One of Them

One of Us

It wasn't supposed to turn out like this. Screwing up had been the last thing on her mind, yet it was just what had happened. After two months in someone else's shoes, Namjoo was certain she'd verified her sister's murder. Then this happened. 

The guilt triggered in her mind just grew more. Even when she'd pledged to walk out the door as soon as she woke up, here she was in the bathroom scrubbing herself clean. Her body ached, especially between her legs. Marks she discovered while scrubbing made her want to cry in apology. 

She couldn't understand this. Why she'd so easily given him to the charm gnawing at her yesterday. First of all, she'd realized that coming to this place for business with him was dangerous - not in the sense that he would hurt her physically, but that it was emotionally dangerous. 

She was in the wrong, totally; blameworthy and responsible. No one was at fault, but herself. Deep inside that chest of hers, she'd been irresistibly attracted. 

What a fool. Now everything was ruined. 

Becoming attracted to that person who was most suspicious in her sister's death was her highest fault. Turning the water off she grabbed a hotel blanket, dried herself until not a drop of water was left, dressed and was out the door. The time read six in the morning. Before walking out the bedroom door with her bag she twisted and glanced back at Sehun, who was still deep asleep. Helplessly, her eyes traced the sheets covering his body and ended up biting her tongue. 

"Idiot!" She scolded herself. 

Pursing her lips she swung the door open and finally left the hotel. They weren't far away from the capital city where her dead twin's home was. It would probably be a half-hour trip back home and Namjoo didn't feel too bad about taking the underground subway. Surrounded by a crowd of strangers made her feel glad that she'd cleansed the overnight stench of sweat off her skin. If she hadn't done so, she could only imagine the stares she'd be getting. Though she never cared about how she smelled before, after entering this sudden life full of attention Namjoo had changed her ways. 

The sun was starting to strike the sky when she finally followed the rest of the busy crowd outside. Immediately blinded Namjoo quickly shut her eyes to deflect the light. The strangers coming up behind her pushed and shoved her without apology. Grumbling, she grabbed a cab the rest of the way home. 

The second the high gates shielding her 'now' home from trespassers appeared she sighted a familiar back, broad and strong trying to peek inside. His stark black hair made him recognizable anywhere.

Tao twisted around upon hearing her close the cab door, quickly making his way to her. 

"Where've you been?" Tao questioned, his tone swarmed with concern. "You suddenly went missing without saying anything."

"Ah..." Namjoo managed and thought back to how she'd spent the night in another city. 

In the ring of Tao-Kai-Sehun, only Kai and Sehun seemed to get along externally, while Tao didn't fear to express his dislike of the two. If she spoke of their relationship internally, she could sense some questionable tension between Kai and Sehun. Even now, she still couldn't grasp what the problem between the three were, but she was in the midst of trying to solve the puzzle within the whole circle - that including Hayoung, who was nice to her sometimes and on another note, sometimes a . 

"Hayoung was looking for you all night. The elders at the business were pressuring Kai to locate you," Tao explained without a breather. "Were you with Sehun?"

Her eyes never strayed from his. Anxiousness was scurrying everywhere on his face. 

"Did he find out?!" 

Among them all, Hayoung and Tao knew she wasn't the real 'Choon Hee'. That being the case, Hayoung was the one to discover her and Tao becoming her aid in the process.  

Everything was just so difficult.  

"Did he do anything to you?!" His voice, loud and clear, echoed around the empty road.

"No," Namjoo answered. "I was just...out at play. You know..." 

Narrowing his eyes, Tao continued, "You should be more careful. What if your parents suspect something, worst yet; what if people begin to recognize you? You're already a part of the conglomerate, so don't do anything foolish from now on. If you want to go out, let me know first. That way if anything happens, I can help cover for you."

Someone who over-worried was how she'd categorize him, but among everyone else Tao had been the kindest; the only one she could really trust. And he was the only one who knew she'd been getting closer with Sehun lately. 

"I got it." She assured. "Is that why you came here?" 

"There's going to be a big dinner tonight," Tao told, "with Kai's parents, but I bet everyone else will be there. You're expected to be there pronto. It's about your wedding anyway." 

The wedding. That was right. She was supposed to be getting married now in the place of her dead twin. 

