Chapter 3: Regret

As the Wind Blows Us Apart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 22, 2014...

It had been two days since their argument and all Taec did was to drown himself with alcohol. He did not even bother cleaning his self from facial hair and dirtied clothes. He did not report to work nor got out of the house. Most importantly, he did not even bother stepping beyond that wall and reach for her, console her and tell her how much he loves her and that he was sorry for being such a jerk.

The morning sun was already blinding his eyes yet he did not rise from the bed. It was not until he could hear some commotion outside his unit that made him curious and stand, slowly walking towards the living room. Hearing the rustling noises clearer, he knew that they were coming from Fany’s unit and he grew worried.

He walked out of his unit and all he could see is some people were taking things out of Fany’s apartment. Thinking that the people were robbers, he instantly landed a punch on one of the men’s face and continued landing his fists on the man’s stomach until about four big men pulled him away and tightly gripped on his arms. Still fighting the four men’s strength, he tried escaping to continue his punches at the men. Even if he became skinny in a matter of a month, he was still able to use all the energy he had thinking of protecting that someone.

He was not thinking anything else other than the possibility of Fany being in danger, until the head of the men shouted at him. The moment the bald and quite chubby man looked at Taec straight in the eyes and used a stern voice asking what was he doing to his employees, was only when Taec realized something. The men were all in matching uniforms and he read the name printed on the shirts. “Kang Seoul Movers Company”. And he felt weak in the knees, thinking the worst scenarios.

The older man then apologized for raising his voice and introduced himself. “Annyeong haseyo, I’m Kang HoDong imnida...” the man introduced and handed him a business card. “I don’t know what you are doing exactly, but I would really appreciate it if you let my men work in peace...” he added.

Taec nodded as he took the card and the older man then signalled his men to continue with moving the things. Taec then bowed deeply in apology to the man that he just punched.

“I’m really sorry for punching him... if you want I could pay for the medical fees...”

“No need for that, we’re busy and that punch is considered nothing to us big men...” the older man spoke and was about to turn away when Taec stopped him.

“Can I ask you something then?” Taec spoke hesitantly, afraid of the possible answerto his question. “Why are you moving out her things?” he asked softly, almost inaudible, but Mr. Kang still heard him.

“Miss Hwang hired us... since she’s moving out already... we don’t get involved with our clients’ personal reasons but I think this house brought her bad memories, since she did not look well, compared to when I saw her the moment she moved in... she lost that bright smile of hers...” the man mentioned and Taec’s mind just went blank and his muscles stiffened, and he didn’t even know why his body’s reacting that way.

He stayed in that spot for about a minute, the fact that Fany’s moved out of the apartment still not sinking into his mind, and his face slowly turning pale. He did not even notice that Mr. Kang had left to help his men.

At that moment, footsteps of several people could be heard, yet he was spacing out in front of her unit. Only the moment when a sudden slap landed on his face that he realized how long he had stayed there unmoving.

“What did you do to her?!!!” Jessica yelled at him after giving his cheek a red hand mark.

“Nothing...” he mumbled.

“Yes, you really did nothing... you did nothing to comfort her... nothing to show her you’re sorry... maybe you should just have told her that you hated her on that night, so that she would not have suffered this long...” TaeYeon continued.

“You stupid stupid jerk!!!!” It was SooYoung’s turn to protect her friend as she pounded on Taec’s muscular arm.

“I will never say that... because I love her... so much...” he muttered as he slowly looked at her friends and a tear slowly dripped from his eye.

“And you’re saying that to us? Do you think that could still bring back what you did? Rather, did not do...?” Jessica ranted again.

“Do you even know where she is going?!!!” Sunny shouted at him. And he just shook his head lightly.

“What do you mean? I thought she’s moved in with you girls?” he uttered with shock.

TaeYeon scoffed and glared at Taec. “She called us earlier this morning... and she bade us goodbye on the message she left on our voice mails... she didn’t even say where she was going or when she’s coming back...”

“Did she even call you?” Sunny asked and he shook his seemingly heavy head slowly.

At that moment, his legs weakened and he dropped to the floor. The girls were shocked at what happened, as it was the first time they’ve seen a big man lose all his energy from four women’s nagging. Just at that time, Khun reached the floor and saw his friend on the floor, on his knees.

“Yah! What happened to you TaecYeon-ah!” he ran to his side and dropped a plastic bag of take outs. He had been Taec’s caretaker, bringing him food since the man refused to come out of the house or even lift a finger.

