∞ 02 ∞

Promise

“J-jongdae?” Hayeon choked out, “What happened?”

Jongdae merely gave her a weak shake of his head.

Even though the heavens had begun to pour masses after masses of water down onto earth again, Hayeon could tell that it was tears that were threatening to fall from his tired, hurt eyes.

“You shouldn’t be out here in this weather, Jongdae oppa. I think it’s time for you to go home.” 

At the mention of home, Jongdae’s whole body tensed and he shook his again.

“Is it — did — did something happen with your family?” Hayeon asked tentatively. 

The sight of Jongdae lowering his head again was all of the confirmation Hayeon needed. Not caring the slightest about the rain any longer, she put her bag of groceries onto the ground. Moving closer to Jongdae’s vulnerable figure, she gently grabbed his face with both of her hands. While Jongdae flushed at their close proximity, Hayeon only paid attention to his bruised cheek.

After a moment of examining his face, she stepped back and moved to pick up her bag.

“Please don’t leave me,” Jongdae blurted out in a desperate tone. Hayeon’s heart broke even more for the boy in front of her.

“That’s not going to happen, Jongdae oppa,” Hayeon spoke gently, “Come on, let’s go.”

“G-go where?”

“I’m not going to let you sit in the freezing cold rain. You’re coming home with me,” she stated firmly, before reaching out to take one of his hands. Hayeon met Jongdae’s surprised face with a reassuring smile and gave a small tug on his hand. The warmth from Hayeon small, smooth hand made Jongdae feel a sense of security. Something he hadn’t felt in a long time. 

 


 

Hayeon was perched comfortably on the edge of her bed, happy to be out of sopping wet clothes. As her gaze followed the raindrops sliding down her window pane, she lazily dried her hair. A quiet knocking on her door interrupted her thoughts and she turned to see a now relatively dry Jongdae standing there.

“At times like this, I’m grateful that my older brother leaves some stuff lying around after his visits,” Hayeon said after noting the black tracksuit pants and red jumper that Jongdae was now wearing was almost the perfect fit.

“Come sit, oppa. Let me take a better look at your bruises and cuts.”

She gently took hold of his chin and re-examined his face, before getting up and walking into the bathroom that was adjacent to her bedroom. Mere seconds had passes before she entered her bedroom once again with the sufficient material to treat his wounds. Hayeon sat down in front of Jongdae and carefully began bandaging him up. 

“Do… you live alone?” Jongdae asked, trying to make conversation.

Hayeon was pleasantly surprised, “Uh, yeah. My parents are back in the countryside while my brother and I stayed in Seoul for our studies.”

“I never knew you had an older brother.”

“That’s because we’ve never talked enough for you to find out!” Hayeon chuckled lightly. When Jongdae averted his eyes, panicked thoughts ran through her head: “Did I say something wrong?”

“I guess… I- I just don’t like talking that much. Sorry,” Jongdae mumbled.

Hayeon’s already large eyes grew larger and she waved her arms frantically, “No no no! There’s nothing for you to be sorry about! It’s perfectly fine if you don’t like talking a lot. Honestly… if I was going through the same situation you were going through I don’t think I would want to talk much either,” she trailed off, casting her eyes downwards.

“I’m really grateful you know, that even though I know I don’t give much response, you still make attempts to talk to me. Even though we barely know each other enough for you to call me oppa, you’re still brought me home with you. Even though I’ve barely told you anything, you still try to understand me…” Jongdae spoke softly.

“It’s nothing. We’re classmates and even though we don’t talk much you’re still a friend. I’m just happy I can help,” Hayeon replied bashfully.

There was a silence as the two sat awkwardly facing each other after Hayeon was done. 

“I - I know that I’m not really in a place to ask,” Hayeon began, “But, do you want to tell me what happened…?”

Jongdae’s head tilted down as he mumbled, “It’s nothing.”

“I don’t mind if I’m not the person that you tell, but please don’t keep lying and saying that you’re fine,” Hayeon pleaded, “Talk to someone, oppa. It’ll make you feel better.”