All the information she had gathered thus far had summarized everything as she could understand: Sehun was Choon Hee's boyfriend, but somehow things got turned over and he became her ex. Now Choon Hee was supposed to be getting married to Kai - her friend, but before marriage proceedings her adoptive parents were called on a trip out of the country; that giving her the chance to go to the clinic where she never returned from. As assumed from Hayoung, Choon Hee died from tremendous blood loss and to immediately replace the twin, sought her out. 

There was also something suspicious about Hayoung Namjoo couldn't quite grasp. Why, instead of telling the truth that Choon Hee was no longer alive, had she wanted to quickly replace her own friend? Namjoo had missed the chance to dwell deeper on the question, but stopped when Hayoung put the angry blame on Sehun, Tao, and Kai. Then things just stemmed from there.

Kai was a nice man, apparently passive and easygoing in nature. He tended to help her whenever she screwed up at work, would eat lunch with her so she wouldn't be by herself, and brought her coffee in the early mornings. Apart from the others, he involved her in social gatherings to help her get along with business goers. And she could tell that he really liked Choon Hee. 

Unlike him, Sehun stood on the bit of the aggressive side carrying the persona of someone cold...and confusing as she got to know him more. Sometimes he was nice to her; making her heart flutter. Then on other occasions, he'd be either scolding her, ignoring or giving her the cold shoulder. From what she'd gathered, he'd been closest to Choon Hee relationship-wise since she was fond of him. 

Helper Tao, like Hayoung, had been a simple friend; one to go to in times of stress. Whenever an argument broke out between Sehun and her twin, she'd go to him for comfort. Tao being the bystander had seemingly taken the role as someone who watched the drama unfold. And now, he was also her great friend. Majority of the time, Tao was the only one who would tell her about Choon Hee's lifestyle, her persona, and her relationships - most of the information Namjoo needed in order to carry out her identity successfully. 

"You're home?" Her mother greeted when she walked in through the door. 

"Where've you been?" Her father asked, currently at the table having his breakfast. "You should be more careful. People will start talking if you continue doing as you like."

Choon Hee's adoptive parents were both on the tall and lean side. They were handsome individuals very much into socializing. Namjoo could tell they had a big network of friends since they were seemingly outgoing.                   
                                                    
"She's probably nervous about the wedding. Let her be," her mother defended. 

"Sorry," Namjoo apologized. 

On one part, she was still awkward around them. She couldn't be sure how Choon Hee behaved around them, but as she'd understood from Tao, they weren't close. 

"It's all right. Go on upstairs and get some rest. We're going out to get your makeup done and find a dress for you. Tonight's dinner is extremely important." Her mother gently explained. 

Nodding, Namjoo started toward the staircase to the room twelve times bigger than the alley she once called home. Doing as told, she dropped onto the giant fluffy bed about to close her eyes. She wished the pain in her body would quickly reside, although it didn't hurt as much as when she'd woken up. For one thing, she was glad she'd ditched the dress Choon Hee's closet was full of and opted for her usual casual wear. If anybody had seen the red marks on her legs, she'd want to die. 

The ringing of the phone awoke her. Namjoo hoped to ignore it at first, but the longer it rang the more annoyed she became. Praying that it wasn't Sehun she answered. 

It was Hayoung. 

"Where are you?!" She asked, anger toning her voice. 

Namjoo barely pulled the phone away from her ear. "Home." 

"You better be home. If I find out you're still in Incheon with Sehun, I'm not letting you off."

Determining whether that was a threat or not was difficult. Hayoung was supposed to be a good friend of Choon Hee, but she seemed to be what Namjoo would call two-faced. At first, Namjoo had the impression that she had a thing for Sehun. In most cases while in the presence of them both, Hayoung tended to be bitter toward him; that throwing Namjoo's theory off. Then on another hand, it was always about Sehun when Hayoung spoke. 

What was it? 

"Why would I lie?"

"Don't pretend with me," she warned, "I know you both met with Professor Gong last night and never came back. Don't you forget you're getting married and what role you're playing. If you dare to have an affair, get ready to go to court first." 

Namjoo pressed her teeth together. 

"Tonight your wedding date is going to be declared, so after that don't meet with Sehun anymore." 

The click of the phone told her Hayoung had hung up. Throwing her arm out she heaved a heavy sigh and stared up at the ceiling. Since taking on Choon Hee's identity her world was noisy twenty-four-seven. Not a day went by without one of them calling her up; it always triggering some kind of response from someone else. 

It was so taxing.

