Two

Flipside

Two 

 

Things go pretty well the next few weeks, up till Baekhyun reaches the end of his 2nd trimester and the swell of his tummy grows significantly; an obvious swell in the middle whenever he puts on one of those snug sweaters. Winter is approaching, and Baekhyun takes to piling layers upon layers of clothing and sleeping with thick socks on his feet and the heater turned up at ungodly temperatures. 

 

 

Chanyeol comes to visit every day with a bag of sugared plums, because it's Baekhyun's latest craving. Chanyeol is still awfully serious around Baekhyun, always watching the other with that same unreadable expression and intense eyes, lips always set into a thin line. Park Chanyeol is intimidating, even more so as BxB's most skilled agent. Sometimes when Baekhyun is in one of those hormonally happy moods that has him on his feet dancing, he would get carried away into pulling on the agent's arm to get him to join him. But then Baekhyun would be hit by a wave of fear when Chanyeol gives no other reaction other than to stare hard at him, and that's when he'll shrink back into the comforts of his bed and concentrate on becoming one with it. The fear does melt, however, when Chanyeol sits beside him and wordlessly works his hands upon Baekhyun's legs just because he knows how sore Baekhyun's legs could get these past few weeks. 

 

 

With Chanyeol around all the time, Baekhyun doesn't even feel the extreme loneliness he'd felt before, when it was just him. He forgets about his father's reluctance to give him the love he'd been pining for, and instead seeks comfort in Chanyeol's presence alone. 

 

 

Chanyeol could sit at the desk, mulling over reports after reports; he could sit and watch soap operas with Baekhyun in a comfortable lull of silence, or he could watch from afar as Baekhyun played with Bunny Byun (the Beagle Baekhyun had brought home) in the garden, and it would still put the most genuine smile on Baekhyun's face. 

 

 

Because for once, Baekhyun isn't alone. 

 

 

+

 

 

 

Baekhyun is heavily pregnant, well into his third trimester, when the bubble of safe constant he's been living in bursts.  

 

 

They've been doing normal things when they hang out together that Baekhyun forgets of Chanyeol's other identity. He forgets why Chanyeol only ever comes in the day, and has to leave before night falls. He forgets why sometimes, his father would steal Chanyeol during their heated debates about who was sneaking money from the bank during a round of Monopoly, or when they're sprawled on the rug in Baekhyun's room, busy poring over What to Expect When You're Expecting. 

 

 

Baekhyun isn't one to care, he has been doing it his whole life, but when Chanyeol made a promise that he was going to take responsibility, he had expected the man to be there for everything. Every morning sickness episode, every late night craving, every trip to the baby store. 

 

 

But when Chanyeol failed to turn up for the last doctor's appointment, Baekhyun knew something was going on. 

 

 

His suspicions were proven right when he marched over to the agent's apartment right after his trip to the clinic with a scowl on his face, knocking so hard on the door he knew it was going to break open, only to be grabbed by the arm and pulled away by a bunch of men in black. 

 

 

"Wha--" Baekhyun tries to scream but a hand over his mouth prevents him from doing so. Instead, he at the palm in retaliation, swinging his short limbs in an attempt to injure any one of the men who was taking him towards a car. Baekhyun puts up a good fight up till the moment they shove him, rather painfully, into the car and shut the door close. He's finally freed from the hands on him but he's unable to say anything as he winces, the pain in his side growing. 

 

 

"Hey, hey! I told you to be careful with him!" Baekhyun hears a familiar deep voice, though he can't make out if he's relieved or just plain angry. 

 

 

"You told them to kidnap me? Why in the world would you do that!?" 

 

 

"Put your seatbelt on." 

 

 

"Not until you tell me where you're taking me," Baekhyun huffs as he crosses his arms. 

 

 

"Put your seatbelt on, Baekhyun," Chanyeol says once more, this time a little firmer than before. 

 

 

"Not until you--" Baekhyun's words are cut off by a small shriek as Chanyeol takes a sharp turn to the right, causing him to fall into the door as he hits his head against the glass. 

 

"Fine..." Baekhyun concedes as he does as he's told. Baekhyun could see the agent looking at him through the rearview mirror every now and then, but he ignores the man, choosing to look out the window with a scowl and letting out a sound of annoyance every time one of the men touches him when Chanyeol instructs them to check on any physical injuries on the pregnant boy. 

