Dark and Light

In The Dark Of The Night

Songs: Please Dont Make Me Love You by Jo Jeong Eun

            Loving You Keeps Me Alive by Junsu and Jung SunAh

           Mina's Seduction and It's Over by Junsu, Jo Jeong Eun (and the other cast)

 

 

In the blanket of darkness, a lone figure walked hidden on the ledge of a building, reflecting his blackened soul on his clothes. He lurked from afar, away from the sight of the pair of lovers walking hand in hand along the Han River. If his heart were still beating and alive it would have bled and ached already. But no, he was not alive he wasn’t even fully dead. He was of the undead, the first of its kind.

Cursed for eternity to live in darkness until the day when his only light would willingly save him.

He scoffed at the idea. He was in this state because of the only woman he ever loved was killed by his enemies’ vengeance towards him. He ran amok until a shaman cursed him. He was condemned.

He didn’t mind the darkness. He lived each day just to exist and relive the memory of his lost days. He didn’t expect however that in a thousand years his light would come shining again.

It was five years ago that he felt a presence he had long forgotten - his Mina. He searched far and wide until he finally found her. She looked the same way as she did all those centuries ago. But he knew he couldn’t just appear in front of her and visited her dreams.

Pain flashed across his eyes at the loving gazes the lovers had exchanged. That gaze should only be for him and not for anyone else, he thought. Then he froze at the very edge of where he stood as the man knelt down and gave her a ring. He had long lived in this world to know what that means.

A long scream of pain and agony escaped his lips when she nodded, accepting the proposal.

---

It has been a month since Mina last had a dream of the man. She missed him even if she didn’t want to admit it. His presence comforted her in a way and gave her an odd sense of security. She hasn’t seen him but she had been hearing him.

His voice keeps echoing in her head urging her to remember everything, begging her to remember. Now she finds herself thinking more and more about him and she didn’t want to. He was not real and she had Kyuhyun. She loved him and he loved her that was all she needed.

            ‘Is he really?’

The voice in her head started again. She was in the middle of preparing for her family’s company anniversary. It was a masquerade ball and it was the biggest event of the year for Seoul’s social gathering.

            “get out of my head please.” She grasped her head with both her hands and begged. She didn’t like what she was feeling. She was beginning to feel something more for the guy from her dreams and it wasn’t right.

            ‘You’re the reason of my existence, Mina, the one love that keeps me alive. The one love that even years could not erase, come back and find the place that’s yours by my side.’

Mina bent forwards clutching her head. She wanted to cry. Her head felt like it was going to explode. Mina felt a wave of new emotions coursing through her.

Pain. Loss. Heartbreak.

Why was she feeling all this?

            “if you want me to remember then tell me, who am I?” Mina whispered.

            ‘you’re my own breath, my open wound. You know I still remain in your heart, right?

            “I don’t understand.” Mina started to sob. She was having all these emotions that didn’t know where it all came from. This great pull she was feeling was as if he was the one she loved.

            ‘do not run away from your own truth, Mina. Come to me.’

A white flash of light seemed to explode in front of her. Pictures zoomed in her head appeared in speeded succession. She started to see visions in her head. The man in her dreams smiling so happily she almost didn’t recognize him. In his arms was a woman who was also laughing with him.

Then it hit Mina. It was her! These weren’t visions; these were her memories.

Her vision changed, they were in a church getting married, the vision changed again and the man came running to her wearing his battle armor. She welcomed him home with an embrace. But it was then she noticed a man with a dagger standing a few feet away ready to strike him.

            “YESUNG!!!” Mina screamed. When she opened her eyes she felt a sharp pain in her chest and that when she knew what happened.

            ‘our bond is beyond time, we’re destined to be together. Come back to me once again. You’re the only one for me, Mina. The only light of my vain existence and only you can make me complete.’

Mina understood now. Somehow she was the wife of the man in her dreams from her past life. This man couldn’t be just from her dreams, she thought. He was real.

But there’s two things she was sure of, one, he wasn’t human and two, his name was Yesung.

