to you and Jinyoung to work in your place during such an important time in your life and.. Yeah. Congrats on the marriage, and the baby. I'm happy for you, really."

You decided to set aside all personal feelings for the sake of the company since you knew Min Hee had always been a diligent and talented worker. "Thank you. I'm depending on you for the next few months. Please take care of everything, and if you have questions, you know how to reach me."

"I'll make sure to do my job properly.."

"Alright," you said and hung up.

Jinyoung was already in the room for the last words, clearly shocked. "Was that...?"

"Yeah, turns out that she's the one my dad took in to take care of everything."

"Oh," was all Jinyoung could say.

"Look, it's been what,  four years? It's time to let it go. It was one fling, and I'm not saying that it's okay but we can't be uncomfortable like this each time we talk about her. She's gonna be around for the next few months and communicating with her is going to be necessary now so let's just forget about it."

"Got it," Jinyoung said, unable to look at you.

"Is dinner ready?" you asked.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Let's eat," he replied, his mind flooding with memories from the past.

 

A few weeks later, everything was the same. You rested at home, Jinyoung took care of you, and Min Hee took care of the company, but you couldn't help but take part in the work. That day you asked for Mir to update you with things at the office. He insisted he would come see you in person since he hadn't seen you since the day he took you to the hospital. He never visited you empty handed, and this time he brought herbal tea. Behind him was a small boy whom you paid more attention to than Mir himself.

"Oh my goodness he's so cute! Come in guys!" They stepped in and you sat them in the living room. "He is so precious! He reminds me of Jinyoung. Look at those fox eyes," you said, fawning over the child, pinching his cheeks. "Who's kid is he?"

"Oh this is Min Hee's son.."

"Really..?" You were appalled. "How old are you?" you asked the child, smiling.

The child cutely held up four fingers. Almost simultaneously, Jinyoung came back from work.

 

After Mir left with the boy, you uncomfortably approached Jinyoung. "Hey, honey?"

"Yup?"

"I know I said I wouldn't bring it up anymore, but four years ago.. What exactly happened? Please spare me the details but how far did you go with her?" you said, hesitating every few words.

"Mi Hyun, please, I don't wanna think of that right now, I'm tired. I just want some peace and quiet right now."

"Do you know who's kid that was?" you asked him. "That was Min Hee's. And do you know how old he is? He's four years old Jinyoung."

He suddenly sat up. "I know I drank a lot that night but I don't think I did.."

You put your hand up to your forehead in frustration. "Jinyoung I want to belive that this is all just a coincidence and she found someone else. Please just tell me that you didn't go that far with her," you said with a firm look.

"Mi Hyun I don't remember.." he said nervously.