Turning onto her side to curl up she ended up napping for several hours before being awaken by her mother. The trip to the salon lasted barely three hours. Getting used to those black lines drawn around her eyes were tricky. It tickled every time the stylist did it for her. Besides all that, Namjoo took to her advantage feeling like a queen in that chair while the woman prettied her up. 

What was most difficult came next. Her mother wanted her to wear a dress and Namjoo's heart literally dropped all the way to her feet. After a long ten minutes of persuading Namjoo finally grabbed some black nylons to save herself. By the time they walked out of the store it was already time for dinner. 

"I forgot something in the car, why don't you go on up first?" Her mother suggested when they were near the entrance then turned to her father, "Come on, honey. I need your keys." 

Heaving a sigh and grumbling her husband followed after saying, "Go on up first." 

Fall was kicking in and summer had already been kicked out of the sphere. Chilly winds slapped her body forcing her to hurry inside. Accommodating herself to how lavishly the rich lived, eating out at some five start hotel just for a meeting, really left her in awe. Namjoo stared at the golden doors of the elevator while waiting for the lift and raised a hand to touch her hair. The good thing about this identity was beautifying herself and all the clothes made available to her.

Proud and curious she pulled her phone out as soon as she stepped inside the elevator. Maybe she wanted to take a few pictures or two, but as soon as she opened her phone she heard footsteps. She lost all senses of time and ability to function when she recognized Sehun. For a second she heard herself gulp loudly before he shifted to stand beside her. Without meaning to, she started sweating deliriously. 

"Nice seeing you here," he greeted coolly. 

All Namjoo could focus on were the numbers in the wall counting each level as they went up. From the corner of her eyes she could see him running his eyes over her before the corner of his lips flared up. She couldn't tell if he was saying he was satisfied with her outfit or if he was mocking her for trying hard to cover up.  

Namjoo wanted to call him a jerk face-to-face, but the bigger part of her wasn't yet ready to talk to him. Once the doors opened he stepped out, Namjoo following while biting her lips.  

A private dining hall hidden behind a circular door was awaiting them. A long table decked with empty plates and wine glasses before every chair was ready to be used once dinner arrived. As of yet only the two of them were present. Namjoo wanted to slither to the ground wishing she should have gone to the car with her parents. 

Grabbing a chair she first sat down, wondering when the rest would arrive. She gulped another time when Sehun pulled out the seat beside her and sat there dignified. From him she sensed an aura of high authority, proud and greedy; to jab her in the stomach that he stood on a higher stool. To save the silence the door slid open and she turned to see Kai filing in with his parents. She'd only met them when at dinner gatherings for the business. Like Kai, they seemed generous and kind. 

"You're already here?" His mother smiled at her. "Did you wait long?" 

Sitting straight up in her chair Namjoo gifted her a smile, "I just got here too." 

Getting up Sehun greeted them with a bow and shook hands with Kai and his father. Instead of sitting beside her Kai opted for the seat across her, sending her a sweet smile now that they were in front of each other. Within due time her parents also arrived and the elders warmly greeted each other noisily. A few important business personnel also joined them and dinner finally ensued. 

"It's about time, Kai, getting married at last," one of the businessman congratulated. "I'm envious. My son is older than you, but he still hasn't settled down." 

Namjoo listened to Kai laugh heartily and turned to look at her obviously joyed. Smiling back emptily she later bit her tongue in remorse. In fact, she didn't know how to feel about this wedding. How had Choon Hee felt about it before she suddenly died? Was Namjoo supposed to step into the shoes of someone happy or call back the wedding? 

Everything just seemed to flow continuously in one direction without her will. The more things progressed, the lack of control she had. Along with all this situation and the messy relationship between the others, how was she to find the man who'd left her sister pregnant, threatened her to kill the baby if she still wanted him which in turn cost her her life?  

"We went to a fortune teller with Kai and Choon Hee's birthdays and horoscopes," his mother explained to hers, "he said we should have their wedding within the next three to four months. It'll bring them prosperity and luck. He also said next month is the best time to conceive or it'll become difficult after that." 

Namjoo barely choked on the slice of steak in and had to quickly drain her glass of water to save herself from embarrassment. From beside her Sehun's knife and fork were busily clattering against his plate, almost as if he could care less about what they wanted to do with her. 

"Well..." her mother seemed to hesitate, "that's quite...something. I don't know what to say. What do you think honey?" 