 

---

 

The voice in her head left as if it had never been there and the party started in full swing. Politicians, businessmen and other important people were in attendance. Kyuhyun courteously introduced his fiancé to every single one of them proudly. Mina, however, was so preoccupied about finding out her past life that her mind just wasn’t in the party.

Kyuhyun noticed but she just told him she was just a bit tired. He believed her and brought her to a table a bit far from the crowd just beside the open balcony. The slight chill in the evening breeze comforted her and thoughts of Yesung slipped out of her mind for a few seconds.

But it was only until she felt a presence outside the open doors that she turned to look.

A man dressed in a black with a black cape and also black and gold mask was standing there just looking intently at her. Mina knew it was Yesung, she recognized those dark eyes. She stared at him then to the people at the party. This wasn’t a dream anymore this was real.

As if in a trance she slowly stood and walked out the balcony door. Yesung took off his mask and raised his other hand to her.

            “Yesung.” There was a soft caress in her voice and tears welled up in her eyes as she raised her hand and took his. She knew this was wrong but she didn’t know how long she could still resist his pull.

            “ah, I knew you would recall everything.” He said and kissed her hand.

A flood of warmth and happiness filled her entirely and she smiled. Memories filled her head as if it had always been there. As if she had experienced everything.

But she didn’t, all these memories are from a woman who lived centuries ago.

The smile on her face vanished and she took her hand away.

            “I may have the memories from the woman you think I am, but I am not her.” She said taking a step back away from him. But mentally, she knew that wasn’t all true, she had already fallen for him that’s why she agreed to date Kyuhyun.

Yesung just grinned his gleaming white teeth seemed to glow in the moonlight.

            “do you want me to tell you a story, Mina?” he sounded amused by Mina’s words. Yesung started to walk around Mina but she stayed put and he took her silence for a yes.

            “about a millennia ago, you might have known already, I was a soldier who fought for my country. I fought with everything on the line including my life and time with you.”

            “that woman wasn’t me!” Mina insisted again even though her memory was as clear as a crystal.

Yesung ignored her and continued.

            “I gained personal enemies along the way and one decided to personally kill me after they lost the war.” He paused and Mina saw him clench his fists tightly. “anyway I killed him, but when you died I lost my mind and took revenge on his village. Fueled by rage, I killed everyone in sight; their shaman was powerful and sacrificed his own life force to put the curse on me. From then on I became immortal but cursed forever to live in the night.”

            “what do you mean by live in the night?” Mina heard him stop behind her then she felt her hair being pushed back. Yesung buried his face on her neck and inhaled deeply. It made the hair on her arms and neck stand on end.

            “do you still not know what kind of a monster I am, my darling Mina?” he wrapped his arms carefully and softly around her waist.

Mina froze when she felt two sharp fangs run along her neck.

            “stop!” she exclaimed in panic.

            “I will not hurt you, Mina, don’t worry.” His voice was dark and sinister that Mina found it hard to believe if what he said was really true. “I didn’t believe what that shaman said about me getting saved. Since you weren’t there anymore, I didn’t care if I lived in darkness for eternity.”

            “so you have killed since then?” Mina’s voice shook. Yesung laughed darkly. He laughed so loudly it echoed sinisterly in the night and it made Mina feel slightly affronted as if she had been so foolish to ask such a mundane question.

            “Mina, I am a vampire, the very first of my kind. Surely, those ridiculous books and movies about us have taught you a thing or two about what we…eat.” He moved in front of Mina staring at her pale face. “you have no idea how many people I have killed to survive.”

“what did you mean before by ‘I have been called by many names’?”

“I get bored being alone for centuries so I like to play.” He didn’t sound remorseful and continued on at a leisurely pace. “Dracula, Jack the Ripper, Gap Dong, those people were me. Mexico was one of my favorites they never could figure out the right criminal and so easy to put the blame on someone else. Sometimes I try not to drink and sometimes I drink just enough to leave them alive.”

