~ Chapter 105: The Star ~

The Fallen

***

“Oh my God…” Yoona gasped as she arrived at E.T. Corp with her husband, causing her relief of arriving in one piece to be short-lived. “What happened here?” she wondered, looking at the strange black goo scattered around the grounds. 

“I don’t know,” Ryo ran towards the entrance, entering his password to get in, but was denied access. As he struggled in hacking around the security system, his wife bent down to pick up a piece of fabric she thought she’d recognized. 

“Ryo, what color is Jae’s backpack?” she asked, studying the sturdy cloth that was smeared with the black substance. 

“I don’t know, honey,” he replied absently, typing furiously on the touchscreen near the door. He shrugged then since he could tell that his wife was a little more than distraught. “Green, I think? Maybe brown?” 

Yoona nodded a little, looking worriedly at the deep dark cloth in her hands. “Can’t you just break down the door?” she then asked, standing beside him now. 

“That’s not regular glass, baby, I need to disable the security system- for some reason the whole building is on lockdown.” 

“Why would it be on lockdown? Ryo, is our daughter inside?” Yoona tucked the cloth in her pocket watching him work the controls. They both looked up at the building when a low rumble rippled through the ground, a frightening roar filling the air. 

Yoona looked at her husband in worry, feeling slightly uncomfortable. “Is it just me, or, does this somehow seem familiar to you?” she asked him quietly as Ryo nodded. 

“Deja vu,” he shook his shoulders a bit, going back to the control panel, when Yoona had already beat him to it, punching in the sequence code he wanted to try out next. His jaw dropped when his wife managed to open the door this way. 

“How did you-?”

“Deja vu,” she repeated, an uneasy look on her face. 

Ryo nodded in understanding, grabbing his wife’s hand and pulling her with him as they entered the building. 

“Ryo, I don’t feel so good,” Yoona confessed, clutching her chest as she let her husband guide her through the dark hallways. 

“I’m worried, too, honey, that’s why we have to hurry and get to Jae.”

“No, that’s not just what I mean,” she tugged on his hand a moment and they stopped. Ryo was obviously in a hurry and Yoona realized the graveness of the situation, but she couldn’t shake the strange feelings she was having. Why did she kept seeing images of a butterfly flitting in her mind? Why did she remember hearing a voice come from it? She saw images of a far away world, drifting in and out of her head, like memories she never knew she had. 

“I’m scared, Ryo,” she whispered to him, tears springing into her eyes, though she was unsure why. “I don’t know why I feel this way, but I’m scared. I’m scared of losing Jae-, I feel so- I feel so sad,” she breathed. “Are we going to lose our daughter?” 

Ryo blinked at his wife before pulling her into a warm embrace. “Why would you say something like that?” he asked, though he quietly understood what his wife meant. He had to admit that he had been feeling out of sorts as well, as if something about the world was changing, and as a result, was changing him as well. He felt like he was waking up from a long slumber, but it didn’t feel like he was sleeping. 

He thought he was the only one that felt like they might lose Jae, even though he didn’t want to think that way at all. To hear his wife say the same things, made him worry, to say the least. 

“We’ll find her,” he told her, trying his best to reassure her. Then, he smiled and acted more determined and optimistic than he really was feeling. “Don’t worry, baby. Everything is going to be okay.” 

Ryo wished with all his heart that he would believe those words soon as well…

***

“Well then. Here we are. At the end of the world, facing one another again after so many years,” Mr. Yok’s voice reverberated, deep and strong. It commanded a certain air of authority- the kind that I knew he didn’t really have. When he smiled, I thought the earth rumbled just a little bit more, as if it was shaking out of fear of seeing a black snake smile. 

“The world was burning too that time,” he continued, disregarding the cowering Mr. Tabi, who had slowly crawled his way back to where his friend, Mr. Kang, was lying still. I felt relieved when the latter was still breathing softly. At least that told me that Luhan didn’t kill him- not that I thought he would. 

