Cherished

Cherished

Baekhyun sat under the tree with his hands folded into his lap, eyes closed to the world. The crisp autumn breeze caressed his body. Thoughts were scattered in his head like the broken leaves fluttering on the ground. One thought was prominent though: he only had one year left.

All Baekhyun's young life, he had dreams of going to college. Sure he had heard the horror stories of staying up to 2 am to finish a paper and countless others. He should have dreaded the thought, but he actually loved it. Baekhyun liked hard work and had trouble sleeping anyways. He loved writing papers as well. To him, college was perfect.

It was also an escape. When Baekhyun had started high school three years ago, he had been thrilled. He had only four years left until he would go to college. He just had to survive and make good  enough grades to get into the school of his dreams. And he succeeded in this plan.

Baekhyun had survived the first three years of high school. He was now at the beginning of his fourth and final year. He would be an early bird and start college the summer after he graduated. Already, he could practically taste the coffee at 3 in the morning and smell the textbooks he would study. He just had to make it through this year, and he could escape these people he called friends; he could begin a whole new life for himself.

"What are you doing here? You should be eating," said a warm voice in front of Baekhyun. Cracking his eyes open, Baekhyun looked at the owner of the voice.

"Minseok, you should be eating as well," replied Baekhyun as he closed his eyes again. Happy to see the other but too proud to show his dependency upon the other male.

"It would be odd not to eat with you," said Minseok as he sat beside the younger. Minseok was a year older than Baekhyun but still in the same grade. The duo had become friends their second year of high school because Baekhyun had no one to talk to, just like Minseok; naturally, the two found refuge in each other. Minseok was the one thing he would miss when he went to college. After all, the elder was his only true friend among a sea of fakes.

"What are you thinking about," asked Minseok as he began eating his lunch, watching the other male with kind eyes of amusement.

"One more year."

"It has only been a month, and you already done with school," joked Minseok.

"I have been done with school since I entered it."

"I know... Will you miss me," asked Minseok solemnly, his fork picking at the food he attempted to eat.. Startled by the question, Baekhyun straightened his posture and looked at Minseok.

"Of course. You are probably the only thing I would miss," said Baekhyun a little confused by the question.

"Really?"

"You are the only good thing in my life right now. Maybe if I had met you sooner I wouldn't be this way. Maybe I wouldn't be going to a university half way across the world," admitted Baekhyun as he continued to watch Minseok. The male had a slight blush on his cheeks.

"Have you decided where you will go," asked the elder as he tried to hide the blush.

"Yeah. There is a nice school in California. I will go there," decided
Baekhyun as he resumed his position before the other had shown up.

"What's the name of the school?"

"Berkeley."

"I hope you enjoy it in America," said Minseok a little sad.

"I hope so too. Anyways, where will you go," asked Baekhyun, trying to redirect the attention off himself.

"Maybe Yonsei. Or a university in Daegu. I don't really know yet," said the elder as he played with the leaf in front of him.

"Yonsei is pretty. Very prestigious. You should go," encouraged Baekhyun with a smile.

"I don't think I would get in."

"Just apply. It doesn't hurt to try!"

"Fine. I will," said Minseok with a smile to his best friend.

Minseok applied to numerous universities in Korea. Baekhyun applied to a surplus of colleges in America. Their last year together was coming to a close.

It was in January when they found out their fate was sealed. Baekhyun was accepted to several colleges, including Berkeley. He had decided the school was perfect for him and planned to stay all four years in America. Minseok got accepted into Yonsei beyond his astonishment. He told Baekhyun he might attend. As their time to graduate drew closer, Minseok became more solemn.

"Baekhyun?"

"Yes?"

"Are you afraid of going to America," asked Minseok during one of their usual evenings they spent in Baekhyun's room studying.

"A little. I am mostly relieved."

"Oh," replied Minseok timidly.

"I will miss you."

"I will miss you most."

On graduation night, Minseok cried. Baekhyun had too but only in the confines of his room. Minseok cried openly into Baekhyun's chest after they received their diplomas. The latter had simply wrapped his slender arms around the petite male, holding back the tears that threatened to spill.

"When do you leave," asked Minseok through sniffles and hiccups as they drove to the younger's house.

"Next week."