“have you turned anyone?” Mina asked, her voice slightly shook.

“I have.” Yesung shrugged. “more like out of a whim sometimes but in some cases I just needed someone I didn’t need to eat to be around with. I turned my bestfriend five years after I became like this and a few others more over the centuries.”

Mina was stunned. He truly was a monster and she felt repulsed, not at him, but at herself. Tears now streamed down her face and she hated that she didn’t hate him, she felt great sympathy towards him that he had to suffer like that for a millennia.

            “I hated seeing you cry before and I still hate it now.” Yesung raised his hand to wipe her tears but a loud banging made them turn towards the door.

            “Mina! Get away from him!” a tall man, buff and muscular with a strong jaw line and attractive features burst through the door followed by Mina’s fiancé, Kyuhyun.

            “ah, Choi SiYuan, how nice to see you here.” Yesung said unaffectedly.

            “get away from her, Yesung! Don’t you dare hurt her!” SiYuan warned.

To spite him, Yesung wrapped an arm around Mina’s shoulder.

            “oh I don’t know, maybe I will? Or maybe I wont.” He grinned showing them his fangs as he ran his fingers on the length of Mina’s neck.

SiYuan raised a cross in front of Yesung and the latter yawned. He flicked a hand and the cross burst into flames. With a yell, SiYuan dropped the burning cross.

            “the last time I saw you was eight years ago, right?” he grinned again. Then motioned to his neck. “how’s the bite?”

            “I’ll kill you, you monster!” SiYuan jumped at Yesung but he laughed so loudly that it rang in the air echoing creepily. Flipping his cape, he burst into a colony of bats and escaped into the darkness.

            “I will be back for you soon, my darling.” His voice echoed in Mina’s mind and she knew what he said rang true.

 

---

 

after that night’s fateful events, Kyuhyun had introduced Mina to an associate of his from China. He had dedicated his life to killing vampires after his family died at the hands of one. Yesung had left him bleeding on the streets of Beijing when SiYuan managed to track him down. It wasn’t Yesung that killed his family. That vampire was more theatrical than Yesung and less inconspicuous with his kills.

Yesung, a lot stronger than the other vampire easily defeated SiYuan. He didn’t kill him because from what Yesung told SiYuan when he left him unable to move on the street was that he liked the thrill of the chase.

Both men didn’t know about Mina’s real connection with Yesung and just thought he had deliberately taunted her before going for the kill. Mina didn’t bother telling them, because deep inside her she didn’t want them hurting him.

 

---

 

            “oh look! The prodigal dad has returned.” A teasing voice said as Yesung came in from the huge balcony door of the penthouse condo.

Yesung glared at the man who had with him three vampire girls on each of his arms running their hands all over his body and one on the floor mewling like a cat.

            “get a room, Heechul.”

            “touchy touchy.” He tutted and motioned for the girls to leave, both gave him a sad pout before exiting the room. “so I assume you didn’t get the girl?” he continued when they were alone.”

            “SiYuan interrupted.” He took off his cape and threw it into a chair.

            “tsk tsk, I told you you should’ve killed him back in Beijing but no, you wanted to be chased around.”

            “he wouldn’t have been hunting us if you hadn’t killed his family.” Yesung spat.

            “they were annoying and that little girl smelled so good, couldn’t resist.” Heechul replied unrepentantly. “besides SiYuan had killed a lot more of our kind.”

            “they will guard Mina more closely now.”

            “if they know of her connection to you they would, but if they didn’t I doubt it would be that severe.”

Yesung was silent and obviously brooded on something.

            “what’s on your mind, oh nasty one?”

            “I just feel it’s wrong for me to turn her, Heechul.” the doubt and the worried tone in Yesung’s voice made Heechul look at his friend more seriously.

            “since when did doing the wrong thing ever concerned you? Left anyone alive lately?”

Yesung chose to ignore the last part.

            “you know what will happen if she turns.”

            “I do, she’ll be a bloodsucking demon like we are, and will also become immortal etc etc. I don’t see why that’d worry your vampy , Yesung. As a matter of fact it’ll benefit you when she turns.”

