The start of Il Hwa Young as a postwoman.

Letters to Jersey 99

Hwayoung stares at her friend who is blinking her eyes rapidly. She scoffs and shakes her head. “No, I will not and forever will not do that.” She says and her friend huff. Hwayoung sighs and turns to her.

“Soo Young, you have to do this on your own. You like him, so you have to do it by yourself.” She says and Soo Young pout. She faces her and juts her bottom lips, hands clasp, and eyelashes flutter rapidly.

“Please…” she pleads. Hwayoung groans and shakes her head.

“I will treat you a dubokki tomorrow.” She offer and Hwayoung give her a death glare. Soo Young cheekily smile and rummage her bag, searching something. She grabs a letter and handed it to Hwayoung. She takes it slowly, and Soo Young grab her wrist immediately and put it on her palm. Hwayoung sighs and shakes her head.

“You have to give this to that boy,” Soo Young said and points her finger to the two boys who are sitting on the grass. Both are eating ramen greedily, and Hwayoung scrunch her face in disgust. Hwayoung trails her eyes to a boy who is wearing a jersey number 99. Hwayoung frowns.

“99?” she asks and Soo Young nod.

“You mean I have to give this to that 99 boy?” she said and Soo Young nod eagerly. Hwayoung shakes her head again for umpteenth time.

“I hate you, you know?” Hwayoung muttered. Soo Young merrily laugh and hug her. “Of course, I love you.” She said and makes a kissy face. Hwayoung scowl and tried to yank her arms, but then Soo Young tickle her side and she laugh while trying to push her hands away.

“Soo Young!” she exclaims and laughs aloud. They both did not realize that they have drawn an attention to the boys, and when they realized it, they immediately scurried away from school’s backyard and go to God knows where.

Both of the boys look at each other and shrug. They continue eating like nothing has happened. Minseok looks at his friend who is slurping the noodle, and he just shakes his head.

“Yah, you said that you want to have a diet. But look at you.” He said and trails his eyes from his head to toe and hiss. The other swallows his noodle first and frowns at him. “What?” he asks dumbly and Minseok just shake his head.

“Nothing.”

The other just smirks and continues eating his ramen. Minseok glance at him and stop eating again.

“Yah, Jongdae. Give me back my jersey.” He says and held out his arm. Jongdae’s mouth forms an ‘O’ and he grin. He slides the jersey from his body and handed it to Minseok. Minseok glare at him. “I can’t believe someone said that today the weather is cold when it’s freaking summer right now.” He muttered and Jongdae gave him a death glare. Minseok laugh and continue eating like nothing has happened.

•••

Minseok climbs the stairs carefully while thinking about how he want to sneak out from his house tonight when suddenly he saw a pair of feet in front of him. He stops and frowns and raises his head to look at someone. When he saw the face, he gapes and stares at it for a while. They stare at each other for a moment when suddenly the girl grab his jersey and pull him into her. He inwardly gaps when she do that. His face hit her shoulder softly and he could smell something fresh and sweet like a cinnamon. She must use that flavor for her shampoo. He thought.

Hwayoung shoves him back when she saw the number ‘99’ written on the back of the jersey. She sighs in relief and shoves him the letter that she hides behind her. Minseok frown and look at Hwayoung who just gave him a look.

“This is for you.” She muttered and he slowly takes the letter, unsure whether to open it in front of her or not. Hwayoung looks at him from head to toe and sighs heavily.

“What is so special about you?” she mumbles and Minseok stare at her.

“Soo Young always talks about you.” She said again and sighs while shaking her head. “Soo Young really has a bad taste when picking up a guy.” She muttered and Minseok could feel his pride hurt. He wants to snap back at her, but he feels tongue-tied.

Hwayoung stares at him and narrows her eyes. “Don’t forget to read it.” She said while pointing a finger. She turn back and start to walk when suddenly she realize something. She turns her head back to look at him and frown.

“Did you just shrink?” she asks and Minseok look at her, confuse. She just shakes her head and walk away, leaving Minseok wondering about what was happening just now.