“Do you remember? You must’ve, seeing those scornful glaring from your bright eyes towards me tells me that you remember very well what I had done before,” he chuckled. “Ah, it nearly makes me feel so nostalgic. Good old times,” he grinned broadly and I could barely hide my contempt for him. We were all silent, watching him, watching his every move, paying attention to everything. He may seem harmless in his human form, but his energy said otherwise. He was powerful in his human shape and even more so when he turned into the Black Imoogi. 

“Here we are again,” he announced, arms opened wide like a welcoming gesture. “Who would’ve thought?” he mocked. “Though, I don’t see why you still persist in wanting to do this, my dear children!” he implored in feign, clasping his hands together in exaggerated fashion. “Have you forgotten what happened the last time you tried to oppose me? Should I remind you?” he asked mockingly. “BOOM!” he then exclaimed with another laugh. “Goodbye, Exo planet, goodbye, Exo-Locals, goodbye Tree of Life!” His jolly tone of voice turned darker now, more grave, more serious. 

“You were the ones responsible for the death of your precious planet, and of all the Exo-Ls that once called that forsaken spit of land their home. You killed them and you killed your most cherished Tree. And all because you failed to stop me, failed to adhere to my wishes, my commands, my terms!” he shouted, eying all of the boys before his sight settled on me and his nostrils flared. The muscle beneath his eye twitched, his hands balled to tight fists against his sides.

“And you,” he spat out, eyes gleaming. “I don’t know who you think you are, but I remember you only as a nuisance. A very annoying thorn in my eye, my dear.” 

“Well, I do my best,” I replied, stepping back when he hissed at me. 

“You would do well not to anger me further, my love. You cost me my greatest treasure once,” he eyed the dagger now, his eyes turning hungry for it. “I will not let you foil my plans again!” 

“Yeah, and yet the way I see it, dude; I’m the one with your precious dagger, whereas you’re without one. I’m pretty sure the odds are tipped in our favor,” I knew full well that provoking this power-crazy nutjob was the last thing I should do, but there it was. There were the words that just flew out of my mouth like Superman soaring away to save Lois Lane from certain death. Maybe I was just still in my high of having connected with the boys. Their energies were still soaring through me and the amount of energy heightened, purely because we all knew that we were facing the greatest enemy. 

But, what would happen now? I mean, it wasn’t like this man was lying or trying to scare the living out of us- his threats were real. He had succeeded in bringing down the Tree of Life before. Heck, just moments ago he even managed to kill Miss Kumiho and even his own brother. This was not someone to mess with, but the thirteen of us stood against him anyway. We knew the consequences. 

Tao and I had managed to turn back time, and I knew that was the only time we could. Anything that happened from here on out was going to be irreversible. Was I ready for that? 

The dagger burned in my pocket as I saw flashes of a former life cross in front of my eyes. I saw my own death all over again. But there was more. My dream. My parents talking to each other each other about something. 

We’ve come here every day. I don’t think anyone is listening, Mom had said. 

Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure of that, Dad answered and then smiled at me. Why would I remember that dream? It didn’t mean anything, did it? 

“Time is running out,” Mr. Yok breathed impatiently. “We can do this the hard way or the easy way. No matter which option you choose, I will win at the end.” 

“You know, you talk a lot,” Baekhyun interrupted him, spitting fire from his eyes. “You think we’re still afraid of you? We’re not!” he stated determinedly, a sword made out of the purest of light appearing in his hand. “And you’re not getting that dagger. We won’t let you win.” 

Mr. Yok’s nostrils flared again in annoyance, his eyes glowing with anger when he looked at Baekhyun. “You dare interrupt me?! I am the Black-,” before he could even finish his sentence, a sharp, crisp bolt of lightning shot towards him, zapping his body as he flew backwards because of the impact. 

My mouth fell open and I looked at Chen, wide-eyed. 

“Chen!” Suho hissed, looking like he was about to have a severe heart attack. 

“What?” he asked casually. “Oh, as if none of you were thinking of doing the same thing,” he shrugged. 

“That was the Black Imoogi, Chen!” Suho exclaimed again, at the verge of what appeared to be another nervous breakdown. 