            “yes, all me, what about her?” he turned to his friend. “would she want a life in darkness?”

            “who wouldn’t want eternal youth?” Heechul stood and did a twirl and gestured to himself. He had begged Yesung to turn him before because he wanted to be young forever. “this century even markets a lot of anti-aging products just so they could delay their inevitable aging.” He cackled.

Yesung stayed quiet. Mina wasn’t that kind of woman. She was innocent, smart and brave. Insignificant matters such as aging didn’t matter to her; she wasn’t vain.

            “SiYuan will go after her. He wouldn’t care if he knows her, all he will think is that she’s a vampire now and needs to be destroyed.”

He turned away from his friend and walked out of the balcony, turned into a bat flew away.

Heechul walked out after him and leaned on the door.

            “the time has finally come for you, my friend.” He sighed sadly watching his friend fly into the night.

 

---

 

It was near midnight when a soft ring of the telephone broke the silence in the large private penthouse that Yesung owned. With a drink of dark, red blood in a wine glass in hand, Heechul swung himself onto the arm of the couch and picked up the phone.

            “what is it?” he said after glancing at where the call was coming from.

            “sir, a Miss Mina is here looking for master Yesung.” The lobby security said monotonously. Yesung had previously hired this guard because he was one of his human servants.

Heechul’s eyebrow barely twitched in surprise. It had been a few days since the party and Yesung had been annoyingly morose for Heechul’s taste. Like now, he was on the topmost part of the building just staring at the night view of Seoul.

            “send her up.” Heechul said in a vaguely lazy drawl.

A minute later, the private elevator opened. Heechul set the glass down and walked towards Mina who looked nervous and unsure as she stepped out of the elevator. Heechul stopped in his tracks when he saw her.

He was initially skeptical as to Yesung saying that it really was his deceased wife. Even living for a millennia made him unsure of the reality of reincarnation.

Mina gasped when she caught sight of the man in the room. She didn’t hear his approach nor did she notice someone moving. He was still in the dark so she couldn’t clearly make out his face but she was sure this wasn’t Yesung for this man was thinner and lanky.

            “uhmmm…the security let me up.” She said in defense thinking the security might have sent her to the wrong floor.

            “yes.” Heechul said in almost a whisper. He was still in a state of disbelief. “you really do look like her.”

Mina was taken slightly aback. This man also knew her! He must have noticed her surprise and Heechul moved into the light. Mina gave a jump as she recognized him.

            “I know you.”

The man grinned.

            “you should, I was the best man at your wedding.” He smiled and gave a shrug. “sorry, I’ll get Yesung for you. Please sit down.”

Heechul turned and disappeared so suddenly that it was like he wasn’t even there in the first place. Mina started to look around the loft. It was almost bare save a couch, a dining table and a few decorations. The walls were painted white, beige with brown accents. It had a zen feel but even with that the huge apartment felt and looked empty.

            “Mina.” A low voice from behind her made her turn. Yesung was standing there; he looked breathtaking dressed in all black from his button-down shirt to his Italian leather shoes. “what are you doing here?”

he sounded slightly angry and torn that Mina was there.

            “I…I don’t know.” Her brows scrunched. She felt confused. Yesung had promised her he would be back for her but more than a week has passed and Yesung had not appeared or made his presence known to her. “but I am tired.” A tear escaped her eyes and rolled over her cheek.

What happened next both of them did not expect, Mina ran from where she stood and wrapped her arms around Yesung’s neck and hugged him tight as if it would be the last time she would ever do so.

Saying that Yesung was happy was an understatement; he was over the moon and the universe. His dark eyes contracted and his arms s around her and pulled Mina towards him even closer. The past nights had been torture, he spent it contemplating if he should continue to pursue and change her or not. It was only that night that he decided if Mina wanted to change he would change her if not and she wants him to leave her alone, he would graciously back off. If that would happen then it would truly be his curse turning full circle. To find his only source of life and to lose her just like that to another man and to live their life together that Yesung had lost all those centuries ago. That was truly his curse.

