Free Hugs

Free Hugs

 

 

Buzz Buzz Buzzzzzzz

Taeyeon hit her annoying alarm off but her eyes remained closed even though she had to get up for work. After rolling around her bed a while, she slowly opened her eyes to face another day. She had a love and hate relationship with her work. She liked what she did but waking up at 6am every morning was laborsome for her.

Due to her waking up early every morning, she always took her showers at night so she could just throw on some clothes and fix her hair and makeup before heading out the door. She wasn’t good with eating breakfast and she didn’t like coffee so she went out every morning with an empty stomach just to wait for lunch to wake up her stomach up from a night of resting.

Taeyeon walked down the street a ways before heading down to the subway. Since the streets were always so packed in the mornings, taking the subway was the only logical way to go to work. Seeing her train already arriving, Taeyeon dashed into the train right as the doors were closing. Although she wasn’t really in a rush, it is always better to get the earlier one so she could relax on the rest of her walk to work once the train arrived.

After 30 minutes of riding the train, Taeyeon got off the train lethargically. She was kind of feeling tired of her days always going the same. Day in and day out it was always the same train and the same walk to work doing almost the same type of work. She just wanted a little break in her life or maybe something to spice it up a little, but who was she kidding? She never contacted friends or was interested in dating. I mean she liked her alone time and she could easily entertain herself at home. There was no way she would initiate that new excitement.

Or was today the day? Taeyeon’s eyes glanced over to a group of three people holding up a sign, “FREE HUGS! Everyone needs a little happiness in the morning!” A hug? Would that really give Taeyeon the pick-me-up she needed? Shrugging her shoulders, Taeyeon walked over to one of the girls who greeted her with a smile and opened her arms. Taeyeon leaned in and reciprocated the hug. It didn’t last long but long enough for her to feel some kind of warmth in her heart. It was strange that hugging a stranger could make her feel like some sort of weight lessened on her shoulders.

 

Taeyeon walked into the office glowing. The usually nonchalant chief was smiling early in the morning? The rest of the workers watched as Taeyeon walked to her office in a good mood. Strange as it was, everyone was relieved to see her charming smile so early.

Due to Taeyeon’s strange behavior, a knock came on her door as soon as she entered, “Yes?”

The girl walked in all smiles, “Someone looks happy! Did something exciting happen last night? Did you go out with someone? Is it Yoochun from the office? I know he has his eyes on you.”

Taeyeon started flailing her arms, “Wait! No way! I wouldn’t date him! I didn’t even go out last night!”

“Then what is up with you smiling so early? You usually drag yourself in like a deadman.”

“Hum nothing special. I woke up like usual…what is wrong with me smiling? Is it really that odd?”

“Just in the morning. We all know to talk to you after lunch when you are in a better mood.”

“Oh…I didn’t know I came off that way.”

“As your best friend you know you can tell me anything. So what happened? I mean something good must have happened!”

“Tiff seriously nothing happened? Maybe cause I caught the train on time. I don’t know.”

Tiffany huffed in annoyance before heading to the door, “Fine. But your secret won’t stay that way for long! I am going to go all detective you!”

“Yea yea whatever. You will find nothing!” Taeyeon said playfully.

The rest of the day, Taeyeon found herself in an unusually great mood. It didn’t fade even though she was swamped with meetings and a pile of paperwork. She didn’t want to admit that it was all because of the hug but maybe starting off her morning well did have a drastic change on her overall mood.

 

 

The next morning Taeyeon reached for her alarm but noticed that it didn’t go off. Her eyes opened to see the time, “5:45…did I seriously get up before my alarm?” Knowing she wouldn’t get back to sleep, Taeyeon got up. She did her normal routine but finished earlier than usual. She looked around her house for something to do but all she could think to do with her extra time was take out some fruit and eat it before going out the door.

With the energy boost, walking to the subway wasn’t so tiresome and catching the first train was easy. Taeyeon’s day was already starting out pretty good. Like usual, her 30 minute train ride came to an end so she got out. Taeyeon looked around and saw the same people giving out “free hugs” in the morning. Seeing how she liked it the first time, Taeyeon decided to give it another shot.

Not feeling comfortable around strangers, Taeyeon sought out the girl she hugged the first time. “Hey. I recognize you from yesterday!”

Taeyeon felt embarrassed that she was caught asking for another hug. Was this strange? “Ah yea…”
The girl opened her arms wide like an invitation for Taeyeon to enter them, “You want another?” Taeyeon nodded with her head down before giving the girl a very awkward hug. The girl giggled when Taeyeon backed away, “The first one you gave me was better.”

Taeyeon rubbed the back of her neck, “Ah sorry…”

“No worries! Have a good day!”

“Ah yea….thanks? You too.”

Taeyeon walked away hastily. She couldn’t believe that she acted like an idiot just because the girl recognized her from before. At times like these, she wished that should just be a normal person for once.

Eyes were once again on Taeyeon as she entered the office. Several of the workers looked back at their computers in confusion. She came in early? But she wasn’t smiling and her face was red? Most of the eyes followed Taeyeon as she retreated to the sanctity of her office.

Like before, a knock came quickly on her door, “Tiffany I know it is you. Go away.”

Ignoring the request, Tiffany went in, “You are such a liar! Something happened! I know it!”

Taeyeon was trying to cover her face, “Tiffany I am not in the mood! Just go play detective on some other defenseless employee. Not your boss!”

“Fine fine but you should know that your friend is hurt cause you are keeping secrets from her!”

“Then tell my friend I am sorry and she should wait till I am comfortable telling.”

Tiffany giggled as she went out the door after hearing Taeyeon confess that there was something strange going on.

 

That night, Taeyeon was restless in bed. She decided that she wouldn’t go to the hugging people anymore. It seemed too weird asking for one. However, that caused her to have several terrible nights of sleep since she started ignoring the people. Also her workers were starting to become frightened by their boss who was always in an unpleasant mood. The employees were even starting to draw straws on who would have to be the poor person to hand her a report.

 

One day, Taeyeon got off the train and looked over to where the hugging people normally were but to her relief, they weren’t there. A bit relaxed this morning, Taeyeon started walking out of the subway station confidently. “Hey there!”

Taeyeon almost fell back in shock when she saw the hugging girl, “Ah hey?”

The girl ran up to Taeyeon, “I noticed you come in at this time every morning. Why don’t you ask for hugs anymore? Is it because I am not good at it? Do I smell bad?”

Taeyeon held in her laughter. “Ah no!” She can’t admit that the girl always smelled amazing or her hugs were the warmest thing she ever felt.

“Then why stop coming?”

“Work?” That was the lamest excuse but she hoped that would deter the girl away from the questioning.

“Oh I see.” The girl pushed a cup into Taeyeon’s hands, “You look tired these days. It is tea.” Taeyeon looked that the girl questionably, “I didn’t poison it!”

“It isn’t that! Why are you being so nice?”

“Because everyone needs a little happiness in the morning.” Taeyeon recognized that saying from the sign she saw before.

Taeyeon took a sip carefully from the cup, “Oh it is good.”

The girl gave Taeyeon a bright smile, “Good! I didn’t know what you would like so I picked out my favorite in case you rejected it.”

“Oh no! It is really good. Thanks.”

The girl smiled, “Umm you should go to work right?”

Taeyeon looked down at her watch and saw she was going to be late so she started running but stopped and looked back, “Thanks again!”

Taeyeon walked into work with all the workers giving a sigh of relief. Their boss was smiling again but an unusual object in her hands? She never brought drinks to work.

A knock came on the door but Taeyeon didn’t have time to respond as the person just walked in, “Who gave you that!”

Taeyeon looked down at the drink, “Someone.”

“Who is that someone? You are meeting a person outside of work!”

“No I am not really! I don’t even know this person!”

“You accepted a drink from a stranger? How do you know it isn’t poisoned?”

“I am still alive aren’t I?”

“You are weird.”

“Yea well don’t think too much about it.”

“How can I not when you accept things from strangers! Didn’t you learn anything as a child?”

“I am an adult. I can take care of myself.”

“Well I am sorry if I care about my friend’s wellbeing!”

Taeyeon just shrugged it off and got back to work when Tiffany left.

 

 

The next day, detective Hwang was on the case of Taeyeon’s mysterious behavior. Cleverly disguised, Tiffany waited outside Taeyeon’s apartment ready to catch the culprit behind all of Taeyeon’s mood swings. Spotting her target, Tiffany watched from a close distance as Taeyeon went into the subway. She followed her into the train from the other car and tried to keep her eyes on Taeyeon through the crowd. It was difficult since she had to stand the whole 30 minutes without her eyes fading. Finally at the destination, Tiffany got out quickly from her train car as she still eyed out Taeyeon. Tiffany stopped walking and hid behind a pole when a girl approached Taeyeon. She watched as the girl handed Taeyeon a cup (same as before), “Haha! I caught you red handed Ms. Kim!” she whispered to herself. Taeyeon started laughing before waving the girl goodbye. Instead of following Taeyeon who was probably headed to work, Tiffany lingered behind to watch the mysterious girl. The girl didn’t do much other than gather her things and head back onto the train.

Due to her detective skills, Tiffany showed up to work very late. However, that didn’t matter since she went straight to her boss’s office, “you are so dead Kim Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon almost spit out her drink when Tiffany showed up so abruptly, “What the heck!”

“I saw you!”

“Saw me doing what?”

“You with a girl! She gave you that!” Tiffany pointed at the cup.

“Did you follow me this time?”

“I had to! I needed to know my friend was safe! Now tell me who is she?”

“I just found out today her name is Jessica. We have no relationship. I am not sure if she and I are friends or not. She just gives me random things in the morning after taking the subway to work.”

“Why would she do that?”

“She is nice?”

“No one is that nice. Does she want your money?”

“What?! Where did that assumption come from?”

“Don’t hide it that you aren’t rich.”

“Because I am not hiding? I am not rich!”

“Sure sure boss. You never spend your money and make more than me. Where does all your money go?”

Taeyeon scratched her head, “Nowhere I guess…I don’t really look at my bank balance. But how would she know if I have money or not? We know nothing about each other.”

“That is how it always starts…”

“Tiffany you know you are just making things up now? You never met a gold-digger before.”

“Maybe I have!”

“Ms. Hwang, I think you should put your creative skills into your work and not my personal life.”

“Just remember I will always make sure to have my eyes on you.”

“I feel like I should be more worried about you becoming a crazy stalker than Jessica doing anything to me.”

“Just as long as you are alert!”

Taeyeon laughed as her friend left the office. She sipped her drink, “Chai this time huh?”

 

 

After a few more days of receiving drinks from Jessica, Taeyeon felt guilty that it was always the girl who gave her something so she was determined today to return the favor. Seeing the girl, Taeyeon smiled and approached her, “Hey there.”

“I am not sure if you will like this one, but give it a shot.” Jessica handed Taeyeon a drink.

Like usual, Taeyeon would try it in front of Jessica, “Banana milk? Why is it in the usual cup for tea?”

Jessica laughed, “I wanted to surprise you! You should drink healthier things.”

“I love it!”

“That is good. You should head off to work now.”

Taeyeon took a piece of paper from her pocket, “Wait I want you to have this.”

Jessica took the piece of paper, “Your phone number?”

“Yea. Umm I want to have lunch or dinner with you to repay your kindness.”

Jessica smiled, “I don’t need you to repay me for anything. I did this because I wanted to.”

“But still! Let me buy you a meal…umm as friends?”

Jessica smiled, “I will message you when I am free. If we are just doing this as friends.”

Taeyeon gave a huge smile, “Ok!” as she happily went off to work.

 

Around 4pm, Taeyeon received a message, “This is Jessica! Does lunch tomorrow at 11:30am work for you?”

Without wasting time, Taeyeon messaged the girl back, “Of course!”

“I can meet you outside the subway where you normally stop…or is that too far from where you live?”

“No not far. We can meet there.”

“OK!”

Taeyeon smiled when she thought about meeting Jessica on the weekend. It was just lunch but she normally doesn’t leave her home during the days she doesn’t have work. Also, Taeyeon was very curious to know more about the girl who always gives her hugs and drinks.

 

 

Taeyeon walked out of the subway in jeans and a t-shirt. Her casual clothes made her look clearly 10 years younger but Taeyeon liked wearing clothes that she felt comfortable in. She looked at her watch and walked over to a bench since she arrived 10 minutes earlier than the agreed upon time.

Jessica was very punctual and arrived at 11:30, “Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon got up immediately and looked at Jessica who was in a nice sundress with a cardigan since the spring weather was nice but the wind could make it chilly at times. “Did you have a place in mind?”

Jessica nodded, “There is a good sandwich place over here.”

Taeyeon followed beside Jessica who seemed more energetic than usual. It wasn’t long before they arrived at the restaurant. They ordered before starting a conversation. “So umm Jessica. There was something I was curious about.”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon with her beautiful smile, “Shoot.”

“Why were you giving hugs in the subway?”

“Ah that! Have you heard of “A Loving Child Needs a Loving Home”?”

Taeyeon thought for a while, “Isn’t that an orphanage?”

“Yep! I am a volunteer there.” Jessica readjusted her seat as if to tell a long story, “Me and some of the volunteers thought if children who receive hugs on a regular basis have a better outlook on life because they are loved, why not adults? We thought many adults that come to work early in the morning might not have someone and work very hard to fill in certain voids. So for a week we gave out the hugs to see if there was a good effect or not.”

“And?”

“And we found out that adults are more shy than children when receiving hugs haha.”

Taeyeon could feel like everything Jessica was saying was very true about herself. “Well it was a good idea anyways.”

“Thanks! What about you? Are you one of those lonely adults?” Jessica asked the question to be more rhetorical and jokingly.

“I guess I am.” However, Taeyeon said that with some sadness.

“Oh…I didn’t mean it that way.”

“It is fine! I mean. I am a pretty boring person.”

“Ah don’t say that! I am sure you are fun. I can tell because you like banana milk.”

“How does that make me a fun person?”

Jessica hummed like she was  thinking, “Not all adults admit to liking a child’s drink. Makes me think you have a youthful spirit.”

Taeyeon laughed, “I appreciate the compliment. So you volunteer at the orphanage. Anything else? I mean volunteering can’t make you a living.”

“I guess it doesn’t does it? Well I make volunteering a priority. As for living expenses…my grandfather takes care of it. I told him I wanted to help those less fortunate and he told me that is a fortune in itself and that he would help me out so I could do that full time.”

“Wow your grandfather sounds cool.”

“He is a nice guy who had many fortunes in his lifetime. Our family believes that the gifts you give to others will come and reward you in many other ways. That is what happened to my grandfather.”

“I like the way your family thinks. What happened to your grandfather?”

“My grandfather was driving home from work like 50 years ago and saw a hit-and-run accident. Being a good samaritan, my grandfather took the boy to the hospital. It turned out that the boy was to inherit Samsung.”

“Oh shoot that is a huge company!”

“Of course it is! I guess the father was going to give my grandfather money but he refused. The man saw that my grandfather didn’t want to have a money handout so he offered my grandfather a job instead. Since my grandfather was getting old and the construction business was hard on his body, my grandfather accepted that offer.”

“Oh this Samsung guy sounds nice.”

“He was very nice. Also gave my grandfather a very good salary which supported my family comfortably. We try to donate most of the money but my grandfather still has lots from his service to the family.”

“Wow that is an amazing story!”

Jessica just laughed, “what about you. It looks like you make a living.”

“Of course I do. I am the chief editor for The Korea Herold.”

“Oh wow. That is one of the top newspapers out there. No wonder you go to work early every day. Is the work tough?”

“Not at all. I like what I do. I am sure taking care of kids would be hard for me so I admire your work more.”

“But still! Tons of people read that paper. So many eyes on you.”

“I never thought of it that way. I just do my work.”

The food arrived as the girls engaged in some casual conversation. Even after the food was gone, the two continued to share interests.

“Well Taeyeon it was nice finally getting to know you.”

“Same here Jessica. I hope we could make time to do this again.”

“Everything is possible.”

“I would like to make it possible,” Taeyeon said shyly.

Jessica smiled, “If you are ever free. Come by and visit my kids. We could always use volunteers.”

It was like Jessica was giving Taeyeon a hint on how to see her again, “I will think about it.” The two went their separate ways that day but that was definitely not the last time they met each other.

For the next several weeks, Taeyeon and Jessica would meet at the subway normally in the morning and have several lunch dates. It took much convincing but Jessica finally was able to have Taeyeon agree to come to the orphanage on a Saturday.

 

Taeyeon looked at the entrance of the building before ringing the doorbell. The door opened but Taeyeon didn’t see anyone until she looked down at a small boy who opened the door, “Oh you are pretty miss.”

Taeyeon laughed at the boy who gave her a compliment. “Oh you are here!” Taeyeon looked at Jessica who looked a little more different with her hair up and apron on.

“Of course I came.”

Taeyeon entered carefully while trying to avoid stepping on various objects on the floor. She saw the kids running around and several other volunteers playing with the kids but she followed Jessica into the kitchen, “Okay Taeyeon. We are making cookies. We have all the ingredients ready so we will help the kids put the ingredients in and bake them.”

Taeyeon nodded and did as she was told. Although the kitchen became a huge mess and the aprons did little to stop the ingredients from getting on their clothes and faces, Taeyeon had an amazing time.

After baking and eating the cookies, Taeyeon and Jessica put some of the kids to bed for a nap since their tummies were full of sweets. After 3 hours passed, and the kids tired Taeyeon out, Jessica decided to take Taeyeon to the bus stop. “You looked like you had fun.”

“Those kids are great! I can see why you always come here.”

“They are that way because they are loved.”

“I can see by the way you take care of them. You and the other volunteers are so good to them.”

Jessica laughed, “Because they deserve nothing less than a normal family. They should be loved.”

Taeyeon and Jessica stopped walking when they reached the bus stop. It didn’t take the bus long to start approaching so Taeyeon quickly turned to Jessica, “I hope I am not asking for too much but can I ask for one more free hug? I feel like I should have one before I go.”

Jessica smiled, “I think we are past the point where you need to ask.” Taeyeon smiled when Jessica opened her arms in which Taeyeon went into without hesitation. “Thank you for coming. You did well with the kids.”

Taeyeon smiled when she retreated from the hug, “It was fun.”

Jessica smiled and gave Taeyeon a quick kiss on the cheek, “That is also free.”

Taeyeon went on the bus baffled. Jessica kissed her on the cheek but for what reasons? She rubbed the spot before giving a goofy grin because whatever the reason was, she liked it.

 

 

Still caught up on the fact that Jessica kissed her on the cheek, Taeyeon asked to meet Jessica Sunday afternoon also. It was unusual to meet up so often on the weekend but Taeyeon really wanted to know what the kiss meant. She already knew that she was liking Jessica more than a friend but the other girl took life so casually that the kiss could mean nothing.

The two met up at a park near one of Jessica’s work places, “Hey Taeyeon! Why the sudden meeting? It sounded urgent.”

“Oh did it come off that way?”

Jessica laughed, “A little.”

“I mean if you are busy you can go. I just wanted to talk.”

Jessica pulled Taeyeon to a bench, “They have too many volunteers there today. It is fine. What is it you want to talk about?”

“Kiss…” Taeyeon said hesitantly.

“Oh…” Jessica looked away shyly, “Was I too bold?”

“No! Not that. I was just surprised! I mean you always surprise me…in a good way.”

Jessica turned back to Taeyeon, “Would it be surprising if I asked you for a freebee?”

Taeyeon was a bit embarrassed, “No never! I mean you keep giving me free things. I mean the hugs, the drinks, and lunch…”

“Can I ask you to return my kiss because I think I have fallen for you.”

Taeyeon was surprised with Jessica being so bold again yet Taeyeon liked that Jessica took the action she was afraid of making, “I..I thought we were past the point of asking?”

With that, Taeyeon leaned in to return the kiss but she aimed somewhere different. Taking ahold of Jessica’s lips, she made sure to make Jessica feel every bit of love she deserved. Jessica smiled a bit while returning the kiss because Taeyeon needed the love as much as her.

 

 

 

~END~