"Wouldn't having a child be too soon? Having a child before marriage is uncalled for." Her husband shook his head in disagreement. 

"Then have an engagement," one of the men spoke. "It will still give them the right." 

Someone else laughed, "They'll be getting married anyway. What's there to worry about?"

"What about it, Kai?" His mother asked. "Your father and I already talked it through, and we're ok with it. How about getting engaged first? Choon Hee can move in with us in the mean time too." 

Wait...what?!

"Choon Hee's parents have been good friends with us for a long time." His mother went on and turned to her parents. "We'll take good care of her." Then turning toward her and Kai, "Listen to us, ok?"

"Mom," Kai called. 

"Just think about it, doesn't it sound exciting?" His mother excitedly expressed naively. "I'll finally get a grandchild." 

"All right, now calm down," her husband tapped her arm before bringing them back on topic. "About the wedding, since it'll be too cold in December lets have a November wedding."

"November sounds good," her father agreed. "Since you're the groom's side, why don't you decide?"

"Then lets do it the first weekend of the month," he suggested. "It'll give Choon Hee time to settle down."

Why...why weren't they asking for her opinion?!

"What settling down?" His wife questioned. "She can do it this weekend." 

"Lets not push them just yet," her mother tried. "They're still young."

"A woman beyond thirty will have difficulty conceiving," Kai's mother pointed out, "it'll be hard on Choon Hee if they wait. Fortune tellers are right about sixty-percent of the time. What if Choon Hee has difficulty conceiving later? Plus, Kai will be working more than usual at the company after the wedding."

"Yes, yes, there will be an expansion in China. We're still currently working on research labs..." someone's voice entered her ears. 

Another one of the businessman who was there to congratulate them was laughing haughtily. Namjoo's ears literally burned. 

"I know..." her mother weakly replied. "But Choon Hee's a healthy girl. What difficulty will she have later? I also want a grandchild too and I'm glad it's you who will be helping her, but..." 

"There's nothing else to say. Choon Hee is just like my daughter," Kai's mother pressed on. "I will look after her well. Don't you worry." Finally turning to Kai she finally asked, "So what do you say?" 

Namjoo could feel her heart pulsating within her chest. Throughout this whole time she hadn't been given the option to speak. As the voices belonging to the men rambled on in the distant background she felt her mind twirl. 

Wasn't a wedding a big event for a girl?  

Choon Hee had had her own free will to love, but had that been taken control of? Till now Namjoo still had to question how her twin lived. Why was the relationship with her parents far-flung when they seemed like nice people? Why had she and Sehun separated only for her to end up getting married to Kai? Where was Hayoung and Tao in all of this? What kind of link did they have to her pregnancy; her death? Why had Choon Hee hidden her pregnancy? Had her life been controlled by these people? Or had she made decisions, turning her life upside down?                                            

"I have a headache," Kai declared. "Since the wedding date has been finalized, I'm going to take Choon Hee out for some air. I'll return her home later." 

Sliding his chair back he stood to his feet, made his way around the table, and took her hand. 

"Come on, lets go," he voice coaxed with gentleness flurried through her ears. 

Kind guy Kai liked Choon Hee...

Namjoo felt her legs stand up automatically as he pulled her up. She was ready to follow him out, but immediately felt her body get tugged back. At once she and Kai turned their heads to her left to see Sehun holding onto her free hand. 

The room suddenly silenced. 

"The wedding's not happening." Sehun spoke up, his eyes very coolly resting on the mahogany painted wall ahead. 

With heart beating even harder, Namjoo's eyes widened along with everyone else. There was a kind of heat exploding within her chest, spreading over her lungs. Part of her was seemingly excited while another wild half remained dumbfounded over what the hell was going on. 

She was sure they were here to finalize the wedding date, but then talks about having a baby with Kai was suddenly mentioned...and now this.

What a night!

Nothing ever slowed down in Choon Hee's world.  

"What are you talking about?" Kai asked defensively. "Let go of her." 

As if rebelling from being told what to do, Sehun interlocked his fingers through hers and pulled it closer to his chest. 

"I have feelings for her."

"Sehun!" Kai grounded his voice, enunciating each word vexed. 

"Why don't you consider telling everyone the truth first," Sehun rebuked. 

Turning back to look at Kai she caught the movement of his brow twitching. Had Sehun pressed a button?  

What truth? 

"What is he talking about?" Kai's mother asked, her eyes wide. 