"I thought so."

One week later, Baekhyun walked onto the plane boarding for LAX. He would take a train to Berkeley and then a cab to the university. Despite his wishes, Minseok had not come to tell him goodbye. They had spent last night together, mostly just talking about their time with each other and all the embarrassing stories that could be told. Baekhyun would be lying if he said he was disappointed that he did not receive a farewell. But at least he had one last beautiful memory with the man. Nonetheless, his chest still ached and the tears still threatened to pour. And so they did, as the plane left the ground, and the lonely man watching the plane soar into the sky walked away from the one he cared most about.

As desired, Baekhyun spent his summer waking up at seven in the morning to go to class, coming back to the dorm at three after all his classes, and studying all night until it was five in the morning. He repeated this until August. Baekhyun was so drained of life by the end of the summer. He had no friends even though several had tried; Baekhyun was the epitome of antisocial and had always been. He was terribly lonely and missing the person most loyal to him.

Said man flooded his thoughts more than once a week. He missed Minseok more than any thing. The ache in his chest was numbed by long nights of coffee fueled studying. In fact, he seem more depressed than when he was in that city. At least he had Minseok with him to keep him company and comfort. The lone thought of Minseok depressed Baekhyun more; he spent many nights crying into his textbooks because of the fair skinned man. He had made a mistake, and it was all too much for him to bare.

This was not what he wanted. He wanted to go home with a presence by his side. He wanted to feel the warmth of his presence. He wanted the smell of musk and vanilla to fill his nose and body. He simply wanted Minseok.

At the end of the summer, Baekhyun had made his decision. He would forget about it all like he planned to. He would focus on his studies and maybe graduate early. Then, he would start his life as an accomplished young man. This was Baekhyun's plan, and he would follow it to the end.

And he did. He graduated one year early. He was 21 with a degree in architecture. By the end of this point, Baekhyun had permanent dark marks under his eyes and a frown to turn strangers away. Baekhyun was lonely, having never made a single friend. He got top marks in his class but not top marks in friendship. After many pleads from his mother, Baekhyun flew home after graduation. Happy to be home, Baekhyun spent all his time with his parents and family relatives.

It was one day during dinner that his mother brought Minseok up.

"Have you heard from that Minseok boy? The one who was inseparable from you in high school," asked Mrs. Byun as he began to serve the food. Baekhyun went stiff at the mention of the elder, his chopsticks almost falling to the floor.

"No. I haven't. Why?"

"Oh, he has been doing magnificent things! I saw in the papers yesterday that he was holding an exhibit of some kind. I was just wondering if you knew," replied the older woman as she continued her meal, ignoring the sad look Baekhyun had displayed at the mention of the young man.

Minseok was successful. Minseok was happy. Minseok Minseok Minseok. That was all that filled Baekhyun's head.

"Where is the exhibit," inquired Baekhyun, acting nonchalant as much as possible.

"Here in Seoul."

Baekhyun got a wild idea. He got up suddenly, bowing to leave the table. Hurrying upstairs to his room, Baekhyun logged onto the Internet and looked up the exhibit.

The exhibit was Friday, today being Monday. It was going to be held in a gallery in a downtown district of Seoul, a district known for rich, lavish apartments and fancy, grand shops. Baekhyun purchased a ticket without a second thought. It came in the mail a day before the exhibit, sending a rush through his veins as if an ice bucket had been dumped on the fragile man.

During that week, all Baekhyun thought about was that ticket sitting in the top drawer of his desk. This would be his ticket to see Minseok. He would finally get to see the man who had captured his mind so many years ago. These thoughts ran through Baekhyun's mind constantly, preventing sleep at night and awareness of others during the day.

Finally, Friday came for Baekhyun. He dressed in formal clothes, bow tie secured around his neck. In amusement, his mom watched from the doorway as he fixed his cuff links.

"I have never seen you dressed so well," chuckled the elder lady.

"I want to look nice," replied Baekhyun as he finished fixing his hair, sliding the last strand into place.

"He will think you look nice even if you go in sweats, dear. He always liked you in what ever you wore," commented Madam Byun with a chuckle. Startled by the comment, Baekhyun turned around to face his mother. A knowing look was on her face.