 

Chanyeol can't stop the guilt, however, whenever Baekhyun would let out a whimper and rub at his baby bump so eventually he cracks and asks in concern, "Are you okay? Please just tell me you are." 

 

 

"No thanks to you, Baby Byun is frantic in there right now," Baekhyun says as he adds in a quieter tone, "She's scared." 

 

 

Chanyeol knows Baekhyun is talking about himself this time, but using Baby Byun as an excuse. 

 

 

The car stops outside a deserted warehouse. Baekhyun refuses to budge even when the men tell him to get off, and Chanyeol has to wave them away, saying that he'll handle the pregnant boy himself. 

 

 

"I need you out the car." 

 

 

"Well, need you to tell me what the hell is going on and why you've brought me here. Are you planning on killing me, huh? Is this some sort of ploy to get rid of me?" 

 

 

"Gosh, Baekhyun..." Chanyeol cries exasperatedly, "It's nothing like that. I just need you to trust me on this one. I'll explain everything inside." 

 

 

"How do I know--" 

 

 

His words are cut -- something that happens quite a lot, Baekhyun observes -- by the terrifying sounds of a few gunshots in the distance. Before Baekhyun could even scream, Chanyeol had manhandled him out of the car and pulled him such that he's effectively squashed into Chanyeol's side, a hand over his mouth. 

 

 

"Who are they?" Baekhyun asks, voice muffled. He forgets about the question as soon as he sees a revolver in Chanyeol's other hand -- the one that isn't covering his mouth. His eyes widen, and he lets out a few choice curse words in shock. 

 

 

The string of events unfolded in the blink of an eye. The car shakes from a rain of bullets shot in their direction, and Baekhyun has half a mind to bolt into the warehouse, to take cover, but Chanyeol keeps him close, knowing it wasn't the right time to do so. Instead, Baekhyun screams, Chanyeol letting him do so since they were already found out anyway. It isn't till Chanyeol starts peeking his head out and shooting at the enemy with intensity that Baekhyun starts to feel really faint with everything that's going on.  

 

The warfare only ceases, though only for a moment, when there is a scream of agony on the other side and Chanyeol takes the opportunity to drag Baekhyun by the arm into the warehouse. It's dim inside but Chanyeol finds his way around like a pro. Baekhyun is panting and awfully dizzy by the time they make it into one of the smaller rooms where Chanyeol quickly sets up a makeshift chair using a few bricks and props Baekhyun onto it. 

 

 

"What are... you... doing?" Baekhyun asks in between breaths as Chanyeol runs his hands all over his body under his shirt. He attempts to weakly slap them away but fails rather miserably from the lack of energy. 

 

 

"I'm checking to see if you were hit," Chanyeol replies urgently, only letting up when he finds that there's no blood or broken bones. 

 

 

"I think I would know if I got shot," Baekhyun counters sarcastically. Chanyeol tugs the shirt back down but moulds his hands around the swell in the middle as he stays completely still apart from his heaving chest and loud breathing. Baekhyun's heart beats erratically (What are you talking about? It's nothing, it's from the running and adrenaline rush and it totally has nothing to do with how attractive Chanyeol is when he's all serious and concernedas he watches the concentration in Chanyeol's eyes, the way the lines of worry crease into his forehead, and he finds that he has to look away in case his heart jumps out of his chest. 

 

 

"She's okay, Chanyeol," Baekhyun assures when Baby Byun gives a flutter as a sign. 

 

 

"I just needed to make sure," Chanyeol mutters, finally allowing himself to fall back with palms on the ground to hold him up, catching his breath. Baekhyun points to the wretched thing sitting so casually on the ground beside the agent. 

 

 

"ARE YOU SURE IT'S SAFE TO LEAVE IT LIKE THAT?" 

 

 

Chanyeol chuckles, picking it up and waving it in front of Baekhyun 

 

 

"STOP IT, WHAT IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY SHOOT ME, YOU MORON!" 

 

 

"Relax, Baek, I'm very well-trained with these," Chanyeol swings it around. "Your father taught me well." 

 

 

"I don't care, it makes me uneasy." 

 

 

"It's not like you haven't seen one before." 

 

 

"I haven't okay? I haven't seen the real thing. Father never lets me in on any of his dealings underground." 

 

 

"Good," Chanyeol mutters under his breath, not intending for Baekhyun to hear. 

 

 

"Why is that so?" 

 

 

"Well, because you're a klutz and I don't think it's safe for you to be anywhere near them," Chanyeol explains as a matter-of-factly. 