            “not that I’m not happy but what brought this on?” asked Yesung when they broke off their embrace. His hand ran through the side of her face, his eyes filled with adoration.

            “every time I am alone you’re the one I think of; in my every waking moment, and these memories in my head that I cant get out.” she paused her expression was troubled and torn like she wanted to say something but could not get the words out. Yesung didn’t need to be a mind reader to know what she was thinking. She doubted that he loves her for what she is now and only loved her for what she was all those centuries ago.

            “you are mistaken if you think there’s any difference between my Mina before and you now. You are Mina both then and now. I know it confuses you but trust me when I say you are my Mina.”

Mina looked up and stared into Yesung dark eyes. He really didn’t need to tell her to trust him because when he had reached out for her hand at the party, she had already given herself wholly to him.

            “let me be with you.” Yesung stared at Mina.

            “are you sure? there is no turning back, Mina.” Yesung asked. his selfish self wanted it so much but he couldn’t take away her freedom of choice.

            “it’s all I’ve thought about since that night. I am ready to leave everything behind and embrace this dream.” She looked up at Yesung and held his face with both her hands. “please.”

Mina ran a thumb along the vampire’s lower lip and it parted revealing his sharp elongated fangs.

            “this will hurt.” He said. But Mina just smiled and pulled her hair back to one side and offered her neck to him.

Yesung’s fangs throbbed with anticipation. Mina’s blood called to him and she did smell heavenly to him. Leaning forwards, he buried his face to her neck and inhaled her scent deeply, which sent goosebumps all over Mina’s body. Yesung’s hands s back to her waist and pulled her closer. With a small and the spot where her blood pumped, he sunk his teeth into her fair, sensitive flesh.

Mina gasped at the sharp stab and grabbed Yesung’s shoulders tightly. The feel of her blood gushing out and Yesung’s lips on her neck made her cling on to him even more tightly. After the initial pain, she felt tingly from her hands to her toes and Mina started to feel lightheaded. Just when she felt she was about to pass out. Yesung pulled back and with a small at the puncture marks; it disappeared. Weakly, Mina looked at Yesung, his eyes was changing from black to red then faded to black again. His mouth was red with blood and some of it trickled down the side of his lips. Mina wiped it with her finger and wiped it on her lover’s lips and he it gratefully.

Yesung lifted his wrist to his face and sank his fang into it. blood started to gush out and he offered it to her. Without second thoughts she clamped over his wrist and drink his blood. Yesung’s head fell back and with a hiss his mouth opened his fangs tingled and throbbed. A loud thump echoed through the room as Mina fell to the floor, unconscious.

 

---

 

a full day passed and Mina was still unconscious. This was normal, as her transformation would continue till the next night. Yesung never left her side and watched over her in his pitch-black room. He could see well and wasn’t inconvenienced by the lack of light.

Night came, and when the clock struck 12 Mina’s hand twitched. The side of Yesung’s lips pulled up into a smile. He leaned over and whispered to her ear.

            “open your eyes, my love.”

Mina’s eyes opened, eyes blood red. Her eyes moved in search for her lover and found him within a second. Her face broke into a smile and she sat up, lifting her back from the bed effortlessly. Mina reached out and touched Yesung’s face again and she felt tears well up in her eyes.

Yesung’s heart exploded with happiness and felt like he could run into the sunlight with no regrets of dying. He leaned over and for the first time, captured Mina’s lips with a kiss. In response, she grabbed Yesung by the neck and pulled him even closer and she deepened the kiss. Yesung smiled into it and held her waist.

It was like an explosion of something that waited to be released for years. Yesung’s millennia of waiting for his one true love and Mina for the lost piece of the puzzle she had always felt in her life were finally found. And in their kiss they lost themselves in each other’s arms, together forever, never to be separated.

 

Suddenly a loud bang from outside the room erupted and they broke from their kiss panting.