Kai's eyes started roaming around the room very silently. Was he nervous?  

What was going on? Namjoo was confused. Kind guy Kai had been hiding something?
 
"Enough," his father ordered. "Kai, come see me." Getting up from his chair he started out of the room and at once Kai's eyes became stern in warning when he glanced at Sehun. 

Releasing her hand he started out after his father and taking the opportunity, Sehun pulled her out of the room. Helpless to the strength of the pull Namjoo blindly followed, her mind in a bewildered mess. Dismissing the elevators, Sehun led her down the stairs where her feet clattered against the steps clumsily, barely managing to keep her heels on. Suddenly appearing down a red carpeted hallway he swiftly turned, pulling a door open. Inside, a dim yellow glow melted over them and alas he let go of her hand. 

Rubbing the warmth of his leftover touch on her hand she turned when he closed the door. Nervousness kicked in too slowly for her to properly react. Unable to meet eyes with him Namjoo moved toward a window to escape. The sky was completely black, just like Tao's hair. Lights were b brilliantly over the city and the little headlights decorated the streets busily. She was forced to turn when Sehun suddenly pulled the drapes down. 

His head was leveled back as if testing her for any fault in appearance. Namjoo's eyes swayed back and forth anxiously. 

"You left early this morning," he finally started, lowering his head. "If you hadn't left, I would have been honest with you."

Honest...honest about what? 

Namjoo selfishly wanted to dismiss her curiosity and ask him if he'd meant what he'd said about having feelings for her. This, though, could be about Choon Hee and she couldn't miss it. 

"But the chance already slipped away," he went on. "Now I want an answer from you." 

Namjoo stepped back when he took a stride forward almost dangerously. Slightly scared and more agitated than wanted, she pressed her lips together to fight for calm. Guessing what was on his mind was an ability she had yet to learn. Suddenly he seemed more intimidating than any other time. 

With a turn of her head she stared at the yellow-white wall she'd bumped into and turned to face him. She'd gotten herself cornered...how stupid of her!  

What did he want to say? Why did she feel so uneasy? 

"Who are you?" 

The sudden pressure inside her ears popped; her heart threatening to burst. 

"I'm Choon Hee," she spoke in a breathless whisper. 

A soft slapping sound effect echoed in her ears when he placed his hand against the wall beside her head. Shrinking back Namjoo edged her chin downwards. 

"Choon Hee doesn't have a scar on her shoulder," Sehun breathlessly revealed. "That girl has never gotten hurt." 

Ok, that was the last blow. Namjoo was suddenly very frightened. With cover blown she was unable to summon up other ideas on the spot. Nervousness was one of her weaknesses.  

"Who are you?" After a moment of silence, "Why are you pretending to be Choon Hee?" 

All her senses went to the pounding in her ears. What should she say? The truth? Or make up a lie? What should she do to save herself? 

With lips slightly trembling Namjoo decided to hit him directly, "Did you dump her because you got her pregnant? It was you, wasn't it?" 

Trying to pull herself together in order to look tough, she lifted her eyes up to stare at him straight on. The strong light of provocation still remained in his eyes. Did this guy never express himself? What was with the face? How the hell had she been attracted to him? 

"I never slept with her." 

Her expression suddenly transitioned to a blank one.  

What did this mean? Was he really being honest?                       
 
If it was like this, which one of them was telling the truth? 

Hayoung placed blame on the three guys, yet she'd gone as far as to replace Choon Hee. Had she been jealous of her? If the girls both had feelings for Sehun, had she been jealous of her friend? Did she have something to do with Choon Hee's pregnancy; the death? 

Then good friend Tao had been someone who'd heard Choon Hee's heart out. Could he have secretly liked her? He was strong, competent, and was capable of holding anyone down if he tried. Would he harm Choon Hee if he wanted? 

Kai was obviously very nice, but he had been hiding something. How had he gotten the marriage talk with Choon Hee going? Did he like Choon Hee to the extent that he was selfish enough to disregard all she cared about? Maybe even her ex Sehun? Would he have done something to her? 

And now Sehun...Choon Hee's ex was claiming he'd never slept with her. 

Who was lying?


***Point is: Everyone is suspicious! Who seems more like the killer: Sehun who is predominantely agressive and cold. Kai who has secrets. Tao who's always around. Or Hayoung who's supposed to be the bestfriend but told no one about what happened to Choon Hee?