 

 

"Hey, I'm not a klutz!" 

 

 

"Sure you aren't. You just so happen to trip over the bathroom mat every time you get out of the shower, you trip up the stairs when you're sleepy and why is it that I'm always seeing a bruise or a healing scratch on your arm when I come over to visit?" 

 

 

"It's not my fault the universe hates me and conspires against me," Baekhyun says with a pout, making Chanyeol laugh. 

 

 

"In other words, a total klutz." 

 

 

Their moment is broken when there's another furious shout outside before they hear the gunshots once again. 

 

 

"Can you please tell me what's going on before I lose it?" Baekhyun cries as Chanyeol helps him up to his feet and pulls him along. 

 

 

"Later," Chanyeol grits, "I need to get you somewhere safe for now." 

 

 

They hurry out the room and make it out the warehouse where they're reunited by the rest of the team who assured that they were going to cover Chanyeol's back as the latter gets a head start on getting the pregnant boy to safety. 

 

 

"Baek, you need to move faster, they're gaining speed on us," Chanyeol chastises, tugging harder at Baekhyun's arm as the pregnant boy struggled to keep up. 

 

 

"Hello, heavily pregnant and about to pop any time soon, remember?" Baekhyun snaps back rather annoyed. 

 

 

Chanyeol gives Baekhyun another chance but when he turns around to see that one of the rogues had caught up with them, he wasted no time in scooping the boy in his arms -- and startling Baekhyun who demanded to be put down. 

 

 

"Hold on tight, Byun." And then he was sprinting like the wind, Baekhyun clinging onto his neck with eyes closed. 

 

 

The ride makes him dizzy, Chanyeol having stumbled a few times and having to jump over everything that was in his way (Baekhyun is seriously impressed with the man's amazing stamina) but eventually the clamour dies down and then there's nothing but heavy breathing that punctuates the unusual silence. 

 

 

Only when he feels that they've come to a complete standstill that Baekhyun finally opens his eyes. They're now at the edge of the forest that surrounds the South of the neighbourhood. Baekhyun shivers at the sight of tall, eerie-looking century old trees. 

 

 

"You okay?" Chanyeol asks, hiking Baekhyun up in his arms so he could secure the latter better. 

 

 

Baekhyun's eyes are wide in fear as he stares up at the man, declaring with all seriousness, "I think I might just poop Baby Byun out right here." 

 

 

Chanyeol can't help the chuckle that leaves his lips despite being worn out from the chase. 

 

 

"Baekhyun you do not just poop out a baby. Anyway, you better hold her in. She's still got four weeks to go, it won't do to have her out so early." 

 

 

"Now will you please explain to me just what the is going on?" Baekhyun blurts, not forgetting to put his hands over his tummy just in case Baby Byun heard him cursing. Chanyeol obliges, settling Baekhyun in his lap as he takes a seat on the dirt-covered ground. 

 

 

"There's a notorious gang from China, Exo-M, who came to the neighbourhood a few weeks ago to deal with local gang S-Jr, and somehow the deal went wrong so that resulted in a brawl that left one of Exo-M's members dead." 

 

 

"I read that in the news last week. Is that why security have been increased at the town square?" 

 

 

"Yeah, because it happened at S-Jr's headquarters located in the vicinity. So Exo-M have been terrorizing the public in the area because S-Jr isn't going to claim responsibility for the incident. The police are on their case so they need to keep their operations on a low-key." 

 

 

"I don't get why the police won't just arrest S-Jr? Or put a restraining order on the Exo-M members?" Baekhyun frowns in confusion, trying to comprehend everything. 

 

 

"It's a lot more complicated than that, Byun." Chanyeol clicks his tongue and gives a wry smile. "There's a whole lot of politics going on and it'll probably take awhile to explain everything. Especially for you to understand." 

 

 

"Are you calling me dumb now? Dammit, Park, why are you always insulting me?" Baekhyun pouts. 

 

 

"I'm not," Chanyeol chuckles, expression that of the rare amusement, "It's just fun teasing you. It's because you're annoying and bratty but you really do have an innocent mind." 

 

 

"Okay," Baekhyun grumbles, "Back to the story. You haven't gotten to the part where they're wanting to blow our brains out." 

 

 

Chanyeol winces at the graphicness of the choice of words. "Since the police can't do much, or more like they can't do anything as of now, that's where BxB comes in. All those times I couldn't visit you, or when your father would pull me out of our dates--" 

 

 

"--they were not dates--" 

 

 

"--it's because we were busy formulating plans to have Exo-M out; send them back so they'd stop creating trouble in the neighbourhood." 