“So?” Chen replied with a smirk. I thought Suho was fit to blow, raising his hand as if he was about to smack his younger brother. But then, he hit his shoulder instead, patting Chen on the back. 

“Good job,” he breathed quietly. 

“So, what’s the plan now, what do we do?” Baekhyun asked. 

“We fight him, hyung!” Kai stated immediately, looking buzzed and ready to go. He was continuously surrounded by black smoke now, his red eyes shimmering eagerly. I felt all of their energies pulsate towards me, while I pumped back some energy of my own. We kept each other strong this way, but I was feeling tired. That was probably the downside of being a powerbank- sooner or later, this battery is going to be depleted. 

“But fighting him won’t solve anything, Kai,” Sehun noted. “We still need to make that Tree!” 

Our heads snapped up when a low, chilling laughter echoed from the darkness of the forest, a daunting, black shadow growing in height, slithering towards us. 

“I’m endlessly amused by how you fools believe to stand a chance against me,” he started, looking larger than ever, more vicious than before. “Before the blood of the moon is cleansed, I shall erect a new Tree with the blood of fallen guardians, and this world shall be mine!” he hissed, eying the dagger that I still kept in my pocket. 

“You destroyed our home before,” Suho stated with a deep, booming voice. “This time, we’ll destroy you,” he announced, a wall of water of the brightest blue rising like a tidal wave, crashing against the surprised serpent. It wasn’t before long that the Black Imoogi retaliated and it knew exactly whom to target. 

I stepped back out of instinct and shot a blast of light towards the hissing creature as the boys started the attack. I was told to stay back since it wanted the dagger and I swore that I would protect it with all my might. The feeling of deja vu overtook me once more as images of a former peasant girl threw the dagger into the sky while she watched twelve stars fall. That time I died. Would this time be different? 

I felt at one with the boys, was sensitive to the energies I felt pulsating around me. I was with Kai as he attacked the Black Imoogi, appearing and disappearing in smoke, driving the creature mad. I was with Chanyeol when he flew around the snake along with Kris, both of them scorching the thick, hard skin. While fire came from above, water and ice attacked from below. Xiumin froze the earth beneath the serpent to prevent it from moving too much while hardening Suho’s water so that he could attack with crystal shards. 

Baekhyun and I were of one mind when he blasted white light near the Black Imoogi’s eyes. The lights burst like fireworks, causing Mr. Yok to screech in pain. When the light dissolved, he snapped his eyes open, those eyes that had the same color as mine when I was in wolf-mode and they shot fiery daggers at me. 

“Enough!” he shouted, spinning furiously around to keep the others at a distance when he suddenly dissolved into the shadows. A black mass shot across the room, faster than Kai, attacking whomever crossed his path. 

“Oh no, you don’t!” Chen created a large snake of lightning which followed the shadow around. He managed to draw the black snake back into a solid form, but Mr. Yok was obviously enraged and wouldn’t be taken down so easily. 

The earth rumbled when twelve guardians faced the black snake head on. The sky was trembling and falling apart at the excess of energy cramped in such a tight area. I was with the boys when they fought, granting them the extra strength they needed to battle it out with the Black Imoogi. But, I’d be lying if I didn’t say that my mind was distracted. 

Sehun was right. We still needed to create a Tree. Perhaps being connected with the boys at the same time brought consequences with them that I wasn’t ready to face yet. Like the memories. Memories, lost and found, flashing before my eyes at a moment where I needed to be focused. When I looked at the battle that was raging, the scenery switched between what I saw now, and between what I had seen, once upon a time. The forest became an abandoned, scorched field. The dark sky became red again. Twelve stars fell once more and that feeling of melancholy danced on my heart. Everything mixed and mingled in my mind, up to the point that I didn’t know what was real and what was a memory anymore. 