“I would… but it’s just…,” Jongdae trailed off.

“It’s just?”

“No one cares! No one cares, Hayeon. I’m alone in this hell.” 

Hayeon was stunned at, not only at Jongdae’s sudden outburst, but at the fact that the young man in front of her, who was usually void of all emotions, had broken down into tears. She slid forwards and gathered his hunched up form in her arms, soothingly rubbing his back.

“That’s not true, oppa. I care. And I’m someone, right?” she said in a hushed tone, “It’s okay, I’ll be here for you, you won’t have to feel alone anymore. Just let it all out, Jongdae oppa, let it all out.” 

Hayeon’s words were like a hammer, breaking down the protective walls that Jongdae had encased himself in. As his body started to shake with his quiet, yet heartbreaking sobs, Hayeon simply tightened her arms that circled him. Jongdae’s hands gripped the back of her shirt and his head was buried in her shoulder as his cries accompanied the harsh pattering of raindrops against Hayeon’s window pane. 

 


 

“I’m sorry,” Jongdae whispered with his forehead still against Hayeon’s shoulder. Out of shock she pulled back. 

“For what?”

“All I’ve been is a burden,” a forced chuckle came with his reply. Seeing Hayeon’s head to the side in confusion he explained, “You became drenched in the rain because you stopped for me, you had to take me home with you and what did I do then? I spent a good fifteen minutes crying on your shoulder. “

“Aigoo, Jongdae oppa, lets clear up some things, shall we. Regardless of whether I had stopped for you or not, I was already drenched. I chose to bring you back to my place, it isn’t like you forced me to,” she countered. “I told you that I would be here for you, and if that means I have to console a big baby for fifteen minutes, then that’s what I’ll do,” Hayeon threw in a weak attempt of a joke to try and lighten up the mood. 

Her joking tone changed into a serious one as their eyes met, “I meant it, oppa, when I said that I’ll be here for you. You really don’t have to be alone anymore.”

“That’s what everyone says, but after a while I find myself alone again. Always,” Jongdae let out a shaky laugh as he ran a hand through his hair.

Silence fell upon them after Jongdae’s last words. He sat there playing with his hands while staring a hole into her bed, not knowing what thoughts his words brought to her.

“Promise me — ,“ she started.

His head snapped up when he heard those words, “Promise you wha—“

“Promise me that you’ll let me in. That you won’t brush me off when I ask what’s wrong,” Hayeon said.

Jongdae let out a weary sigh, “Ha—“

“No. Let me finish,” she insisted, “Promise me that, oppa. And I’ll promise that I will always be here for you, no matter what. I don’t make promises easily, and those that I do make, I intend to keep.”

“I don’t deserve someone like you,” Jongdae let out a shaky laugh as he ran a hand through his hair.

Promise me, Kim Jongdae.”

Jongdae’s brain told him that this would just end up like every other time someone proclaimed that they would be there for him. And that made him reluctant to make such a promise, as he was not a person who took promises lightly either. His heart told him that this time would be different, though. That Hayeon wouldn’t leave him, and as he stared at the girl in front him who looked so adamant, he slowly became more convinced that she would always be there.

“Don’t make me regret this decision, Lee Hayeon,” these silent words never left his mouth, they were replaced by two that made Hayeon show her breath-taking smile.

 

I promise.” 

 


 

PLEASE TAKE A FEW MOMENTS TO READ THIS!

Sorry for taking this long to update, but this will be my final chapter! (Sorry for this chapter being a rather short one too)

First of all, I want to say thank you so much to eermaa who subscribed to my story~ (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Also, thank you to everyone who read this story. As this is my first one, I hope that you'll understand if it isn't the best quality. I know there is plenty that I need to improve on, so I would be really grateful if you guys would leave a comment suggesting things I should improve or telling me what you liked. Another thing is, if there are any spelling/grammatical errors, I would appreciate if you let me know!

Once again thank you to all of whom have read Promise. Hopefully I'll have another story to share with you all soon. ●﹏●

- Silverhearted ❤