 

 

Chanyeol takes a moment to catch his breath again, his heartbeat having returned to its normal pace. "Since Exo-M haven't had luck getting to S-Jr, they figured their best option is to, unfortunately, target BxB." 

 

 

"I still don't get it. Why would they target BxB? It doesn't make any sense," Baekhyun's frown only deepens. 

 

 

"It's okay, you don't have to understand," Chanyeol patiently says. 

 

 

"So now, Exo-M knows that Byun Minho is the head of BxBand their target now is Byun Minho's son..." 

 

 

"...Me," Baekhyun croaks weakly. 

 

 

"These people are dangerous, Baekhyun. Don't underestimate their power or greed for vengeance." 

 

 

Baekhyun gulps at the seriousness of the situation. "So now what? I just keep running? Is that what my life will come to?" 

 

 

"No," Chanyeol shakes his head with fervour, "I won't let it come to that, don't worry about it." 

 

 

Baekhyun feels something akin to gratitude wash over him. 

 

 

"Then what are we doing right now?" 

 

 

"We just need to buy some time. Your father managed to contact Exo-M headquarters at Guangzhou and they've agreed to fly over sometime this week to settle things once and for all. As of now those here are still upset over the incident so we need to keep you safe just till the rest arrive," Chanyeol assumes his pensiveness that shows on his face. 

 

 

There were still a lot of questions on Baekhyun's mind but he figured it was best to just keep them to himself. He didn't want to annoy Chanyeol any further, not when the man was risking his own safety to assure Baekhyun's. 

 

 

Dusk approaches quickly, enveloping their surroundings in darkness apart from the city's lights in the far distance. It was only then that Chanyeol deem it safe to venture out of their temporary hideout. The darkness becomes their safety cloak as Chanyeol leads Baekhyun along the deserted trail that would lead them back home.  

 

 

Exhausted, neither males utter a word as they trudged on in silence. Baekhyun, though, was even more tired than he'd let on, and halfway through their journey, he found himself halting in his tracks, not able to move a step further. 

 

 

"Is something wrong?" Chanyeol asks as soon as he feels Baekhyun's hold on his arm tightening and turns around to face the other.  

 

 

"It just hurts," Baekhyun mumbles sheepishly. He hadn't wanted to cause any more trouble than he'd already had but Baby Byun seemed to be uneasy as she keeps shifting around inside, probably to get into a more comfortable position. 

 

 

Chanyeol bends down on one knee, "Come on, I'll piggy back you." 

 

 

"Are you sure it's okay?" Chanyeol had been carrying him all day and Baekhyun was certain the man's limbs were beginning to ache from how heavy he was. 

 

 

"Get on, Baekhyun. It won't do to have you fainting." 

 

 

Baekhyun obliges with a quiet thank you.  

 

 

Surprisingly enough, it takes them a shorter period of time to cover a greater distance, and Baekhyun mutters a silent sorry when he realises it was him all along who had been holding them back. They arrive home at the Byun mansion where worried butlers greet the duo, fussing more over the pregnant boy as they guide him to take a quick washing up and then proceeded to settle him into bed. 

 

 

Baekhyun's thoroughly exhausted by the time his head hits the pillow but he manages to keep his consciousness when Chanyeol enters his room, all washed up and smelling good with hair still damp, and perches himself on the side of the bed. 

 

 

He stares at Baekhyun for the longest time, that unreadable expression of his back, as Baekhyun peers at him through the crack of his eyes. 

 

 

"I know you're awake," Chanyeol finally says, making Baekhyun startle from the acknowledgement. His eyes fly open, gaze sharp. 

 

 

"And why have you been staring at me, you creep?" 

 

 

"It's just... I was thinking." 

 

 

Baekhyun pulls himself up to sit so he could talk better, arms crossing over his chest and eyebrow raised. 

 

 

"I'm glad you weren't hurt today," Chanyeol admits, voice much softer than it usually is, "After that one time you were admitted into the hospital, and Baby Byun almost..." 

 

 

Baekhyun's expression faltered, arms instinctively wrapping themselves around his huge swell. They had never really addressed the incident, almost as if it were taboo, but it was only because Baekhyun still, occasionally, beat himself up over it.  

 

 

"...I think I wouldn't forgive myself if anything like that ever happened to you again," Chanyeol says quietly. 