Suddenly I saw what Luhan had described seeing in his dream. A young woman standing at the platform, someone who looked a lot like me, telling me that the world was ending because the sky would fall. But then I’m brought back to the dream I had about my parents, and why that tugs on my heartstrings, I don’t know… 

I jolt up when I see the Black Imoogi fight back with all he’s got. There were twelve guardians, amped up on extra strength fighting against him and he still was powerful enough to take them on. Even though we were contained in the fake forest, in my eyes, I saw wide open spaces, remnants of Exo, burning and freezing at the same time, thunderstorms and powerful hurricanes sweeping through the lands. 

We’re not going to win this, a sober voice said in the dark corners of my mind. We’ll lose. Not just our lives but our home as well. 

I gasped at seeing the Black Imoogi spit out black flames towards the boys. D.O. summoned a large wall of earth to protect us, while Lay pushed Luhan out of harms way in time. The forest was set on fire, the holographic animals panicking and running away- were they holograms? Or were they real? 

I’d been walking backwards during this time of confusion and when I looked behind me, I saw the edge of the ravine that lead into the leylines. The boys were fighting so hard, but the Black Imoogi was relentless. It kept looking for me, trying to get closer. 

“Give me that dagger!” he bouldered like thunder. “I will not lose it a second time!” he slammed half the boys away from him while he slithered towards me, but everything seemed to slow down around me. Like I was watching a movie that was lagging. 

My breathing slowed down significantly as well, each breath sounding heavy and labored, as I watched the scene before me. I should focus, I know that, but I kept thinking about my parents, thinking about the people I’ve met here, on this strange, unknown island. I stared at the boys, their energies so familiar to me that it nearly hurt. And then- the memories of never feeling like I belonged anywhere. They scared me, those feelings. But not as intensely as they did before. I blinked at feeling the dagger burn in my pocket and when I held it up, I was mesmerized by the green heart pulsating on top of the hilt. From behind it, I saw a black mass make its way closer towards me, the boys regrouping to protect me. The situation far too familiar for me to bear.  

I watched as Mr. Yok had his eyes set on the dagger in my hands, and it hurt me- physically - to see those eyes that looked so much like Yongsun’s- so much like mine. I saw my own golden eyes reflect in the shine of the blade and seeing my reflection inside of it made me stop. I was looking at myself as if I saw myself for the first time, which was ridiculous, but somehow, it made sense to me…

I gasped at feeling a warm hand on my shoulder, the gentle energy of a healer running through my body, taking away the fear and hesitation I had been feeling all this time. Lay’s mouth was forming my name, but I couldn’t hear him. 

Another blast made me cringe, but I didn’t fully register it. D.O. was calling out to me, I think, but why was his voice so faint? 

Was this the moment where all else had led up to? Was it here and now that we had to decide the outcome of saving the world or watch it be destroyed by this crazed, power maniac from another planet? This couldn’t just be it, could it? Was it here that we were going to lose? 

Wake up, Jae. You must wake up! 

Yongsun? I looked around, but saw nothing. I didn’t see the White Imoogi anywhere. All I saw was his Black counterpart, spitting out black flames and poisonous fangs. 

If he kills us, kills me all over again and obtains the dagger this time, the world will be lost. Which was really an understatement. He’d probably end up creating this world into his personal hell, his paradise, where the blood of the innocent flows like rivers over the scorched lands. Where the sky will remain endlessly black and red, where the people wither and die under his reign. Could I allow him to do that to our home? 

Hell no. Of course not! 

I blinked and looked at the dagger a second time. Think, Jae, come on! How do we create another Tree? Even if we do end up defeating this psycho, it won’t save the world! I thought a little harder, seeing the pack give their all to fight Mr. Yok. I didn’t have much time left. I felt my own energy slowly depleting… 

It’s a heart. A beating heart, I rambled to myself, lost in thought. The leylines are the blood, the veins, the arteries of the heart. Mother Earth must be its body, and if that’s the case… 

For no apparent reason, I suddenly felt a single tear roll over my cheek. I saw it glisten like a little star in the reflection of the blade. And within it, was a white wolf, pure as snow, telling me the words I’ve been hearing all this time: 

Wake up. 

I bit my lip whilst staring at the dagger, finally grabbing it tightly and slashing my hand open. 