            “what was that?” Mina asked in surprise.

            “unwelcome visitors.” Yesung growled. He ran towards the balcony door and flung it open just when the intruders entered their room.

            “I knew that monster had you!” SiYuan looked livid when he saw Mina on the bed looking terrified. Then his eyes went to Yesung who was standing by the balcony. “I will kill you!”

Siwon growled but Yesung just stood there unfazed instead he smirked to antagonize SiYuan even more.

            “Mina, stay away from him, come on let’s go!” Kyuhyun appeared in the room looking breathless. A look of guilt washed through Mina’s face as she watched Kyuhyun’s hand reaching out for her.

She looked at Kyuhyun and then to Yesung who the stretched out his hand to her. With another apologetic look to her ex-fiance, she stood up and took Yesung’s hand. Kyuhyun and SiYuan looked flabbergasted and disbelief was etched into every inch of their faces.

            “Mina? What are you doing?” Kyuhyun asked disbelief in his voice.

            “Kyuhyun, I really did care about you a lot but…” her eyes swept up to Yesung’s, “…but he’s the one. He had always been.”

As the pair backed out further into the balcony, moonlight shone upon them and lit up Mina’s face and they finally saw her red eyes.

            “you bastard! You changed her!!!” Kyuhyun roared in anger and he lunged forward but SiYuan held him back as he knew what Yesung was capable of and also Mina stepped forward in front of Yesung.

            “yes, he changed me, but I asked it of him and he didn’t bring me here, I brought myself here.” Tears welled in her eyes again. “I am truly sorry Kyuhyun but all of this is my choice.”

            “and you die for your choice, you abomination!” SiYuan roared.

Out of his pocket he pulled out a bottle of glowing blue liquid and made to throw it at the lovers.

            “NO!” Kyuhyun pushed his hands away; the bottle flew out of SiYuan’s hand and landed on the floor 2 feet from the pair’s feet. It broke and liquid splashed everywhere a few drops hit Yesung’s hand and it hissed as the skin burned.

            “ultraviolet liquid. Sun in a bottle, smart eh?” SiYuan gave a sly grin. Yesung hissed. He grabbed Mina and both jumped off the balcony and exploded into a colony of bats.

Watching the couple fly away SiYuan rounded on Kyuhyun.

            “it’s all your fault they escaped! They are an abomination on this earth you should not have stopped me!”

            “Mina wanted this life. I love her enough to accept her choices. I wont stop you if you want to hunt down vampires, SiYuan but you should be careful on how you go on about it. if you keep letting your hot head and impulsive actions rule over you, then you could be in a lot of trouble.”

With that Kyuhyun left the room, a few seconds later the front door closed with a snap leaving SiYuan alone seething at the loss of his target.

A soft whimpering sound made SiYuan look up and stare around.

            “is anyone there?” he called out but was only answered by more whimpering in the seemingly empty and dark penthouse. SiYuan made to walk out of the room following the sound.

He checked every room but all turn out empty until finally he reached the small storage room in the kitchen. There he found three women all bound, gagged and blindfolded. He knelt and hurriedly took off the ropes that bound them.

            “how long did that vampire keep you here?” he growled taking off their gags and blindfolds.

            “We don’t know.” One cried, sobbing hard keeping her head down. “it’s been so long none of us could remember.”

            “he kept us here for blood.” Another said rubbing her aching wrists.

            “bastard.” He spat and stood up grabbing one of the girls’ hand. “let’s get you girls out of here first.”

Before he could move more that two steps, a pair of hands s around his waist sensually that SiYuan froze. The hand he held crossed each of their fingers and she ran her other hand up along his forearm. When the third girl stepped in front of him and pressed her body against his that was when he felt something was terribly wrong.

A shadow that darkened the already dark kitchen drained what’s left of the color of his face.

            “Dinner is ready.” A loud cackling laugh from the man that wiped out his entire family was the last thing he heard before darkness forever engulfed him into the abyss that he could never return.

 

----

done! pls leave a comment and tell me what you think..:)