 

 

Baekhyun hides the small smile that had formed. It felt nice.  

 

 

Instead, he pries the covers off himself and gets out of bed when Bunny appears by the doorway. He calls the beagle over and starts playing with him. 

 

 

"Seriously? I divulge my feelings and you ignore me to play with a dog?" Chanyeol calls from where he is. 

 

 

Baekhyun laughs. "It's not that... I'm just... really awkward when people are nice to me, okay?" 

 

 

Chanyeol doesn't ask why because he knows. He knows that niceness wasn't something Baekhyun was prone to experiencing from others. In a way Chanyeol felt for the boy. 

 

 

"Just tell me something," Chanyeol continues. "Do you understand what I'm trying to imply?" 

 

 

"Gosh, you sound like some kind of analyst."Baekhyun laments, scratching Bunny on the ear. Chanyeol narrows his eyes at the pregnant boy who has his back to him, squatting on the ground and looking like a little kid who found candy as he played with Bunny. 

 

 

"I'll just get straight to the point then," Chanyeol ignores the comment, and declares fervently, "I think I like you, Baekhyun." 

 

 

Baekhyun's actions cease. He stands up slowly and turns to face the man who's trying to gauge his reaction. 

 

 

"You like me?" 

 

 

"I like you," Chanyeol affirms with a nod off his head. 

 

 

"When did you know?" Baekhyun asks, voice soft, and maybe just a tad bit hopeful. He plays with his hands in front of him, gaze lowered to the ground but occasionally sneaking glances at the man. 

 

 

"I think... it started that day when I saw you lying on the bed in the hospital looking defeated and just plain worn out. You looked really innocent and; well, not bratty or annoying," Chanyeol explains. It's weird, Baekhyun thinks, how Chanyeol talks as if he's just discussing the weather outside but then he figures that's just how Chanyeol is. Straightforward and blunt and face forever void of expression. 

 

 

"And there was something in me that stirred--" 

 

 

"--maybe it was just you getting hungry--" 

 

 

"--will you let me finish?" Chanyeol gives a frown. Baekhyun zips his mouth and throws the keys away. 

 

 

"So, I felt something in me. Like, I couldn't breathe when I saw you lying there. And, I just, wanted to..." 

 

 

"...Can I say this?" Chanyeol looked hesitantly to the boy who nodded his head. 

 

 

"I just wanted to kiss you." Baekhyun's eyes widen at the revelation, heat creeping up behind his ears as Chanyeol stared reverently at him. 

 

 

Chanyeol waits for Baekhyun to say something, which only happens after a minute or so. 

 

 

"Does it really take something as serious as me being sick and almost losing our child for you to start liking me?" Baekhyun says in a rather dubious tone.  

 

 

"It does." Chanyeol replies simply, not missing a beat. To his surprise, though, Baekhyun turns to walk away. 

 

 

"I don't want your pity. I don't need it." But Chanyeol is quick stand and grabs onto his wrist as he pulls the boy up against his own chest; as close as he could with the huge swell in the middle. 

 

 

"It does," Chanyeol continues, ignoring Baekhyun, "It does because it showed me that you're human too. That you hurt and you have feelings despite the stupid facade you put on." 

 

 

Baekhyun goes rigid at Chanyeol's touch over his chest. "That this..."  

 

 

"This thing that I used to think consists of nothing but darkness and spite..."  

 

 

Baekhyun is suddenly hyper aware at how hard his heart is beating in his chest. Chanyeol's fingers press deeper into the fabric, as if noticing it too, and wanting to get a better feel of what he had caused. His eyes are boring into Baekhyun's and it makes Baekhyun even more flustered at how deep and low and -- , it's husky too --Chanyeol's voice has become. 

 

 

"It yearns to love, and be loved."  

 

 

They're so close now, face mere inches from each other's, that it makes Baekhyun's eyes flutter as rapidly as his pulse is running.  

 

 

"Do you still want to... kiss me?" Baekhyun whispers against his skin. 

 

 

A rough hand curls around Baekhyun's chin as a reply, moving with unprecedented gentleness, and then Baekhyun's eyes come to a complete close as Chanyeol's plump lips brush against his own hesitant ones.There's a salty taste to it, and just a hint of something saccharine, but nothing beats the charming confidence Chanyeol pours into the kiss. 

 

 

Baekhyun pulls away with a gasp for air even though they've only been kissing for a few seconds. It makes Chanyeol chuckle endearingly because it's a sight rarer than a triple rainbow to see a bright red ByunBaekhyun.   