“Jae! What the hell are you doing?!” Luhan had seen me and it alerted the others, but I ignored them for now. I watched in mild fascination at how the dagger absorbed the blood through the blade, the heart pulsating just a bit stronger. I gulped at this and Yongsun words hit me like a ton of bricks. I think I understood now. I think I know why he wanted me to wake up. And looking up at the Black Imoogi, who had been eying everything I had done, I realized that the snake knew as well. 

“Impossible!” he hissed angrily. “Impossible!” he repeated. 

And I wished for once, that he was right. I didn’t want this to be possible either, but the past moments cleared my mind. My heart thumped in my chest, a lump forming in my throat. 

“I killed you!” Mr. Yok shouted, making the earth tremble. “I broke your puny body with my own strength! I watched the light die in your eyes! You’re no more but a pathetic peasant girl!” he spat out. 

I glanced at my palm where I cut myself with the dagger, and saw that the wound was no longer there. 

I felt strangely calm when I looked at the Black Imoogi this time. I even managed to smile. 

“A peasant girl that stopped you once from gaining power,” I nodded. “A peasant girl, who’ll stop you, again,” I added to irk him as I looked at the confused boys, watching the interaction worriedly. 

“Jae?” Kris landed on the ground with a thud. Sehun, who stood closest by me, reached for my hand, but I wouldn’t let him touch me. Instead I smiled at him and caressed his cheek before stepping back, slowly, subtly. 

Wake up

I knew how to create another Tree now, and oddly, this was the clearest my mind has ever been. Everything made sense now. I understood it all. Even though the knowledge scared me, I was at peace with what I had to do, how I knew what to do to help the boys, to save our home. 

“Noona…?” Kai asked warily, watching me without batting an eye. 

“Jae, get away from the ledge, you’ll fall!” Xiumin warned, a distinct sound of distress laced in his voice. 

I looked at all of them, and even though their faces were contorted in worry and confusion, in my mind I saw them as I wanted to remember them; smiling and carefree. Happy. 

“Jae, what are you doing?” asked Suho. 

I gave him a small smile. “I remember,” I said to him. 

“Remember what, noona?” Tao asked, looking like he was about to cry out of desperation, but kept himself strong. They could feel it. I was connected to them, after all. I didn’t want them to feel that way, so I focused my energy, sending them my true feelings instead. Feelings of warmth and comfort. Feelings of gratitude. Feelings of love. This only upset them more. 

“Noona, give me the dagger!” Chen said, his voice breaking, hand reaching out towards me. 

“Do as Chen says, noona!” Baekhyun added. 

“Please!” Chanyeol cried out. 

“Don’t block me out, Jae, not now! What are you planning?!” Luhan yelled, but of course I didn’t answer him. I felt the tears sting my eyes again, but this time I wasn’t sure whether they were tears of sadness or of joy. 

“Jae-yah?” hearing Lay’s fragile voice nearly made my heart sink into my stomach, but I still didn’t quite respond. Even when I caught D.O.’s gaze, I didn’t cave in. He was silent, but watched me, eyes searching for an explanation in mine, eyebrows knitted in a frown that nearly said “please, don’t do this”. 

“It’s okay,” I whispered to them. “I remember now. I’m waking up,” I said, holding up the dagger. 

“Don’t you dare!” the Black Imoogi hissed, desperately trying to get closer. “That dagger belongs to me- you little !” 

I glared at him this time, making sure he saw the calm anger in my eyes when I replied, “It never belonged to you,” I breathed. “And it never will.” 

I held the dagger in both hands, holding it tight against my chest while stepping back. A little butterfly flitted past me at that moment, and I took the chance to watch it for a second before it disappeared again. 

“Jae, get back here!” D.O. finally opened his mouth to speak. A pregnant silence fell when I smiled at my pack. 

“It’s okay,” I told them, turning around to look at the abyss below me. “Trust me,” I implored. 

JAE!” someone shrieked out of the blue, and I stepped back from the ledge a little, startled. 

“M-mom? Dad! What are you doing here?!” I called out, Lay immediately placing a protective barrier around them when Mr. Yok attempted to attack them to get to me. 

