His&Hers;

Maybe Next Time

I met her during my highschool days. She was as pretty as now and ever so amiable. I tried to approach her, with the hope of getting her name. But she was surrounded by her friends and was always looked upon by the boys in campus, which weakened my heart. So I took a step back as I whispered to myself, "Maybe next time." I then casually turned around and walked away.

 

"Sandy..."

I finally know her name.

I bumped into her at the cafeteria, spilling my drink all over her dress.

"I'm sorry..."

That was all I ever managed to say. She smiled a sweet smile and brushed off the incident like it never happened.

Soon after,  I would see her waving at me every time we would pass by each other. There were a lot of times when I wanted to say hi but fear got the best out of me. And so, I would always wave back at her as I thought to myself, "Maybe next time."

 

Months passed.

I finally got the courage to talk to her one spring day. She was walking alone down the hallway. She waved back at me, as usual, and I waved back. "Hi!" I finally said. "Hello!" she answered back with a smile.

"Why are you all alone?"

"I fixed my requirements," she replied, her smile fading a little.

"Requirements?" I asked her naively.

"I'm flying to another country in a week or so," answered Sandy.

"Oh... really? How long?"

"I... i'm not really sure," she answered as she shook her head.

"You're... you're not coming back?" I asked, with a hint of surprise and sadness.

She smiled that sweet smile once again without saying a word. I stood there, frozen. Will I ever see her again? I really do hope this isn't the last time I'd see her. 

"Please don't go...," I keep telling myself.

I wanted to stop her from leaving, but who am I to do that? I am but a stranger longing for her attention... for her love.

I looked on as she walked away from me. I wanted to get to know her better... to get closer to her. "Maybe next time," I whispered to myself.

 


 

I met him during my highschool days. He was as handsome as now and ever so gentle. I wanted to approach him, with the hope of getting his name. But he was so quiet, always looked upon by the girls in campus that it weakened my heart. So I pretended not to see him as I whispered to myself, "Maybe next time."

 

"Dong Hae...."

I finally know his name.

I bumped into him at the cafeteria, accidentally spilling his drink all over my dress.

"I'm sorry..."

That was all he said. I gave him my best smile as I wiped away at my dress. I wanted to let him know that everything is okay and so, I brushed off the incident as if it never happened.

Soon after, I got the courage to greet him as best I could everytime we would pass by each other. He would greet me back with a wave but never with a hi nor a hello. And so, I would always walk away wondering to myself when I would be able to hear his voice, "Maybe next time."

 

Months passed.

I finally got to hear his voice one spring day. He was walking alone down the hallway. I waved back at him, like I usually do and he waved back at me. "Hi!" he finally said. "Hello!" I answered back with a smile.

"Why are you all alone?" he asked.

"I fixed my requirements," I replied, my smile starting to fade a little.

"Requirements?" he asked again.

"I'm flying to another country in a week or so," I answered.

"Oh... really? How long?"

"I... i'm not really sure," I answered as I shook my head to subtly tell him that I don't really want to go.

"You're... you're not coming back?" he asked, this time with a hint of surprise and sadness.

I smiled at him once again because I could not utter a word. I stood there, frozen. If only I have a choice, I would stay. Will I ever see him again? I really do hope this isn't the last time I'd see him.

"Please tell me to stay...," I keep telling myself.

I wanted him to stop me from leaving, but who am I to do that? I am but a stranger longing for his attention... for his love. 

I slowly turned around and walked away. I wanted to get to know him better... to get closer to him, but I was left with no choice. "Maybe next time," I whispered to myself.