 

 

Chanyeol slowly releases his hold on the pregnant boy's wrist but the hand that had been cupping his cheek moves down to rest lightly on Baekhyun's lower back.  

 

 

"Baekhyun you can be amazing when loved. I know there's so much more to you than bratty insults and snarky comments."  

 

 

"If we're going to do this dating thing then you need to cut the cheesiness because I can't take you seriously when I've seen you in action; that cold and intimidating personality you have right there." Baekhyun holds a hand up in front of Chanyeol's face. "So basically, cheesiness doesn't suit you." 

 

 

 He lowers his hand to gaze at the tall man.  

 

 

"What makes you think so?" Chanyeol challenges with a quirk of his lips.  

 

"Um," Baekhyun waves his hands in the air, "Guns, violence, all that blood and gore? Do you think it works?" 

 

 

"Well, if you say so," Chanyeol turns on his heel, hands in pockets, "But I'll have you know that I can be romantic when I want to."  

 

 

 

+  

 

 

True to his word, Baekhyun discovers that Park Chanyeol is the epitome of romance. It isn't so much as elaborately planned actions or dates, but more of the subtle gentlemanly vibe that he exudes; all those simple gestures that makes Baekhyun feel like he truly cares. Of course Baekhyun would fall for that. Nobody had ever tried to get to know him, bothered to know the kind of person he is and his likes and dislikes, but Chanyeol...  

 

 

Chanyeol isn't a man of many words but when Baekhyun is talking, he really looks at him and listens to everything, memorizes each upturn of his lips and every crease in his forehead. Takes note of every little hidden meaning behind each look in the pregnant boy's eyes. 

 

 

They're not sappy towards each other, but Chanyeol takes very good care of the boy. Despite how inexpressive Chanyeol is, Baekhyun still finds himself gravitating towards him like a firefly to light. Maybe it's because he's finally found good company, or maybe it was the fact that Chanyeol made him feel like he's so much more than what he perceives himself to be. 

 

 

Baekhyun learns to lean on the other even though he has always been on his own, and a little over two weeks later, he was more than happy to welcome the warmth that comes with Chanyeol on nights when it gets too cold; or days when the perennial loneliness returns. 

 

 

The final lap of his pregnancy renders him utterly exhausted; his doctor tells of how normal it was for some first-timers to experience fatigue, and Baekhyun thinks, just how lucky could he be that he falls into that infinitesimal group?  

 

 

But Chanyeol the ever romantic boyfriend strikes once again when he brings along a stack of dvds so they could laze around all day instead of going out like what they've done their past few dates. Kyungsoo, however, is certain they spend a bit too much time with each other when he catches Chanyeol giving kisses to Baekhyun on his head, deeming them holy sources of energy, whenever Baekhyun whines about being so tired he could hardly move. 

 

 

Really, that was something only childish Baekhyun would have said. 

 

 

Baekhyun has lalso gotten quite bold. Despite never having any experience in relationships or crushes, Baekhyun finds it easy to fool around with Chanyeol. The man is amusingly serious and Baekhyun is ridiculously cute (or so he thinks. Chanyeol used to call it annoyance. He's not very sure what it is right now, though he's this close to calling it cute as well. If only Baekhyun would stop pulling those killer pouts or talking in that kiddish voice he insists is natural). They're a funny pairing, even the butlers agree. 

 

 

One thing's for certain: Chanyeol isn't quite sure how he ended up liking Byun Brat, more less like him quite a lot. Enough to make his heart skip beats and lips pull into the silliest of grins. 

 

 

 

+ 

 

 

 

On the last week of his pregnancy, Baekhyun stands in front of the full-length mirror with his shirt up and belly exposed. He takes a good look at the view, knowing that it'll be the last time he'd be seeing it. Soon, he'd have a beautiful baby girl to hold in his arms. That didn't mean he wouldn't miss the journey that had brought him to where he was now. 

 

 

With a small smile, Baekhyun caresses the baby bump, loving how Baby Byun always responds so enthusiastically when he communicates with her through thoughts and fleeting touches. 

 

 

"You haven't decided on a name," a deep voice calls from behind Baekhyun, startling him. He turns his head around to look up at Chanyeol who was hovering over him from behind. Two hands join his own at where they're gliding over the expanse of his baby bump. 