"How did you know," asked Baekhyun, his voice uncertain.

"I think I knew before both of you knew. Did you know he cried when he left?"

"How do you know? He did not come," answered Baekhyun as he stared down as his polished shoes.

"No, he came. I saw him at the airport. I sat with him as he cried. He regretted being such a coward. You should know he loved you dearly," answered Madam Byun softly. Baekhyun's eyes prickled as tears threatened to spill. His mom opened her arms for her son to enter. Baekhyun went into the embrace, hugging his mother close. Tears spilled onto the woman's lavender shirt as he shamelessly cried.

"I loved him too. I just didn't know until it was too late," sobbed Baekhyun as he lost himself in his disparity an loneliness.

"When did you realize?"

"The moment I entered the airplane. He didn't say goodbye, and I was so heartbroken. He was too much of a coward to even say goodbye."

"He was scared dear. He didn't know what to do without you. Just go tonight and work things out."

"But what if he doesn't want to see me? What if he tells me to leave and never come back? I don't think I could handle him saying that," responded Baekhyun as he pulled away to wipe his tears, his voice rugged from the crying.

"Just go and see. You never know until you try."

Baekhyun nodded and grabbed his ticket and wallet to leave. He gave his mother one last  encouraging hug before slipping out of the house and down the street. He lived in a different district far from the gallery was being held so he called for a cab to take him. Five minutes later, one came to drive him to his destination. Baekhyun was jittery the whole way to the exhibit, his hands fidgeting and his eyes wandering. A nervous sweat broke out across the man's body, making him panic more for he did not want to sweating buckets when he finally met Minseok after almost four long years.

"We are here. That will be 10, 300 won. Baekhyun paid the fare and got out, making sure he had his ticket with him. The taxi sped off, leaving Baekhyun to examine his surroundings. Many people were flowing in an out of the building he stood in front of, all wearing formal attire. The two story building was made of a white stone with large windows that glowed with dim light coming from inside, the door a revolving one like for fancy hotels. Baekhyun quickly entered, noting the dark hard wood floors that made the women's heels click with each step. A man in a suit behind a desk quickly addressed him, his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

"Ticket please," said the man in a stiff, nasally voice. Baekhyun handed over the ticket with shaky hands, receiving a questionable look from the other man. Nonetheless, the man took the ticket and stamped it before giving it back to Baekhyun.

"Enjoy the exhibit. Mister Kim will be on the second floor to give a speech soon," declared the man with a wave of his hand. Baekhyun bowed with a muttered thank you and scurried up the large staircase in the center of the room. Baekhyun noticed all of the people walking around to admire the man's work, sipping a golden liquid in flutes and munching on small crackers piled with different topping.

Baekhyun stared at the work that greeted him as he walked up, a painting hanging on a wall just across from the magnificent staircase. He walked closer, scrutinizing the brush . Baekhyun never cared for visual arts, preferring the musical and theater arts. Minseok appreciated them all. When they were friends, Minseok would draw while he studied, always carrying his sketch pad. However, he would never show Baekhyun his drawings. This was the first time he saw the man's art, and he felt a little uneasy about having to share the moment with so many strange people.

Overall, the painting was beautiful. Many pale flowers swirled around and when combined created a small face, the features not prominent except for the cherry blossom lips.  Baekhyun stood in awe as he began to move around the room to admire the paintings.

Baekhyun approached a large painting with dead, fall leaves combing to form a face with captivating eyes. Those eyes seemed so similar to him, looking at him with the kindest of crinkles.

"They are yours," came a warm honey voice from Baekhyun's side, shocking the man into the reality. The man beside him
chuckled but continued to examine the work of art.

"They must not be mine. For mine are not as beautiful," replied Baekhyun softly as he took in the features of the man beside him, no longer staring at the piece.

"And I feared I had gotten the color wrong. They are still just a beautiful," muttered Minseok as he faced the younger male with a kind smile that crinkled his eyes the way Baekhyun loved most.

"Minseok..."

"It is good to see you. I was hoping you would come," said Minseok.

"How did you know I was back," questioned Baekhyun with a confused look.

"Your mother. She was always a wise woman," chuckled Minseok as he began to wall to another painting with Baekhyun.

"I know. She told me you were at the airport that day...why did you not say goodbye?"