“We’re here for you, baby! Please, come back home!” Mom called out, tears spilling from her eyes. She didn’t even seem to be impressed by anything else that was going on around her. She only had eyes for me. 

“Let’s talk this through, Jade, please,” Dad begged. “I know what you’re trying to do, but this is not the solution!” 

“I’m sorry,” I told them. “You’ll understand one day,” I tried to tell them, but I felt myself tearing up as well. The boys concentrated on stalling Mr. Yok, while at the same time they were worrying for me. They tried to make sense of my words, but I knew I couldn’t be persuaded anymore. Not even by them

“Baby, let’s sort this out together, like a family,” Mom then tried, gesturing with her hands to get me to follow them. “You and your friends, away from this madness!” 

They jumped in fright when the black snake was zapped back by Chen, but they made no attempts to move away. They stood where they were. 

“We’re your parents, Jae,” Dad suddenly said, but there was a sadness in his voice that I didn’t miss, and I knew that I heard it. His shoulders slump, adam’s apple bobbing up and down. I wasn’t the only one who remembered now. 

I smiled gently at them, tears escaping my eyes. 

“But, you’re not, are you? Not really,” I said with a brave smile that I hope would comfort them. “It’s okay,” I said again. “Thank you, for everything,” I said, the boys obviously not liking the finality of those words. 

“I love you,” I whispered to them, and Mom heard the words. She clung to Dad and I didn’t want to see them like that. 

“Protect them,” I asked the pack, and I looked up at Luhan when he forcefully grabbed my wrist. 

“What are you doing, Jae? What are you planning?” 

Without a word, I leaned forward, stood on my toes and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. This surprised him enough to loosen his grip. 

“Take Lili to the dance,” I whispered to him, Luhan blinking at me. 

I stepped away from him, looking at each of them individually before nodding and focused my attention on the Black Imoogi. 

“There is no place for your kind of darkness in this world,” I told him. “But since you love it so much- I hope you’ll drown in it!” I connected with the Black Imoogi, in order to command the darkest shadows known to man to gather around him, and I made sure that he watched what happened next. 

He reached helplessly towards the dagger in my hand, trying to slither towards me to grasp it. But the shadows held him back, scratching against his scales, which peeled off at the touch.

“It’s mine!” he grunted, yelping in pain. “I killed you once, I’ll kill you again!” he threatened in vain. 

I smiled at this. “No. You won’t,” was my reply, which silenced him. He watched in terror as I stepped back, knowing exactly what to do. 

I looked at friendly faces, at the boys, hoping they could feel my sincere apologies, my true feelings towards them. I closed my eyes, a smile on my lips as happy memories, old and new, filled my mind. 

They shouted for me. They tried to reach towards me. They ceased their attack on the Black Imoogi, moving forward to stop me. These twelve, gifted boys, who had done everything in their power- since the very beginning - to try to protect me from harm, were forced to watch how they failed to protect me from myself. 

I didn’t want to leave them. Of course I didn’t. I never intended for my parents to get so involved, but there they were- clinging onto each other as they could do nothing against the actions of their stubborn daughter- well, their only daughter.

However, despite all of this, I couldn’t help but feel so elated. Like all of this was bound to happen. All this time, Yongsun must’ve known, but opted not to tell me - which was for the best. 

I swallowed, taking a deep breath and only feeling peace. 

With a smile, I plunged the dagger into my chest and fell into the darkness like I was going home. 

***

Random Rambles: This took me too long to update, I apologize! So much got in the way OTL.... kind request, if you don't mind: I love getting feedback and comments from you, but if you wish to speculate about what happens next, or wish to guess what role Jae plays in the story, you can always PM me ;) I fear for possible spoilers (though at this point perhaps it's not so hard to guess anymore ^^;) As usual, thank you all for your support and kind words! I appreciate it so much and I'll continue to work on the story since it's almost finished~ (FINALLY lol) until next time my squishies! (I've decided to call you all squishy, is that okay? Some of you call me author-nim, and that reminds me of D.O.'s character in It's Okay, It's Love xD) <3