 

 

"It's beautiful," Chanyeol murmurs. Baekhyun turns back around to watch him through the mirror as he admires the swell over Baekhyun's shoulder, hands still splayed across the baby bump. 

 

 

Chanyeol whispers something else, but he says it so quietly Baekhyun misses it. 

 

 

"What?" Baekhyun asks. 

 

 

"You're beautiful," Chanyeol repeats in a breathless tone. Chanyeol finds that he has learnt a lot about pregnancy over the course of Baekhyun's. He adds glowing and radiantly beautiful to his list. 

 

 

"Stop," Baekhyun shyly says, though he can't help but to smile as he gently pries Chanyeol's hands off him and turns around so they're facing each other instead.  

 

 

"Anyway, we haven't decided on a name," Baekhyun changes the subject, afraid he would combust from how romantic Chanyeol is turning. 

 

 

"We?"  

 

 

"Yeah, we. We're having Baby Byun together, aren't we?" 

 

 

Chanyeol grins. "Yes." 

 

 

"So, any thoughts?" 

 

 

Chanyeol bites down on his lip, looking the most unsure Baekhyun has ever seen him. 

 

 

"You can tell me," Baekhyun probes. 

 

 

"Well, you know how my parents aren't around anymore?"  

 

 

Baekhyun nods in sympathy, squeezing the hand that he was still holding. 

 

 

"I was wondering if we could name her after my late mother." 

 

 

Baekhyun does something unexpected, then. He reaches up and pecks Chanyeol on the cheek before pulling away with a wide smile. 

 

 

 

"Of course." 

 

 

Chanyeol returns a grin, the same, quite terribly rare, lopsided quirk that makes Baekhyun tingle inside. "Min Jung. Our darling Min Jung." 

 

 

"Min Jung," Baekhyun repeats after him, "That's a pretty name." 

 

 

"You should have met her, then. She was really pretty." 

 

 

"Ah," Chanyeol sighs in thought, "She was really the best mother anybody could ever ask for." 

 

 

Baekhyun gives a smile that doesn't quite reach his eyes this time, and Chanyeol immediately catches on to the reason behind it. Instead of comforting the boy with words he could never really find, he reaches a hand to curl around the back of Baekhyun's head and pulls him into his chest where their past is nothing but a memory and future is a gleaming light. 

 

 

"I think you're going to be the best for her, Baekhyun. You'll be all she will ever need." 

 

 

 

+ 

 

 

 

Min Jung decides she's ready for the world when Baekhyun is busy hyperventilating over finally having witnessed Chanyeol shoot someone dead. In Chanyeol's defenseBaekhyun wasn't even supposed to be there. He was supposed to be too exhausted to leave the confines of his room, not being an extremely sweet boyfriend and carrying a box of cake he had learnt to make to surprise Chanyeol at the latter's apartment. 

 

 

"I can't believe-- oh my god-- you shot him-- HE'S ING DEAD!" 

 

 

"Baekhyun, will you please calm down? Jesus. He's not dead, just knocked out." 

 

 

"B-But all this blood..." Baekhyun goes faint at the revelation, gripping unto a chair nearby to steady himself. Chanyeol reaches a hand out to hold him steady but Baekhyun is quick to slap it away. 

 

 

"You have blood on your hands!" Baekhyun shrieks. "And what are you going to do with this mess?" 

 

 

"Your dad will send someone to clean it up." 

 

 

"How can you say it so nonchalantly?! SOMEONE'S DEAD BECAUSE OF YOU!" Baekhyun screams, still seemingly frantic. 

 

 

"Baekhyun he's not dead," Chanyeol sighs, "He's just unconscious; he'll be fine. I didn't hit any of his main arteries." 

 

 

"B-But--" Baekhyun starts blabbering something about being horrified and Baby Byun agreeing with him because she can't sit still before he's lurching forward and digging his nails into Chanyeol's arm with a loud, 

 

 

"I'M HAVING THE BABY, CHANYEOL. I'M HAVING THE BABY RIGHT HERE IN THE CRIME SCENE OF YOUR APARTMENT WITH THE DEAD MAN ON THE FLOOR."

 

 

+  

 

 

Baekhyn figures that the pregnancy has made him an emotional person, because the first thing he does when he wakes up to see Chanyeol with a small bundle in his arms is to cry, before he's choking out a very fervent,

 

 

"I think I love you Chanyeol." 

 

 

The agent is shocked by the sudden confession and he thinks he would have dropped baby Min Jung from his arms if not for the fear of what the midget might do to him if he actually did. No post-labour exhaustion and IV line is going to hold him back. 

 

So Chanyeol stands there, rigid and eyes wide; his usually indifferent face painted with surprise. 

 

 

"You do?" 

 

 

Baekhyun thinks of the first time they officially talked to each other -- the moment when he'd handed Chanyeol the pregnancy stick -- and how amusing it is now, despite how furious he'd been then. He thinks back on that time Chanyeol left him for real and how hopeless he'd felt but then the tall man came back to save him from his loneliness and helplessnessBaekhyun can't help but feel a surge of warmth, warmth he hadn't known could exist from being with just one person, when he thinks about all the times Chanyeol had treated him well and all the genuine concern and attempts at getting him to be a better person. 

 

 

With those thoughts on his mind, Baekhyun can't help but wipe at his nose, sniffling as he nods and mutters a quiet, "Yes, I think I do." 

 

 

"Well," Chanyeol starts, gazing at the baby girl Baekhyun had fought valiantly to keep, running his finger over the smooth cheek, and then lifting his eyes to look at the mother of his child, "I think I do, too." 

 

 

"You do?" Baekhyun hiccups. 

 

 

"Yes," Chanyeol says as he walks towards the bed. "And not just because you gave me this beautiful baby girl." 

 

 

"It's because I was right. That there's so much more to you," Chanyeol leans in over Min Jung, letting his face hover just inches from Baekhyun.   

 

 

Chanyeol thinks about all the times Baekhyun had riled him up, all the times Baekhyun threw a fit because of the hormones and all the times Baekhyun would return to being his bratty self that was rather difficult to let go of. 

 

 

"You are impossible, but I think I love you too." 

 

 

+ 

 

 

 

They're still far off the road to marriage, but that doesn't mean they haven't had small talks about it. Chanyeol is serious, so when it comes to the decision to spend the rest of his life with someone, there's so much ground he needs to cover -- on his own or with the person he's been with for a little over a year now. 

 

 

But it's Baekhyun, and every day is an exciting adventure with the midget and their adorably intelligent Min Jung who has just learnt to take her first few steps (in which Chanyeol insists it's because of his constant guidance. Baekhyun lets him have this one because Min Jung called him mummy first, and she has yet to call Chanyeol daddy, to the latter's disappointment). 

 

 

So in time, they would get there. Right now, Chanyeol is just content with their cute little family of three-- 

 

 

"IF THE OTHER PINK LINE SHOWS UP, IT'S GOING TO BE FOUR AND I'M GOING TO CASTRATE YOU, YOU ." 

 

 

Oh god, no, not again. 

 

 

"I will take care of you, and Min Jung, and the bundle of mine and your cute cells that's germinating in there. Don't worry Baek baby." Chanyeol holds his hand with Min Jung perched on his side, babbling away cheerily, as Baekhyun sits hunched over the closed lid of the toilet, trying to hold his lunch in. He just knew it the moment he'd felt like heaving his guts out that it was starting all over again. The godforsaken stick sits mockingly in front of them on the counter as the second hand ticks by at an awfully slow pace 

 

 

But Baekhyun's annoyance melts at Chanyeol's sweet words and the warm gesture but he doesn't show it. 

 

 

"I will puke on everything you love if that second line shows." 

 

 

"You'll be puking quite a bit on yourself, though, baby." 

 

 

Baekhyun finally pulls Chanyeol down for a kiss at the latter's unexpected wit. 

 

 

"I'm glad we're finally on the same page." 

 

 

+ 

 

 

 

A/N: ah, sorry for the late update, i didn't get the chance to get to a computer.

 

Idk guys, the story doesnt even make sense, i wasnt thinking when i wrote this. like, it starts off promising then somewhere along the way it gets weird and a little off and... it certainly didn't turn out the way I thought it would... 

and then there's that weird scene at the end....... 

 

 i am sorry :< 

 

on another note, there miiiight be a sequel that'll be more focused on Chanyeol as the badass agent he's /supposed/ to be as he struggles to be both the best agent and a decent father to Min Jung. Though he can't have both so he'll be the father that doesn't know .  

and it has scenes i couldn't fit into this part of the story. 

Not promising anything but it's an idea.  

Anybody want to write it out? Or co-write it with me?  

 

No? ok... 

 

i'll give it a go when i have the time. i think im ready to write baby, baby again, but i'll write out a few of thoe chapters first before updating. THANKS FOR BEING PATIENT EVERYONE <3