"Because I am a coward and a fool, Baekhyun. I always have been, and I always will be. I was afraid that if I saw you go...I would follow you," admitted Minseok as the stopped in front of several blue and cream flowers combined in such a way it created a teardrop against a pale featureless face.

"Why did you not follow," asked Baekhyun in despair, tears threatening to spill as his arm brushed casual against the other man's. Laughter came from a corner close to the duo, making Baekhyun realize they were in public. He quickly wiped his years away and put on a brave face.

"I did not want to cause you unhappiness. I knew that if you loved me as much as your mother said, you would come back...but you didn't. Until now," said Minseok softly, tears threatening to spill for him as well. Baekhyun tried to resist the urge to hold him and failed. Not caring that the couple was in public, Baekhyun wrapped his slender arms delicately around the slim waist. After a minute, Baekhyun spoke softly.

"Will you come home with me, Minseok."

The younger received a nod and allowed the other to pull away. He stepped a little to the side and gained his composure as the two began to walk again.

"Just wait an hour, and we can go. I have to make my speech right now. Please don't leave," asked Minseok with pleading eyes. Baekhyun gave a slight smile and nodded.

"I won't leave unless it is with you. Now, go do your speech," ordered Baekhyun, and with a wave of his hand, Minseok was across the room and up the stairs to the stage for his speech. Baekhyun continued around the room, noticing a piece of himself in each painting.

Baekhyun was sitting on a bench in front of one peculiar painting, champagne glass sitting idle in his hand with few sips taken. Suddenly, a warm body sat closely beside him, bringing a smile to Baekhyun's face and comfort to his mind.

"I think this one is my favorite," commented Baekhyun as he took in the soft pale brush against the harsh black canvas.

"It is my favorite as well. I call it 'Cherish,'" replied Minseok as he sipped from his glass, his eyes on the delicate figure beside him.

"What do you cherish, Seokie?"

"You," admitted the artist softly, his warm gaze turning to Baekhyun. Baekhyun looked at the elder with a fond smile. He slowly risen from his perch and held out his hand for Minseok.

"Let's go home. We have to catch up on all the time we missed."

Minseok gave a kind smile and secured his hand in Baekhyun's, interlacing their fingers tightly; it was as if the elder was scared that by the end of tonight, Baekhyun would still be in America, hundreds of miles away from his clutch. Baekhyun hailed a cab as the elder hugged him close.

"I am not leaving. I am not going back. No need to cut my circulation off," chuckled Baekhyun as he laid a soft hand on Minseok's that was wrapped around his arm. Minseok relaxed his grip as the cab came. Baekhyun slid in followed by Minseok; Baekhyun gave the directions to his house. Minseok stared at Baekhyun who looked out the window. The male was still as magnificent as he was four years ago.

"I missed you," announced Minseok without a thought. Baekhyun turned to face him with a smile across his face.

"I missed you as well. But you don't have to miss me any longer. I am sorry for not coming back. Honestly, I wanted to come back as soon as sat in my seat on the airplane. I was miserable without you," replied Baekhyun was his head down and tears starting to fall. Minseok placed one hand on the younger's thigh and the other to lift his fallen head.

"I understand why you left. You needed time away. But please don't leave without me again," pleaded Minseok as he wiped the tears from his love's face. Baekhyun gave a bright smile and nodded his head.

The two arrived at Baekhyun's dark house. It was late in the evening so of course his parents were asleep. The two crept inside and up the stairs to Baekhyun's old room. No one said a word until the door was closed and locked. Minseok wrapped his arms around Baekhyun's waist, staring into those brown orbs he had painted and dreamed of so many times.

"Oh how I have longed to kiss you," muttered Minseok as he traced Baekhyun's plush lips with his coarse thumb.

"Then do it," replied Baekhyun softly, his eyes pleading with other. Minseok gave into desire and kissed the man he had wished every night that he could hold close. The elder tasted of everything Baekhyun expected he would and more; he tasted of kindness and peppermint, love and champagne, passion and vanilla. Baekhyun deepened the kiss, wrapping his frail arms around the male. Pulling away from the kiss, Minseok laid his head against the younger.

"I love you, Byun Baekhyun. And I will always cherish you."