“She’s gone... she left me... for real...” Taec softly spoke, that only Khun was able to understand his mumbles, before he fainted. The people panicked and quickly brought him to the hospital.

When he was brought to the hospital, he was injected with dextrose as the doctor diagnosed that he was just suffering from malnutrition and emotional instability. It has been weeks that he had not eaten the right food, always filling himself with sodium rich instant and junk food and alcohol. He was also suffering from mental and emotional stress after what had happened over a month ago.

Although the girls felt a little guilty for bringing him to the edge of his emotions, they still thought that it was just fair as Taec had brought Fany some emotional stress too. It was already night time when he woke from his slumber, arm still trapped by the IV drip, with his blurry eyes recognizing the thick black hair of his friend Chan.

He did not wake his friend up even if he was quite thirsty and spent some time staring at the ceiling. He thought deeply on how he had harshly treated Fany the past month, even if it was not her fault. He knew days ago that he had done wrong, but he chose to cool the tension between them, thinking that Fany would always stay by his side and he would just apologize to her when he had calmed and cleared his mind.

It was only that moment that he realized that there are things that could be waited and things that should be acted upon in an instant. And the instance of a woman slipping from your fingertips is one thing that should be acted on immediately. He should have not waited. He should have stepped into her room and hugged her like they would not be separated forever. He should have told her he was sorry and that he does not blame her anymore.

Unconsciously, tears started dripping from the corners of his eyes as he thought more of the moments he had taken her for granted. He closed his eyes tightly and all he could think about was the woman who got away, until he fell back to his sleep.

The day after, he was ready to be discharged and all his friends went to pick him up. They have cleaned his apartment to welcome him afresh and Khun was able to dig up something of Taec’s possession in between the sofa cushions when they were cleaning.

There was a voicemail left on his phone and he feared what the message was when he saw the caller ID. It was from Fany and his heart was beating like crazy, nervous as hell on what message Fany had left him. He excused himself to the washroom, and with trembling hands and dried throat, he listened to his voice mail.

“Oppa, it’s me... I hope you still remember my voice... with all the days we’ve not really talked with each other... with me talking and you not listening, I would understand if you’d forgotten my voice... anyways, oppa... I just called to say goodbye... I’m going to search for something else... so I’d be away for quite some time... and please don’t make yourself suffer for this... I know that you did not want this to happen either... Things just happen by fate, and we can’t avoid it...” he listened to his voice and shook his head a little, showing his disagreement for what she was saying.

“... we did love each other, but to me things are not like before... I’m growing tired... I wanna be happy... so just erase me from your life... don’t look for me... just let me see you when I’m ready... and let’s stay friends... shall we? I promise you that I’d be okay... and lastly, thank you oppa, for making me happy for the past year...” she continued and he just felt his chest tighten once again. He grabbed his head tight and screamed as he broke in tears.

“Why are you such a moron, Ok TaecYeon!!!” he screamed at himself and his friends outside the washroom could hear him.

They silently listened to his sobbing voice as they all felt bad for the man. It was a scene very new to his friends as he always portrayed the calm man he is, even when his parents divorced, his dad died and at the funeral of his son.

It was a sunny day when our love started
We were so happy, I loved you so much
Now it’s over, everything is over, my heart hurts so much
I don’t know what to do, I still can’t get over you

October 23, 2014...

A month pass and all he did is to remember every moment he had with her even though he tries his best to forget her. One day, he decides to go back to work, hoping that it could at least get his mind off her, but the moment he passed by her unit, memories of the first day he saw her flowed into his mind. The smiled she had on her face, the way his heart pounded and almost stopped. How at that moment, he wanted to be in that room, imagining that he was a couple with her moving into a new home. How he wanted to hug her in his arms even if he did not know her name yet, even if it was just ten seconds that he had seen her.

You’ll regret this, I will forget you, even if I’m like a fool, I will forget you
I get determined and promise myself even though I can’t forget our love
Even though I will think of you again

November 12, 2014...

There were also moments that he remembers how they got close when he went for his morning work-out and passed by the yoga room. Things were made worse for him when he passed by her yoga students by the elevator and they asked why Fany suddenly left. They even if Fany stopped teaching because she was already pregnant and it was not convenient for her.

They also mentioned that before she left the gym permanently, she was less bright than th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter