#004 - "Chocolate" - YeSung & ShinDong

100 Super Junior short stories

Without any hesitation YeSung hurried to the kitchen.
Now was the right time, since nobody was at the dorm, they all had a schedule, YeSung thought.
He was sad to be the only one without a schedule today, but it did bring him chances others did not have!

Contently YeSung read the recipe for chocolate brownies.
That shouldn’t be too hard, first he had to prepare the ingredients.
“Break 500 grams of bittersweet chocolate into little pieces…” YeSung read aloud and he opened up the first bar of bitter chocolate and started crumbling it above a cup.
“Melt 50 grams butter, preferably creamy butter, into a small pan.”

Doing everything the recipe said, the odors of melted chocolate started to spread around the dorm.
It made YeSung smile to know he would enjoy it and nobody was going to interrupt him.
“Hallelujah~!” he sang while the soundtrack of Iris entered his brain.
“Shimme, shimme, yo, one, two, step, ACTION!” the vocalist yelled while dropping a spoon full of melted chocolate onto the baking plate.
“Mission complete? For sure!” A voice behind him finished the chorus of the song, making YeSung jump up in shock.
ShinDong stood behind him and grinned from ear to ear.
That’s when YeSung remembered ShinDong’s schedule wouldn’t start until afternoon.
Oh, and ShinDong was certainly in for a share of chocolate!

Not many minutes later, ShinDong had taken charge of the ‘tasting’, while YeSung was trying his best to save as much chocolate from getting ‘tasted’.
“DongDongGuri! Stop eating so much, you already ate at least one whole bar!” YeSung complained.
“Msorry~!” ShinDong apologized, his mouth still chomping on a piece.
YeSung let out a sigh, but understood ShinDong’s behavior.
Try NOT to touch some delicious heaven’s food when it’s stalled out in front of you!

“What do you plan to make with melted chocolate anyway?” ShinDong wanted to know.
“Chocolate brownies…” YeSung answered, trying to pour the melted chocolate into a cup with his full focus on the task.
“I know something funny to do with chocolate!” ShinDong commented, already running away to grab some materials he needed.
“As long as you won’t just eat it…” YeSung mumbled.

Just then ShinDong returned with plastic foil, baking paper, tape, a pair of scissors, a black marker and some sheets of white paper.
“What’s all that for?” YeSung asked interested as he watched ShinDong stall it all out on the counter.
“Chocolate decoration! Tadaa~!” ShinDong said enthusiastically using his arms to make a showing gesture.
YeSung lifted an eyebrow, not understanding. “You want to decorate chocolate using paper?!”
“Yeah!” ShinDong stated. “You have to draw a simple figure, put it underneath the plastic and draw it using white, milk or dark chocolate. Then when it dries, you have decorated chocolate!”
YeSung tried to understand, but he couldn’t imagine the process and the outcome.

Seeing how his friend was still uncertain, ShinDong grabbed a sheet of white paper and started with the process.
First he drew a simple Hello Kitty face on the paper, using the black marker. Then he cut it out with the scissors, laid a sheet of plastic foil over it and taped it on the table.
After that he made three cylinder-shaped arrows out of the baking paper.
“This is all we need, before we melt the chocolate.” he said and started putting little pieces of dark chocolate into a plastic bowl.
YeSung let him as he was too interested in what ShinDong was going to do with the Hello Kitty drawing to care about him using YeSung’s chocolate.
After only one minute in the microwave, the chocolate was a little melted and ShinDong stirred it with a spoon before putting it back into the microwave for another minute.
When that process was repeated for about 5 times, the chocolate was ready, according to ShinDong.
Gently he poured the smooth paste into one of the cylinder-shaped arrows of baking paper.
Cutting of a small part of the arrow’s tip, the chocolate started to run slowly out of the arrow.
That’s when YeSung understood ShinDong’s idea.

ShinDong drew the outer lines and facial features of the Hello Kitty face with dark chocolate, then he melted some white chocolate to fill up the face.
All the while YeSung was jumping up and down beside him, impatient to try it for himself.

At the end of noon, an hour before ShinDong had to leave for his schedule, they had made enough chocolate figures for all the Super Junior members, Henry and Zhoumi included.
They made chibis of everyone, a few Hello Kittys (ShinDong’s design) and YeSung made some stars and undefined things, proudly pronounced (but heavily accented) as ‘objets d’art’. Art objects.

“We should do this more often!” ShinDong sighed as they were the bowls and utensils, eating the dried chocolate from the cylinder-shaped arrows and devouring any droplet of chocolate they could find.

“I think I’m going to be sick if I eat anymore chocolate…” YeSung let out when the chocolate was gone and both guys sat on the couch.
“…not just chocolate, anything will turn my stomach.” ShinDong replied.

“Oh, it’s smells like chocolate!” HanKyung’s voice could be heard, he was just back from his photo shoot.
He walked in carrying an apple pie which sent its odors into YeSung and ShinDong’s nose, making the guys dash for the toilet.
“Too much chocolate?” HanKyung asked and opened the fridge to put in the pie.
Then he noticed the huge amounts of decorated chocolate and smiled.

-08.12.2010-